WoW should go F2P

Games & Technology
And P2W if that is what they need to do to make money. I know they are f2p but only to a low lvl I think that wow should go F2P and that is one of the only ways that I will ever play the game again. Unless they go to a console version even then it depends on what console and what changes they had to make to get it on a console.
Free to play as a rule usually creates a community of whiny selfish players to demand that everything is free OR ELSE. Not realizing or caring that even the basic upkeep of an MMORPG takes megabucks
1. Pay to win would never work in Wow.

2. Wow generates most of its income from subscriptions, not box sales, so F2P would lose Blizz money, not make it.

In any event, Wow is not in such dire straits that Blizz needs to drastically change its model. In fact, their subscription numbers look pretty healthy for an eight year old MMO.
even if it went F2P i wouldn't play it. just not my kind of game.
Did a report on sub numbers come out showing a massive drop? Last I heard, WoW was doing pretty well maintaining millions of active subs (making lots of $$). No reason for Bliz to even consider f2p as long as millions are giving them $15 a month. That's not even counting whatever mount or pet they're selling nor box/digital sells of the game. Hell, they could probably lose a few million subs and WoW would STILL be highly profitable.
Isn't it already F2P? Starter Edition lets you level up to 20.

2. Wow generates most of its income from subscriptions, not box sales, so F2P would lose Blizz money, not make it.

In any event, Wow is not in such dire straits that Blizz needs to drastically change its model. In fact, their subscription numbers look pretty healthy for an eight year old MMO.

so your telling me faction change name change server change and all that doesnt make them money? you've gotta be kidding me. what about the mount/pet store? they are just making fine money if they go f2p. all they need to do is update the pet/mount store more and then dumb price on them for 5/10 bucks and people will buy them. same with the services.

look at league of legends and guild wars 2. they make all their extra money on micro-transactions
02/24/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Miskranatov
Isn't it already F2P? Starter Edition lets you level up to 20.

Technically yes, but starter edition is so limited that most people consider it more of a "Trial", rather than actually playing the game

so your telling me faction change name change server change and all that doesnt make them money? you've gotta be kidding me. what about the mount/pet store? they are just making fine money if they go f2p. all they need to do is update the pet/mount store more and then dumb price on them for 5/10 bucks and people will buy them. same with the services.

look at league of legends and guild wars 2. they make all their extra money on micro-transactions

Sloth, those things do make money. But right now WoW is still hovering around 12 million paid subs each month. There is no way all those paid services could come close to generating 180 million a month/2 billion a year that subs do. That's right. Billions with a B. That's amazing money for a game as old as WoW is. In fact, that's sick money. Give away something for free when you are making billions? Not as long as subs are still in the millions.

There is no way transfers a and pet sales make that much money. Take December's charity drive with the Cinder Kitten as an example. It raised over 2 million for Red Cross. That was with people who don't usually buy pets forking out money for a cause. Still short a few billion.

And if you play Diablo 3, you should be glad Blizzard has a cash cow to keep the rest of the departments employed and working on fixes.
Basically...

Sloth, those things do make money. But right now WoW is still hovering around 12 million paid subs each month. There is no way all those paid services could come close to generating 180 million a month/2 billion a year that subs do. That's right. Billions with a B. That's amazing money for a game as old as WoW is. In fact, that's sick money. Give away something for free when you are making billions? Not as long as subs are still in the millions.

There is no way transfers a and pet sales make that much money. Take December's charity drive with the Cinder Kitten as an example. It raised over 2 million for Red Cross. That was with people who don't usually buy pets forking out money for a cause. Still short a few billion.

And if you play Diablo 3, you should be glad Blizzard has a cash cow to keep the rest of the departments employed and working on fixes.

There's nothing now that would justify a change in their business plan. WoW's best interest is to keep its remaining subs... interested (till Titan is released). So far it means free other Blizzard titles for anual WoW subs.
what's that old addage, "if it ain't broke, DONT FIX IT"
i think somewhere, someone added *dumba$$* at the end of that phrase, but i may be mistaken