Attack speed breakpoints for Living Lightning

Wizard

8 is max for single target "normal size" creatures. Large creatures like bosses area actually multiple targets, or so I theorize. That also explains why we have some theories floating around that CM actually procs more than it should on them.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the CM tests have been done on zombies in Act 1, so the boss size hitbox doesn't seem to matter. I'm not 100% sure though so it is an interesting point.

I'm still inclined to think there might be more like 10 tics every 2 seconds because that would mean 37% weapon damage per second, which matches the tooltip damage. Have you tried testing by casting at a zombie then teleporting behind the zombie so it follows the LL, thus staying in the range longer?

8 is max for single target "normal size" creatures. Large creatures like bosses area actually multiple targets, or so I theorize. That also explains why we have some theories floating around that CM actually procs more than it should on them.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the CM tests have been done on zombies in Act 1, so the boss size hitbox doesn't seem to matter. I'm not 100% sure though so it is an interesting point.

I'm still inclined to think there might be more like 10 tics every 2 seconds because that would mean 37% weapon damage per second, which matches the tooltip damage. Have you tried testing by casting at a zombie then teleporting behind the zombie so it follows the LL, thus staying in the range longer?

I have done it on frost nova'd zombies... lots.they are pretty still.Better would be to test in brawler arena
The problem with frozen zombies are they have a small hitbox, so the LL moves out of range before it expires. Though I guess if you had a large number of mobs so that your LL hit something for the entire duration, you could count the number of tics. I recommended the teleporting because then you might be able to get the zombie and LL to basically stay together for the entire duration, thus more easily calculating the total number of tics. Alternatively you could try against Belial, since he's big enough to take the max number of tics. The brawler arena sounds like a good option too.
I'm also seeing 11 ticks per cast max (Azmodan test).

16-16 wpn dmg
1920 Int
2.387 aps
1245.65 sheet dps

Each tick lands for 24 dmg non-crit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA3-v3Q7h-E&feature=youtu.be
02/08/2013 01:02 PMPosted by RHVfan
I use LL for getting CM to improve my Archon regen rate, saw the build in the forums awhile back.

Similarly, I've been using LL mainly as a cooldown reducer for Diamond Skin on my hardcore wizard. Also never looked at it mathematically but during most elite encounters, I'm able to keep DS up nearly constantly just spamming LL (my attack speed and crit chance aren't that great either).

I've been using LL for awhile on softcore and kind of just played around with silly builds (LL+Seeker) like the following back when I resumed playing. Nowhere near as good as WW but it was just different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF82hXIUsxw

I've also used both LL+WW with only 10 APoC and had quite a bit of fun playing the following build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bVXYdT!bgT!cYcZbc

Anyway, it is interesting seeing these numbers.
pertinent?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004036888?page=1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgL5S3Revw9ddEhScEpSLWhnRDZKV25OaWZJcHdkN0E#gid=8
This game is so great because there are people like you, Shaggy

Thanks!
Edit: Hopefully the charts are at least readable now, although very ugly.

Ok I have done a lot more frame-by-frame research and have a lot of conclusions.

From the time it can first hit to the time it cannot hit is exactly 2 seconds, however cast time to full animation stop is longer, there is time at the beginning and end where it cannot proc.

Meaning the breakpoints are more straight forward:

Because it stays out for 2 seconds, there is an obvious relationship of 2x your APS, however the animations don't match the ability to proc, I was counting animations before and that was a mistake. Higher attack speeds don't necessarily make it so you can have more out at a time, but they do give you more procs per second as there is a lot of wiggle room. From what I can see, more attack speed is better and there may not be significant breakpoints at all.

It ticks 4 times per second (8 ticks per cast, one for each "step" the lightning guy takes) regardless of APS. Each tick releases any number of lightning strikes against all nearby targets.

I tested vs up to ten targets, there does not appear to be ANY limit to concurrent targets, all of them were hit any time the LL ticked and was in range.

Example single target hit count for a normal size mob.
5 times at melee range (the LL gets out of range for the last 3 ticks
8 times if at perfect distance (all 8 ticks are in range at this distance http://imgur.com/YdAF257 )
1 time if they are right behind you, only the first tick is in range
:
Assuming:
50% crit, 20 APoC, Melee range (not optimal range).

These numbers are PER TARGET

APS_____Hit/sec___APoC/sec__PrdgyAP/Sec_CM/sec_______Proc/Sec
1_______6.25______12.5______25__________0.625________1.25
1.25____7.8125____15.625____31.25_______0.78125______1.5625
1.5_____9.375_____18.75_____37.5________0.9375_______1.875
1.75____10.9375___21.875____43.75_______1.09375______2.1875
2_______12.5______25________50__________1.25_________2.5
2.25____14.0625___28.125____56.25_______1.40625______2.8125
2.5_____15.625____31.25_____62.5________1.5625_______3.125
2.75____17.1875___34.375____68.75_______1.71875______3.4375
3_______18.75_____37.5______75__________1.875________3.75
3.25____20.3125___40.625____81.25_______2.03125______4.0625

APS = Attacks per second
Hit/Sec = The amount of times you will hit enemies per second
APoC/Sec = The number of Arcane power points you will gain per second from 20 Arcane power on crit.
PrdgyAP/Sec = The number of Arcane power points you will gain per second from Prodigy passive.
CM/Sec = The number of seconds Critical mass will reduce your cooldowns by per second.
Proc/Sec = Multiplier for Life On Hit per second and Arcane Dynamo Flashes per second

Please note, these values are only 5/8 the maximum value possible multiplier, because melee range is not optimal. The Maximum (perfect aim) values are here:

APS_____Hit/sec___APoC/sec__PrdgyAP/Sec_CM/sec__Proc/Sec
1_______16________32________64__________1.6_____3.2
1.25____20________40________80__________2_______4
1.5_____24________48________96__________2.4_____4.8
1.75____28________56________112_________2.8_____5.6
2_______32________64________128_________3.2_____6.4
2.25____36________72________144_________3.6_____7.2
2.5_____40________80________160_________4_______8
2.75____44________88________176_________4.4_____8.8
3_______48________96________192_________4.8_____9.6
3.25____52________104_______208_________5.2_____10.4

Notable exceptions: Missile Dampening changes the duration for living lightning from 2 seconds to 4 seconds, but does not change its proc rate. The effect is the exact same as DOUBLING your attack speed. Thanks Sokahr.

Awesome info, man. Thanks!
Shaggy, sorry for the noob question, but for an Archon wiz, based on your tests, is the 2.0 APS recommended on the hybrid archon guide still the right minimum threshold, or should I get more because "more attack speed is better"?

I recently tried a new weapon (on my MP3 farm run) with an APS that took me below 2.0 and used LL. The LL attack did not seem as efficient as before the switch. It could also have been my imagination as I was already wondering if it would be an issue.....

THANKS!
Shaggy, sorry for the noob question, but for an Archon wiz, based on your tests, is the 2.0 APS recommended on the hybrid archon guide still the right minimum threshold, or should I get more because "more attack speed is better"?

I recently tried a new weapon (on my MP3 farm run) with an APS that took me below 2.0 and used LL. The LL attack did not seem as efficient as before the switch. It could also have been my imagination as I was already wondering if it would be an issue.....

THANKS!

As far as we know now, attack speed and living lightning scale linearly. Going from 1.9-->2.0 is just as much of a gain as going from 2.0-->2.1