The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 50 Next
lots of good ideas... although i will admit i skimmed several portions of it :)
Absolutely INSANE post, cant get over the the sheer enormity of it. Thats some serious dedication you have there Gosu, I applaud you sir. It takes a special kind of person to take the time to complete something like this, for a game with so much potential your ideas cover so much scope its unbelievable.

Kudos to you for making a guide thats over 30,000 words. Way to make your voice heard, atleast by the D3 community :)
Amazing job Gosu, a lot of great ideas in your thread!
Epic post. Much appreciated.
You are awesome and I love you.
Look, dude, it's not that you don't have some good ideas, it's that you're talking about an entirely new game. That kind of overhaul will never happen.

*Improve legendary drop rates, make them better overall.
*Better itemization: higher frequency of good stat combos on items, tighter ranges so high-level items don't usually have absurdly low rolls.
*More content and more randomization on area layout.

This fixes 90% of the REASONABLE complaints I see. The others--

*Personal stat allocation: Character stats are nearly irrelevant compared to item stats, would need a complete overhaul to make useful.
*More build diversity, like D2!: BS. There were only a handful of "endgame viable" builds in D2. D3 is no different. You have choices here as well as there, but in both games there are only a few that actually work. Ties in with:
*Skill point allocation: Is pressing a +1 button that big of a deal to you? D3 lets gives you slight upgrades over time via new skills and new runes. This is far more variation than D2's point-by-point build, where a single misstep cost you your long-term progress and no point actually changed a skill meaningfully, it just made it stronger. Get over it.
*STORY BAD!! Yeah, it is. This is a roguelike, however. It would be nice if the story is good but I don't know why any expects it to be.
*Dungeon Bright BAD!!! Turn down the settings on your monitor. D3 doesn't employ a light system like D! or D2 because the graphics are a complex mix of 3D and cleverly designed 2D elements and a real-time lighting engine was clearly more than the developers felt they could do. Yeah, this is annoying, but everyone can stop pretending it's game-changing.
* I WANT PVP BECAUSE D2!!! Friendly Fire: On and PVP are two different things. D2 had the former. It was never designed for PVP and the people who had fun with it are just smart players who managed to create a system that was never intended. Be glad that D3 actually has a PVP test out, and you can be sure PVP will become more robust in the future, if for no reason other than it's the one thing the community won't !@#$ about.

In short: Is D3 a SEVERELY FLAWED game? You bet your sweet bottom it is. But, instead of re-inventing the horse or complaining about every little thing, maybe we could get some real fixes if we just united on the points that matter.
These points can be starting/additional points for the next expansion. I am really looking for such an overhaul of D3.
good job
Awesome points...can we get a blue post on what we can look at practically?

Thanks.
Man you are spot on. I would love to play your version of D3
I barely read anything, but what I did read was some great points, so I guess that the things I didn't read held the same high standard. Fine work! I hope that the Blizzard dev. team reads this. Cheers! +x to effort!
I think some of your ideas would be great but my overall impression is that you just want a whole new game. 90% of your ideas are unrealistic, I'm already playing this game. Your ideas amount to a completely different game.

As a DH I disagree with your proposed changes to the class, as the game is now played. Being able to faceroll the game should be earned and it should be a hard status to achieve. Instead of all of your suggested buffs Blizzard could just nerf the monsters again and achieve the same results. The game needs to be made harder not easier. Everyone should have to work hard to become a God but very few should be able to attain that status. It should not be a right, it should be a privilege.
Look, dude, it's not that you don't have some good ideas, it's that you're talking about an entirely new game. That kind of overhaul will never happen.

*Improve legendary drop rates, make them better overall.
*Better itemization: higher frequency of good stat combos on items, tighter ranges so high-level items don't usually have absurdly low rolls.
*More content and more randomization on area layout.

This fixes 90% of the REASONABLE complaints I see. The others--

*Personal stat allocation: Character stats are nearly irrelevant compared to item stats, would need a complete overhaul to make useful.
*More build diversity, like D2!: BS. There were only a handful of "endgame viable" builds in D2. D3 is no different. You have choices here as well as there, but in both games there are only a few that actually work. Ties in with:
*Skill point allocation: Is pressing a +1 button that big of a deal to you? D3 lets gives you slight upgrades over time via new skills and new runes. This is far more variation than D2's point-by-point build, where a single misstep cost you your long-term progress and no point actually changed a skill meaningfully, it just made it stronger. Get over it.
*STORY BAD!! Yeah, it is. This is a roguelike, however. It would be nice if the story is good but I don't know why any expects it to be.
*Dungeon Bright BAD!!! Turn down the settings on your monitor. D3 doesn't employ a light system like D! or D2 because the graphics are a complex mix of 3D and cleverly designed 2D elements and a real-time lighting engine was clearly more than the developers felt they could do. Yeah, this is annoying, but everyone can stop pretending it's game-changing.
* I WANT PVP BECAUSE D2!!! Friendly Fire: On and PVP are two different things. D2 had the former. It was never designed for PVP and the people who had fun with it are just smart players who managed to create a system that was never intended. Be glad that D3 actually has a PVP test out, and you can be sure PVP will become more robust in the future, if for no reason other than it's the one thing the community won't !@#$ about.

In short: Is D3 a SEVERELY FLAWED game? You bet your sweet bottom it is. But, instead of re-inventing the horse or complaining about every little thing, maybe we could get some real fixes if we just united on the points that matter.

You didn't read more than three sentences of his post, did you?
I love this OP!! I read most of it, bout 95%. I'm not saying that I think all of your ides should be implemented, majority of them should be though. The main thing i want to add is that you are not even a developer and you have come up with so many great ideas that aren't game ruining, or absurd.

My roommate and I sit around all the time complaining about many of the same things you touch on, and like you we come up with tons of ideas in a matter of minutes, and were not paid professional game developers, we just know what would be fun. Hope to God Blizz takes some of this to heart.
I've barely even chipped away at this amazing thread but I'm just book marking this so that I can have something to read before bed. Kudos to you OP. +1
Amazing post that deserves to be thoroughly read by the devs,especially enjoyed the part about legend item issues,spot on.Good job
Thanks Gosu for making my graveyard shift at work interesting :) Tons of great ideas, clearly stated the problems of the game, and added ideas of ways it could be improved in every aspect. Amazing post, let's hope the guys over at Blizzard print out a bunch of copies and pass it out to everyone to read or something.
02/28/2013 03:22 AMPosted by Japhasca
why don't you come out something that make it to the top post THEN only start criticizing?
I would have been interested in reading the rest of this if you hadn't treated it like game design fanfiction.

When you begin to detail out all these incredibly specific details of how you would change the design, no matter how great they sound on paper they will fall apart one-by-one in trial and error testing.

I understand that you want the game to be better (as we all do), but the presentation is so excessive and self indulgent. I'm not sure how any of the devs could look at this seriously. If you really want to help, cut out all of that fat. Tackle concepts in a broader manner.

D3 needs some salvation for sure, but this aint it.