Improving co-op in 1.08

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 15 Next
I know this is out of the subject, but there are so many people waiting to be able to Dye legendary's..You are half way there cause you can take the color off and use invisible dye.. Something everyone wants to see soon
Exp radius in coop needs to be increased from 1.5 screens to at least 2.5 screens.

The amount of XP lost due to this can be huge, especially if someone in your party is not aware, and especially if people in your party are playing high mobility buiilds (WW barb, TR monk mainly).

Same should go for legendary ping sound.
Another big one = graphics off button.

A large number of people simply cannot play co-op with 4x the fireworks.
What is the point of not being able to immediately respawn where you die? Ages ago I remember some developer muttering something about some losers using it to exploit something or another and kill bosses too easily. C'mon already... the game is no fun when half the time you spend running back to the fight or you spend your time and energy coordinating with the group who is going to 'stay dead' so the others can port back to him. I'm amazed we're this far into the game and you still get stuck doing the marathon back to get to where you were.
03/06/2013 09:22 PMPosted by MusicJunky
I know this is out of the subject, but there are so many people waiting to be able to Dye legendary's..You are half way there cause you can take the color off and use invisible dye.. Something everyone wants to see soon

Halfway there? I think you may need to see an eye doctor...Making them invisible or not is mildly different from individually recoding every individual legendary for new colors.
My suggestions:

- Secret Shop that can only be access by Co-op that sells legendary items (randomly)
- Secret Map or Side Quest that can only be performed by Co-op
- Shrines that can champion one class at a time (Invulnerable barb, Lightning fast monk, The Phoenix Archon Wiz etc.)
- Better leg drop rate
- Increased density of the mobs and elites
And...
- Have all Uber/Warden bosses or four diablos pit against 4 co-op players at one time (battle royal).
So far we know what is in Patch 1.0.8

1. ID All
2. Mobs density on all Acts
3. Better Co-op
4. Easy Craft

Ok, guys keep going. Try to speak clever, so you can get more information about Patch 1.0.8 from Blue :P
03/06/2013 03:11 PMPosted by ArmorVil
The Identify All feature in 1.0.8 is an example of this.

Then I have the answered for the ID All, it will be instantly ID all items and not a queue system of 1 item per second.

For the objective:

03/06/2013 03:59 PMPosted by TwoCoins
Sometimes the trip back to town to sort through a bag of gear is enough of a hurdle to make somebody feel playing co-op isn't worth it. Nobody wants to be in the dungeon fighting monsters while your teammate is off in town identifying a full inventory.

Therefore the ID All will be instant and including the legendary item as well.

Else, the issue you trying to address in co-op again... fails.
Very occasionally I have played a public coop game where things worked. If all players deal roughly the same damage and coordinate with each other, body parts fly as fast or faster than when running solo. Needless to say, the typical leecher drags matters to a crawl. Requiring public MP game participants to have DPS at least 80 or 90% of the game creator's toon would reduce leech problem.

As pointed out by several folks above, monster density needs to increase outside the Alkaizer flow. Maintaining buff is difficult at best otherwise. Coop games exacerbate this, when several players need to crit off the same few demons.
I wouldn't go and add a benifit for extra XP in Co-OP I would just allow followers. And if you take two players who are almost identical in dps and put them together it takes a lot more time to kill E's etc in co-op. I would adjust hp on badguys to adjust for that. I think they should remain harder though to compensate for a team who say has a monk for healing a barb for shout and a wiz for time lock. Just keep the game flowing at the same pace in co-op as in sp and it would be awesome. But Don't lose the added benifit for someone with a leoric 30%exp and hf %25 xp buff.
30% GF/MF bonus for 2-person parties, respecting the base 300% cap
40% GF/MF bonus for 3-person parties, respecting the base 300% cap
50% GF/MF bonus for 4-person parties, respecting the base 300% cap

10% EXP bonus for 2-person parties
20% EXP bonus for 3-person parties
30% EXP bonus for 4-person parties

Must be within 250 Diablo yards of other players to get the buff. This takes away the Leoric/Hellfire bonuses and follower bonuses for GF/MF that you lose in multiplayer. That's a quick and dirty way of encouraging party play.

thats the only way to make diablo3 worth the name of diablo games,
Lots of good comments here! Just a few quick points

1. As a point of clarification, "dropping less loot on the ground" is not slated for 1.0.8. It's part of our general philosophy for beyond the 1.0.8 timeframe.

2. I really like the suggestions that don't make multiplayer feel mandatory. Suggestions along the lines of "I don't want to feel penalized for playing with my friends" or "provide a small bonus to overcome the logistical overhead" are in the scope of what we're thinking.

3. We totally see the appeal of having more than 4 players in a game, but it has its downsides, and the big one is that the screen becomes so crowded you can't tell what's going on. It's important that a player can discern important information from the game world and make tactical decisions based on this information. We know some of you may disagree and you'll always want 8 players, and I can respect that. This is something we've debated heavily though, and feel strongly about.

4. We've discussed the "leecher" problem. Nothing to share yet but it's definitely rough when it happens.

Thanks for all the great discussion thus far!
Forming a "chat lobby" and increasing the player limit from 4 to 8 would drastically improve the social aspect of this game. Right now it's pretty much non-existent and I even made a "joke" in a General Chat (only after people started talking 2 hours of silence) that I didn't know if Diablo 3 was a multiplayer game since everyone I know plays solo.

I think a fair compromise would be if not 8 players, try 6, then see feedback from there. The minimum per game should be at least 5 players, given that there is 5 classes in D3 (currently). 6 is a fair number and would be nice to see how it works in a PTR.

1. As a point of clarification, "dropping less loot on the ground" is not slated for 1.0.8. It's part of our general philosophy for beyond the 1.0.8 timeframe.

2. I really like the suggestions that don't make multiplayer feel mandatory. Suggestions along the lines of "I don't want to feel penalized for playing with my friends" or "provide a small bonus to overcome the logistical overhead" are in the scope of what we're thinking.

3. We totally see the appeal of having more than 4 players in a game, but it has its downsides, and the big one is that the screen becomes so crowded you can't tell what's going on. It's important that a player can discern important information from the game world and make tactical decisions based on this information. We know some of you may disagree and you'll always want 8 players, and I can respect that. This is something we've debated heavily though, and feel strongly about.

4. We've discussed the "leecher" problem. Nothing to share yet but it's definitely rough when it happens.

To be clear we have patch 1.0.8 and then a patch 1.0.9 then the expansion, correct?

What is the "beyond 1.0.8" timeframe?
I didn't say this earlier, but I think that one of the key ways to improve co-op is to improve the social aspect of the game.

I think that multiplayer suffers in Diablo 3 not necessarily because of the gameplay itself, but because the game lacks social features, such as Chat Rooms/Lobbies, custom games, etc.

If players were able to enter a Lobby and show off their heroes and achievements, and create custom games for specific purposes (trading, ubers, key farming, etc.), the game would see a huge increase in co-op.

To be clear we have patch 1.0.8 and then a patch 1.0.9 then the expansion, correct?

What is the "beyond 1.0.8" timeframe?

No. The Expansion would probably be 2.0. They've already discussed 1.1 as the big PVP patch.
... "There really is no incentive to kill ordinary content together due to the slower kill speed it usually causes"...

Since many patches ago group play results in faster kills.

When I play different people contribute different buff / debuffs for way faster kills.

What about bumping a little more to maybe 5-6? That way afks/leeches potentially have less effect? Who knows.

I guess in Diablo 2, having more players meant a slightly harder game, but better loot, so people didn't complain... in fact people love to group up to get a shot at the best loot (and to overcome bosses like Baal that might be much more tough alone). Not sure how best this can be applied to D3 ><

Edit: Or maybe just having named games will solve this all since people with like-minded goals can group up... rather than being thrust into randoms.

Making D3 like D2 was in relation to creating games would solve this problem. You guys have all seen the bnet mock ups from the diablofans forums and commented on that thread that went around about a month ago.

If we could create titled games and search through our own lists and choose what games to join leave create etc this would be less of a problem. Maybe still a problem but less of one. In D2 you could add level restrictions in D3 you could let us add dps restrictions. problem solved.

I want to create a game for whimsy farming for 40k+dps bam done better co op experience doing what I and the 3 others want to do.

Edit: I would like to hear Blizzards take on this.

Why did you guys decide to steer so far away from D2 when it comes to creating and joining games? Did you feel that allowing us to select individual quests and automatically join was the easiest way or most effective?

Why not have both?