I don't get multi-platform negativity

General Discussion
Prev 1 18 19 20 30 Next
Since I wasn't privy to every individual thought the developers were thinking as they implemented specific features for the PC game, it's possible that someone at some point thought about something related to console. (Though it may just have been whether or not they remembered to plug in their PS3 controller that morning.)

Even so, to counter a metaphor with a metaphor, I think a lot of players in this discussion can't see the forest for the trees. The point is that it wasn't on the PC design team to make considerations for console. Their focus has been and continues to be the PC game. It's the job of console team to make considerations for console as they adapt the existing game for the PlayStation.

Ok, I understand what you mean there :)
Oh well, it can't be helped.

Nah, you specifically mentioned NCSoft games. I'm 45 years old and have been playing console and PC games since Pong hit the streets. I played UO for years, and that was a grind from hell, but you never got up from a session playing and felt like you didn't get anything done. It's pretty routine to do that in this game.

I did indeed mention NCSoft, but that's just one of many. And the only reason I mentioned NCSoft is because you seem to have a !@#$%^ for making everything into a blizzard fanboy argument when it's really as simple as saying 'I enjoy playing this game'. If it pleases you however, I could mention some non-NC games, such as the obvious WoW, TERA, TOR, Anarchy Online, EvE (although EvE's sorta in a class of its own due to its economy, but in terms of loot the example stands), the list goes on. In most of those games you often end up with nothing except a few bucks after a grind...because not only is the itemized RNG painful, but the RNG of whether or not the bosses/mobs drop anything at all tends to not work in your favor. Me, after a day's grinding I end up with many, many many millions in my bank at least. Granted those examples are MMOs and not Diablo, but since we're cryin' like MMO players, there ya go.

And where's the opportunity to make bank? It's nothing but a slot machine pull, and your only real control is how fast you can pull the bar. In this game that really equates to running the exact same route, over and over, as fast as you can. Even when you do all that it's easy to go days and days and not pick up anything worth selling.

I sell things every stinkin' day. And make heaps of gold, every stinkin' day. My only complaint is wizard sets with Str on them, stuff like that.... things of which the devs are aware.

Blankies and whining? That isn't really going to bring anyone around to your point of view. Actually, it kind of sounds like you whining about the opinions of others.

Who says I'm trying to bring anyone around? I'm calling out your BS. Either it's dumbed down for 12 year olds, or it's impossible to get what you want. Pick one, it can't be both (and imo it's neither, but that's just me).

You love everything about the game? That's great. Just because someone doesn't apparently means they're a whiner. Great argument there. Not everyone drops a credit card on the AH to get ahead, nor do they dig treating the game like a job to get a sense of progression out of it. How do you express that to Blizzard? Here in the forums.

More comprehension fail on your part. Pretty sure I've mentioned multiple times that I agree with you regarding how badly the itemization RNG needs work. And do you know how much IRL money I've spent in this game? Zero. I don't even know how the $ AH works, and I've no plans to experience it. I just don't expect my gear and achievements to be spoonfed because it's 'too hard/takes too long' otherwise. That would be dumbing the game down.
Is that belief still held high in the development office?

We believe that many aspects of itemization in Diablo III work great, but that the system isn't perfect and can be improved. Overall, we feel like we've been making the item game better with each new patch, and definitely have plans to continue to that process. Some of the areas we'd like to focus on for the future include making Legendary items more "game changing" while still being powerful enough for players to want to equip them, introducing more meaningful gold sinks, and continuing to provide players with reliable ways to gear up outside of the Auction House.

I wish I could believe this wasn't just more spin...

I wish you could, too, but it's okay if you don't. :) The intent of my post wasn't to really to change anyone's minds, but just make sure that people have enough information to make informed decisions on their own.

Hi Lylirra

The itemization isn't bad right now. There's plenty of affixes to go around. The issue is there needs to be more interesting item affixes. You guys made strides with the Legendary improvements in 104. More Legendaries with new affixes will definitely help the itemization. It isn't what's already there, but rather not there.

A shield that permanantly equips Mantra of Retribution as long as it is worn, etc.... Calamity(Chance for Marked To Death) does a good job something like this but really only one of the fews.

Also, the BIGGEST problem with the game right now is the "Lobby" or non existent lobby. If the game shipped with D2 style Lobby, the playerbase would be MUCH larger than it currently is. D2 with D3's lobby would not have gone very long. The social aspect is so important at keeping players. Creating custom named games is so important (ie MP7 Keyfarming, Brawling And More, A3 Full Clears Casuals only). Have lobbies instanced(100 player max per? ), named games, and the characters on the bottom. Hire a couple extra in game moderators if bot spam is a reason keeping this back.

There's other things that need improvement, but these two are the single handed biggest issues right now.

One thing that is holding this game back, is the development dollars.

The game needs a revamp of the social screen and lobby, but higher ups aren't putting any more money into the game. You guys need to rehire some temporary contractors to put in work to get a social system in this game. The devs and you CM's shouldn't have to take all this heat when you only have a handful of people designing and less coding for updates and changes. You are good people and don't deserve some of the flak you get.
02/25/2013 05:51 PMPosted by TopStock
I just don't expect my gear and achievements to be spoonfed because it's 'too hard/takes too long' otherwise. That would be dumbing the game down.

you do know if the game stayed the same as it was in launch you would of quit this idea a long time ago..

sure, now players can have your approach since everything HAS been handed to you in the form of nerfs/buffs and increased drop rates and easy crafting

I started playing on day one. I'm well aware of the changes made since early release and now, and I see a long, fun road with tons of opportunity for improvement and expansion.

Also, nice comeback. Now we're full circle to 'EVERYTHING IS HANDED TO NEW PEOPLE'. So, it's not too hard now, but now it's dumbed down and everything's easy and nerfed.

You sound like WoW players :D
Where's the character customization that was featured at blizzcon? We are'nt even allowed to ask dev's about, but so glad your working to appease a new fanbase....

The development of Diablo III for PlayStation isn't related to our ongoing support of the PC game. We still want to make improvements to specific areas like itemization and customization:

02/25/2013 05:28 PMPosted by Lylirra
We believe that many aspects of itemization in Diablo III work great, but that the system isn't perfect and can be improved. Overall, we feel like we've been making the item game better with each new patch, and definitely have plans to continue to that process. Some of the areas we'd like to focus on for the future include making Legendary items more "game changing" while still being powerful enough for players to want to equip them, introducing more meaningful gold sinks, and continuing to provide players with reliable ways to gear up outside of the Auction House.

02/25/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Travis Day
I agree, visual customization has a lot of value, people like to differentiate themselves from each other or sometimes just get bored of looking at the same thing all day every day. In fact we agree SO much that we have plans to add this feature in the future.
"I don't get multi-platform negativity" - well, the game is bad, to a lot of people, especially D2-veterans (which, in an ideal world, would've been their target audience), and instead of taking all of their 'diablo-allotted resources' and using them to improve the game, no...they decide to make a console version.
Then, to top it all off, they add one of the most requested features ever to the console, but not the PC version - offline play.
Yeah, I don't get the negativity at all.
02/25/2013 05:55 PMPosted by Lylirra
Where's the character customization that was featured at blizzcon? We are'nt even allowed to ask dev's about, but so glad your working to appease a new fanbase....

The development of Diablo III for PlayStation isn't related to our ongoing support of the PC game. We still want to make improvements to specific areas like itemization and customization:

02/25/2013 05:28 PMPosted by Lylirra

02/25/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Travis Day
I agree, visual customization has a lot of value, people like to differentiate themselves from each other or sometimes just get bored of looking at the same thing all day every day. In fact we agree SO much that we have plans to add this feature in the future.

Please, consider improving random events too!
Is that belief still held high in the development office?

I wish I could believe this wasn't just more spin...

I wish you could, too, but it's okay if you don't. :) The intent of my post wasn't to really to change anyone's minds, but just make sure that people have enough information to make informed decisions on their own.

*sigh*

While i appreciate the worthwhile nod to improving Legendary items even further this mindset IS the problem.

Why is there absolutely no mention nor effort made to improving the "uselessness" of all the other item levels ?

White items - Junk / In D2 these items formed an entire reason to hunt them for crafting magic.
Blue items - no one even looks at these / In D2 some of these items allowed crazy builds to work.
Rares - These are like pieces of gum stuck on your shoe now / In D2 when a rare dropped it had the potential to roll values higher than set/uniques and thus was a LARGE part of the end game item hunt.

I hate to to throw any kind of "hate" into a thread but since no one will read this anyway i shall say my peace.

Have any of you on the D3 development team ever PLAYED D2 before ? Honestly.....i really think the answer is no. Because no one could possibly have played the amazing item hunt in D2 and then screw it up so completely in the successor. Then have the balls to claim they made it "better"

I also read that sockets are still on the table just in case you decide to implement them......pfftt
after reading that i have almost no hope of this game being salvaged.

If you cannot do something good then do something right, bring back the necromancer class for starters.
Good lord this game is a mess.
Lylirra

. No, the PC version of Diablo III was not designed for console from the beginning. It was developed for the PC with one major goal in mind: provide players with an awesome hack-and-slash computer game that's both fun and engaging.

Assuming for a moment that this statement is ABSOLUTELY true, This is what is wrong in the eyes of many fans of the franchise!

A whole lot of us did not want a "hack-and-slash" game!

We wanted a D I A B L O game!