Please, Blizzard, fix my fetishes!

Witch Doctor
I was getting bored with my witch doctor a little while ago, and decided to try out some of the skills that I'd previously dismissed as worthless. So I subbed in Fetish Sycophants for a passive slot, and switched out my gargantuan for Fetish Army.

And I fell in love. Fetishes are so much fun! Sure, they basically don't deal damage and they have the attention span of a squirrel tripping on acid, but they work ridiculously well at distracting mobs. My gameplay has vastly improved since I started using fetishes simply because they give me just enough breathing room to be able strategically reposition, or check a skill cooldown, or give some thought to playing smart instead of just hitting things once and then kiting for all I'm worth and/or dying.

However, the sad truth about fetishes is that they tend to forsake me when I need them most because they get killed so easily. Any monster with an area-of-effect affix, bosses who dish out lots of damage, even just unusually high densities of normals: all of these will deplete my army of miniatures almost instantly and then come after me. As for Fetish Army, I stopped using it instantly because it's always on cooldown when I need it (wasn't worth it even with Devoted Following; 20 seconds of fetishes--or less if they get killed--for every minute and a half is just worthless once you go anywhere with a decent monster density).

So I appeal to Blizzard: please fix fetishes! Here are some suggestions to help mitigate their shortcomings:

• Make fetishes immune to damage, and (for Fetish Sycophants) decrease their time to live. As cool as it is to finish a battle and see 5-10 fetishes following me, I would rather they lived for only 20-40 seconds, but be guaranteed to stay up. If I'm not getting enough fetishes, I can always try to tweak my skills for better proc rates, but if the fetishes are only going to live for five seconds there's little point in using the skill at all.
  • If they continue to be killable, allow them to be more than distractions. You could do this by increasing their damage output (the current 20% of weapon damage is laughable because they spend more than half their time running around frenetically rather than stabbing things) or by granting some or all of them a status effect like poison or burning similar to the Tiki Torchers and Head Hunters runes on Fetish Army.
  • Even if you don't want to mess with Fetish Sycophants, please make Fetish Army useful! Immunity to damage, dealing actual damage themselves, or just a vastly quicker cooldown would all make Fetish Army far more appealing to me. I mean come on: with a 120 second cooldown my barbarian can practically turn into a deity, or call out an earthquake, or summon three ghostly protectors who deal actual damage. My wizard can transform into a freaking energy being. This is not right.
  • Allow The Gidbinn to summon actual fetishes. I was super stoked when I first equipped my Gidbinn, but that quickly turned to disgust when I discovered that the fetishes it summons are literally 1/4 the size of their already-diminuitive cousins, and appear to have about 1/4 the health, as well. Demons sneeze to kill fetishes summoned by Gidbinn. It's pathetic.

Anyone else out there wish fetishes were a bit more viable? Chime in and let Blizzard know that one of the most fun witch doctor skills is yearning for a buff!

tl;dr: fetishes are super fun both in and out of the bedroom! But Blizzard appears to prefer their witch doctors abstinence-only, because fetishes die too easily and deal virtually no damage.
I approve of a fetish buff. Make them last until they die. A 120 second cd on a useless skill is stupid.
You can work around the obnoxious cooldown on Fetish Army with Grave Injustice and some pickup radius items, but the bigger problem is that even when the skill is available more often it's still not very good.
01/27/2013 06:28 PMPosted by Vaidency
You can work around the obnoxious cooldown on Fetish Army with Grave Injustice and some pickup radius items, but the bigger problem is that even when the skill is available more often it's still not very good.

Yeah, Grave Injustice would be a nice way to offset the cooldown, but even with a shorter cooldown it's difficult to justify Fetish Army. I'd want to get the cooldown to 60 seconds tops to be useful, and ironically if I'm killing that many enemies at once I probably don't need Fetish Army because 1) that many enemies makes my proc rates go through the roof for Fetish Sycophants, and 2) when I need guaranteed fetishes on demand the most is when I'm down to three champions that are focusing too heavily on me. In which case I'm not killing anyone very quickly and the Fetish Army invariably dies instantly due to plagued/molten/arcane/just getting hit, so I'd be hit with the full cooldown when I least want it regardless.

If I do any "lower than my pay grade" MP runs, though, that would be a fun way to have a whole lot of fetishes on screen at all times. I might have to try that sometime just for the novelty factor.
01/27/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Skaak
! Sure, they basically don't deal damage and they have the attention span of a squirrel tripping on acid

lol that is really funny!
Please do comment on my suggestions with regards to Fetishes. I synergize the Fetish scyophant passive with some of the active skills instead of buffing the fetishes directly.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593582072
they wont buff anything for us for the next patch cus we are right now the class that have the most fun playing (pve or pvp) and they want ppl to burn more $$ on 0 dog build first b4 making other different build playable
01/28/2013 05:42 PMPosted by Hmongster
they wont buff anything for us for the next patch

I'm aware of this (they explicitly mentioned in one of the blog posts that they don't plan to change any classes other than wizard and monk this patch, if memory serves), but there's always the patch after that!
fetishes for the win!!!
Its funny I just tried fetish sycophants for the first time last night. I was having a lot of fun. But ultimately they could make it more interesting.

They should buff Fetish Sycophants to have the health your were talking about in the OP and also add this.

"Whenever you cast a physical realm spell you have a 5% chance to summon a dagger wielding fetish and in addition a chance to proc an extra hunter fetish, or tiki torch fetish."

Why let it be boring and only summon one type of fetish. The proc rate could be like your crit chance. So if you have a 30% chance to crit you apply that to 5% chance and you would get a 1.5% chance in addition to get one of those extra fetishes.
I like Jibikao's idea too add a chance to proc the blowgun and torch guys. That would add a ton of flavor. Also the damage could be buffed, I agree
For starters you dont use Fetish Sycophants with the Army skill.

Any Fetish from sycophants get replaced with the Army ones.

i.e if you have 7 out from sycophants they are removed and replaced by the one's from army.

The thing I would most wish to see them do is give the Fetish Sycophants passive the abilty to randomly spawn differnt Fetish and not just the dagger one's.

The Army skill needs alot of love though.

Ok guys if you look at my profile you will see I'm working on a FL/Thorns build here.

Things I can pass on.

FL works with the Fetish.

i.e. Life Reg/Thorns is passed on.

They get 20% dmg like the army ones.

They scale just like are other pets.

i.e. Health/Armor/Rest.

Mine omost never die but I'm still only farming 1mp. So take that with a large grain of salt.

Edit: No Force Armor though that I have noticed anyways.

Edit: Forgot to though in there that passives like Jungle Fortitude and Bad Medican also keep this guys going too.
01/30/2013 08:04 AMPosted by Umbra
Forgot to though in there that passives like Jungle Fortitude and Bad Medican also keep this guys going too.

Interesting, that's definitely worth knowing. I may have to experiment with Jungle Fortitude and see if it can help their survivability enough to be worth giving up another passive.

Trouble is that devoting more than one passive to the fetishes is a tough call; too many other passives I want to use! :-)
Forgot to though in there that passives like Jungle Fortitude and Bad Medican also keep this guys going too.

Interesting, that's definitely worth knowing. I may have to experiment with Jungle Fortitude and see if it can help their survivability enough to be worth giving up another passive.

Trouble is that devoting more than one passive to the fetishes is a tough call; too many other passives I want to use! :-)

Your totaly right. This guys or this passive only works for me becouse I'm building a FL/Thorns build.

I still feel they need some love.

I think just making pve aoe not hit them would fix surviablity of this guys for pve.

And I love the ideal of adding flavor into the passive by randomly geting dager/blow dart/fire thower one's would be totaly awsome and win win.

Right now some Elites and most all bosses aoe flaten this guys. And like you said dont realy need them for normal trash mobs.

They do help when you run across a realy large pack but thats about it. They do help raise my clearing times though. Burn though normal mobs alot faster and even most elites when I can CC them just right.

The 20% dmg is very good. The short time spand and geting flatened realy fast and easy not so much.

I do think becouse of the 20% dmg if they get main targeted they should have the glass cannon effect of going splat.

It's the fact of all of them going splat and doing no dmg do to heavy aoe that makes this guys suck.

And Army needs alot of love.
01/30/2013 05:45 PMPosted by Umbra
I think just making pve aoe not hit them would fix surviablity of this guys for pve.

That's a good call; area of effect is often what wipes out my fetish army. Bosses usually one-shot them, but since the boss can only focus on one at a time, that's at least a problem that I can mitigate by tweaking my build for better proc effects.

I, too, would love to see random flavorful fetishes pop up from time to time. Would add a lot of fun to the skill without changing the balance of it much at all.