Inferno was fun once

General Discussion
I remember when i first hit inferno( way before alll the nerfs came) how much of a challenge it was, and how exciting finding a new upgrade was. It made me want to keep playing in hopes id be able to soon beat the act i was on.

I will never truly understand why blizzard nerfed inferno in the way they did, i can understand a slight damage reduction, but what they did to inferno was just sad. Inferno was never ment to be farm mode for everyone, and it was something that i looked forward to and u had to be a top player to achieve.
Alltho it was screwed up on release due to people exploiting there way through, i believe if blizzard was to introduce a ladder system( or whatever else) and start it over again on a higher difficulty ( lets say the current mp3-4) inferno will be much more challenging and more enjoyable, it was never ment for everyone to be able to farm. it was suppose to be for people who have cleared HELL a few times and have the gear to move on, and then u where suppose to farm act 1 for gear, then 2 etc etc

People always complaing about items and crap, this is one of the reasons why the games items havent bin able to hold up, not everyone is suppose to be able to farm inferno, to get those gg trifectas and everything was suppose to be a reward for the top of the top players, now if u dont get them every few runs people whine and complain.............

tldr version: put in a ladder or whatever, make inferno more challenging again.
Agree. I think the saddest part of the inferno nerf was how unnecessary it was. Given the gear we all have now, we would all be facerolling inferno by now anyway. Even without increasing the drop rates and quality of items four or five times inferno would be on farm mode by now. Instead we have dial difficulty in the place of a paced difficult progression curve.

If they are going to nerf content or increase drops, or make new more powerful items (which I am actually for) they should be accompanied by new challenging content at least. I know the item carrot is the biggest, but a content carrot, even just an optional one, would be nice too.
i agree, people who where unable to play whined and got there way, and now look at the state of the game, the addition of ubers was great, and the buff of legendaries( even tho un needed) was a step in the right direction as well, very little has bin done to increase the amount of actual content in the game. This is something that needs to be adressed as well,

So we need a ladder, them to buff the difficulty of inferno and to add a little more content every now and then.
I do not think an official ladder is feasible due to the player outrage that would be caused. The nature of D3 obviously surrounds a more permanent type of a character. No need to ever reroll, paragon now, etc.

But, new items combined with new content is basically the equivalent of a ladder without having to level 1-60 again. Everyone races to get the best new gear, races to be able to faceroll content, etc. I think its the best we can do, and good compromise between static and ladder.

It has to be real new content however, not something like ubers.

Edit to add.

There should be some ladder like scoreboard added as well. First to clear new content, fastest clears of X Y or Z, highest dps, highest EHP. Gear and content, even levels when they raise the cap. Some sort of hall of fame, both for firsts, but also a scoreboard that is always beatable if you get a little faster, little stronger, etc.

I think there are a lot of ways to combine permanent with a ladder feel.
i remember being stuck at act 1. had to farm the hell out of that act for 3-4 weeks. while my DHs were at act 4 and barbs at act 3.

anyway, i remember them saying they did that because they never intended the difference in difficulty per act that huge. you literally hit a wall after every act.

it's undeniably true that its a LOT LOT more easier now. although there is still the high MP levels that is still challenging.

problem is, it's not rewarding. they're doing an XP buff to higher MPs, which i'm not certain if it's a step at the right direction. i'd still personally be leveling at a lower MP level. fast speed, more drops, now higher xp.

imo, there should be exclusive drops per "MP Tier". i'm personally not expecting any new content from Blizzard until expansion. at least from what i understand about the content you're referring to.

what i'd like to see is a OMFG UBER DIFFICULT level/area. it's so hard that it's IMPOSSIBLE to finish solo.
I only managed to make it through Act I and II with a tank DH build, but hit another wall at Act III. The mobs I think had substantially more health and damage then they do now. I seriously doubt however that Inferno Diablo had 270m health like he does on MP10. I know Inferno elites had millions of health, but I don't think it was that inflated. Act III elites supposedly had up to 4m health...and that would have required me to grind a loooong time to get past.

Frankly a lot of the affixes were absolutely a pain in the butt prenerf, but they were doable. It just sucked if you had lag and not enough EHP to take a few hits. The problem was that Blizzard was nerfing builds people spent considerable gold and time building to play the game creatively. I think a lot of people just got frustrated with progression and also with nerfs to classes as well.

Ultimately there was nothing in D3 to do except grind away at the inferno wall or just run Hell or Nightmare for gold. There was nothing else to do. Bosses were pointless to bother killing as well.
I only managed to make it through Act I and II with a tank DH build, but hit another wall at Act III. The mobs I think had substantially more health and damage then they do now. I seriously doubt however that Inferno Diablo had 270m health like he does on MP10. I know Inferno elites had millions of health, but I don't think it was that inflated. Act III elites supposedly had up to 4m health...and that would have required me to grind a loooong time to get past.

Frankly a lot of the affixes were absolutely a pain in the butt prenerf, but they were doable. It just sucked if you had lag and not enough EHP to take a few hits. The problem was that Blizzard was nerfing builds people spent considerable gold and time building to play the game creatively. I think a lot of people just got frustrated with progression and also with nerfs to classes as well.

Ultimately there was nothing in D3 to do except grind away at the inferno wall or just run Hell or Nightmare for gold. There was nothing else to do. Bosses were pointless to bother killing as well.

BUT anytime u where grinding and found an upgrade u got that much better, and where able to do ur farming faster and more efficent, eventually from farming act 1 u could have moved onto 2, and then 3 and then 4, its always going to be a stick and carrot situation, but would have bin more rewarding along the way.
I remember when i first hit inferno( way before alll the nerfs came) how much of a challenge it was, and how exciting finding a new upgrade was. It made me want to keep playing in hopes id be able to soon beat the act i was on.

I will never truly understand why blizzard nerfed inferno in the way they did, i can understand a slight damage reduction, but what they did to inferno was just sad. Inferno was never ment to be farm mode for everyone, and it was something that i looked forward to and u had to be a top player to achieve.
Alltho it was screwed up on release due to people exploiting there way through, i believe if blizzard was to introduce a ladder system( or whatever else) and start it over again on a higher difficulty ( lets say the current mp3-4) inferno will be much more challenging and more enjoyable, it was never ment for everyone to be able to farm. it was suppose to be for people who have cleared HELL a few times and have the gear to move on, and then u where suppose to farm act 1 for gear, then 2 etc etc

People always complaing about items and crap, this is one of the reasons why the games items havent bin able to hold up, not everyone is suppose to be able to farm inferno, to get those gg trifectas and everything was suppose to be a reward for the top of the top players, now if u dont get them every few runs people whine and complain.............

tldr version: put in a ladder or whatever, make inferno more challenging again.

Are you farming inferno on MP10? Still too easy? Why not downgrade your gear... top tier gear easily out levels the damage you take in MP10.

BUT anytime u where grinding and found an upgrade u got that much better, and where able to do ur farming faster and more efficent, eventually from farming act 1 u could have moved onto 2, and then 3 and then 4, its always going to be a stick and carrot situation, but would have bin more rewarding along the way.

My point is that the design of this game left us with too little to do. This became a problem in Cataclysm with WoW and those Dev's acknowledged that. People typically want lots of things to do at the end game, or rather just reasons to do other things than progress through difficulty or grind for gear/gold. It's all in how you build the game. They could make killing bosses interesting and rewarding in this game with guaranteed boss specific drops for beating enrage timers. Those drops could improve with more MF equipped. We could get get a better crafting system that allows us to make some very unique gear, an additional system like a Glyph system could be added to promote more build diversity. There are a buttload of options, but simply expecting people to keep killing things for lame loot that has random stats and affixes thrown on it sucks. The Legendary's and Sets were a nice improvement to the game however, but there are a ton of things this game still needs. Hidden levels to find that are added in subsequent patches could also be exciting!

My point is that the design of this game left us with too little to do. This became a problem in Cataclysm with WoW and those Dev's acknowledged that. People typically want lots of things to do at the end game, or rather just reasons to do other things than progress through difficulty or grind for gear/gold. It's all in how you build the game. They could make killing bosses interesting and rewarding in this game with guaranteed drops for beating enrage timers. Those drops could improve with more MF equipped. We could get get a better crafting system that allows us to make some very unique gear, an additional system like a Glyph system could be added to promote more build diversity. There are a buttload of options, but simply expecting people to keep killing things for lame loot that has random stats and affixes thrown on it sucks. The Legendaries and Sets were a nice improvement to the game however, but there are a ton of things this game still needs.

i agree with you completely, my point tho is if they hadnt have nerfed inferno so hard, the content and hunt for gg drops would have last much much longer, and would have given them more time to introduce better content. Bosses use to drop pretty descent gear, i had gotten my first set item from a boss drop.
It would've been interesting to try the original inferno just without the enrage timers. As a witch doctor at the time I didn't find the game to be too "difficult", a lot of monsters kept you on your toes and you had to be careful with your tactics. What killed me most often was monsters that ran away a lot or had shielding or some other mechanic that lowerd my dps. They never could hit me, but that skull and crossbones over their head did the trick. It was a pretty stupid design decision.
02/10/2013 08:52 AMPosted by Vyleblud
It would've been interesting to try the original inferno just without the enrage timers. As a witch doctor at the time I didn't find the game to be too "difficult", a lot of monsters kept you on your toes and you had to be careful with your tactics. What killed me most often was monsters that ran away a lot or had shielding or some other mechanic that lowerd my dps. They never could hit me, but that skull and crossbones over their head did the trick. It was a pretty stupid design decision.

i agree that certain aspects of inferno where designed poorly, and definately needed to be re-worked.
Rage timers being one of them, as well as mobs healing back to fulll health.they did not have to nerf the difficulty into the ground to accomplish this however, small tweaks and design changes would have produced a much better effect.
Hell shoulda been what Inferno is today .. loot up and gear up in Hell.

Then use inferno for questing.

This team is lost when it comes to incremental progression.

Normal, Nightmare, Hell ... all for a days play. Then Inferno for the other 1000 ... simply retarded.
poorly designed becouse at some point you couldn't find any upgrade so you stuck at the beggining of act 2 without any hope.
But I can agree with you, inferno was good, itemization is a crap. They made it easy way and nerfed inferno.
02/10/2013 09:01 AMPosted by SeeknDestroy
Want some challenge? play higher MP or don't use optimized gear. Quite simple really.

i think your missing my point.

poorly designed becouse at some point you couldn't find any upgrade so you stuck at the beggining of act 2 without any hope.
But I can agree with you, inferno was good, itemization is a crap. They made it easy way and nerfed inferno.

it didnt take them long to nerf inferno, how often do u find upgrades ayntime really?
I didn't think it was fun at all, and if you want the same challenge put it on mp10.

And please, "finding upgrades"? I bet you can count on 1 hand how many upgrades you FOUND and did not BUY.
I didn't think it was fun at all, and if you want the same challenge put it on mp10.

And please, "finding upgrades"? I bet you can count on 1 hand how many upgrades you FOUND and did not BUY.

MP 10 is not the same difficulty. It is just long and boring and easy. And gearing down, while turning a dial on monster HP. How is that a fun challenge. Its better than nothing, but come on. Do you not think the combined creative minds of the devs could do better than telling us to down our gear in a gear finding game, and turn a dial if we want challenge?

As to the found upgrades. I do not have enough fingers, and toes, arms, legs, elbows or whatever anatomy to count the amount of found upgrades while I was breaking through the act 2 wasp wall farming act 1. Or, progressing in act 3 etc. And it only took me about 3 weeks to beat the game. It was very different then as there was so little loot in the game, and we were all under geared to the extreme. I do not suggest a reversion to that, but there should be some sort of compromise and optional challenge, and new content to keep an element of that feeling of progression around.
02/10/2013 08:07 AMPosted by Azurewrath
not everyone is suppose to be able to farm inferno, to get those gg trifectas and everything was suppose to be a reward for the top of the top players

Yes, only the best of the best players should be able to take on Inferno. Players like you. After all, it's rare to find a player who can pilot a WW barbarian. You could practice that skill rotation your whole life and never master it.