Item blog is out. What are your thoughts?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 16 Next
My thoughts are here:

My feedback:

Making lower level legendaries useful - a great idea but it absolutely has to be executed right.
If a skorn can have 1.4k maximum dps with total of 300 crit damage then a tormentor must have 1.6k dps and maximum 200 crit dmg (not claiming those numbers are correct). Or it must have 30% more damage with a random element and 1.3k dmg and a socket (100 cd). Just diversity, and diversity with new affixes. I'd like to point out frostburn is an excellent example for this - you can make it HIGHLY valuable by adjusting the numbers even before new affixes have been introduced - just do the math and a little testing.

I also think that getting DIFFERENT very very different items is going to be very important. Items that support channeled skills (in a meaningful way we dont want -5mana on firebats!), that support skills with coodlown (possibly granting some bonus at the cost of attackspeed penalty), we want items that have some meaningful effect on hit for all the 3.0 aps people. We want items that let you specialize in one element or increase aoe damage or aoe area or single target damage!
We want choice!

I also think allowing "to alter" your current items can be taken even one step further: allow one affix of one legendary item to be added to a second item (huge gold sink, make it expensive!) Destroys the first item, maybe significantly scales down the power of the affix if it seems it might be overpowered. Actually no, not overpowered, such a thing doesn't exist. Scale down the power of some affixes if only one combination seems to be useful. I'd like to see a lot more diversity.

I think I'm not the only one tired of echoing fury skorn and mempo of twilight. Make it so we have 5 options for legendary items in each slot. Make it so class specific slots also have at least 3 useful items to choose from!

Other than that: please consider that weapon damage right now has SUCH a significant role that it either should roll in good enough range or then again if you roll your perfect 900 loh high crit damage socket base stat vit [insert any new affix that is really desirable] with 252.2 dps you can pay several millions to the blacksmith and he can refine it for you. What he charges increases exponentially so maybe +100 dps at 250 costs just 1m or less, but +100 dps at 900 costs 30m or more (depending also on 1h/2h).

And one more thing: don't be scared of slightly complicated affixes, nobody is going to quit if you make things worth thinking about. This game consists of two parts: smashing monsters and enjoying it - and figuring out your (own individual) master plan to ultimate awesomeness.

Also I'd like to add that simply scaling legendaries isn't enough. We have plenty of ilvl63 legendaries that are useless, anyone else wants Schaefers Hammer to be as awesome as in D2?

"Potential future Legendary item ideas include a Voodoo Mask that increases pet damage..."

Well thats nice and all to add legendary items with gimmicks, but a better solution if you want to open up pet focused builds would be the add a general affix that increase pet damage. Then you would have a WD going for a pet build hunting for a complete set of pet damage items instead of just this helm and then the same old trifectas for the rest of the slots.

This.

But it maybe should be restricted to WD only items (voodo masks, mojos and ceremonial knives) so you as for an example a Barbarian doesnt see these affixes beeing a wasted slot on items with high strength and such. Same way as Mighty Weapons shouldnt be backed with Int or Dex instead of Strenght, or Crossbows with + WD skills.

The thing's that, I play all classes so, I'm always out of gold. To add it, even though I think the A.H. was a good design instead of the old website spamming and barthering, I use it very rarely if at all. Over 90% of my items are self-found across all my chars that including, for example, the crit mempo on my DH. So all in all it is a new option and a good one for that matter.

What does BoA have to do it being a good option? Nothing. The only reason you craft now is because the new crafted items are better itemized than loot. BoA doesn't help players at all. It hurts them, and hurts them badly in the long run. It, like Gheed in D2, was designed as a gold sink.

So all in all it is a new option and a good one for that matter.

Options are great. They are what made D2 soooo good despite such minimal content.

But I'm sorry BIS potential BOA is a horrible option in a game of this type.

Crafting is a great option, and in fact there was plenty of crafting to be hand in D2. You could reroll charms to be the best in the game. You could roll orange items that could be the best in the game. Crafting had its place as a legitimate option.

But BIS potential BOA is not an option. It is a requirement. A player is absolutely foolish if they ignore BOA crafting and attempt to find equivalent items from drops. Is that really how a Diablo game should work?

Let me rephrase a part. I think the new recipe's are great. I never said anything about their being BoA's. I don't like the concept of BoA as the option of trading them, the new crafted item, should be available. In the end, for players like me that didn't like D2's trading system and aren't compeled to use the A.H. the new recipes are good. That's just it.
03/05/2013 01:11 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
No one is suggesting forcing players to trade, but the fact is you were never able to find everything you wanted on your own in D2. You didn't have to trade in D2 because what you did find was pretty awesome (unlike in D3), but if you wanted BiS or very specific items, you need to trade. D3 would be a whole lot better if it worked like this. Instead, everyone is forced to trade if they want a half-way respectable character.

Yes you are right about that. But i pretty much found ever unique and set item in the game, all by myself without trading so it was very possible. Maybe I didnt get the highest possible stat on everything, but it was pretty close many of the times. And i never traded once. Runes on the other hand was a completely different animal...

"Potential future Legendary item ideas include a Voodoo Mask that increases pet damage..."

Well thats nice and all to add legendary items with gimmicks, but a better solution if you want to open up pet focused builds would be the add a general affix that increase pet damage. Then you would have a WD going for a pet build hunting for a complete set of pet damage items instead of just this helm and then the same old trifectas for the rest of the slots.

This.

But it maybe should be restricted to WD only items (voodo masks, mojos and ceremonial knives) so you as for an example a Barbarian doesnt see these affixes beeing a wasted slot on items with high strength and such. Same way as Mighty Weapons shouldnt be backed with Int or Dex instead of Strenght, or Crossbows with + WD skills.

Well I kind touched the subject of opening up the pet damage affix to other classes with the use of legendary items in my post. More examples can be taken from Travis post with the perma Call of the Ancient and having that skill scale with pet damage and then you would have use for pet damage in specific barbarian builds. The same goes for stuff like the demon spawned by Maximus, the DHs pet and maybe turret and so on.
Everything stated in the blog should have been clear from the very beginning. Why weren't there good legendaries from the beginning? Why are they only now starting to think like... uhm, Idk, a game designer?

Ffs, this is(was) blizzard, I mean I would've done a way better job with the itemization and skill system and I'm not getting paid for that !@#$ and call myself a professional.

Too little, waaaay too late.
If Blizzard manages to find a second or third way to make items useful, especially weapons, that'd be great.

Right now all you need is dmg+ socket+ native crit dmg.

2-3 or more ways to encounter the same survivability or dps would make this game so much more interesting.

Also, don't forget 80% of useless passives.

You have the testserver, let's level things out. Balancing isn't that hard.
Well at this rate they might meet the itemization quota that Diablo 2 set in to place all those years ago hopefully by Q4 2013 (being really optimistic here); if this trend continues hopefully we can also see randomly generated maps so no two games are the same either in the expansion (really don't see this being incorporated for the current D3 game - but again, being hopeful for the future).
I'm excited. It's a good step in the right direction.

03/05/2013 11:04 AMPosted by dLux
I hope they will adress map randomness at the same time. It doesnt exist atm..

Also, this!
Few weeks ago i've created a project which is strongly connected with Travis Day's blog entry.
I was too lazy to show this, but now there is a good moment to introduce you my idea.
Please go here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8087929670
03/05/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Dragn
for example, items stats based on clvl? all of you saying "I cant wait to get lvl 63 ____ omg" need to realize, all this will do is cause a week of "everything is good again!", then by week 2, things will be right back to normal. a bow dropped? is it X with Y and Z stats? no? then its garbage.

I think you are only looking at the AH value of these items. Items in D3 have 2 values. Trade Value, and Use Value. The changes to itemization travis mentioned will bring down Trade Value but bring up Use Value. As someone who rarely uses the AH, I'm all for this change. Sorry if I don't care how much you can sell something for.
It's a huge step in the right direction. Problems have been identified and solutions presented. It may not be perfect, but I think the future is looking much brighter.
List of things to improve diablo3 ...

• All legendaries must have end game version
  • Item blog seems to confirm this.
  • Less drops ,better drops
  • Item blog seems to confirm this.
  • Items that create builds instead of just have more stats
  • Item blog seems to confirm this. (But we need a lot of them to do that job)
  • Gold AH must change and use the old d2 idea of trading
  • Solution..
    I think will be great to list a Zunimasha chest and people instead of bidding gold will offer item/s. Gold will be used for gems/recipes/tomes etc. I think gems/recipes/tomes and new crafting items should be enough to spend your gold ,this also will make trading more fun and simple(i list a zunimasha chest - first person offers me a manticore ,second person offers me Homunculus plus a voodoo mask,third person offers me a low witching hour .I accept the offer from the second person to try a zombie dogs/sacrifice build)
  • Paragon level up should be a little bit faster and offer more bonuses
  • Solution..
    Every 5 or 10 paragon levels u gain a "power point" that let u boost a skill rune or even take this rune and add it to another skill .Lets say i like to use fire skills and don't like the rain of toads but i still need the loh procs from it,i use my "power point"and add rain of toads rune to firebomb.(rain of fire/bombs)This way i still keep my skill choice and make my build unique.
    "Power points" must be either permament or cost a lot of gold to change them.
  • Ladder/expansion
  • While changes improve the game alot a ladder/expansion(reset)will make these changes even more powerfull.At some point even if ladder doesn't ever come expansion will so this change is expected.
    03/05/2013 11:08 AMPosted by CrniVuk
    how can we refocus the end game away from farming the auction house back to farming monsters? It's a complicated issue, but one we are committed to addressing.

How is it a complicated issue? Either get rid of the auction houses, or make the game not rely on the auction houses to progress. I just don't see how this is such complicated issue. Blizzard knows what is wrong with the game but is still trying to find a way to :"fix" it and then still make the auction houses viable again they don't have the best interest of the gamers in mind. they will make changes that might alleviate the problem but will never absolutely fix it. They want the players to use the RMAH, it makes them money, so the game will never be what it could be with that mentality. The auction houses should have never been involved with deciding how to make diablo 3.

Items will always be boring and lack any depth because the whole game does. the whole item system needs an overhauls, as does the stats points. When a weapon's dmg is the main contributor to the amount of a damage your character can do, the game is flawed and possibly broken. A person's character should be powerful, the gear should never be the main source of that power. But I highly doubt this will change.

Blizzard has known for a long time what is wrong with the game, but have failed to admit it or are in denial. Until now it seems. I wonder why?
    There are amny items that give you chance to do additional aoe when hittiing the enmies so ill try that build for my WW barb.
    Wonderful ideas, 100% in the right direction.