Two glaring issues that require your ATTN

General Discussion
Every time we ask for some kind of UI fix, we get answers that make it feel like it's the end of the world, that it's huge amounts of work.

It's almost as if they designed the UI from the ground up to be a programming mess that takes forever and is complicated to modify. What the heck?

Do those programmers now understand that making a UI design that isn't easily alterable and modulable is an horribly bad decision?

Even if D3 isn't an MMO, any one with some common sense could have seen that the UI would have needed tweaks during the game's life.... c'mon Blizzard.

From the very early days of the game, CM's have told us that D3's UI is very rigid and hard to modify. WHY WAS IT MADE LIKE THAT? Can we know?

A few months ago, I [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6758726090?page=1#10"]went over[/url] a bit of our philosophy surrounding why we only allow five active buffs to be viewable at any time, but I wanted to let you know what we’re still very aware of this concern. We think that it would be great to be able to view more than five of your active buffs, and we’re looking into solutions that would ensure players are able to view buffs that are important to them, while also keeping UI clutter to a minimum. Ideally, we’d like to avoid situations where a portion of your screen is overwhelmed by buff icons (for example, just having your buffs stack across the bottom of your bar) and we’re still experimenting with different ways to present that information in a format that works well for Diablo III.

You want to talk about screen clutter?

I play a wizard. I have energy armor, magic weapon, and nephalem valor on all the time. If I have a shrine or a barb or witch doctor in my party I am easily at 5 almost all the time. The problem comes when I activate my freezing spell that improves my crit chance if I freeze more than 5 enemies (I am forgetting the actual name of it at the moment). So, half the time if I can't see it I find myself having to actually play with my inventory open covering half my screen in order to check and see the change in DPS/when the buff expires. So, rather than add a couple extra boxes to the row seemingly designed for boxes to appear (it is designed for that) half my screen goes away.

For that matter, why do we have to open our inventory to see our dps? So often players ask each other what their dps is with x buff on, etc. It's a fun community game of comparison. Wouldn't it be better if a small box above our mouse-assigned skills showed this? Or, better yet, to avoid interface clutter as you suggest, why not have a hotkey that just displays your dps in your own chat messages or as a popup on screen (and add a similar thing for your resistances and armor).
What a joke.

You honestly expect us to believe you clowns aren't able to code in AH item comparison after a fuc*ing year? This is such a huge issue that it should have taken priority over the saddest excuse for pvp on any online game.

You should be ashamed of yourselves for allowing this crap to happen; you should know better.

Of course you come out with the same typical PR bull!@#$, and think to yourselves 'that'll shut em up'. I guess the developers care as much about the game as upper management does. Buying this game is easily one of the worst purchase decisions I've ever made.
02/28/2013 04:05 AMPosted by Hotshot

You clearly don't care though.

You're a multi-billion dollar company, please, don't lecture us about how easy/difficult it is.

And you have zero understanding of game development, coding on this level, how businesses operate, or anything that would give credence to anything you have to say on the matter. CMs are not lawyers, they do not make money by convincing people of things that may be untrue. People who don't know anything calling them liars just gives them justification to not bother posting, so that people like you can complain about how they're not posting enough and clearly don't care about the game or the community. It's lose-lose with people like you, unless that feature you want shows up in the game right ****ing now!

Amen to this, couldn't agree more.
^
1.) Show ALL buffs on characters:
I play a monk, I always have a barb friend with me and there are shrines all over the damn place (sometimes 2 are literally right next to each other). Showing only 5 of the sometimes 7-8+ active buffs on my character is RIDICULOUS. Help us take your game more seriously by presenting all of the necessary information to us.

A few months ago, I [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6758726090?page=1#10"]went over[/url] a bit of our philosophy surrounding why we only allow five active buffs to be viewable at any time, but I wanted to let you know what we’re still very aware of this concern. We think that it would be great to be able to view more than five of your active buffs, and we’re looking into solutions that would ensure players are able to view buffs that are important to them, while also keeping UI clutter to a minimum. Ideally, we’d like to avoid situations where a portion of your screen is overwhelmed by buff icons (for example, just having your buffs stack across the bottom of your bar) and we’re still experimenting with different ways to present that information in a format that works well for Diablo III.

2.) Show a proper tool-tip in the AH and on message-linked items.
Very simple. We get this only when we are in a game lobby. Why? Show us the change in life, damage and protection when we click on an item from the AH or from the chat. Now, you may ask how accounts with multiple characters are handled. One little note could be added that states: "Tool-tip comparison is based on the SELECTED hero." SIMPLE. DONE. It compares the item only to the character you have used most recently. Not that hard, folks!

Thanks for your time!

It may not sound hard, but it isn’t an easy code change. It often takes a great deal of work in order to update and alter our complex coding, and it’s actually been a notable tech investment to try to tackle this particular request for updated item comparison tooltips (which Lylirra mentioned [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6369407745?page=22#440"]here[/url] as well).

The good news is that we’ve been making a lot of progress, and this feature is planned for an upcoming patch. :)

What he/she meant to say is that they have to make sure the playstation people are happy too.
A few months ago, I went over a bit of our philosophy surrounding why we only allow five active buffs to be viewable at any time, but I wanted to let you know what we’re still very aware of this concern. We think that it would be great to be able to view more than five of your active buffs, and we’re looking into solutions that would ensure players are able to view buffs that are important to them, while also keeping UI clutter to a minimum. Ideally, we’d like to avoid situations where a portion of your screen is overwhelmed by buff icons (for example, just having your buffs stack across the bottom of your bar) and we’re still experimenting with different ways to present that information in a format that works well for Diablo III.

This still feels like an excuse to put off actually resolving the issue.

Why not provide an option to the players to allow us to see up to 10 buffs, with a slider that we can choose less if we want to see less? And don't come back with that hogwash about "too many options". We, the players, are not simpletons and saying that you don't want to have "too many options" because it would be "overwhelming" is implying we are.

And what's wrong with having a row of buffs across the bottom? If someone wants to see the buffs they're running, they're not concerned with "clutter" (still not sure how that's considered clutter, either).

What is Blizzard's aversion to providing options and customization to the players? Why are you so scared to allow us to see what we want to see?
02/27/2013 10:12 PMPosted by Zunimassa
It may not sound hard, but it isn’t an easy code change.

Word up! It's only 2013; coding 5 buffs on the HUD is already a huge accomplishment. Like any other multi-billion dollar successful company, Blizzard needs to prioritize any future game changes. This change would definitely need an entire new department to implement the displaying of additional buffs. Plus, who wants stuff all over their screen when the PS3 version hits the market?

Har.. har..

Holy crap did you rip that one out of context. I don't even know what to say...
It may not sound hard, but it isn’t an easy code change. It often takes a great deal of work in order to update and alter our complex coding, and it’s actually been a notable tech investment to try to tackle this particular request for updated item comparison tooltips

Wasn't there one of those 3rd party add ons (which wasn't allowed) that could make these comparisons in ah and show them for you? If so, how can it be harder for Blizzard to add this to the game?
Not trying to act hostile, just wondering
I play a monk, I always have a barb friend with me and there are shrines all over the damn place (sometimes 2 are literally right next to each other). Showing only 5 of the sometimes 7-8+ active buffs on my character is RIDICULOUS. Help us take your game more seriously by presenting all of the necessary information to us.

2.) Show a proper tool-tip in the AH and on message-linked items.
Very simple. We get this only when we are in a game lobby. Why? Show us the change in life, damage and protection when we click on an item from the AH or from the chat. Now, you may ask how accounts with multiple characters are handled. One little note could be added that states: "Tool-tip comparison is based on the SELECTED hero." SIMPLE. DONE. It compares the item only to the character you have used most recently. Not that hard, folks!

Thanks for your time!

It may not sound hard, but it isn’t an easy code change. It often takes a great deal of work in order to update and alter our complex coding, and it’s actually been a notable tech investment to try to tackle this particular request for updated item comparison tooltips (which Lylirra mentioned [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6369407745?page=22#440"]here[/url] as well).

The good news is that we’ve been making a lot of progress, and this feature is planned for an upcoming patch. :)

Why wasn't this implemented at launch? Good lord, Blizzard pushed us into using the AH to progress in the game then didn't gave us a steaming pile that is the current AH...

Any chance we'll be able to search for more skills in AH? I would love to be able to do a quick search for a Fury Reduce Hammer of the Ancients ring.... instead of having to sift through EVERY Stone of Jordan and Skull Grasp.
such bull!@#$ excuse.
A few months ago, I went over a bit of our philosophy surrounding why we only allow five active buffs to be viewable at any time, but I wanted to let you know what we’re still very aware of this concern. We think that it would be great to be able to view more than five of your active buffs, and we’re looking into solutions that would ensure players are able to view buffs that are important to them, while also keeping UI clutter to a minimum. Ideally, we’d like to avoid situations where a portion of your screen is overwhelmed by buff icons (for example, just having your buffs stack across the bottom of your bar) and we’re still experimenting with different ways to present that information in a format that works well for Diablo III.

I don't buy it, this is a ridiculous position. 10 buffs across the bottom instead of 5 would not be "clutter" it would affect the visual experience of the game in a very minor way and would increase useful information that players need to best utilize their skills.

A few months ago, I [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6758726090?page=1#10"]went over[/url] a bit of our philosophy surrounding why we only allow five active buffs to be viewable at any time, but I wanted to let you know what we’re still very aware of this concern. We think that it would be great to be able to view more than five of your active buffs, and we’re looking into solutions that would ensure players are able to view buffs that are important to them, while also keeping UI clutter to a minimum.

Stop using UI clutter as an excuse for a meager buff display. If clutter was a concern, why show any buffs? Why show debuffs? Why show an experience bar? Why show a minimap? Lol at all that clutter!!

The fact remains that this game was rushed, and the lack of options on how the UI is presented is indicative of this. Let your customers decide on how "cluttered" we want our screen to be. Stop being so damn paternalistic. Your arbitrary notion of what constitutes clutter is a transparent attempt at masking the half-hearted efforts that went into making the UI in the first place.