Would you support a "Barter House"?

General Discussion
In place of the gold auction house. You couldn't have both as one would be left a ghost town as soon as people realize what the better option is to grab gear is.

I know it's been talked about before as an add-on to the current AH, but how about a separate barter house all together? The only catch is, no gold is exchanged in the barter house. Basically a safe way to trade items for items without fear of trade scams.

Basically you list "said" item with perhaps a little caption about what you need in return (which obviously is subjective).

The trade window in which you can offer, is the same size as on your character; so basically you can offer that much as part of the barter.

The way it works is the person who posted the item sees a list of people who've made offers; they hover over their name and tool tip pops up with what the players offering. To accept or deny, they click on the name, takes them to the screen where they can either accept, deny, or send a message back with additional things needed (if close to a deal).

Simple as that, all it does is take the middle man out (gold) to simplify things. Gold can then be used for crafting, repairs etc..
That seems like a pretty great idea, to me.
Before I would have defended the AH to the grave... however I have noticed some issues with having an AH that is completely automatic. Someone can throw an item on the AH and then not log in for a few days ... the ratio of items available compared to the number of players currently online has to be rather large.

I would be for a barter system... something that required a little bit of player cooperation. You could post your item on the AH and then potential buyers could send their offers to the seller. The seller could sort through them and accept one.

For me... this is the problem with the AH... nearly anything of value will always be on the AH... but the amount of buys logged on to the game is limited.

In Diablo 2 if you wanted to trade/buy/sell and item... you could only do this with players that were currently logged into the game. This meant the "pool" of items available to you was much smaller than the actual pool of items that players had, because some are not logged out.

I think this helped with the economy... things fluxuated a lot less frequently. In D3... the economy almost fluxuates every time there is a shift in amount of players logged in. (Weekdays vs Weekends).

It also seems like drop rates could be raised because there is no AH for everyone to just throw their items on. Sure there are plenty items on the AH... but most players have a hard time earning the money to buy the items because of the drop rates. As a whole, drop rate vs items available on the AH is balanced... but it hurts individual players.
No thanks. It sounds incredibly tedious. I also would have no interest in trying to find equitable exchange rates.

WTS Open socket, critical damage, 1107 DPS, .25 APS, 157 STR Echoing Fury.

Accepting : 1x Blah, 3x Bleh, 2x Blargh, 5x Blergh, 10x Blerblagh

Currencies are made to simplify the bartering system. Would you rather deal in quantities of hundreds of Radiant Stars? The smaller number is more tangible.
No thanks. It sounds incredibly tedious. I also would have no interest in trying to find equitable exchange rates.

WTS Open socket, critical damage, 1107 DPS, .25 APS, 157 STR Echoing Fury.

Accepting : 1x Blah, 3x Bleh, 2x Blargh, 5x Blergh, 10x Blerblagh

Currencies are made to simplify the bartering system. Would you rather deal in quantities of hundreds of Radiant Stars? The smaller number is more tangible.

Good point! I suppose, if some players were that problematic about their requirements, their stuff would never move until they adjusted their requirements!
OP: your idea would have had merit 10,000 years ago when they were painting in caves.

Unfortunately 9000 years ago someone suggested using a single chunk of rare metal as a standard against which all other goods could be measured. This was a 10000000% improvement in market economies and pretty much resulted in the rest of civilization.
Good point! I suppose, if some players were that problematic about their requirements, their stuff would never move until they adjusted their requirements!
I do really think a huge issue is the perception. Seeing 2,000,000,000g for one item, when you're sitting on 1,018,291 and making 500k/hour, is disheartening.

Maybe filter results? Lower the numbers? Does it mean much if items are 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 when I'm making 200B/hour? Not really.
It would be actual trading. Something I for one would participate in gladly.

Love the idea.
As a programmer with over 10 year experience, I would like to point out that such an AH would be very hard to code, have extremely cumbersome UI and would be unbearably slow in terms of indexing and searching for trades.

At the volume to be moved via AH daily, I would say that such a system would be unusable due to the complexity and volume of comparisons that has to be done.

In conclusion, I would file this under the "nice but require quantum computer" folder.
As a programmer with over 10 year experience, I would like to point out that such an AH would be very hard to code, have extremely cumbersome UI and would be unbearably slow in terms of indexing and searching for trades.

At the volume to be moved via AH daily, I would say that such a system would be unusable due to the complexity and volume of comparisons that has to be done.

Spoken like a true AH vendor.

Maybe you couldn't accomplish it, but i'm certain with the resources Blizzard has available, they could. How much more difficult could it be to the current sham they have?
they should actually call it barter town with the thunder dome as arena in the midle.

Spoken like a true AH vendor.

Maybe you couldn't accomplish it, but i'm certain with the resources Blizzard has available, they could. How much more difficult could it be to the current sham they have?

On what basis can you be certain?

When Blizzard can't even get the current AH to work smoothly half the time?

Also, having the resources does not mean it is justified or worth building.

I would really like to be in the same room when the new game director tries to justify why they are going to spent X millions to build something that will earn the company zero dollars.
Id like it if something similar was applied to the AH. Where someone could offer 7mil on an item you are selling for 10mil. U could accept or refuse the offer. Would save relisting items that havent sold.
This concept would have to be limited to one-to-one bartering (ie, I'll trade you this Scorn for your Manti).

Otherwise, people would just develop a common currency on their own, similar to SoJ's from D2.
Nope.

You realize how annoying and time consuming selling over trade chat can be with only 70 people.
You want to expand this experience to every troll on the entire server now?
This idea would have good sides and bad sides both. If properly implemented, I might participate in this. I would prefer it to the Real Money Auction House for sure. I was going to buy some farming gear and then farm items and sell them until I realized how damaging the RMAH was to Diablo 3 as a game and also I don't think I could compete with the foreign farmers and bots anyway. This barter system would be a welcome compromise between the current Auction House and the old horrible system in Diablo 2.
I say no, because then there would be a different sort of scam. It would be called taking advantage of new players or ones that do not have a slightest clue as to how valuable a piece of gear really is. I will use an example.

You have a Mempo of Twilight that you need to sell. I offer you three weapons without sockets and CD as payment. Of course you would not take the trade, but someone would. Then they would come here and QQ about losing out on trade. So then basically players would not want to use such a house. I say that the gold and the RMAH are far superior to any bartering house.
Yes or no it's too late for this game.

RMAH and AH will stay as getting rid of either (if that is proposed) will present problems.

As for problems their would be a lot more that would come into effect if bartering were to come into play.

The kind of game I want would only be centered on entertainment and not incentives to exploit the system. The RMAH adds the incentive for people to bot or multi box in hopes of getting better items to sell for real money. The AH adds the incentive for people to accumulate money through playing with the AH and not the real game.

Like I said it's too late and we're stuck with what we have when it comes to Diablo 3. Perhaps in the expansion their will be some better market system, but I wouldn't bet on that.
Gold is a currency used to measure the value of items. The gold AH already allows you to trade items, via currency. Selling Item A to raise the funds to purchase item B, is in effect trading item A for item B.

It's how economies work in the real world too. Would you rather have to trade pineapples for beef, or 50 chickens for a motorcycle in real life? If not, why would you prefer that in D3? As another poster pointed out rightly:

OP: your idea would have had merit 10,000 years ago when they were painting in caves.

Unfortunately 9000 years ago someone suggested using a single chunk of rare metal as a standard against which all other goods could be measured. This was a 10000000% improvement in market economies and pretty much resulted in the rest of civilization.