High EDPS build for Calamity users

Demon Hunter
This build is takes advantage of the group dynamics that often come into play when playing ubers or farming high MP's. Most people usually have a CM wizard in the team that they do ubers with and this build synergizes really well with that build. This build works really well with a Calamity and I haven't really done much testing with the Manticore. It massively boosts the effective dps that we can output.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bWQdgl!cXe!ZcabYY

That's the build and I will describe the advantage of each skill.

Entangling shot: Shock Collar: This is the skill that replaces preparation in your build because it has an unbelievably high proc rate (160%). this ensures two things, that you can still perma gloom because pretty much every crit returns discipline when using Nightstalker. It also ensures that your target is almost always marked and thus your damage is always boosted by 15% against the target. The M4D chance matters very little especially when considering the high attack speeds the average calamity user has.

Bola Shot: Imminent Doom: This is your primary damage dealer, as it does not have a any resource cost it is infinitely spammable. It also synergizes really well with Cull of the Weak and I will go into that further when I detail the playstyle.

Spike Trap: Echoing Blast: As this no longer becomes the primary source of dps and all it serves is to augment your effective dps, resource costs no longer become an issue.

Vault: For mobility.

Shadow Power: Gloom: Primary defensive and healing skill.

Rain of Vengeance: Anathema: In almost any other scenario this skill would be useless i.e when playing solo, but if you farm with a good CM wiz in your party this opens a great way of raising your eDPS. The way the shadow beast works is that while it does only hover in one spot it attempts to direct the bombs towards where you are, so try to stay close to your target. you still want to pull it up as close as possible to the target.

Passives
Cull of the Weak: This serves as a massive dps boost (15%) and has nice synergy with Bola Shot and Entangling Shot. As long as your target is slowed your damage is boosted.

Night Stalker: This now serves are your primary form of discipline regen. With the amazing proc rate of Shock Collar, every crit with that skill pretty much returns discipline.

Archery: 10% crit boost that helps with Nightstalker procs.

Playstyle:

Use Rain of Vengeance, then launch of volley of Bola's depending on your attacks per second this affects how many bolas you can use before you need to use Entangling shot. For me at 2,6 aps it's 4 Bola's then I launch of volley of 4 entangling shots. What this does is given the 2 second delay of Bola Shot, your first Entangling shot lands just before the Bola explodes and this triggers Cull of the Weak. With my pretty average calamity I see crits between 400-550k with from a single Bola explosion. You then lay down the Spike traps and continue the rhythm of interchanging between Bola and Entangling Shot volleys.

What this does is it maximizes the your single target damage and you don't have any resource issues because your main damage dealer is a hatred generator not a spender and all Spike Trap and RoV do is augment your dps. Just remember to launch Rain of vengeance whenever it's off cooldown and keep the cycle of Bola Shot and Entangling Shot going so that the explosions always trigger when Cull of the Weak is active.

I find it works best in groups where a CM wiz is present, if you're farming without one, you probably want to use a different Rain of Vengeance rune like Dark Cloud. You also need to be well geared enough to not have to depend on Perfectionist. What do you think?

Note: After some testing, it appears Frost Nova is considered slow, so if the CM Wiz you are running with has this in their skill slot, you don't need Entangling Shot(I still like it for the high proc rate) as Frost Nova can trigger Cull of the Weak.
Well, would you look at that. An actually authoritative Demon Hunter making a build for Party use... Just don't use the words "Party Time", they're trademarked. ;-)

I must sound like a broken record about this skill at this point, but Cluster Grenades would be a phenomenal skill to replace Shock Collar, particularly because it spreads across both targets (assuming they are within the huge zone of cluster spray), and the proc rate is enormous because of the huge hit boxes, the clusters hit them 10x + each, creating obscene regeneration of discipline. Great build though, I will absolutely be looking into using this for my next CM Wiz involved Uber encounter. :-)
Well, would you look at that. An actually authoritative Demon Hunter making a build for Party use... Just don't use the words "Party Time", they're trademarked. ;-)

I must sound like a broken record about this skill at this point, but Cluster Grenades would be a phenomenal skill to replace Shock Collar, particularly because it spreads across both targets (assuming they are within the huge zone of cluster spray), and the proc rate is enormous because of the huge hit boxes, the clusters hit them 10x + each, creating obscene regeneration of discipline. Great build though, I will absolutely be looking into using this for my next CM Wiz involved Uber encounter. :-)

Well Cluster Grenades won't trigger Cull of the Weak :( I also feel Entangling shot lets you attack from range better. Trust me you'll be amazed how good Shock Collar is at replenishing discipline. I didn't even know how good it was until someone I met on the gen forums told me about it.
archery will become superfluous with gear and you can turn on steady aim for an effective 20%
but let me look at this hypothetical sample

i need to look into this perhaps a bit more but from a quick glance the numbers with Cull+ES +ID are not enough alone to make me give up trying to maximize echo

confused how a rotation of
(n* ID + 1 ES) * 1.15 cull > (n * ID + 1 echo)
Burning how are you able to confirm your output?

concurrency: sample = 2 seconds for maximized cull time
assume 3.00 aps = 6 shots fired
5 shots of ID + 1 ES:shock
assume two targets (ubers) max ES benefit

ES performs (180%+140%) = 320%
5 shots ID = 216% * 5 = 1080%
AoE ID = 149% * 5 = 745%
214%*1.15 cull = 2466.75% over 2 seconds
= 1233%/sec total
= 616.68% per target/sec

concurrency: sample = 3.2 seconds for Echo as average
assume 3.00 aps * 3.2 = avg 9.6 shots

8 Shots of ID + 1.6 Echo blasts (instead of assuming 3 echos/3.2 we are being hatred practical at 1.6/3.2 for 15/sec)

8 shots ID = 216% * 8 = 1728%
AoE ID = 149% * 8 = 1192%
1.6 echos * 275% * 3blasts * 2 targets = 2640%
= 5560% over 3.2 seconds
= 1737.5%/sec total
= 868.75% per target/sec

up time 1.6 echos per 3.2 seconds ~ 15 hatred/sec
3 aps is enough for 21 + 12.8 base = 10.56/sec

But I also think M4D is more important to team builds, someone has to have it and the calamity alone stacks; M4D:mortal enemy yields me so much hatred that I have to slow down on laying echos sometimes or i'll overwrite them.. certainly approaching the 3/3.2 from 1.6/3.2 is a huge eDPS boost

as for Elites in groups of 3-4 the AoE splash range of ID might be better than Echos

Well Cluster Grenades won't trigger Cull of the Weak :( I also feel Entangling shot lets you attack from range better. Trust me you'll be amazed how good Shock Collar is at replenishing discipline. I didn't even know how good it was until someone I met on the gen forums told me about it.

The slow from Entangling is not necessary to trigger Cull of the Weak if you've got a CM wiz in your group, is it? I definitely agree that Entangling lets you attack from range better though. No arguments there. I must try the shock collar out and see how I feel about it. ;-)
02/24/2013 05:55 PMPosted by BurningJC007
On higher MPs, if you are worried about Cull the Weak you could always throw in Chain of Torment with a cold SOJ. It is not too hard to ensnare a large crowd of enemies for Cull the Weak. On lower difficulties, I would imagine Steady Aim is better than Cull the Weak since you should ideally be one shotting things.

The slow from Entangling is not necessary to trigger Cull of the Weak if you've got a CM wiz in your group, is it? I definitely agree that Entangling lets you attack from range better though. No arguments there. I must try the shock collar out and see how I feel about it. ;-)

Well Wicked Wind is not considered a slow and I'm not sure about Frost Nova, is a freeze the same as a slow? Not completely sure about that.
@BurningJC007: My understanding is that Freeze, Slow, and Chill are apart of the same family but just cascading of ill effects. Slow only affects a target's ability to move, while Chill slows movement and attack, and Freeze stops them entirely. Having run with a CM/WW for a long time, I can attest that I get Cull the Weak's benefit from them freezing anything. I favor a Cold SOJ for this reason since at higher MPs, I find it more easy to maintain the benefit from Cull the Weak with a Cold SOJ over say Steady Aim.

Well Wicked Wind is not considered a slow and I'm not sure about Frost Nova, is a freeze the same as a slow? Not completely sure about that.

I haven't got the proof, but other players in other threads have stated that a synergy does exist between Cull of the Weak and a CM Wizard's Frost Nova.
archery will become superfluous with gear and you can turn on steady aim for an effective 20%
but let me look at this hypothetical sample

i need to look into this perhaps a bit more but from a quick glance the numbers with Cull+ES +ID are not enough alone to make me give up trying to maximize echo

confused how a rotation of
(n* ID + 1 ES) * 1.15 cull > (n * ID + 1 echo)
Burning how are you able to confirm your output?

concurrency: sample = 2 seconds for maximized cull time
assume 3.00 aps = 6 shots fired
5 shots of ID + 1 ES:shock
assume two targets (ubers) max ES benefit

ES performs (180%+140%) = 320%
5 shots ID = 216% * 5 = 1080%
AoE ID = 149% * 5 = 745%
214%*1.15 cull = 2466.75% over 2 seconds
= 1233%/sec total
= 616.68% per target/sec

concurrency: sample = 3.2 seconds for Echo as average
assume 3.00 aps * 3.2 = avg 9.6 shots

8 Shots of ID + 1.6 Echo blasts (instead of assuming 3 echos/3.2 we are being hatred practical at 1.6/3.2 for 15/sec)

8 shots ID = 216% * 8 = 1728%
AoE ID = 149% * 8 = 1192%
1.6 echos * 275% * 3blasts * 2 targets = 2640%
= 5560% over 3.2 seconds
= 1737.5%/sec total
= 868.75% per target/sec

up time 1.6 echos per 3.2 seconds ~ 15 hatred/sec
3 aps is enough for 21 + 12.8 base = 10.56/sec

But I also think M4D is more important to team builds, someone has to have it and the calamity alone stacks; M4D:mortal enemy yields me so much hatred that I have to slow down on laying echos sometimes or i'll overwrite them.. certainly approaching the 3/3.2 from 1.6/3.2 is a huge eDPS boost

as for Elites in groups of 3-4 the AoE splash range of ID might be better than Echos

Maybe I'll have to revisit which is more efficient as a damage dealer Bola or Echo, the general idea I was trying to put across is maximizing Bola damage by ensuring CoTW is triggered while the Bola is exploding same goes for Spike Traps ensuring that we get the most out of Spike Trap damaged ensuring CotW is triggered. I suggested this build because it seemed to work really well, the couple of runs I've done with it.
care to test in game? Find me.
The tests I suggest are have a cm friend benchmark their dps vs. Sb (5)

SB health/kill time = edps

Then do it the two of you, check it again, subtract theirs. = bingo

Try to limit lift tiPe; I am working on breaking 600% effective on mp8, with nearly 100 echo uptime, obviously since I cant perma stun he lifts me a few times. But I find Sb to the closest to a Patchwork. Fight that also tests survival (better than ghom imo, but he works too)
02/24/2013 07:02 PMPosted by tekkazerox
@BurningJC007: My understanding is that Freeze, Slow, and Chill are apart of the same family but just cascading of ill effects. Slow only affects a target's ability to move, while Chill slows movement and attack, and Freeze stops them entirely. Having run with a CM/WW for a long time, I can attest that I get Cull the Weak's benefit from them freezing anything. I favor a Cold SOJ for this reason since at higher MPs, I find it more easy to maintain the benefit from Cull the Weak with a Cold SOJ over say Steady Aim.

A cold soj is also viable but it might be hard ask for some to lose the EHP from dropping perfectionist and one of their ring slots, Entangling shot means you only have to give up a passive slot, and since shock collar does such a great job at replenishing discipline with Nightstalker, it makes dropping preparation that big of a deal.
Just tested it with TekkaZeroX, Cull does work with a CM wiz using Frost Nova. That means Engangling Shot is redundant "slowing". Go balls out DPS with your ID man.
02/24/2013 07:11 PMPosted by Oscar
Just tested it with TerraZeroX, Cull does work with a CM wiz using Frost Nova

That means another spender/generator can go in place of Entangling shot. Interesting.
the most I can squeeze out from my Echo build (no RoV, no follower) is topping out at 557% sheet-dps vs Ghom (mp6 dead in 32 second : 1.13m eDPS : 202k listed)

SoT
Echo
M4D:ME
sCloud
vault+gloom

I know solid stutter stepping Cluster Bombs+Tinkerer+Grenadier builds should achieve better eDPS, but this is about the best % I think I can perform
x5.57 my listed

vs SB this drops to more like 460%, because of it's interruption kb's and lift

That means another spender/generator can go in place of Entangling shot. Interesting.

you'd probably want something cheap, like sCloud
though sentry is better long term + range ofcourse
I'm a CM Wizard who has a friend looking for a different DH build for Ubers. Is this effective with a Manticore or is there something the Calamity does specifically that makes it viable? Are their any other pre-requisites to make this build viable?
Recently, I swapped out Perfectionist for Custom Engineering to support group play better. I find this build really fun. (X-refer to my profile)

Calamity's high aps can regain hatred and disc very quickly. And can synergize with Custom Engineering to churn out more spike traps and sentry for a support build that will be welcomed by melee classes in public games.

Gears/Stats Required: Stack attack speed and crit chance for Nightstalker proc. Recommended minimum 3 attacks per second. Recommended at least 400 all res and 4k armor.

Skills: -
1) Bola Shot for high MP face tank and synergy with Echoing blast.
2) Echoing Blast
3) Companion Bat for extra hatred regeneration for the 6 spike traps and 3 sentries
4) Guardian turret for group support
5) Marked for Death - Grim Reaper for synergy with Echoing blast
6) Shadow Power Gloom for damage mitigation

Note: Preparation is not needed in this build as disc is only used for Gloom and MFD and is regenerated quickly with fast aps and high crit chance.

But Vault/Smoke screen will be solely missed. Got to be more careful(i.e. Vortex, Teleport, Arcane).

Passives: -
1) Custom Engineering
2) Archery
3) Nightstalker

Cheers!
speaking of "maximizing single target dmg" ... has any calamity user tried to focus HEAVILY on +average damage? Both rings + Amulet with like +20-70 avg dmg

looking at the AH, without +avg dmg gear it looks like ~500-1000 (calam) vs. ~850-1300 for higher end pieces... wonder if you could realistically close the gap with +avg dmg gear. I dont have the gold to try this with good pieces though lol
Excuse my noob ness, but how did you get your right click to also be a primary skill?