Diablo3 is not a failure.

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
02/17/2013 03:44 PMPosted by DudleyDR
12 million copies as of 12/31/2012 according to the financila reports. 10 million as of July 31, 2012 according to the financial reports.

What financial reports? Source? or is this being pulled out of thin air of imaginary reports.
Google it. There are a few articles out there.

But still, some guys are claiming its secretive financial reports. This is not coveted information that only a few can get. Google is your friend.

And Towelle comes in again with the voice of reason. Who cares from a gamers perspective on sales? Go play Call of Duty if that is your logic.
02/17/2013 03:52 PMPosted by KradisZ
[quote="79225905277"]12 million copies as of 12/31/2012 according to the financila reports. 10 million as of July 31, 2012 according to the financial reports.

You truly believe that just cause so many sold cause it was a good game? Do you know the difference game director and marketing?
The game didn't sell because it was awesome, it sold because of the legacy of D1 and D2 & the Blizzard stamp of course. The game still needs a lot of improvement, and the criticism we "trolls" gave and still are giving will make this game much better.
Some defend this game, some bash this game. No matter, I still play.

The Annual Pass copies weren't included in the 12 million figure as they weren't sales. Rather, they were "freebies" used to encourage Wow players to sign up for the AP.

Do you have any kind of source for that statement?

Nothing other than my years in corporate. Investors and other persons of interest become a tad upset when promotional copies are used to bolster sales.

Omg kiddos, sales represents nothing but FINANCIAL sucess, we are gamers...not a multimillionare tycoon, there are countless blockbusters movies that are piece of ¨%##. And of course D3 will sell well at first, due to the MAJOR sucess of D1&D2. And Actiblizz, is starting to bleed money, Wow subs are droping like hell, D3 is the biggest hoax around, only SC2 saves it...

Actually Wow's subscriptions increased a couple of million after their low when Mists was released.

And when D3 continues to sell even after the thrashing it took in reviews and what-have-you, I'd call that a success.

By the way, Jay Wilson wasn't fired. He's still with Blizzard. He's just moving on to another project. Senior devs do that from time to time. Tigole did the same when he moved from Wow to Titan.
02/17/2013 03:52 PMPosted by KradisZ
12 million copies as of 12/31/2012 according to the financila reports. 10 million as of July 31, 2012 according to the financial reports.

What financial reports? Source? or is this being pulled out of thin air of imaginary reports.

Activision has an Investor Relations website where they post quarterly and yearly reports and videos of the presentations / slide shows. Many of the fan sites also link to them.
Certainly seems a lot of the replies have been to the contrary of the original post's title.

I recently played on of the other recent ARPG games that has been a topic of discussion, and found myself intrigued by the complexity, but bored whenever it came to actually playing it. I started to play some of Diablo 3 again to try to see if I was just burnt out from gaming, but I found that in Diablo 3, combat was far, far more exciting. There may be a bit of unfairness there, since it was comparing the first 30 levels to the Inferno level play, but it led me to starting to deconstruct and analyze Diablo 3's systems even more.

I'd rather not textwall here as a reply, but I found that the mechanics in Diablo 3 make the basic combat more dynamic and interesting. Well, that is presuming you haven't created a build made specifically to skirt the depth.

But in short, I'd like to emphasize a point that CMs and Devs have made repeatedly: that certain elements create a meaningful conflict that requires the player to make a choice. Those choices are what makes the game fun to interact with, and far less monotonous. Well, that and satisfying skill effects among other things. But on the gameplay level, perhaps the most important level, Diablo 3 does some amazing things.
02/17/2013 03:55 PMPosted by Valeric
You truly believe that just cause so many sold cause it was a good game? Do you know the difference game director and marketing?

A popular game. A game that has continued to sell well despite the overwhelmingly bad word-of-mouth about it which started on Day 1. So there must be something there that people see even if you and others don't.

'Good' is entirely opinion, subjective and like faith. It works for some and not-at-all for others. To that extent it's useless for any sort of discussion.
02/17/2013 03:55 PMPosted by Valeric
[quote="79225905277"]12 million copies as of 12/31/2012 according to the financila reports. 10 million as of July 31, 2012 according to the financial reports.

Every license sold represents a player. By any measure, 12 million players buying your game over a 9 month period is success.
02/17/2013 04:03 PMPosted by Moanshadow
A popular game. A game that has continued to sell well despite the overwhelmingly bad word-of-mouth about it which started on Day 1. So there must be something there that people see even if you and others don't.

Diablo3 is a popular game due to Diablos before it, Final Fantasy is a popular cause of its games before it. I can easily just say Diablo keeps selling cause there being bought by those who keep getting banned. So in turn what makes you think that's a "good" thing.

Is Diablo 3 a Good game? YES. I did not wait 10yrs for a "good" game I wanted a great game.
People bought D3 ONLY because of D2.

70% regret it (check user reviews at biggest selling sites like Amazon.com). D3 IS a Failure to the majority of people but some of you ppl just can't face it.
Legendaries with the right amount of mf and in 4 person groups drop alot.

Magic Find does not affect the rate of Legendary/Set drops.

9 million copies sold long after so many people have bashed it to insane levels.

The majority of the sales were made prior to release and within the first MONTH. iirc 10 million copies were sold as of July, 2012. Its only sold 12m~ copies. I am not counting people who bought 2+ accounts to multibox/bot

Oh for Pete's sake. Get off your 'it's only a financial success' claptrap. License sales means users, users means success; or does that fact really go over your head?

Sadly this is incorrect. It means the ad campaign and hype leading up to release was a massive success. License sales does not equate to 'current users' which determines if the game was successful. Currently while the sales figures were great the game itself was not a success on launch as a Diablo sequel. This is not debatable.

This game isn't a failure, but it sure isn't a success yet regardless of how well it sold.
I guess there is no convincing some people.

I don't want to name names or point fingers, but with that logic, go play call of duty.

Diablo3 is a popular game due to Diablos before it, Final Fantasy is a popular cause of its games before it. I can easily just say Diablo keeps selling cause there being bought by those who keep getting banned. So in turn what makes you think that's a "good" thing.

Is Diablo 3 a Good game? YES. I did not wait 10yrs for a "good" game I wanted a great game.

I understand, actually. After the splendor that was Dragon Age: Origins, I was disappointed in the sequel. Dragon Age 2 isn't a bad game; I just feel it failed to live up to its predecessor.

However, that's my opinion. There are people who think DA2 is actually better than Origins. Just like I think Diablo 3 is better than Diablo 1 and 2.

So, at the end, all we can do is vote with our wallet--and, according to amazon.com, both D3 and DA2 are alive and doing very well. Therefore, that is the measure of their success.

Edit: Heh, guess whose three games are in the top five in amazon.com's RPG category? So much for Blizzard being on the skids.
I was the same when I started playing - I thought D3 players must just be bitter. The game was fun, balanced, and generally awesome before I started farming paragon levels. It's the economy, the gearing-up for monster power phase, that sucks.

You must be new here, and therefore not know about the things Jay Wilson said and did. You barely have to learn anything about him at all to consider him a condescending developer. To put it mildly, he came off as not caring about the fans.
[quote] This is not debatable.

This game isn't a failure, but it sure isn't a success yet regardless of how well it sold.

It is extremely debatable imho. I, and many of the people I play with have enjoyed the game from Beta until today. Some folks have left, some have since returned; I have also made a lot of new friends during play.

12 million players is a success; you feel a need to equate that with some 'evil coporation is destroying gaming' nonsense or something, but the numbers still do not lie.

For some reasom, I, like a lot of others can play and appreciate the game for what it was, is, and might become. This is what Blizzard does best; they continue the design iteration process after release. They even listen to fans about some changes, but that does not always work out so well.