Dueling Re-Named to Brawling

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 Next
For everyone saying we should call it something like Arena or Sparring, I have one thing to say to you:

Good god(s) man, think about what you're doing will you?! They may take that into consideration and spend another week in boardroom meetings deliberating the merits of those suggestions and delay the patch even longer.
If Blizzard was the captain of the Titanic:

That's not an ice "berg", it's an ice "floe"... Helmsman, one degree starboard. Wait, no... one degree port. Belay that. Helmsman, stay the course?
*slow clap*
What a childs game this series has become.

I recall dueling and open world PK in Diablo 2. Why now do I have to line up like a sissy at a npc to be put in an arena to brawl? You people, I swear.

Great post though, seriously out of all the things that could use some insight, this was clearly worth choosing to post a topic about. *Slow Clap* indeed.
02/08/2013 12:00 PMPosted by Lylirra
I'm gonna go ahead and call it dueling, if you corporate types don't mind. Stop trying so hard to not be Diablo 2, it's kinda pathetic.

Most of the feedback we've been seeing from players has been in the context of what dueling was in Diablo II and how it exists in other games. Generally speaking, dueling in other games has always been something that you can do in the normal world at a moment’s notice (or at least initiate at a moment’s notice through a challenge). It’s something that only involves two people, and carries with it the expectation of formality and structure, and to a degree…fairness. That’s not really what dueling (now brawling) is about in Diablo III, and we want to make sure that the scope of the system isn't being misrepresented by its name.
-_- hes right though just dont wanna be like D2 even though D2 was awesome. D3 is not as good but doesnt really suck then comes this completely stupid "brawling" system.
You could name it Fluffy Puff Puff Puff and Stuff and I still don't support the system given.
The name change makes sense to me given the additional info. Now when is patch 1.07 coming out?
It does make sense and it still leaves the possibility for an incorporation of an actual dueling system in the future.
I was fix ten major bugs on my work and prepare one commercial release
since time a Diablo developers was think a how to rename 1 word.
What Blizzard accomplishes in a whole week with hundreds employees:

Changes name of 'dueling' to 'brawling'

What Grinding Gear Games changes in a whole week with 18 employees:

Numerous bug fixes and game crashes,
2 patches on average
UI modifications and polishing
Server stability constantly improving

I'm sorry I just have a hard time taking Blizzard seriously.
Most of the feedback we've been seeing from players has been in the context of what dueling was in Diablo II and

...diablo 2 was better so i can understand it
Let's waste our time resources and boatloads of money on fine tuning semantics.

Then let's issue a detailed post explaining said semantics.

Is this a gaming company?
02/10/2013 01:25 PMPosted by Captain
Most of the feedback we've been seeing from players has been in the context of what dueling was in Diablo II and

...diablo 2 was better so i can understand it

Oh my ! You're way too constructive, you're helping way too much!
Oh noes!
Stop!

/end-sarcasm
I'm gonna go ahead and call it dueling, if you corporate types don't mind. Stop trying so hard to not be Diablo 2, it's kinda pathetic.

Most of the feedback we've been seeing from players has been in the context of what dueling was in Diablo II and how it exists in other games. Generally speaking, dueling in other games has always been something that you can do in the normal world at a moment’s notice (or at least initiate at a moment’s notice through a challenge). It’s something that only involves two people, and carries with it the expectation of formality and structure, and to a degree…fairness. That’s not really what dueling (now brawling) is about in Diablo III, and we want to make sure that the scope of the system isn't being misrepresented by its name.

Seriously? You are basically saying (my interpretation) "we can't make it as good as dueling, and really, we won't, so we're going to call it something else so you won't mistake it with something that could be really good".

Why not continue to call it dueling and then actually make it good. You know, like dueling.
After reviewing feedback from the PTR, we've decided to rename dueling to brawling

The system is all about letting players fight for the sake of fighting—you don’t need to worry about objectives, rewards, or scoring, and that’s exactly what we love about it. But again, that’s not really dueling; it’s brawling!

Give a lazy person a problem and they will always figure out the easiest solution. Rather than changing the system to fit the name, they went and changed the name to fit the system. The most time-efficient and cost-effective way of doing it. Yes makes sense, minimize waste and boost profits. Complaints about PvP are no longer applicable since this not dueling and rather, from hereupon, shall be referred to as brawling. I am glad we no longer have to "worry" about dueling ahem* excuse me, brawling. Ahh I see what you did there, GG Blizz.
Haha, very funny. Like Blizzard would hype a 5 minute name change this much. Come on, where's the real news relating to the actual game. There's no way this announcement is for real, right?
Yeah Umm, d3 is nothing compared to the first two Diablo titles. I wonder why that is? Maybe because instead of making a skills based game (where you could counter the pay to win players with better over all skill) you made one that is dependant upon items... No matter what u do to change skills or buffs every so often, it isn't really to improve the class. It's to change the class enough to make everyone has to go buy different gear (money in your pockets). Hey here's an idea instead of trying to make yourself money why not build on the foundation (one of the all time best titles in in history IMO) that was gift wrapped for you? You make yourself less money in the long run by making the population buy new gear every year or so (mostly because any smart person realizes how petty blizzard is) because people leave the game. Where as if you had built a solid game you would have 10x the population and would balance the scales of profit. Guess what else, your one chance to get everyone back to d3 was PVP, but people are gonna come back and realize the FAIL that is dueling or brawling or wack, or other label u want to put on it. I see blues response now "But it's not PVP its brawling, team death match is coming soon" Look in the words of Tommy Callahan of Callahan motors "Look if u want me to take a dump in a box and label it guaranteed, I will... I have spare time...), change guaranteed to PVP/d3 and it works. You have had AMPLE amount of time to drop any player vs player you guys have... And this is it, all you guys have up your sleeve? Blizzard fails, and I fail since I am the fool who never gave up hope. So go ahead and think of this as treason and delete it real fast before more can read it. I am going to play SWTOR since it has 1: Open world dueling 2: actual team death match 3: and lastly a better over all gaming experience with 10x the population and last but not least 4: ITS ALSO FREE TO PLAY. Good bye Blizzard, thinks for the huge disappointment you have been.
So its renamed because its not like the dueling connotation.

Here's an idea: Make it like the dueling connotation!
You really think that everyone wanted the dueling from D2 because they didn't want D2 duelling, they wanted to ffa punch each other?
And after dueling as a mechanic has been shaped by various games for the last decade you don't think that any of us wanted that? Some way to fight people in a semi constructed fashion?
And my god with the lack of match making! Not to mention you CANNOT leave a group. At all. You can leave the game and the game will cut you like a plug-puller, but you can't opt out.

So after I get my beats do I re-login, or do I move my mouse another centimeter and quit?