CHEST ARMOR Doesn't look like armor

General Discussion
This little rant is mainly directed at how armor appears on barbarians, but it could apply to other classes as well.

Remember how the Paladin looked with -in particular a cuirass- just about any chest piece in Diablo 2? He looked like he was wearing a suit of armor.. in other words, a protective SHELL. This also applied to other classes and most armor pieces. It looked like armor

In Diablo 3 all the chest pieces look like "skins" (instead of a "plate") that fold and tightly adhere to the character's torso. It's awful. You have these massive honking shoulder pieces that actually do look like armor, on top of a form-fitting "t-shirt" with a texture painted on it. That is not "armor". I mean, when the barb stands there in the character screen, and he's breathing and moviing, the Immortal King chest piece FOLDS at his abdomen!

I also dislike most boots in this game. Most of them look terrible, imo, with *animal claws* and gaudy colors (Firewalkers on a Wiz? Ice Climbers on a barb? Ugh).

Is there a point to this? I dunno.. I suspect many players sympathize, many don't care, and a lot of people will say "there's a lot more important things to fix in the game". Fair enough.
Call me shallow, but this very same reason is exactly why I quit WoW all the way back during Vanilla.
i hate the giant shoulders on all classes, i think blizz's art department has a real fetish issue. other than that, while i feel that they chest plates (emphasis on plate) could look a little more like, you know, a think piece of metal, its largely fine.
01/31/2013 01:13 PMPosted by Keltest
i hate the giant shoulders on all classes, i think blizz's art department has a real fetish issue. other than that, while i feel that they chest plates (emphasis on plate) could look a little more like, you know, a think piece of metal, its largely fine.

You're right. Interesting to note that this issue ALSO exists in WoW.
01/31/2013 01:10 PMPosted by TurkishMafia
I really like the way armor looks in PoE. You also don't have any of that paw/animal claw looking boots, etc. Too bad there is so much suck in PoE regarding core elements that makes it worthless to play.

PoE does a lot of things right graphically.. but I'm kind of annoyed that my duelist is halfway through act 2 and he still has those red sleeves visible.. They really could add some more item slots to enhance character appearance.

Core elements.. I just don't like the combat. It feels.. laborious. And especially for ranged characters, you may as well be melee, because every monster is right on top of you right away, it's incredibly rare that I get to fire an arrow even halfway across the screen. And I don't like playing in parties, because I think shared loot ought to be a thing of the past. D3 got that right for sure.

Ok I'm also annoyed by finding a great piece of armor that only has one socket. And the fact that you don't really know what potential items exist and what potential skills you might find, so navigating the admittedly very cool passive tree becomes frustrating because respec is limited.

But it is in beta, so have to give it a pass on a lot of things.

ANYWAY, back to the topic, I never played (nor even saw much of) WoW, but I do get the impression that far too much of its influence is present in D3. The Shoulders are definitely ridiculous.
And I know the monk is more of a "spiritual" fighter than a traditional one, but coudn't they have something that looks a little more resilient than a robe? I mean, they dont' have a problem letting a skinny little wizard hold a massive 2-handed mace, so why can't all classes have a few pieces of armor that look like armor?
01/31/2013 04:22 PMPosted by Agamemnicon
I really like the way armor looks in PoE. You also don't have any of that paw/animal claw looking boots, etc. Too bad there is so much suck in PoE regarding core elements that makes it worthless to play.

PoE does a lot of things right graphically.. but I'm kind of annoyed that my duelist is halfway through act 2 and he still has those red sleeves visible.. They really could add some more item slots to enhance character appearance.

Core elements.. I just don't like the combat. It feels.. laborious. And especially for ranged characters, you may as well be melee, because every monster is right on top of you right away, it's incredibly rare that I get to fire an arrow even halfway across the screen. And I don't like playing in parties, because I think shared loot ought to be a thing of the past. D3 got that right for sure.

Ok I'm also annoyed by finding a great piece of armor that only has one socket. And the fact that you don't really know what potential items exist and what potential skills you might find, so navigating the admittedly very cool passive tree becomes frustrating because respec is limited.

But it is in beta, so have to give it a pass on a lot of things.

ANYWAY, back to the topic, I never played (nor even saw much of) WoW, but I do get the impression that far too much of its influence is present in D3. The Shoulders are definitely ridiculous.
And I know the monk is more of a "spiritual" fighter than a traditional one, but coudn't they have something that looks a little more resilient than a robe? I mean, they dont' have a problem letting a skinny little wizard hold a massive 2-handed mace, so why can't all classes have a few pieces of armor that look like armor?

if you look carefully theres plenty of plate mail in the monks robes. Plus, its not out of the question that theyre wearing something under them as well.
I used a blackthorne's surcoat for a while, hated every minute of it. It's just two friggin leather straps that go across my barb's chest! This is Diablo, not a gay bar.

Also, second the "hating stupid animal claw boots" thing.
remember how dusk, and wire fleece looked on a barb?
yea skin type armors, and it was everyone's fav.

blackthorns on a barb looks pretty epic.
just looked at your profile picture, that's how barbs are meant to be!
what kind of barb runs around heavily armored? that ain't no barb!
01/31/2013 06:59 PMPosted by vinny
Of all the terrible things wrong with this game, you're complaining about how chest armor appears on barbs? You must think this is the greatest game of all time - except for the appearance of chest armor, of course. People like you are the reason this game still sucks. You care about pointless crap instead of actually making a working game.

Thanks for trolling. If you were to examine all the posts I've made, I have dozens upon dozens of well-thought out critiques of this game, but I suppose that since I have an opinion about something that other players also seem to think is silly, that's ALL I care about.
01/31/2013 06:59 PMPosted by vinny
Of all the terrible things wrong with this game, you're complaining about how chest armor appears on barbs? You must think this is the greatest game of all time - except for the appearance of chest armor, of course. People like you are the reason this game still sucks. You care about pointless crap instead of actually making a working game.

It's quite obvious they don't want to fix the important things, so what's left to complain about: stupid details like this.

My female barb is wearing a rare CHEST ARMOR, yet, in-game, it looks like a belly shirt.
That won't work!
Tyrael's Might
+
Depth Diggers
+
Inna's Temperance
+
Ice Climbers
=
Richard Simmons the Barbarian
ahh... this harks back to a whole lack of attention to detail in the whole game that kills me inside - witch doctor picks up armour, puts it on - its green body paint ... what the?

its a core difference in the development teams... The original team seemed to be a bit more consistent in the designing of details- if something was drawn some way, there was a reason and it stayed the same across the board .. Current D3 team just thinks what would be cool and change everything to match even though it doesnt make sense .. .

armours magically completely change aesthetic depending on your character class and not on attributes (monk = robes, WD = paint , barb = leather/ chestplate. -...

What is wrong with high dex/dodge armour being more open and high strength/protection being more solid? reflect the build you were going for - oh thats right , no character building anymore..

immersion breaking stuff..
Here is the problem with your logic,

You are thinking WARRIOR and not BARBARIAN.

Go and watch something that has knights and kings and you will see warriors with armor.
Go watch Conan the Barbarian and tell me what he wears.

Barbarian =/= Paladin or Warrior
02/01/2013 06:58 AMPosted by TheDoctor
Barbarian =/= Paladin or Warrior

True, but it still sucks taht barbarian endgame armour does not look like remotely as armors that barbarians in fantasy movies/comics/games wear. I would like some awesome chainmail with fur instead of plate armor that barbarians have now.

Some early level armors look much more better then lategame.