Hardcore Characters and Account Rollbacks Update

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
02/11/2013 10:30 AMPosted by Potentiality
Team deathmatch: Oh yea, we decided it wasn't fun for you guys, so we added something where you just right click each other aimlessly with no metrics, scoring, progression or reward.

You still don't get it.

Team Deathmatch created a balancing nightmare. Rather than rush something out that EVERYONE would complain about, they eliminated it from the original release.

Those balancing issues would be a constant source of complaints because they got one shotted or they couldn't beat this player or that build. Since team deathmatch had scoring, it would have been doubly troublesome because the complainers would take over the forums demanding their class be buffed to compensate for being unable to beat this character or that build.

They're still getting complaints, but as it is now, the complainers lose nothing because there isn't any score keeping.

• Hardcore characters were never intended to be revived or undeleted by an account rollback. Bringing Hardcore characters back to life via rollback really isn't in the spirit of Hardcore (where death is permanent, no matter the circumstances).

Hardcore characters were never intended to die to a DC or a game crash either. But that's what happened to mine, quite a double standard you have.

To be fair that was always a risk. They just made it more of a "Once every few days" thing instead of, "Once in a few months."
I just peed a little
yay for tomes going up by almost 1k each and rubies about the same :)
no roll-back for HC is great, but there should be some type of automatic immunity for characters when disconnect or lag is an issue.
nah thatd just open the door to people unplugging their modems when they know they are about to die, good idea but exploiters will do anything to win
02/11/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Goldenaxe
Never died once to DC in Path of Exile Hardcore. I'm not saying I don't DC, I do, and a lot in fact, but not once did I die. Instead of creating policies of not reviving anyone, they should go and check the program of GGG.

When a POE HC dies it becomes SC.
Just adopt the PoE technique and move any char that dies from HC to SC.

This way if you were in case of disconnect, grief or whatever you can still play your char in SC, will at least save your work. That doesn't imply you should't fix this issues ASAP, btw. The PoE approach still keeps hardcore hardcore and gives you some comfort if you were in a case of troll death (vote kick) or dc death, but fixing this cases should be your number 1 priority for hardcore!
So instead of addressing the DC problem, this is what you change?

Not that I have ever requested a roll back. But when you going to fix the DC problem? I have never played a game that if you exit the game it takes 10 seconds to leave or if you get disconnected or your PC/game crashes your left in game for 30-60 seconds afterwards. This is a pretty flawed system if you ask me and I know for a fact that it has pissed off many a HC player. You state when we make a HC player we are doing it at our own risk, but then you have a game breaking mechanic that all it takes is one thing to go wrong (power outage/loss of internet...) and you can lose everything. Pretty broken if you ask me. You would think this would be a lot higher on your list. Stop neglecting the HC community and show us that you care about that mode of play!
Go back to town and leave game, it only takes 10 secs when you're in the field.

This way if you were in case of disconnect, grief or whatever you can still play your char in SC, will at least save your work. That doesn't imply you should't fix this issues ASAP, btw. The PoE approach still keeps hardcore hardcore and gives you some comfort if you were in a case of troll death (vote kick) or dc death, but fixing this cases should be your number 1 priority for hardcore!

I don't know, but my hardcore characters would rather die than be "moved to softcore".

I guess if you had the Number#1 top HC toon or you're paragon 100, you might want to keep it.

But for most, you don't really save your work, because a majority of the character's worth is in the gear. And once a hardcore character's gear is brought into softcore, most becomes practically worthless due to how easy gear is to get in SC. A HC wizard with 62k DPS is among the top 300 wizards on the America's. In SC, that's almost equivalent to 2 pieces of brimstone, and 10 pieces of vendor trash.

A fallen hero doomed to live forever in mediocrity? That's a fate worse than death. :p
i can't believe you ever even revived them in the first place

that said, glad you're taking a hardline approach finally
10mos late
Official Patch Notes and server downtime??
A sticky of this should have also been posted in the HC forums since not everyone there reads general...

I thought about this and it just would not be the same because you would really have nothing to lose when playing HC. Right now, I've stopped playing my SC characters because the game play is no longer rewarding given the current state of things.

On HC, one of the rewarding aspects in playing that mode is keeping your character alive. That whole aspect of avoiding permanent death is one reason (even though we're playing the same content again) it provides an entirely different playing experience which cannot ever be replicated playing in softcore mode where dying has very little consequences. Sure, there is the potential issue of death by disconnection/lag due to the amount of time it takes the server to actually acknowledge the client is no longer communicating with it. I've yet to have that happen to me but I know that it's just a matter of time unless Blizzard changes that code and beefs up the whole logic.

One thing that I do like about Path of Exile is how they implemented a 10 second character protection (which stays in place until you actually perform some action which of course entails proper communication between the client and server) when transitioning to a new map instance. They of course use a load screen too as way to load textures and other data whereas Blizzard chooses to load everything on the fly to provide a more fast paced/seamless experience. Which is why in D3, there will still exist the issue of the initial texture and map load lag (that has also killed players) when first starting a game. This is why I switch down to a lower difficulty first (like nightmare), select quest, start game, play for a little to get the non-random content, map, and monster data buffered, before switching back to the original difficulty/quest to begin playing again.
So instead of addressing the DC problem, this is what you change?

Not that I have ever requested a roll back. But when you going to fix the DC problem? I have never played a game that if you exit the game it takes 10 seconds to leave or if you get disconnected or your PC/game crashes your left in game for 30-60 seconds afterwards. This is a pretty flawed system if you ask me and I know for a fact that it has pissed off many a HC player. You state when we make a HC player we are doing it at our own risk, but then you have a game breaking mechanic that all it takes is one thing to go wrong (power outage/loss of internet...) and you can lose everything. Pretty broken if you ask me. You would think this would be a lot higher on your list. Stop neglecting the HC community and show us that you care about that mode of play!

+1

Yeah. I wonder if Blizzard even realizes that over 25% of all post-60 dead HC characters are dead from disconnects, or more accurately, the game guaranteeing that they die if a disconnect occurs. It's pretty insulting to the HC community that they acknowledge and spend their time fixing "potential exploits" rather than the poorly designed, game breaking game-timeout mechanic. Maybe people wouldn't be trying to roll back their dead characters in the first place if the DC and game timeout mechanic wasn't so horribly flawed.

+1

I couldn't agree more: Fix the game please. I play hardcore for the thrill of facing a nasty pack, not to die during a disconnect. Until the disconnect issue is fixed, I don't see how you (Blizzard) can justify this decision to NEVER rollback an account.
still no patc h notes i think theyll flop again
Im sorry but you are not a hardcore player if you cant handle a DC death. They also dont happen as often as people like to claim. I have had ONE DC death since release. Its not a big issue, the servers are very stable. They can't prevent all DCs as the most common cause of a DC is on the USERS END not on Blizzards end.

Im glad they are changing the rollback system. Thank you Blizzard.