The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu

General Discussion
Prev 1 44 45 46 50 Next
@ theeighthark

I think your ideas about the Masteries and combining the two systems into one.
I also completely share your views in regards to Wrath.
03/02/2013 09:58 AMPosted by obiwan
I think WOW and Diablo 3 are two different games, like Starcraft 2 and WOW, and Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. But WOW fanboys can't write a post without speak about their game.

It's got nothing to do with being a "WoW fanboy" as you call it.
WoW took a lot from other games, namely Diablo2 and the original Neverwinternights (though WoW chose to be real time like D2 as opposed to Neverwinternights).

Now Diablo3 have clearly taken few things from WoW. If you think that games don't affect each other, because they are "different games", then I don't know what to say to you...
03/02/2013 10:42 AMPosted by Chopu
This isnt WoW.

What kind of an answer is that?
What I answered was clearly in regards to your suggestion about DLC. No Blizzard game, neither StarCraft, nor Diablo, not even WarCraft has suggested that expansions are a thing of the past. That's what I meant by that comment. Learn to read the overall meaning, instead of reacting to the mere mention of WoW as bulls react to a red piece of cloth.
03/02/2013 10:31 AMPosted by familia
He's under the impression that his opinion matters.

If our opinions don't matter, then why are you here?

I am gonna say it again. Blizzard actually listened more than the players expected them to.
Prior to the release, mainly in the years 2010 and 2011 players were complaining that Diablo2 used to be too easy of a game and asked for Diablo3 to be extremely hard. Blizzard listened to to players and made the game extremely hard, at least what they (Blizzards) understood as "hard".

Then players complained, that this is too hard and that Blizzard should go easy on the difficulty. Blizzard listened again.

Then players complained, that the game needs to allow the players to regulate the difficulty. Blizzard obeyed and allowed the players to manually adjust the difficulty.

They also listened to Kripparrian's suggestion about the implementation of Champion levels and implemented the Paragon System (for better or worse).

You still think our opinions don't matter? Better go troll somewhere else.
Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts on paper for us. There are a lot of topics here that deserve attention and I want to share our views on them with all of you. Stay a while and listen.

Challenge

Challenge is certainly something that has value; players can’t feel a sense of accomplishment if everything in the game can be face rolled. I think many people would agree that, at launch, the game was too challenging. It was very difficult to progress through Inferno depending on your class or items and the challenge was a large part of the reason players felt like they were driven to the AH in the first place. When you present players with difficult content they will find a way to overcome it which usually means using only the most powerful items and abilities. The unfortunate side effect is it also drives players away from the play styles they feel are “just fun”. We have taken steps to improve this problem a number of ways; reducing the overall difficulty of Inferno, improving the potency of underused skills to allow players more diversity in their gameplay, and introducing Monster Power to allow players to set the game to a level which they feel is enjoyable. I think the right way to introduce challenge is to make it optional, for example having difficult content for the players that enjoy it without penalizing the players who prefer a more relaxed gameplay experience.

i dont think you got the point. its not about monster health and damage, is about engaging and rewarding gameplay supported by mechanics that requires skill, and not gear.
What kind of an answer is that?
What I answered was clearly in regards to your suggestion about DLC. No Blizzard game, neither StarCraft, nor Diablo, not even WarCraft has suggested that expansions are a thing of the past. That's what I meant by that comment. Learn to read the overall meaning, instead of reacting to the mere mention of WoW as bulls react to a red piece of cloth.

Because your question does not deserve such a charitable answer obviously. You still have yet to answer my initial question as to why Diablo must absolutely have an expansion rather than just some DLC here and there to keep the game fresh all the time? And, please do not give an unrelated answer such as WoW still does it.

Edit: And you really think SCII needed expansions to begin with?? it should have been one game to begin with. Money grab IMO.
Instinctively MMOs will always have expansions.

"I am gonna say it again. Blizzard actually listened more than the players expected them to."
Yea, due to their own incompetence.
He's right on the money, blizzard has the money, is either not using it, doesn't use it right, or is just hoarding it like a typical big business. SO, how about they own up their !@#$, cut their pay grades to just an absurd rate, from the outrageous they apparently are making, if everything is as everything is.
Yeah you're right i'm assuming people know how to connect the dots here, something we all learn in the pre-cognitive stages....am I making sense? probably not, but then, bull%^-* never made sense either, it just happened.

And yet the highest rated games in the genre all have skill trees...

Game ratings equal game popularity and not game quality. Some of the best games out there have had low rating scores.

Also this we are talking the future. Not being stuck in the present or the past. This relates to gaming as the public don't know what game features they will love tomorrow. You have to go out on a limb develop something and hope for the best. The only thing we do know is if you do nothing and stay the same, it will eventually get stale and boring. Diablo 3 and Blizzard are trying to push things to new and interesting heights. And not all of it will be perceived well at the time. But look back on it and people will be glad it happened.

Sure that's slightly off topic, but my point is, skill trees are so yesterday. Time to move on to bigger and better things. Even if the game reviewing world are not willing to accept it. And give it the high scores it deserves.

And 10+ million sales > any random game reviewer's game rating score. Add in WoW's sales too and the people still playing Panda with no skill trees.

So to sumerize: "God! Skill trees were so, like, 6 years ago. Get with the times. And sales dont have anything to do with success...unless of course im defending D3 or panda land, in which case; Look at those numbers!!"
Keep the skillsystem as it is.
Its great that you can change skills on a whim. But as we all know, on its own, its a lacking design for the logevity of the game and from a characters uniqueness.

But once you reach level 60, not before, you can start to allocate 1 skillpoint for every paragon level. This skillpoint would obviously buff your chosen skill and all the runes associated with it, scaled appropriately and with a max of 20 points/skill.

This way you keep the current skillsystem but once you reach level 60 and have a knowledge of all your skills and what you like to play with, you can start specializing in your favourites. And voila, we get the best of both. Ofcourse you should be able to switch to any other skill of your choosing, wether you have spent point in them or not.
Characted progression with builds and still keep the skill diversity of the current system.

Maybe have some kind of respec option in case you find that youd rather have one skill over the other or simply to change it up a little.
- 6 respecs total/character. But each respec only resets one skill of you choosing, not everything.

Simple solution and nothing corechanging or a complete rework. Just some tuning and balancing for both skills and difficulty.
Hi guys -

We posted up some thoughts about this over on the RTG channel:

http://youtu.be/A3Hm5m7S9Is

Check it out and let us know what you think about our breakdown of the dev response.

Cheers 0/

RTG Sibcoe
------------------
http://www.youtube.com/redteamgaming
http://www.twitter.com/redteamgaming
http://www.facebook.com/Sibcoe

peddle your youtube channel elsewhere.
03/02/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Technoviking
peddle your youtube channel elsewhere.

+1
03/02/2013 09:58 AMPosted by obiwan
I think WOW and Diablo 3 are two different games, like Starcraft 2 and WOW, and Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. But WOW fanboys can't write a post without speak about their game.

Actually you'd be surprised at how many of us WoW players (or former players, like myself) either don't talk about WoW, or ask that WoW mechanics be kept out of D3. The only reason anything WoW is even necessary at this point (BtA, proc coefficients) is because of how horribly wrong the itemization in the game was done and how people obtained those items (or didn't, especially with regard to the set items).

In reality, those that played Diablo 2, then WoW, and then Diablo 3 may end up having some of the best ability to provide input on this game, providing they can converse with any modicum of civility since they have played several games with varying mechanics and know what works, what doesn't work, and why, respectively.

Believe it or not, Diablo 3 could take a few hints from of all games, Guild Wars 2. Why? That game's crafting system makes WoW's look pathetic, and makes Diablo 3's look downright abysmal. There's so much customization (and lack of click click click click click CLIIIIIIIIIIIICK) going on there it isn't even funny. But hell, even the multiple item crafting technique alone, where it speeds up the craft for each successive item until it gets blindingly fast) would greatly benefit Diablo 3 (and WoW), at least for gems.

Honestly? I'd love to see Identify All work like GW2's crafting meter - You click it and it starts normal, then speeds up as you progress through unidentified items. It'd sure beat how we have to do it now.

Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts on paper for us. There are a lot of topics here that deserve attention and I want to share our views on them with all of you. Stay a while and listen.

Challenge

Challenge is certainly something that has value; players can’t feel a sense of accomplishment if everything in the game can be face rolled. I think many people would agree that, at launch, the game was too challenging. It was very difficult to progress through Inferno depending on your class or items and the challenge was a large part of the reason players felt like they were driven to the AH in the first place. When you present players with difficult content they will find a way to overcome it which usually means using only the most powerful items and abilities. The unfortunate side effect is it also drives players away from the play styles they feel are “just fun”. We have taken steps to improve this problem a number of ways; reducing the overall difficulty of Inferno, improving the potency of underused skills to allow players more diversity in their gameplay, and introducing Monster Power to allow players to set the game to a level which they feel is enjoyable. I think the right way to introduce challenge is to make it optional, for example having difficult content for the players that enjoy it without penalizing the players who prefer a more relaxed gameplay experience.

Items and AH

Items are a topic with a tremendous amount of depth and also a very sensitive subject, so I’ll do my best to provide some of our insights into the matter. Removing “bad” affixes is certainly a suggestion that surfaces from time to time, another suggestion is to group all the good affixes into a shared category so that they can’t all roll on the same item. I think on the surface those sound good but the reality of what they would do to the itemization isn’t what we want. I addressed the topic of the “bad” affixes in a prior post about items so I won’t go into too much more detail here, but I think it’s well within our ability to make those affixes compelling for some people, Pickup Radius and Witch Doctors are a good example of this. Specifically as it relates to Thorns, no one will disagree that in its current state is pretty lackluster, but it supports a play style that I’m sure we can capture with enough alterations to both the core mechanic and some supporting class abilities and passives.

As it relates to bucketing affixes so Crit Chance, Crit Damage, and Attack Speed are mutually exclusive, yeah that would add more choice to item selection, but it would be artificial. I think this issue has some underlying causes that we should look at before going to the extreme of preventing them from existing on the same item. One of the first reasons trifecta items are an issue isn’t that they are so good; it’s that they are the only thing that is good. Of course you want the only three stats that increase your character damage in a meaningful way on the same item, because there are ONLY three stats that increase your character damage in a meaningful way other than your primary stat. I don’t want to derail this by getting into why primary stats were introduced or debate whether they are good or bad. I do want to say that Diablo 3 has been through much iteration during which a vast number of approaches to stats and items were tested and in the end we felt primary stats were the right thing for Diablo 3. I think a better approach to this issue is to introduce more affixes that players are interested in, so there is a sense of tension over what the six affixes are on your “ideal gear”. When a perfect pair of gloves is “Core Stat, Vit, Res All, Crit Chance, Crit Dmg, Attack Speed” and you can’t even imagine another stat you would want instead of one of those, we have a bigger problem. Introducing more choice instead of less and giving players more ways to feel like they are customizing their character is what we want to see. If gloves also had the ability to roll +% School Damage, +Life on Hit, Skill specific affixes, plus a couple more things you want, than players may find themselves in a situation where trifecta isn’t as clearly defined anymore.

The “problem” with trifecta items can’t be discussed without also pointing out that it is only a problem because the AH makes obtaining these items so easy. On a basic level, I have no problem with items existing that players highly desire, but when it is a forgone conclusion that you will have those items then we have problems. If the auction house never existed, players wouldn’t be upset that trifecta exists, they would be upset that they haven’t been lucky enough to find their own trifecta items. To summarize, I think the right solution to this problem isn’t cutting trifecta items from the game, but rather it’s about getting to a point where you want more things than you can fit on an item.
I think your affix ideas are cool, and we have spent a lot of time lately talking about what kind of awesome effects we could put on items that we don’t currently have. I’d even say that as cool as some of these ideas are, we can go even further. We are putting a lot of effort into coming up with really awesome item ideas for future content. I’ll give one quick example of my personal favorite so far before moving on and also to give context to the direction we are moving in. Imagine a pair of Legendary boots that read “Makes you ethereal, allowing you to freely move through enemies”. Whether or not that idea makes the final cut is hard to say, but we want to really push the boundaries as much as we can, so legendary items become things that players can get really excited about.

Character Customization

Your system idea for Nephalem Power Stat is basically a roundabout way of suggesting we re-implement the Diablo 2 skill system. The old skill system was fun, back in the day, but I think it’s honestly dated in today’s landscape. People fondly remember making tons of characters and trying out different builds, and while I have a lot of those same fond memories, I also remember that usually the end result of my time investment in my “cool new character” was complete and utter disappointment.
Today the availability of web sites or posts about character builds would mostly overshadow any of that old character rerolling. You would read a post saying someone else tried the build that you had imagined would be amazing, only to find out it was awful, or you would find out it was great and build it also. The skill system today allows people the flexibility to try out things they enjoy without penalizing players who want to experiment with new ideas. The only difference is if their idea doesn’t pan out, you didn’t waste hours leveling a bad character.
Character customization is fun. People want more ways to feel different from their neighbor, and we want to help provide players with more options in this regard as well. There are lots of things that we have discussed and some ideas we have for long term system additions to the game to help in this regard. One of them which I mentioned in another post is the plan to eventually introduce a system to allow players to customize their character appearance more. Another system we haven’t talked about before is the long term plan to change the way the Paragon system works to allow it to offer more character customization in the form of actual power. The details of that system are still being worked out and players probably won’t get their hands on it for quite a while. We do agree that customization is important and we want more ways for players to both express themselves and differentiate themselves from their friends and other members of the community.

Too many items

I cover this topic in some depth in the upcoming Item Blog that community is in the process of getting ready for release next week. I will briefly say that we agree that too many items drop and we have plans to eventually reduce the rate that players see items, while also taking measures to improve the general quality of items you do see. The end result should be fewer items that are better instead of tons of items you don’t want.

Legendary and Set items

This is a topic I’ve touched on some in this thread and it is also a talking point of the upcoming Item Blog, so I’ll just say that we agree and we want Legendary items to feel game changing.

Finding your own gear

Whenever we talk about what the fantasy of Diablo is and what we want the core gameplay to be, never do we say “we want players to farm gold and go buy items off the auction house”. The AH definitely has made an impact on Diablo 3 and we talk about it constantly, but our conversations are usually in the context of “how can we get players to find their own loot instead of just buying it”. The new crafting recipes and Demonic Essences were added to provide a little bit of this gameplay but we have a lot of ideas for the long term about how we want to go about addressing this. At the end of the day, it is our intention that players are able to find their own items, because we feel the game is just more fun that way. There are several reason why it might not feel that way right now. One is the inherent randomness of our loot system. Another is the fact that the AH completely removes all friction between player trades. And another is when players DO find items they should be excited about, they are often disappointed because this items are not very good. All of these are very important and we hope to address them over time.

Skill Diversity

This is something we constantly strive to improve. Yes, there are a lot of runes and abilities that are lacking, but as you can see with our patches, we try over time to improve the balance of them regularly. In some cases runes are designed just to be fun or cool. In other cases, we try to make a large spectrum of runes competitive, but the math ends up favoring one over the others. In some cases, certain abilities or ability combinations are so potent that they overshadow almost every other option available. WW/Sprint/Battle Rage is a good example of this. There are some cool ideas here, but I don’t want to turn this post into a discussion about specifics of design. This is a problem that we can’t fix overnight, but we are confident that over time we can constantly improve the situation and hopefully the community can see that we are making efforts on this front with every patch we release.
Crafting
What crafting was meant to be and what it ended up being aren’t necessarily the same. Again there are a long list of reasons why it turned out to be a bit underwhelming for some people. Not the least of which is the existence of the AH. Why make random things when you can buy exactly what you are looking for? We are constantly exploring new ideas for how to make crafting more relevant and trying to carve out a more defined role for it within the scope of Diablo 3 itemization. We have discussed ideas such as letting players have some control over what stats will appear on the item they are crafting, using the crafting system to allow players to reroll the values of affixes an item already has, etc. This is a system that, with time, should be able to find a better place in the overall gameplay experience of Diablo.

Social Features

This is an area that has a lot of room for improvement. I personally used to talk about the fact that when I would play with my brother and two of my good friends, I constantly felt like they were a detriment to my ability to farm, which is at the core of my enjoyment of the Diablo series. Since then, we have made changes to improve the coop experience like reducing the health multiplier of additional players and removing the damage scaling when more players join the game. However, we need to do more to improve both the in and out of game experience. We want it to be easier for players to find other like-minded people to play with and this is a topic we are actively trying to improve in the near future.

Conclusion

Ok I’ve reread this thing enough times that my brain is starting to melt. The Diablo team is incredibly passionate and constantly striving to make the game we love even better. I hope this post helps clear the air about where we stand on a lot of these topics and I also hope I never find myself never feeling the need to write a post this long again lol.

TLDR – Travis has crit Gosu with Wall of Text for 1 Billlllllllion damage.

Travis, I would like to thank you for your post and I am very glad to see you guys are aware of the issues with the game in it's current incarnation and are working to fix them. I still have faith in you guys and in this game.. I can't wait for what the future holds :D
how about a item that gives you another skill slot or adds a new rare skill
Actually you'd be surprised at how many of us WoW players (or former players, like myself) either don't talk about WoW, or ask that WoW mechanics be kept out of D3. The only reason anything WoW is even necessary at this point (BtA, proc coefficients) is because of how horribly wrong the itemization in the game was done and how people obtained those items (or didn't, especially with regard to the set items).

In reality, those that played Diablo 2, then WoW, and then Diablo 3 may end up having some of the best ability to provide input on this game, providing they can converse with any modicum of civility since they have played several games with varying mechanics and know what works, what doesn't work, and why, respectively.

Believe it or not, Diablo 3 could take a few hints from of all games

Why you are not an MVP at this point is beyond me...

This is what people need to understand. Those who have experienced a wide array of games are the most valuable resources for constructive feedback. It's pretty easy to play one single game and try and analyze why it was good or bad, but when you play a plethora of games you tend to see patterns in games and understand why certain games are fun for you, and why others are not.

I do not want D3 to be a direct clone of WoW, but there are certainly pieces of the magic formula that work for WoW that can easily be adapted for D3.

Considering a lot of WoW's mechanics came from Diablo in the first place it's not really making the game more like WoW, but more like bringing Diablo back to its core foundation for success. Sure, D2 had a model that worked for it, and if we didn't have a central Auction House in D3 the current model would probably most certainly work. But D3 has already adopted some of these ideas and it's time the synergies of these systems were completed. These concepts don't work entirely on their own, they work because they work well together as a whole.

I think a lot of people are still missing that picture.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
I usually agree with you Tias but:

I think a lot of this "WoW Fanboy" derogatory comments was caused by the AP deal.

We have seen fans of WoW make comments like:
Oh this is like a mini wow hack-n-slash.
Why is this game so short?
Where is the "content"?

This makes it look like they have never played or didnt really get into D2.

Perhaps you did, but there seems to be very few who really like D2 and Wow.

Also D3 does not need Bta or anything from WoW. A diablo game never did need those things and never will need it. Not that it actually hurts the game any.

Achievements, banner sigils, dyes, dont hurt diablo but it doesnt NEED them.
Posted by theeighthark

Sure that's slightly off topic, but my point is, skill trees are so yesterday. Time to move on to bigger and better things.

03/01/2013 02:01 PMPosted by EddardStark
No, 'we" don't. You want this. You and like 20 other people on the forums (including the dude right above me) that can't move on from the past and feel that changing something you liked is always bad.

Ah, the parroting of the latest blue "not appropriate for today's landscape" (a.k.a. "because we said so!") defence of The Vision (TM) begins. *squawk!* It's so dated! *squawk!* Fun times.

The thing is, the creative options inherent in being able to actually build and customise a character were the very thing that got me (and I suspect many others) into the Diablo series and the ARPG genre in general in the first place. One might almost call them a genre convention. To be told, burning bush style, that these things were abandoned because they were not in fact fun - by the very developers of D3, no less - is quite mind boggling.

PS. I've recently been playing one or more other (or should I say actual) ARPGs were the concept of character customisation is very much alive and well. And, strangely, I can confirm that I did in fact have fun.
Ah, the parroting of the latest blue "not appropriate for today's landscape" (a.k.a. "because we said so!") defence of The Vision (TM) begins. *squawk!* It's so dated! *squawk!* Fun times.The thing is, the creative options inherent in being able to actually build and customise a character were the very thing that got me (and I suspect many others) into the Diablo series and the ARPG genre in general in the first place. One might almost call them a genre convention. To be told, burning bush style, that these things were abandoned because they were not in fact fun - by the very developers of D3, no less - is quite mind boggling.PS. I've recently been playing one or more other (or should I say actual) ARPGs were the concept of character customisation is very much alive and well. And, strangely, I can confirm that I did in fact have fun.

Amen Bro.
03/02/2013 05:32 PMPosted by Drothvader
Why you are not an MVP at this point is beyond me...

I'm not an MVP yet because I (presume) have not been nominated by anyone else. I generally dislike flat out asking for something when I believe that if I earn it, it should be on my merits alone. I've lost out on getting the "inside track" at work before because of that, but that's just how I am.

I do, on the other hand, often praise others and toot their horn when they deserve it, even if it means making myself look somewhat lesser as a result, but again, I simply give credit where it's due. And I'll take the bad when I deserve it too. You can't have good without bad you know. ;)

I usually agree with you Tias but:

I think a lot of this "WoW Fanboy" derogatory comments was caused by the AP deal.

We have seen fans of WoW make comments like:
Oh this is like a mini wow hack-n-slash.
Why is this game so short?
Where is the "content"?

This makes it look like they have never played or didnt really get into D2.

Perhaps you did, but there seems to be very few who really like D2 and Wow.

Also D3 does not need Bta or anything from WoW. A diablo game never did need those things and never will need it. Not that it actually hurts the game any.

Achievements, banner sigils, dyes, dont hurt diablo but it doesnt NEED them.

People that bash players simply for them taking part in the Annual Pass are making the same mistake as those that bash players for not having a high level Hardcore character and branding them as idiots. One doesn't need to have obtained this game through any specific means to be able to provide meaningful input. They simply need tolerance and the ability to learn both from what they've experienced, as well as their own successes and failures, and then turn that into good feedback.

I was one of the Annual Pass holders, but I did rightfully make the distiction that for many of us, especially those that took the AP offer early on and ended up not liking where WoW went with MoP, we kind of got the shaft as it were because we were locked into a year of WoW, even if we didn't play it much/at all after D3 came out. I personally had six months left of my AP "requirements" when D3 came out, so that's 6 * $15, which comes to $90, or just under what the D3:CE cost when it was available.

But I got double shafted because I had pre-ordered the D3:CE and didn't get a copy because of overbooking, and Blizzard never did right by those of us that were willing to buy the CE by not making a second batch for those of us that had legitimate pre-orders that went unfulfilled. So I lost both the CE itself, and the CE perk from the AP which would have given me credit for four of those six remaining "required" months of WoW paid time.

The Annual Pass was a booster for Blizzard, and a very bitter and harsh lesson for many of us that took it early on and got the dirty end of the stick. It didn't help any when I saw that the devs had "found" several copies of the CE (signed or otherwise) and given them out to the fansites instead of those that were in the AP and who'd had pre-orders that went unfulfilled. So to this day, I have no CE, and I'm cetainly not going to pay $150 for one because Blizzard couldn't do the right thing by their customers.

I learned my lesson. I don't view my purchase of the AP as a complete failure since I do enjoy Diablo 3 for what it is (even if it has yet to surpass "meh" stature), but I do see it as at least a partial failure due to not being able to make full use of it, even if that was caused by the company that was supposed to make those available to us specifically so we could make good on all of the AP's features.

So I have a fair bit of experience behind my purchase of the AP that I use to temper how I look at Diablo 3, but I'm also smart enough to only temper the esoteric portion of my views on the game, and leave the AP baggage at the door when it comes to dealing with the real meat and potatoes issues still plaguing this game.

I respect your reply, Travis, but some of what you say makes me sick. You didn't have fun trying out new characters in DIABLO 2? Caps for emphasis. Y'know, the game that received virtually all its replayability out of.. trying new characters/builds for different purposes, playstyles, farming areas etc? The game that's known world-wide as the greatest of all ARPGs ever created..?

Seriously man. You guys need to get in touch with your playerbase. You need to learn what makes for compelling, long-lasting gameplay in an ARPG. You need to realize that choices > no choices, even if people do, as you seem to think, exist only to copy other peoples' builds on the internet.

Until we're "allowed" to make characters our own, and I do NOT mean changing their freakin' hairstyles or dyeing uniques, I don't see how the game's going to grip more than the "instant satisfaction from great combat physics" crowd for more than a few months.

Until the item hunt returns to the game instead of the AH, I don't see how people are going to receive lasting satisfaction out of creating that amazingly geared character.

Until we're "allowed" to socialize in-game in a way that's not through PMs/channels crammed to the brim with gold-spammers, I don't see how we can foster any sort of community out of the forums, and we all know how amazing these forums are for community feel. Bring back lobbies, bring back create-your-game, bring back battle.net functionality with your shiny new graphics - not too much to ask.

Lastly, and most obviously, revamp itemization - you can't really get better than what Gosu suggested in his OP for variety. Use his ideas. We'll love you for it.
10/10
I never post on here but actually took the time to read all your post. Well written btw and hope your ideas will make it to some futur patch!

cheers