Demonic Essence Farming

Hardcore
This may seem better suited for the general forums but I play HC and I feel I may get the best answers from you guys.

So in the spirit of optimal Demonic Essence farming, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on where you farm and why. My thought process when trying to farm Demonic Essence is that ideally you want the most amount of elites in the shortest period of time.

The route that I run is as follows:

Prestaging the runs:
  • Load into Act 2 on The Black Soulstone quest (anything that allows desolate sands to be accessible)
  • Find the Vault of the Assassin to get the checkpoint. *Every new game you load will now have a portal directly to VoA.

The run itself:
  • Portal into VoA and circle clockwise around the map, making sure to check every node for an elite. I usually find 7-9 elites in here and the distance traveled is very short.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img687/5800/voah.jpg
  • After VoA is cleared, TP to town and take the WP to Black Canyon Mines. I like this place because there are usually 2-3 elites on average. Sometimes only 1 but I have seen up to 4. I do a quick circle around the map and end back at the WP.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img259/7961/blackcanyon.jpg
  • I take the WP from Black Canyons to Road to Alcarnus. This area only has 1-2 elites in it but the distance from the WP to the area of the elites is very short. I shoot straight south from the WP to check for a possible Goblin spawn (haven't seen one in awhile so I don't know if this still spawns) and then I head directly over the Bridge and kill the 1 to 2 elites there.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img266/7871/alcarnus.jpg

That's the entire run. I just reload a new game and repeat. It usually takes me about 6-8min per run. I usually skip white mobs and just go for fast elite kills. Loot isn't my priority here but if I see a massive pack of white mobs I will still kill them.

3 main reasons why I like this run:
  • I average about 12 Elites per run.
  • The distance traveled is very short.
  • The elites are all in very predictable places (less random searching)
  • Bonus reason: It's something other than Act 3 runs. lol

You can choose your own MP level, whatever you are able to do this the fastest on. For the best potential of ilvl 63 legendary items I would suggest at least mp1 if you can handle it.

So where do you farm for essence? I would like to come up with some nice routes for quick essence farming. Thanks guys!
    Here another for act1

Start in Leoric Manner: 1-4 Elites, If only one pack, cross the bridge to the hunting ground, the E-pack are going to be there.

Zone out and jump to festering wood: Between 3 and 6 stack with Event.

Zone out to the cimetary, go south, Howling Vale. You can meet between 2 and 8 E-pack there, depending if the cavern spawn or not.

Zone out: Cimetary again but this time go West. Clear the field for KW + the farms (one spawn a Rchest), look for the Ancient forest Rchest. Clear the mine for another easy Rchest.
    That sounds like a good run.

If you want to add the plan farming in for the meantime until you have all the plans Stonefort WP --> skycrown backtrack --> ghom is done in under 6 min. If you have all the plans, I'd say keep doing what you are doing :D

Although I suggest to just run VOA and exit every time. I bet your elite/sec is faster in VoA and more reliable than alcarnus and blackcanyon.

Edit:

Oh and since NV doesn't affect demonic drops get the checkpoint in act 1 warrior's rest (festering woods). For the longest time pre 1.03 I ran just the one mob in that crypt over and over. It's an elite every 30 sec (including game load time, etc). Back when butcher runs were the norm the warrior's rest runs strategy netted me more rares/leg.Bonus is there is almost always a shrine there and it's a tight area with the mob condensed. Good for AOE, etc.
    ACT 3 --> 3rd Quest, Kill Ghom --> skycrown (3-6 elite) --> Stonefort (3-6 elite + KW drop lots of items) --> Keen 3 waypoint for 1 elite then kill Ghom for plan.

usually 10+ elites with better loot (ACT3 > ACT2), and route is linear.
    Definitely some interesting routes from both of you guys. Thanks for the replies!

I started with just VoA and reloading and then added in Alcarnus and Black canyon because the run distance and time between the elites there is very similar to VoA. If you get a 3-4 spawn in Black Canyon they are all very close to each other allowing even faster elite killing than in VoA.

The checkpoint in festering woods sounds interesting. Since NV doesn't matter that could be a very nice way to farm as well.

Thanks for the ideas so far. :)
    ACT 3 --> 3rd Quest, Kill Ghom --> skycrown (3-6 elite) --> Stonefort (3-6 elite + KW drop lots of items) --> Keen 3 waypoint for 1 elite then kill Ghom for plan.

usually 10+ elites with better loot (ACT3 > ACT2), and route is linear.

I like this too. If I do act 2 I usually do MP1 for the same loot as act 3 but that run does sound nice as well and incorporates ghom for potential plan drops. I like it

Edit: So I actually like this run quite a bit. I just ran it to test on mp0 and the speed was nice. I really like how linear it was, I like that it covers the KW, and I like that it also brings in Ghom.

I also got pretty lucky and the KW dropped a key as well as Nat's reflection! :D
    Another trick for every act.

There is often an E-pack close to the WP. If you feel safe to jump in a fight right on zone in. Visiting each WP can be either very quick to 5 stack, or an easy way to do a last haul of rares before remaking.
    The kings crypt in festering wood..... just kill the elite / reset game..... pulling 30 demonics an hour on mp5
    So today, I decided to collect some data on 3 of my favorite runs out of this thread and get some info on each one. I did each run 10 times, all on MP0, using a stopwatch with lap timer. Everytime I killed an elite I hit the lap button immediately. Here's the 3 runs I used:

Run 1: Get Act 1 Warriors Rest checkpoint in festering woods and kill the elite in there over and over.

Average time between kills - 41 seconds

Run 2: I used the run I laid out in the original post.

Average time between kills - 39 Seconds
    Average run time - 7min 28 seconds
    Average number of elites killed per run - 11.4

Run 3: Act 3 -> Skycrown-> Stone fort -> Keeps lvl 3 (killed the 1 mob by ghoms door) -> Kill Ghom

Average time between Elite Kills - 61 Seconds
    Average run time - 8min 14 seconds
    Average number of elites killed per run - 7.6

There are a lot of variables, so certain classes/specs/gear will likely get different results. I do not have any run speed on my gear but I was using sprint. I had 65k sheet DPS during the runs so killing each elite took about 5-10 seconds in all acts. I skipped 95% of white mobs and would only kill them to generate rage for sprint or if there was a large pack blocking my path. For the most part I would sprint from elite to elite.

What I have concluded out of doing these runs:
    - When I want to farm Demonic Essence as fast as possible, I will likely stick with the run I used in my OP.
    - The act 3 run, while is signifantly slower demonic essence farming, brings a lot of other things to the table other than demonic essence farming. With this run you get a KW kill, Ghom kill, and the much better mob density. This run has a nice balance between Essence farming, potential loot, potential keys, and potential plan drops.
    - Act 1 reloading may be a few seconds faster if I had run speed, this would make act 1 reloading the fastest option. Though the constantly restarting was a little annoying for me.
    My current run: (have tons of essence, limiting factor sans buying off HCGAH is tomes of secrets, actually)

Act 3, Quest 7, middle one for tower of sin
    Crater 2
    Tower of Sin 1/2
    Cydaea (plan chance)
    Core
    Asmo (lootbag)
    *skippable* Stonefort for keywarden
    *skippable* Korsikk for XP
    Act 4
    Iskatu (not listed, but drops plans like other subbosses)
    TR my way to Rakanoth, usually 1-2 packs in way also
    Rakanoth (third plan chance per run)

good xp, good loot chances, and 3 plan dropping bosses per run

Also, its a nice change of pace entering act 4 for once.
    I was thinking of making my way out to Rakanoth after Iskatu. Any WD out there doing this? Perhaps I'll try it today. Hopefully !@#$ won't go down badly and I can down him before he does too much damage
    There is no set place to farm. Just play and farm regularly. They will just drop randomly.

No one will tell you if one place or another is better, and be right.

A
    There is no set place to farm. Just play and farm regularly. They will just drop randomly.

No one will tell you if one place or another is better, and be right.

A

When farming Demonic Essence, you want to kill as many elites as fast as possible - This is an indisputable fact.

This game isn't as random as you may think. Certain zones have higher numbers of elites that are shorter distances from each other, and they spawn regularly and consistently. Finding these zones and farming them is ideal. Which was the point of this thread.

Will you find Demonic Essence just doing your regular farming runs? Yes. But will you have a better chance at finding more by optimizing your route and tailoring it specifically around farming Demonic essence? Definitely.
    Vekz my XP/loot farming route (thanks to MrDeAtH) is actually yielding a LOT of essences. The route takes about 30 minutes and I kill 20+ packs. The first night of the patch I gathered 31 essences in about 3 hours of playing (I think I told you this in game but here it is again anyway). I think my MF is 280% or so.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7811541134#4
    02/15/2013 03:19 PMPosted by Zaknaril
    Vekz my XP/loot farming route (thanks to MrDeAtH) is actually yielding a LOT of essences. The route takes about 30 minutes and I kill 20+ packs. The first night of the patch I gathered 31 essences in about 3 hours of playing (I think I told you this in game but here it is again anyway).

Hey Zak! I do think I will go back to running routes like that soon just to get a nice balance of xp/loot/essence. Right now I'm getting about 20-25 essence an hour doing the act 2 run. Once I get a nice roll on gloves I don't think I'll focus so heavily on crafting for awhile and get back into the normal runs again.

PS- HC > SC :-P
    20-25 essence per hour is rocking it man! I haven't been super pleased with what I've crafted so far...wasted about 60 essences just to get 1 amulet that was only a nominal upgrade :(
    02/15/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Vekz

Meh, If I had more time to play, I'd be playing more HC. But I hate the 1-60 level grind and that's just about all I was doing when playing HC...once my barb is at p100 I will probably focus on my HC wiz :D
    02/15/2013 03:37 PMPosted by Zaknaril

Meh, If I had more time to play, I'd be playing more HC. But I hate the 1-60 level grind and that's just about all I was doing when playing HC...once my barb is at p100 I will probably focus on my HC wiz :D

Well I still have your vit Cains set in my stash waiting for your return :-)
    02/15/2013 03:36 PMPosted by Zaknaril
    20-25 essence per hour is rocking it man! I haven't been super pleased with what I've crafted so far...wasted about 60 essences just to get 1 amulet that was only a nominal upgrade :(

The route I run goes pretty fast from elite to elite and I end up getting about 90-100 elites per hour. Which should net me around 15 essence per hour at the current drop rate for mp0. But I think I have just been getting pretty lucky a few runs and get closer to 50% drop rate every couple runs.
    I think I'm a lot less excited about these crafted items now. I'll probably save up 50-60 essences before bothering to craft anything so I can craft a lot at once and see what I get. What's for sure though is that they're great for HC, and for alts to have some NICE gear when they hit 60, so they still have their place.

I never bother spending too much time researching the maxes a peice of gear can roll up with so I'm sure if I knew that info I'd be more inclined to keep trying (because I'm sure they can roll tri or even quadra-fecta) but for now I'll probably take a leisurely approach to them. I'm mainly XP farming anyway. Getting better gear for me at this point is just a bonus to help me farm XP faster.

Better gear = higher MP = more XP.