Improving co-op in 1.08

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 15 Next
03/06/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Wyatt Cheng
Nobody wants to be in the dungeon fighting monsters while your teammate is off in town identifying a full inventory.

And no one wants to be selling in town when the group is fighting in dungeon!

So better yet... can we get these babies back?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/3435571#blog
What I would like to see in co-op is allowing us to have our followers in a pub game. Then we can show off what our follower's got too. It was fun in d2 to show off my merc's gear to my friends. Plus we wouldnt lose those added buffs our followers grant us for using them when joining a pub game.

Just a thought.

I second the ID all idea fully. Was wonderful to ID all your unid items at once, gets me back in the fight faster, huntin for more loot!

+1 to this. Also would like to equip armor on my follower :)
I was thinking about this a little bit last week, and while my idea may be a bit problematic when it comes to both coding and balancing, I think it would be well worth the effort in terms of encouraging co-op play and just having "fun" in general:

"Group" Set Items

A new class of legendaries with modest stats that aren't necessarily BIS when playing solo, but reap vast rewards when partied characters have items of the same set.
These could range from minor, "typical" bonuses like increased movement speed, resource regeneration, or additional vitality/main stat for all members of the group all the way to more interesting and game-changing abilities like auras, fire chains between group members, or maybe even granting skills from the other classes you're partied with. All of a sudden it's not only worthwhile to play co-op, but it's EXCITING and INTERESTING.
03/06/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Wyatt Cheng
Nobody wants to be in the dungeon fighting monsters while your teammate is off in town identifying a full inventory.

Conversely, no one wants to be in town identifying a full inventory while the rest of their team is off killing elites without them.

Edit: MerLock beat me to it!
Majority of players who prefer soloing to public games are because:
1. they dont wish to team with players who have lower dps than them so efficiency drops.
2. they like their followers better for legendary gears bonus and skills buffs.
3. they can pause the game anytime they want to take a break so they dont lose stacks when time runs out

Solution for:
1. Reduce the %hp increment on mobs for each 1 more party member join from 75% to 50%.

OR Set a minimum unbuffed dps requirement for each mp level, players who fail to meet the requirement cannot join public games for that mp level, they can only go to lower mp level public games or mp0 which has no requirements on dps. However, private coop games created among friends has no requirements on dps so that people can still do their uber carries.

2. Allow players to bring their own followers in coop games.

3. Tell them that they dont lose stacks if they leave game and resume later.

For brawling:
Please make a unique map which leads to nowhere but only has the brawler guy in it, you speak to him and go into the chapel map. Make the map available in public game list which allow players to click on it to join game for just brawling. However, dont remove that brawler guy from each act just in case players who wish to do brawling with each other after a long time of farming in that act.
I think any more or less well organized group farms high mp better than single player. You only get 70% monster hp increase per player. Monster damage is no longer increased per player and is in fact divided by the number of players so you take less damage while playing in group. At the same time, party buffs affect all members - freeze, different runes of voodoo, conviction, cyclone strike, globes from sacrifice, etc. So in the end mobs have less hp per player, deal less dmg per player and players deal more dmg. The only downside is that you can't have mf/gf/xp bonus from your follower, but that is compensated by clear speed.
So i think group play itself doesn't need any buff. Maybe public games should be improved in some way. For example allow custom games:

1 When i create custom public game, allow (not require) me to list the desired classes i want to play with and take that into account when automatically assigning new player to some particular public game.
2 Also allow (not require) me to disable automatic join and make some comment on each class i selected in "desired class" section. For example, so that i can select monk and write "convi/vortex".
3. Allow people to browse those custom public games, which have their currently selected character class in requirement. And to see what players are inside and what is the comment for his required class.
4. Also general comment on the particular custom game, like "farm voa/mines/alcarnus"

Something like that would allow to create balanced party even in random and possibility to make some new friends for non-public group play later. Instead of being automatically assigned to some totally random group with people who didn't even bother to select any skills that benefit group play and will later come to forums to tell that group play was bad.
With all the co-op improvements coming up recently (sounds great!), one thing I haven't seen being addressed is the "killing blow issue". Are there any concrete plans to fix Archon group play? For example, any plans to allow kills by any group member to count towards Archon duration?

Same thing goes with "life after kill", which is an affix that is extremely helpful in solo play, but it doesn't really work in group play as you only get a fraction of the killing blows. Any plans on changing that soon, too?
One of the problem in Public Game is when you join a game you don't know which area is been cleared for monster. Sometime when I join a game almost 80% of that Act is been cleared and I need to go to each area to look and see if this area is been cleared for monster or not. I hope there will come a solution for this.
Everytime u post something Wyatt Cheng post something, it's worth looking forward to .

I still a firm believer that expansion wil be a totally different league from this.
There's also a number of hurdles to co-op play beyond raw efficiency, so we'll be looking to alleviate/solve some of those hurdles too. The Identify All feature in 1.0.8 is an example of this. Sometimes the trip back to town to sort through a bag of gear is enough of a hurdle to make somebody feel playing co-op isn't worth it. Nobody wants to be in the dungeon fighting monsters while your teammate is off in town identifying a full inventory.

While I am certain this is true, there is a word for people like this, and I am not allowed to print it here.

Anyone who is so much of a rush that they can't afford a 30-second ID/sell wait shouldn't be playing this game.

Incidentally, when I play co-op with my friends, when someone has a full inventory, EVERYONE TP's to sell. It keeps downtimes synched and while one person may not have a full inventory yet, it's better to have one period of downtime every 10 minutes or so than 3 or 4 in the same time period.
Lots of good comments here! Just a few quick points

3. We totally see the appeal of having more than 4 players in a game, but it has its downsides, and the big one is that the screen becomes so crowded you can't tell what's going on. It's important that a player can discern important information from the game world and make tactical decisions based on this information. We know some of you may disagree and you'll always want 8 players, and I can respect that. This is something we've debated heavily though, and feel strongly about.

Would it be prohibitively difficult to allow players to set all friendly graphics to appear at half brightness? So we can see through things like time warp bubbles and monk bells, and tone down the flashes from explosions of Bola Shot and similar skills. Seriously, I'm surprised people don't have seisures from watching your whole screen flashing bright light.

Custom chat channels would be nice so we could talk to all our friends at once instead of messaging each one individually.
5-6 Players would be nice, 4 is too low & seems to be that way only because of consoles, which isn't fair on PC players
03/07/2013 12:17 AMPosted by Daracon
Set a minimum unbuffed dps requirement for each mp level, players who fail to meet the requirement cannot join public games for that mp level, they can only go to lower mp level public games or mp0 which has no requirements on dps. However, private coop games created among friends has no requirements on dps so that people can still do their uber carries.

+1

Harsh but unfortunately very necessary... Im almost in the habit now of profile perving on every player when i join a game so i can assess whether they can / will pull their weight.
I know you are planning on porting this game to console but seriously this is the worst multiplayer interface I have ever seen for an ARPG, even TQ was better and that was awful.

Enough with this console matchmaking !@#$, anyone that still plays your game is dedicated and probably capable of joining a server. You had your shot at making the game fun and playable for every retard and their dog but you kinda screwed that up by making the game boring, repetitive and riddled with bugs for about 3 weeks after release - plenty of time to kill the vast majority of the playerbase.

Bottom line is this game is for greedy mofos, kinda like the guys that designed it. These people do not want to slow down their progress by partying with their greedy mofo (or leech) friends. Fixing server listing + making your friends assets rather than liabilities is a good start.
5-6 Players would be nice, 4 is too low & seems to be that way only because of consoles, which isn't fair on PC players

I agree that more than 4 players would be nice, as I have more than 3 friends I play with, but I disagree on your reason as to why it's set to 4, max.

On single player I frequently lose track of my character and my pointer due to the "flare" in combat and the number of moving targets. 4-player is worse, I could only imagine it becoming unbearable with more players.

It's not an issue of some conspiracy theory about console play. There is NO INTRINSIC LIMIT to console players these days; it's very rare that a four-player game is even conducted as such on a single console versus via the internet, especially due to the way Microsoft and Sony obfuscate remote profile play. The only console in recent memory on which I have played 4 players on one display device is on the Wii, which by default isn't internet friendly anyway.

There is literally no other reason why someone could assume that a modern console somehow limits play to 4 players.
If you have at least some clue of proper team-play kill speed is way faster than solo-play because of the 75% HP nerf.

If not, you should not be additionally rewarded, of course!
first and foremost, improve server performance before considering ANYTHING, one cm wiz and one WD with zombie bears brings ping to 1k on dense mob. Ridiculous.
Is there any ideas about changing chat ? We all woud like to see something smiliar to D2 at leat at character pick screen :)
Invite a friend to play D3 and get free core stat buffs? :-) Invite 100 new players and get a crit mempo or something awesome. Now that would make the game social.