[GUIDE] DH Builds, Info, and FAQ UPDATE 9/914

Demon Hunter
Prev 1 2 3 4 11 Next
02/25/2013 04:44 PMPosted by Tropicalypso
Oddly enough, I find the champs in VoA to be a bit tougher than Act 3 as some of them just kick out tremendous damage.

Seriously, who the heck decided that those Burning Guardians (throw fireball that turns into an immolation) could ALSO GET desecrate? It's like a ranged plague spot that crop up every 3 seconds
02/25/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Oscar
Oddly enough, I find the champs in VoA to be a bit tougher than Act 3 as some of them just kick out tremendous damage.

Seriously, who the heck decided that those Burning Guardians (throw fireball that turns into an immolation) could ALSO GET desecrate? It's like a ranged plague spot that crop up every 3 seconds

Exactly :0)

The whirling champs will put a hunting on you too if you get caught in the middle of their spin (and naturally, they tend to spawn with Vortex)
So yeah, Bump, Any specs I missed here?
Well, if the enemy is farther than they can see, they can't touch you. i dont know about you but i dont like getting hit. So im hoping that if i use rapid shot with a Dex/DPS based build with high knockback %, then i should have no real worries. i was also thinking of using a 2h bow since i know i have under 200k gold to start with, prices on them should be low enough to get a bow 1k+ base dps.
As a new DH, I had a question specific to the playstyle of the Hungering Arrow / Ball Lightning build. Since both are AoE attacks, in which situations do you use each skill?

I've currently been farming MP0 and just shoot 3 or 4 ball lightnings in the direction of mobs then vault on to the next pack... I find that I only use HA when I am low on hatred, which is honestly pretty rare with vengeance passive. I'm currently farming at about 50-60 million xp/hour, which seems pretty efficient considering I pick up some rares, gems, tomes. Insight into the "correct" playstyle would be helpful!

Ball Lightning is almost always my skill of choice if there are multiple targets in this case. If there is only one or two targets, Hungering Arrow, by a long shot, however, sometimes it's just easier to BL stutter step around everywhere. Especially at MP0, just a few shots will clear your view until the BL reaches it's maximum distance anyway.

it sounds like your method is quite effective, I wouldn't change anything you're doing.

Thanks for the insight, Oscar!
What's a guy gotta do to get a sticky around here?!?! Will more bumps get us a sticky??
Very good stuff and yes this should be a sticky, It's already been reported for Sticky Status, but yeah...it needs to be a sticky. :)
Thanks! Still trying to figure out how to get Blizzard's attention on this. Smoke Signals?
EPIC POST, IS EPIC.
would these specs work for HC?
Looking for experts who use Legacy Nats.

ahem....
You can insert this into the legacy nat's section. Here's my experience with legacy.

Legacy Nats = perma-gloom and spammable vaults.
However, the catch is that you sacrifice stats even if you have the best rolled Nat pieces.
With that said, the significant discipline pool from Legacy Nats allows your hunter or huntress to go and take discipline dumps, dumps of pure discipline. For example, you can spam 5x jagged spikes, or cast marked for death without second thoughts, or trail of cinder just cuz you feel like it.

There are many possible builds, but only two that really capitalize on the Legacy.
(these are all for mid to high MP levels, i.e. 7-10 with 200k dps, 40-50%CC, and 450resists).

BUILD#1: DISCIPLINE DIARRHEA
The core principle here is that you want so much discipline, you become discipline diarrhetic.
Core skills: CINDER ARROW (or CLUSTER GRENADES) + NIGHTSTALKER + VENGEANCE
The cinder arrow (or cluster grenades) proc nightstalker like crazy. With 3 discipline per second, plus the nightstalker return, you are free to not only perma-gloom carelessly, but can 5-stack jagged spikes, smokescreen (with the hatred regen rune), and vault reliably and consistently.
The 5-stack jagged spikes also synergizes incredibly well with either Cluster arrow (Clusterbombs) or Echoing Blast.

BUILD#2: HATRED HOAR
The core principle here is that 3 discipline per second is just enough discipline to let you drop nightstalker and/or vengeance with full realization that you will have to use discipline conservatively, almost like a non-legacy nat. You will not be able to discipline dump as in build#1. However, the advantage of dropping nightstalker for something else gives you many more options.
Core skills: NO NEED FOR NIGHTSTALKER. Instead, you can use Grenadier + Vengeance for spamming cluster arrows. Or, you can use Bola Shot (Imminent doom) + Grim Reaper for some insane single-target dps that's also insanely aoe.

Finally, it's worth noting that Legacy Nat's, Tactical Advantage, and Vault are three-some soul-mates. If you go legacy nats, it's obligatory to run Vault and TA. The reasons can be found by googling, but basically since you can perma vault, and vault can break most CC's, why the f'k not!

There's also a pvp build for legacy, but I suck at pvp, so I defer to another legacy hunter.

...................most of these skills are alien to me. lol
@ Shdwflare, I'm happy to accept your contributions if you'd like to post up a commonly used LNat's Build!
Very good post.

IMO, custom engineering is good only for calamity users or freaking fast manti users. I would replace it in both uber and pvp situations for all other guys.
I personally like Custom Engineering for PVP, not because of the spike traps, but for the Sentries. Spitfire Sentries are the biggest annoyance to melee players.
Nah, i can't kill barbs with sentry. I'm using thunder ball to bring them down (not for total stun lock, i just use it to make them stop running away after ignore pain).

I don't disagree with you though, sentries + engineering are indeed very good.
Nah, i can't kill barbs with sentry. I'm using thunder ball to bring them down (not for total stun lock, i just use it to make them stop running away after ignore pain).

I don't disagree with you though, sentries + engineering are indeed very good.

I will give thunderball a try. :-) Normally, I just hungering arrow and impale them to death. Chemical burn last long enough that it often gets in a few ticks after their Ignore Pain wears off
Are there any common builds based around rapid fire? I recently started some public games and saw quite a few DH use rapid fire to great affect but most of the builds I tried were a bust with me running out of hatred (and health) too fast to be much use. I'm not sure if it was my gear as I haven't updated gear in quite a few levels.
02/27/2013 04:15 PMPosted by Icepack
Are there any common builds based around rapid fire? I recently started some public games and saw quite a few DH use rapid fire to great affect but most of the builds I tried were a bust with me running out of hatred (and health) too fast to be much use. I'm not sure if it was my gear as I haven't updated gear in quite a few levels.

Rapid Fire is a channeled ability, and for DH, that means you're a sitting duck. Some players who are geared properly for it might get some mileage out of that skill, I personally feel it is an underwhelming skill compared to it's cohorts.

As with any channeled ability, using a slow speed weapon is preferred to decrease the drain on your resources, which you're obviously experiencing at lvl 51 with a 1.4 Atk Speed Bow.

Try a slow 2H Crossbow and see how that works for you. At your level, I still prefer HA/BL/MS spec.
Originally I was using BS/BL and sentry build with marked for death and was doing very well solo. Just in those games other DH was killing them with rapid fire before my bolo shot even went off. Was frustrating me. Thanks for the advice I'll play around with HA.
i want to submit the following build for common build consideration.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQdgVk!XfV!cacYbc

this is my goto mp10 setup heres why:
-dmg is good, echo traps hurt (get a soj for really good dps boost). Turrets while taken for defensive purposes here are actually amazing dps boost, especially on ubers. 30 hatred for 30 secs of 175% dmg per sec is a very efficient use of your hatred in terms of dmg/hatred.
-dmg reduction you got your gloom, which is 35%, add the turrets for 15% more, and then drop 20% more from numbing traps and your survivability goes way up.
-party dmg reduction