Homunculus in free fall

Witch Doctor
Whether the new legendaries materialize in 1.08 or not, the prices on Humunculuses are in free fall. I sold my 19 second 56 avg damage homunculus immediately after the announcment and thought I was screwed when I only got 175m for it. Now on AH i'm seeing a 51 avg damage 19 second homunculus for 91m.

The price went from 250m preannouncement, to 175 yesterday, to 91 today. Maybe when they're 10m I'll buy it back :).
LOL, some jackass bought it and relisted for 130m. I hope he chokes on it.
Good. The prices were absurdly high as it is. Little to no liquidity and overpriced sellers was pretty much killing that market.
175 is what i bought mine for, so i guess i didn't gain but didn't loose.
hilarious that people ever spent so much gold on such an item.
03/08/2013 08:47 PMPosted by Doherty

Not really. I used to think a bears wd was a viable class/spec until I played a monk and 0 dog wd. IMO the only spec of WD that doesn't suck for PvE is 0 dog. Bears is absolute garbage compared to both 0 dog and a ww barb, cm wiz, or one of a half dozen monk specs.

Always out of mana, constantly stuck moving around (while not doing any damage mind you), your damage splitting in 3 different directions and getting stuck on every obstruction in the game. The only way to NOT have a garbage WD is to play 0 dog, I'm convinced of this. And no, I'm not some nub who just started, I know how to properly aim bears, and my gear is good -- this was my first character and I've got >1000 hours on it.

Until Bliz fixes our resource generation the class will continue to be crap, other than 0 dog which is CLUNKY, but at least usable.
@SilentMikes69 I never run out of mana with my bear build and i dont even have optimal gear for it
I just checked the AH, the prices of homunculus seem to be going up and up.
Yeah I think people are buying them low and re-selling..prices still seem about where they were pre-announcement. Looks like they waited for people (e.g. OP) to 'dump' them cheap and then decided to push it back up again.
03/08/2013 10:50 PMPosted by KingTako
@SilentMikes69 I never run out of mana with my bear build and i dont even have optimal gear for it

I knew I'd get at least one like this. Play mp10 and tell me the same. You need bears to give you enough LS to keep up with the incoming damage. If you can't spam bears 100% of the time then you are a detriment to the rest of your group which IS spamming their highest damage spells.

If we had a primary that returned mana AND was effective damage this would be a moot point, but we don't. The only way to not run out of mana using bears in a solo run is to kill so fast that GI/GF can keep up with your mana pool, and (almost) nobody has the damage to do that on mp10.

I will admit there are probably 1 or 2 people who can prove me incorrect; however, we're talking about somebody like Rakimallah who has 340k damage and is willing to pay billions of gold per piece of gear. The vast majority of us do not exist in such rarified air, nor should we have to. My wife's wizard cost about 250m TOTAL and can easily solo farm mp10, or add value to any group doing so. You can solo farm mp10, or be a contributing member of a group with similarly equipped monks and barbs, not sure about DH.

EDIT: I'll also add Rak has a very interesting build which helps with his mana. I've tried similar before but couldn't pull it off, now that my gear is a bit better I might revisit. That said, even HE has widowmakers for when he's OOM. It happens to all of us.
It seems to me you are talking cookie cutter builds and are making comparisons between the different classes "best" of the cookie cutter builds.

One of the problems you are probably having with bear builds is there is no such thing as a cookie cutter bear build. You can't buy X gear and press two keys, and run a bear build. Bear builds are all unique and are all individualized -- which is the fun of playing a bear build.

I have a Proc/Bear build and I play MP9 solo and nothing else. I do not have endless mana, nor do I have a cookie cutter build. I do not play exclusively on MP10 solo yet, because I need to lay in some more DPS for that.

Yes some zero dog players can play solo on MP10 -- but most can't. A very good zero dog player will invest as much or more in their gear as a very good bear WD.

I don't know what your point is. If you are talking cookie cutter builds -- then zero dog is the WD cookie cutter build. If you are talking MP10 capable builds, then there are many different WD builds capable of MP10 that do not have endless mana.

Not really. I used to think a bears wd was a viable class/spec until I played a monk and 0 dog wd. IMO the only spec of WD that doesn't suck for PvE is 0 dog. Bears is absolute garbage compared to both 0 dog and a ww barb, cm wiz, or one of a half dozen monk specs.

Always out of mana, constantly stuck moving around (while not doing any damage mind you), your damage splitting in 3 different directions and getting stuck on every obstruction in the game. The only way to NOT have a garbage WD is to play 0 dog, I'm convinced of this. And no, I'm not some nub who just started, I know how to properly aim bears, and my gear is good -- this was my first character and I've got >1000 hours on it.

Until Bliz fixes our resource generation the class will continue to be crap, other than 0 dog which is CLUNKY, but at least usable.

EDIT:

lol I said "you've not met my bears wd" and then two posts later you mention me. lol. I feel like an !@#
03/09/2013 05:12 AMPosted by SilentMike69

I knew I'd get at least one like this. Play mp10 and tell me the same. You need bears to give you enough LS to keep up with the incoming damage. If you can't spam bears 100% of the time then you are a detriment to the rest of your group which IS spamming their highest damage spells.

If we had a primary that returned mana AND was effective damage this would be a moot point, but we don't. The only way to not run out of mana using bears in a solo run is to kill so fast that GI/GF can keep up with your mana pool, and (almost) nobody has the damage to do that on mp10.

I will admit there are probably 1 or 2 people who can prove me incorrect; however, we're talking about somebody like Rakimallah who has 340k damage and is willing to pay billions of gold per piece of gear. The vast majority of us do not exist in such rarified air, nor should we have to. My wife's wizard cost about 250m TOTAL and can easily solo farm mp10, or add value to any group doing so. You can solo farm mp10, or be a contributing member of a group with similarly equipped monks and barbs, not sure about DH.

EDIT: I'll also add Rak has a very interesting build which helps with his mana. I've tried similar before but couldn't pull it off, now that my gear is a bit better I might revisit. That said, even HE has widowmakers for when he's OOM. It happens to all of us.

A lot of generalizations are made which are not all accurate but i'll just say that I have gear for both my bear doc (gear I normally run) and 0 dog build. Both are MP10 capable. When I run with my normal group with MP10 runs... they all prefer my bear build over my 0 dog. Burst dmg is higher with bears lining up than my 0 dog. I don't have the most elite 0 dog gear but pretty good (run with 150k paper dps with my 0 dog setup 2.3 aps.

Here's the group i usually run with...

Cyclone Monk ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Artemiss-1640/hero/8843414 )
CM Wiz ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BrownMan2-1390/hero/10065370 or http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nikki-1171/hero/3293858 )
Archon WIz ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/James1v12-1875/hero/3653270 )

I'll record a video with the 4 of us sometimes and see how fast we run it. MP10 elites are downed before my mana expires. Everyone has their favorites.
Bear build is great but yes u need to manage mana, til pl55 i am using bear build but its very hard for me to survive at mp10 either solo or group. The issue is always OOM, maybe i am not skillfull enough to handle bear build :p. MP7 is the highest level for me at that time, which is very easy to kill all mob and bosses :). My target is farming mp10 solo, so i test 0 dog build and also bought buriza + the azkarnath for follower, than until now i am enjoying farming solo at mp10 with 0 dog and i am still looking upgrade for my current gears. For group, i prefer mp8 but sometime people reject me to join the group due to my build cos them pc lag/hang/fps drop or don't like screen shake
03/10/2013 09:15 AMPosted by popo
For group, i prefer mp8 but sometime people reject me to join the group due to my build cos them pc lag/hang/fps drop or don't like screen shake

There are many people that do not enjoy playing with 0 dog because it makes it difficult to see elite affixes as well as the screen shaking. If you have a cm wiz and a 0 dog it is difficult to see anything within the explosion graphic and tornado graphics in addition to to the video card lag. But I would say that 0 dog is more gear based than skill based when you get into the upper MP levels. Bear builds do take a little finess when it comes to the higher MP levels. If you are wanting to just walk up to an enemy and hit a button until they are dead which a lot of people do... than I would recommend 0 dog.
I have a 140k dps gear set with 3k life rege, 4k armor, 600-650 AR that I used for a bears build and with FL for tanking pets. I have enough mana regen that I ca spam bears forever unless I don't manage my mana regen properly. That said I have to drop gruesome feast for vision quest. Few other builds I tried too but always end up going back to the pet tanks / bears for that set. I think I would need 180k min to properly do MP10 athough it is possible. If I was a 220+ DPS and 80k life then it might clear faster.

Now all that said I just got my 0 dogs going with 100k base DPS. Took some tweaks since I died so much more at first but now ok. It is pretty frickin fun so far and the damage compared to what I was doing is so much higher now. Pretty hard to play with my other toons right now I have to say. :)

I might build a #2 doc though to put my bears gear on so I dont have to swap builds.