Can't afford Demonic Essences

General Discussion
1 2 3 15 Next
We all agree that Crafting is a gold sink. When you find demonic essences faster than you find the gold required to use them then you inevitably reach a point where it is impossible to afford the demonic essences you find. Dear developers, Do you feel it is working as intended when unable to use all the demonic essences you find?

Since the patch came out, I have found 1,960 demonic essences. Since they cost 75k gold per use that means I have spent 147 million gold on crafting not including materials.I have picked up 19million gold and made 32million gold from items I found that sold on the AH since the patch came out.

It would be more fun If I was allowed to use every demonic essence I find. Lowering the gold cost in order to make that happen would benefit everyone. The result would still be spending the gold that I have but be able to use more of the demonic essence I find. This solution maintains as an effective gold sink. This solution is for better health of fun in the game and has no drawbacks.
Thumbs up! It is even harder for poorer people being unable to afford using the demonic essences they find. The only possible way to catch up is to buy gold on the RMAH.
You people do realize there has to be balance between the cost of the craftable and the value of the item you can make right?

I have more than enough gold to craft items... but not enough Demonic Essences... therefore they should make the Demonic Essences drop more.

See what I did there?
You people do realize there has to be balance between the cost of the craftable and the value of the item you can make right?

You would have a valid point if the crafts could be sold to other players. The crafts have no value as they cannot be traded nor sold. It is impossible to gain back any of the gold sunk.

03/08/2013 10:04 PMPosted by Glock
I have more than enough gold to craft items... but not enough Demonic Essences... therefore they should make the Demonic Essences drop more.

Enough gold to use the demonic essences you find is the plan! It is much more fun when the bottleneck to how much you can craft is running out there and getting more demonic essences! If you want to craft more, then go get more essences! But that is not the way the game is right now. If I want to craft more, I have to go flip items or buy gold on the RMAH.
03/08/2013 10:10 PMPosted by Chillaxin
The crafts have no value as they cannot be traded nor sold.

You are wrong. If they have no value then you wouldn't want them.

03/08/2013 10:10 PMPosted by Chillaxin
Enough gold to use the demonic essences you find is the plan! It is much more fun when the bottleneck to how much you can craft is running out there and getting more demonic essences! If you want to craft more, then go get more essences! But that is not the way the game is right now. If I want to craft more, I have to go flip items or buy gold on the RMAH.

If you want to craft more then go get more gold... loot some... find some items and sell them... play the game.
Mythic health potions should heal less.

As it is, they heal so much that I only need to use one per elite pack, if that. I find them _far_ more often than this. They are accumulating in my stash as a result. In fact, my entire stash (and several potion mules) are now full up with excess mythic health potions!

If they healed less, I would need to use them more often, and I could use all of them that I found. Blizzard, please make mythic health potions heal less. Otherwise I will need to buy an extra account just to hold all these excess mythic health potions!
03/08/2013 10:11 PMPosted by Glock
You are wrong. If they have no value then you wouldn't want them.

The ability to upgrade and gain stats have value. The items created have no value. If I make a better craft that replaces my old craft then the old craft is still completely valueless.

03/08/2013 10:11 PMPosted by Glock
If you want to craft more then go get more gold... loot some... find some items and sell them... play the game.

The gold playing the game cannot keep up with the rate I find demonic essences. Do you feel it is working intended to be unable to use all the demonic essences you find?
03/08/2013 10:14 PMPosted by Dogf
As it is, they heal so much that I only need to use one per elite pack, if that. I find them _far_ more often than this. They are accumulating in my stash as a result. In fact, my entire stash (and several potion mules) are now full up with excess mythic health potions!

Do you feel that Demonic Essences were only suppose to be a short-term investment and then leave the rest on the ground like potions?

I feel demonic essences were created to want to be desired throughout the entire lifespan of the game. Having the solution as to leave ones you can't afford on the gorund proves that there is something wrong with that system.
03/08/2013 10:18 PMPosted by Chillaxin
I feel demonic essences were created to want to be desired throughout the entire lifespan of the game.

I feel the same way about potions.
Crafting should not be a stage you eventually "get a good enough upgrade" then can't afford to continue or it reaches a point where it is unwise to continue because of how costly it is. Crafting should be a system that creates desire and the ability to continue for the entire life of the game. Lowering the cost will allow players to use every demonic essence they find and therefore more enjoyable.
03/08/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Dogf
I feel the same way about potions

Potions are a different problem all together. A potion that doesn't scale with end-game health pools and has a high cooldown has no place in a game with an efficient health-globe system Potions are only useful pre-endgame. As long as there is a health-globe system, it will overshadow potions. Why didn't Dungeon Siege 3 have potions? Oh yeah, because health-globes already covered that area. It is silly to have both potions and health globes. Don't get me started on Life-on-kill. There is no way to make that affix useful because of health globes.
Dude your name is chillaxin.. why don't you chill? this is the second thread you've made about this topic. It's dead relax move on. Like old guy said just play the game. This is not an issue that can be fixed anyways. Essences are doing the job they were intended to do. I agreed with on your first thread because my income is weak. Others disagreed because theirs is vast. Your just trolling at this point.
You know, i thought about this particular idea and i can now understand where you're coming from. While we all understand crafting is a big goldsink, it is true having many spare essences may not have been the best course of action. However, making them cheaper would just amplify the alleged "OPness" of these particular recipes. Keep in mind these recipes have the potential to be BiS in several slots, so reducing the gold costs would make gearing up way easier than it is right now, not to mention the higher DE droprates are there precisely to encourage rich people to spend a crapload of gold by crafting.

TBH, i don't mind having a bunch of these things sitting around, considering they may eventually give them more uses down the road, and anyways, the main purpose was to generate a solid goldsink while providing a moderate chance for average folks to get something farming simply isn't delivering right now (something that needs to be addressed asap, btw) without getting ripped by AH flippers by resourcing to the AH. Listening to your story about spending a crapload of gold crafting means it worked just fine.
Ctrl-V:

Crit Mempo, Marquise Gems, 1300 DPS Manticore...

Yep. Crafting is too expensive.

You've already got some GG items in 4 slots, not sure what you're complaining about for the scant investment of 147 million. A pair of Vile Wards would have less dex that those shoulders at max, and would still cost a king's ransom.

I blew through a couple mil on crafting before completely bankrupting myself. Still don't think it's that expensive.

If you roll a GG item from a craft, that's just a few points short of perfect, it's best to just call it a day. How many more crafts will you waste trying to craft an item with 0.5% more CC? Or 1% more IAS? or 5 more DEX? Don't waste your gold bashing your head against the wall and complain it costs too much.
So... let me get this right.

One argument against the auction house was that buying the items simply felt like "gold farming."

Now we have Demonic Essences, which usually vastly outpace the rate at which you collect gold. You'll be caught farming for gold again, but it's okay?
Craftables are nice, but BoA sucks.
I'd much rather they create new recipes using more DE's per gold than currently existing ones, than ruin things for people who aren't well off.
The gold playing the game cannot keep up with the rate I find demonic essences. Do you feel it is working intended to be unable to use all the demonic essences you find?

You're playing the game wrong.

03/08/2013 10:16 PMPosted by Chillaxin
The ability to upgrade and gain stats have value. The items created have no value. If I make a better craft that replaces my old craft then the old craft is still completely valueless.

Value is always relative.
03/08/2013 10:37 PMPosted by Laoquinnas
I'd much rather they create new recipes using more DE's per gold than currently existing ones, than ruin things for people who aren't well off.

Allowing people to use every demonic essence they find doesn't ruin it for anyone.