I did the math and...

General Discussion
I have just over 38,500 elite kills. Since I usually run with as much MF as possible, I figure I've looted close to 200,000 rares in the last 9 months. Heck it might be more. I haven't bought gold, or spent hours flipping, but instead built a pretty decent Barb from the ground up on the proceeds from those 200k loot drops.

Now, in three days, I've crafted 2 items (glove and shoulders) that are far and away better than any drop I have ever looted from those 38K elite kills. Please tell me why I should ever bother picking up a glove, shoulder, bracer, chest, or amulet again. Why would anyone?

And for all you geniuses that want to extend crafting to the rest of the slots ... be sure to tell Blizzard to remove all drops from the game too. No longer necessary ... just drop the crafting agents and be done with it.
I pick up only lvl 61+ weapons and lvl 63 armor, rings and amulets. Nothing else, waste of time.
Pick up rings, onehanded weapons(62+), then legendaries(althou 99% of these are brimstones).
Oh yeah, demonic essences as well....

Pretty much sums up this game now :/
One could say the way they buffed legendarys invalidated rares too. If you have a Skorn why would you ever pick up a rare 2hr? If you have Vile Ward why would you pick up rare shoulders?
Someone has to pick up junk rares and salvage them to fill the ah with tears and blue essence. If everyone quit doing that, then the price of those would skyrocket and you would have to start picking them up again.

:)

Also, you didnt do any math at all. You just guessed. Just saying. Math isnt guesswork, its precise calculations.
Yeah...agree with u bro... damm.. that crafting with demonic essence cannot be sell... i craft 4 awesome amulate.. dmg plus 10k..

If dont want to salvage those rare , just pick ring and amulet... they do drop a nice one.. :)
Everything that dropped in Diablo 2 was worth while.

A level 99 Blizzorb sorc could find a lot of uses for the 100 Sigon Sets she found while farming Mephisto.

You guys are basically complaining about the ARPG genre itself. At some point, your gear becomes so good, 99% of what drop is garbage. It just happens.
Agreed.And I wonder if anyone still buys amulet, gloves or shoulder in ah before trying to craft.

You guys are basically complaining about the ARPG genre itself. At some point, your gear becomes so good, 99% of what drop is garbage. It just happens.

And i dont see why the quest for perfection of your items should take longer than 100 paragon levels to achieve (pre-xp buff), its why they brought out this crafting :)
How about they make drops on par with crafted items?
02/17/2013 06:36 PMPosted by Cyndane
How about they make drops on par with crafted items?

And then people will complain: Why waste gold/materials to gamble for something you can pick off the ground? Crafting sucks, buff crafting!

It's a chicken and egg story. Don't go there.

Like what one poster says, if crafting is truly great, the materials price will go up to the point where crafting costs are on par with buying from AH. The reason it is not at this point of time is because we have built a massive surplus of crafting materials and the bottleneck is the rate of DE farming.

Eventually once we burned all the materials and brimstones, their prices will rise. Look at tomes prices.

And i dont see why the quest for perfection of your items should take longer than 100 paragon levels to achieve (pre-xp buff), its why they brought out this crafting :)

Because if they made it that short then even the fanboys would have stopped playing the game months ago and their RMAH revenue would have disappeared. Blizzard simply didn't understand how to build replayability into an ARPG and resort to using the only experience their familiar with: MMO-style numbers progression.

And then people will complain: Why waste gold/materials to gamble for something you can pick off the ground? Crafting sucks, buff crafting!

It's a chicken and egg story. Don't go there.

Maybe then they should have opened their eyes to what their predecessor did a decade ago and distinguish the items that you can get from crafting vs. gambling vs. drops. The obvious solution was right in front of them with their own IP. Apparently they were too busy reinventing the wheel to bother learning a thing or two by playing the past games in the series.
Blizzard simply didn't understand how to build replayability into an ARPG and resort to using the only experience their familiar with: MMO-style numbers progression.
Meh I only pick up ilvl63 1-hand weapons, jewelry, and follower items. The time spent ID'ing and price checking on the AH for marginal items is wasted farming time.

I don't think there will be too big of a bottleneck on crafting. It would be a different story if the crafted gear was tradeable...brimstones would be up around 200k hah. People will get tired of crafting just like they got tired of trying for Hellfire Rings and it should coincide with casual players getting tired and stopping the flow of mats.
I have just over 38,500 elite kills. Since I usually run with as much MF as possible, I figure I've looted close to 200,000 rares in the last 9 months. Heck it might be more. I haven't bought gold, or spent hours flipping, but instead built a pretty decent Barb from the ground up on the proceeds from those 200k loot drops.

Now, in three days, I've crafted 2 items (glove and shoulders) that are far and away better than any drop I have ever looted from those 38K elite kills. Please tell me why I should ever bother picking up a glove, shoulder, bracer, chest, or amulet again. Why would anyone?

And for all you geniuses that want to extend crafting to the rest of the slots ... be sure to tell Blizzard to remove all drops from the game too. No longer necessary ... just drop the crafting agents and be done with it.

You got really lucky and hit good on two crafted items. That is the lucky breaks for you. With that many elite kills does not mean you will find gear that is so good. That it would be impossible to find or craft an upgrade. Blizz made these pieces to handle the problem players are having. The problem is that many feel like they have to use the AH just to get their gear. That is what this part of the patch was suppose to address.

So do not worry about picking up rares. I am sure that you would still be able to sell them for a good amount and in time build up your gold to be able to either craft replacements or even by the true BiS gear for your character.