Has anyone actually played diablo 2 recently?

Games & Technology
Prev 1 2 3 4 12 Next
I have. Well, not really played, just loaded the game, opened a character and browsed the inventory, walked around a bit. It was a sorceress in hell, actually took her for a walk outside, realised my skill configuration wasn't good and exited the game.
But the urge is there - and I know that once I take all five characters up to lvl 60, I'll switch back. I've been thinking about that for a long time. I only wish that once I do, I could forget all about Diablo 3 art work and storyline.
Hah, I've just realized the fun I had with Diablo II - because there was so little with regards to the storyline and the background of the characters, I could make them up myself. It was fun.
I would agree the combat system/graphics are way better. however the thing i miss most in D2 is actually the MF farming. I loved taking a sorceress to NM Mephisto with Ptopaz in all my gear, and being able to do a run in like 2 min...then once you found really decent gear you could do a run in under a minute, the excitement for good tradable drops was really addicting to me.

In d3, i just get bored of my build and haven't found anything cool in weeks, not to mention running the whole act in 15-25 minutes is just not as gratifying. I understand Meph runs got old, but the quick strike and watching 2-3 uniques drop was so much fun.

TLDR: Change Legs to drastically alter skills so we can really have unique characters and builds.
D2 was fun for a long time, and even better with the expansion. But that was then. This thread would be like trying to compare Fallout 2 to Fallout 3. Dramatic differences no matter how you look at it, and mainly because of the gap of years between them.
It's fine to like both. Period. xD

Well said.
Obviously, this will get lots of negative responses, but just try to listen for a minute. I played Diablo 2, and it was awesome, lots of fun, I had great times with it. And initially, I was a little disappointing with Diablo 3 because it didn't quite live up to my expectations, since I had such good memories playing Diablo 2. But I went back, and actually played Diablo 2 just recently, and it's really not a better game overall, the only reason people are so angry, is because they're comparing the MEMORIES of diablo 2 to diablo 3 as it is right now, rather than actually comparing the games themselves.

If you doubt what I'm saying, just go back and try the second game, it's the memories of playing it that make it seem better, while it's really not.

LOL! yes I played it last week and it's so much more fun than this failure of a game.
I would agree the combat system/graphics are way better. however the thing i miss most in D2 is actually the MF farming. I loved taking a sorceress to NM Mephisto with Ptopaz in all my gear, and being able to do a run in like 2 min...then once you found really decent gear you could do a run in under a minute, the excitement for good tradable drops was really addicting to me.

In d3, i just get bored of my build and haven't found anything cool in weeks, not to mention running the whole act in 15-25 minutes is just not as gratifying. I understand Meph runs got old, but the quick strike and watching 2-3 uniques drop was so much fun.

TLDR: Change Legs to drastically alter skills so we can really have unique characters and builds.

If you do a run then yeh, I guess it was boring. I always take time to clean everything on my way down and that IS fun. I also got used to doing Mephisto, Diablo and Baal in a single game. Now that was interesting for me :)

And I guess the big problem with D3 is the much discussed focus on items instead of skills. Because then, you only get frustration. Imagine this situation in DII: you build a character, choose the skills you want and play. You're excited when a great item drops but you don't feel hindered and frustrated when it doesn't. You can play the game well enough with average gear because it's the skills that are important. Sure, people say that there were many melee skills based on weapon damage....But a great many skills could do over 500 % damage per hit....
And in D3: you need good items, without them, you're crappy. And when they don't drop (which they don't, for me), you feel frustrated.
I do repeated runs in D3 because I need items. I did them in D2 because they were fun and I wanted to do them.
I have an 86 assassin on USEAST. The game is great and there's more people on hardcore than ever before due to Diablo 3's release.
d2 pros

item system > (should have never gotten rid of mod system of d2... there's a reason its cloned over and over and over and over. it's YOUR SYSTEM WHY NOT USE IT)

runewords > all d3

charms > d3 (there's more depth in d2 charms than in whole d3 game

build diversity / synergies > d3

pvp INCLUDING PK > d3

social chat rooms / 8 player games > d3

ladders (promotes competition and economy resets ... desperately needed in arpgs)

d3 pros

graphics (arguably)
auction houses (both)

yea, its not lopsided.
I bought it again after Diablo 3 disappointed me a few months back to see if I really was remembering incorrectly. Leveled a sorceress up to 78 or so, found a Shako. Took about 6 hours (someone rushed me through nightmare, yay!)

I had fun running meph solo for an hour, but there was no longer a community. Just a bunch of baal bots and follow bots.
Obviously, this will get lots of negative responses, but just try to listen for a minute. I played Diablo 2, and it was awesome, lots of fun, I had great times with it. And initially, I was a little disappointing with Diablo 3 because it didn't quite live up to my expectations, since I had such good memories playing Diablo 2. But I went back, and actually played Diablo 2 just recently, and it's really not a better game overall, the only reason people are so angry, is because they're comparing the MEMORIES of diablo 2 to diablo 3 as it is right now, rather than actually comparing the games themselves.

If you doubt what I'm saying, just go back and try the second game, it's the memories of playing it that make it seem better, while it's really not.
I disagree. I play both games. Played my offline character the other night for a couple hours. Finally reached level 86 on my HC summon necro. One of these days I am going to get him killed but I like to see how far I can get him untwinked without a hero editor.

What I enjoy about D2 isn't in D3. The character customization, the cool affixes on certain items. How one item you find can make you want to roll a new character.

The only thing that D3 has on D2 in my opinion is better graphics and smoother combat. It's not a bad game but it lacks a lot of RPG elements. Graphics and smoothness of combat do not mean much if the game is fun to play and experiment with. D2 is fun but no doubt it's graphics are dated. It's still one of the best games ever created. D3 doesn't live up to the name but I already paid my $60 for it and this is the best game to waste time mindlessly smashing monsters on. Also it is getting better. I like the new crafting and hope they implement some more character customization in the future.
D2 was awesome for it's time but that time has come and gone.
Your opinion is lopsided Chop.

I agree with the OP.

From a nostalgia point of view D2 was great.

Emphasis on was....

Things change and evolve, like games, cars, and electronics etc.

If you want to drive an old car because you like the look, cool, but don't argue how the systems are better; like braking, handling etc.

Saying D2 had a lot of depth is like saying Donkey Kong did, compared to the new Mario's.

D2 looks and plays like a bad version of Pong.

The old memories of people playing in their youth and not wanting any change is akin to someone holding on to their blanket.

Not all of the people that played D2 cared about chat channels or even charms, or pvp.

What D3 brings to the table is an unprecedented action game with near perfect combat.

People bash it for lots of things like itemization and the Auction Houses. but both are negated if you play on Hardcore.

The fact that most people don't even try HC is mind boggling, since it plays totally different and the rewards and failures are so much greater.

It's like all the people saying how TL2 or POE are better...the game mechanics in those 2 games are not very good.

Itemization might be better is some respects but combat is awful compared to D3.

The Diablo Games are all about slaying demons, and D3 does it better than it's predecessor.
It's not even possible to compare the two. It's like trying to compare cars from 15 years ago to the ones today. No kidding, the new ones are better than the old ones? That tape deck can't hold a candle to the in dash mp3 player with satellite, but that tape deck was the shiznit 15 years ago!
I boot it up and play it now and then. It's old and it's dated but it has a lot of good memories in it and can still be fun in small doses.

I don't think of it as being better or worse; just different. Great for its time but that time is long gone and people clinging to it desperately need to accept that. If you still like it that's fine. People still like playing text adventures too.

GO SOUTH
diablo II had its share of patches and issues, i think diablo 3 has moved faster with patches than diablo II.

also

how many people remember playing original diablo. i think from one game to the next in this series there have been a lot of changes
Let me ask you this, which game is better? Broodwar or Starcraft 2? Despite SC2 looking "better", reacting better etc etc, Broodwar is still better, does that make SC2 a failure? No it doesn't, I actually played a TON of SC2 and will be getting HOTS. Is it disappointing? Certainly. Graphics,fluidity, control etc aren't necessarily the determinant if a game is great.

Another great example, Madden 2006 for PS2 is the best Madden ever made. I still played Madden 13 for a while, but it still isn't as good as Madden 2006 for PS2.
I play Diablo 2 all the time. I think it is the best game ever made. I think it is far better than Diablo 3, like absurdly better than Diablo 3. However, I do like Diablo 3 and will not stop playing it anytime soon. I will just play Diablo 2 with it, depends on what I feel like doing. I only wish I could run Diablo 1 on this computer I have been trying to figure that problem out for a while, about to just buy a crap machine for that.

I still play it, almost have a Full Cow King set =D
02/24/2013 02:37 PMPosted by TaKtiCz
I play D2 all the time. You aren't a fan of Diablo. You are a fan of Blizz, pretty colors, and explosions.

I would have to agree. It depends on what kind of mood I'm in but when I play Diablo 2 I just feel like the game was overall designed way better, it has a ton of replay value, the levels being random..there being so many different items you can pickup and such..sometimes that game just feels like there is almost too much you can do and learning it becomes overwhelming. D3 is a very different game and while I know D2 doesn't have the best graphics at all anymore compared to how it used to be when it first came out (god when it first came out I played it for awhile and got bored in Act 3 and then quit and I was a young person then), to now the graphics have not aged well, but since it first came out and all the patches and changes they've made it has truly became one of the best overall ARPG's out there. It's just there's no new content being developed for it so there's only so much you can do before you just can't do anymore.

Also in regards to what Mak said comparing Fallout 2 and Fallout 3...I would always consider Fallout 2 the better game, it is just a perfect RPG (ROLE PLAYING GAME) while Fallout 3 just feels like a version of Oblivion that has guns. It still has role playing elements but it doesn't feel like you can do anything to complete any quest like Fallout 2 did.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9989/infographiclarge.png

I found this link someone posted and this is the main reason why D2 I felt always trumped D3 in terms of just it's items alone. The guy saying that D3 has near perfect combat and D2's time has come and gone, I feel like those kinds of people just base D3 on graphics alone or haven't been playing that much like the OP. D3 is really fun at first but once you beat the game through several times and remember where to go and realize theres no randomization to the outside environments, and everything thats randomized inside dungeons looks bland and the same. As in it might as well not have been randomized because I can never tell a difference. I'm not saying I don't like D3 because I still play it and get enjoyment out of it, but in comparison to D2.. I don't know I had my moments thinking D2 was just nostalgia and that's why I stilled like it but my nostalgia has come and gone over the years. Now I can look at D2 objectively and say without question it is the overall better designed game. If they updated D2 with D3's graphics and if the team that developed D3 had done what they should have done as opposed to what they THINK They should have done (why they still think they have created a masterpiece just baffles me, but I used to hear a lot that parts of their team were all using !@#$ towards the end in order to stay awake during crunch time just to get the game done >_> so if they're that crazy..).. but yeah that's my stance. Most people who say D2's time has come and gone are usually just in love with D3 and didn't really play through D2 as much as they should have or could have.