1.07 gives a new style for cm/SNS

Wizard
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VlXYhT!gWb!Yccccc

With monster power giving more exp we want to run a higher MP while doing the most damage. No teleport means you need to keep moving at a steady pace through packs.

How it works:
Set the monster power so that elites take less than 15 seconds (for me that's at MP7). Cast blizzard as you approach your targets and dps like a normal SNS. Keep blizzard up on any side groups or refresh if you need on elites. You should only need to cast it once per group however and this is key to get maximum efficiency. Blizzard works with APOC and LoH now so you'll notice this benefit. Anyone familiar with the "magic weapon electrify" style of play will really appreciate how fast this can melt groups. Using blizzard also ensures that cold snap is applied 100% of the time. You should not be struggling with survivability because your monster power setting should be moderate.

With no exp gear on mp7 I was getting similar exp to my 1.06 archon on mp2
I still think Metoer motlen impact and conflag to replace evocation is better but harder to do with low apoc...
The benefits of Blizz is that it deals damage over a longer period than Meteor I guess, you need to cast less so you can stunlock better, while still doing a decent amount of damage thanks to the buff. A neat idea.
Just use Meteor Shower.

Blizzard still is the poor mans Meteor Shower

Meteor Shower is like Blizzard, but it stacks, and it actually kill things.

Meteor obviously cannot be used it you don't have good to great APoC, and Meteor AP reduction gear and spamming Prism.
I wouldn't say it's a poor mans meteor. It's completely different. All of these skills take an attack turn which is why magic weapon electrify is so wonderful. If you use meteor shower you would lose an attack turn for a short lived spell and I would assume you'd have to keep on spamming it. Honestly I can just put on teleport and do the same dps. The point of blizzard is to cast before you start winding up SNS dmg and not have to stop to recast anything. Try meteor it works better with arcane dynamo/LL. it's not a good choice for SNS because of how often it stops streamlining dmg.
Seems interesting. When I farm, I go SNS with GC and BM, but this could definitely be fun to try anyway.
Oh, btw http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593580252#1
Old topic and my gear has changed a lot since, just sayin'

Remember that the testing was Meteor vs. Idle skill slot (Teleport) and Teleport still came out on top.
Yes LL meteor arcane dynamo build owns but is not as viable without near perma freeze like CM. I have to drop from mp7 to mp5 solo without dying. Or mp6-8 in groups since it take the pressure off just me. I will give the blizzard cm a try though sounds fun
I tested and I think it's quite cool. The thing is Blizzard duration is very long so you just have to cast it once or twice, and the damage buff is significant, it's nothing like Shower for sure as you don't have to spam the skill and Blizzard contributes to your AP regen and cooldown reset during the whole duration of 8 seconds, so it's different from Meteor. It's also different from MW in this aspect as it actually trigger CM.

I think for survivability Blizz is better than MW, it does lower DPS ( I GUESS SO) but because it synergies with CM better, I FEEL that the whole build end up better. Yeah subjective feeling ftw. Lower DPS but not much because 600% weapon damage over 8 sec is no joke.
Novice,

does Blizzard have any effect on movement speed? Someone in my SNS guide thought that the freeze-lock was alot better when casting Blizzard before the standard SNS 123.

I know you can use the Frozen Solid rune for a chance to freeze, but I'd probably use unrelenting storm...might only have to cast it once, or maybe twice over the whole course of a battle.
Yep tested both, the freeze rune wasn't that good because you freeze them with FN most of the time anyway, and 20% is mediocre. US is far better as I have more field control with it, like I can cast 3 Blizz in a wide area of mobs and benefit from the added proc rate.

I didn't notice the MS because normally mobs don't move vs SNS lol.
I'm wondering how much dps you lose by using Blizzard instead of MW-Electrify.
02/16/2013 10:13 AMPosted by Bashem

Alot.

%10 dmg to all skills is HUGE

not to mention that electrify is basically shocking aspect.
02/16/2013 10:13 AMPosted by Bashem

My guess is you lose a fair amount of dps. 1 WW cast probably does about as much damage as 1 blizzard cast when you factor in all the CM and SA procs. If you ignore CM procs my napkin math puts 1 WW cast at right around 500% weapon damage when you include SA procs and MW. That doesn't include electirify procs either. Compare that to the 510% weapon damage of the reduced AP blizzard and you're already at about the same. That also doesn't include the 10% to your CR, DS, and storm armor shocks, which make up some 40-60% of your effective dps.

Another issue to consider is the AP cost. If you cast the 680% version before a fight, that's 40 less AP you have to start windup with, which can cause some issues during windup if you don't overcompensate with a lot of extra AP, APoC, and/or crit. In general that means I'd probably have a hard time with my 2.5 APS, 48% crit, and 20 APoC compared to having no issues with MW.

The good news is it won't completely break the build, so I'm not trying to say the idea is completely terrible. Instead I'm saying it might not be as good as MW - electrify, but if you're looking to try something new it's as good a varient as any since it doesn't remove SA, WW, or CR for blizzard. Seriously, why does almost every post trying varients for SNS remove one of those?
I think MW/E wins 100%, however you should also consider that Blizzard has a decent proc rate, so it doesn't mean a flat 680% weapon damage, but it also means more EB and Shards, and FN reset faster, more AP return too. And you don't have to do anything for 8 seconds, it's basically free if you can keep mobs in place, which is the point of SNS anyway.

It's the same as WW, but last longer, wider range, and fewer ticks, more damage. Also 100% CB up time. A decent choice now imo.
the main problem is that if you don't need wormhole then you are farming too high of an MP level.

To be efficient you should be teleporting almost constantly or you might as well use lazybeam archon if you like walking.
I think MW/E wins 100%, however you should also consider that Blizzard has a decent proc rate, so it doesn't mean a flat 680% weapon damage, but it also means more EB and Shards, and FN reset faster, more AP return too. And you don't have to do anything for 8 seconds, it's basically free if you can keep mobs in place, which is the point of SNS anyway.

It's the same as WW, but last longer, wider range, and fewer ticks, more damage. Also 100% CB up time. A decent choice now imo.

I don't consider the proc rate on blizzard to be decent. It's 1/10th that of WW. At 4 tics per second that's only 32 tics if you use the 8s duration rune. That procs 0.4*APoC per cast and with a 50% crit rate you only get 1 CM and SA proc every 5 casts. I'd hardly call it free since it costs more AP than WW and returns hardly any AP from APoC.

I agree it's a choice for a slightly different play style though. I just won't be using it myself.
On a related note, does +dureation actually work correctly on Blizzard? As in, does it also increase the damage dealt over time proportionally? Not counting Unrelenting Storm, which clearly does.
the main problem is that if you don't need wormhole then you are farming too high of an MP level.

To be efficient you should be teleporting almost constantly or you might as well use lazybeam archon if you like walking.

I don't know, I find the boost to exp and Essence drop rates quite valuable in mp 7-10. I guess mp 3-5 to wormhole all over the place is more efficient still?

I don't consider the proc rate on blizzard to be decent. It's 1/10th that of WW. At 4 tics per second that's only 32 tics if you use the 8s duration rune. That procs 0.4*APoC per cast and with a 50% crit rate you only get 1 CM and SA proc every 5 casts. I'd hardly call it free since it costs more AP than WW and returns hardly any AP from APoC.

I agree it's a choice for a slightly different play style though. I just won't be using it myself.

Tbh it doesn't affect my AP at all, sometimes it's quite different in practice compared to pure maths. You should try it before scrap it, I also dumped plenty of stuff, but only after I tested them.
to be honest, i tried blizzard, i think the dmg is too slow. It is over time. I like meteor that is instant dmg and spammable! hehe i guess personal play style.