Trade chat - Economy is screwed

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 13 Next
people wanted less of the AH. they got it.

and yes, items not selling are those you could craft.
It's true, this game needs an item sink. The HC economy is not nearly as screwed up as the SC economy, because there's an item sink in HC.

I can think of two solutions:

1) Ladder Resets (this is the best one IMO)

2) Make all items Ethereal (cannot be repaired). At least make the best ones ethereal, and give them 10x the durability or something. Also, remove the means for making them indestructible (remove it as an affix roll, and no Zod rune).

HC population is far smaller than SC, has less botting due to no RMAH + death capability, and Blizzards servers + 10 second log out continually send HC characters to an early grave. 4 out 5 deaths for me were due to Blizzard servers killing me. Hell, look at your list of deaths and you can obviously see why HC economy is "better".

D2 lasted years without a ladder reset. Why is that? People had a reason to make more than 1 character per class. Why is that? Itemization and skill balance. Fix itemization and better skill balance and you'll see a much improved economy. That all being fixed, blizzard could then expand the amount of characters per account.
03/10/2013 01:45 PMPosted by NNN
The problem is item's value is going down, while gold price is going down as well.

I don't see any problem.
BOA is great for us that don't have 2B for godly shoulders ect but it decimated the economy for rares. Every slot that is lessened by what is BIS ruins the economy. A great Economy brings player base...Why well reward

Time played you might find a reward and cash in and then upgrade, that upgrade is a passing of gold...more gold going around is called a economy. Now there is very little chance to make 200k on a great rare bracer, and it wont sell at that price cause people 1. crafted BIS BOA bracer, 2 use Lacunis, or 3 are using all there gold to finish #1
no bro no. no losing pieces. we DONT wan diablo 3 to turn into runescape.
The problem is more and more items are being added every day and there is no item sink for top tier gear. As more and more people get these items, the value of them decreases, but people don't seem to realize that they need to lower their prices. They think something that cost a billion gold 3 months ago should still be worth that much and the truth is, it's not.

You can't have a great economy when nothing ever disappears, because there is always going to be more supply added and demand is going to drop off. Items will just continue to get cheaper and cheaper throughout the life of the game.

The hardcore economy is always going to be quite a bit better because people are constantly losing their items, making the demand higher and the supply smaller.

Basic economics.
Talking in trade chats today, the general consensus is that the economy is royally screwed now. No one is buying and many complaining about not being able to sell.

of course there will be people coming into this thread stating the opposite but I highly suspect they are the minority and/or not being truthful. I went into like 10 different trade chats today to get a pulse of how things are selling, asking people questions.

Things are not selling, people are not buying. That is the complaint I have heard the most. Not saying it is good or bad either, just pointing out that the economy is very very stale now.

Is that a good or bad thing though? Do people want a healthy economy or do they just want it to die?

well it makes sense, there aren't enough players to buy the 100 pages of witching hours on the auction hours, or any legendary for that matter. item availability > current game population, that's what's happening.
need a ring with +5% to credit limit so I can to MP10 runs in Inferno
03/10/2013 01:54 PMPosted by Chop
A healthy economy would come as a result of a healthy player base and a solid game design. Unfortunately Diablo III is lacking some in those departments.

This is 100% true to the bone.

You can buy ik chest for 1m gold and very nice gear in every other slot for 1m because there are hundreds of thousands if not millions less players than even 6 weeks ago.

That 3 month itemization update was a nail in the coffin. Thats a 3 week announcement at most, not 3 months.

Prices have fallen to nothing since then. It's sad really .... I see no point in playing until changes are made. That post rendered everything you can do between now and then worthless aside from leveling paragon.

P.S. You can buy 1b (1,000,000,000 gold) for $50.00USD which is 4-5 hours of any job in the US or you can spend 200-400 hours farming it. This just further proves the point.

1 1/2 hours for me, get a skill besides playing PC games
My stuff lvl 20 stuff sells just fine in HC, I do a like item search make note of prices for similar item
and under cut the buy it now price by 10%, for minimum bid I take the vendor price and multiply by 3
if some poor beginner gets a decent yellow item for cheap after waiting 3 days then I am Ok with that.

What I don't under stand is why we have to pay a 15% cut to Blizzard for items sold in HC, its not like I can transfer the gold out via PP
Cann't sell?

It is the demand!

Market is fair any where. Just drop ur price, there are people buying. What u get is what it worth now. U think ur item is good enough? There are thousands better than yours.

Try HC kids. There are never enough items. Nothing can keep in HC really long NOTHING!!!

Then u will turn back to me say:""I got nothing to sell, all sold!""
This happened because Blizzard listen to crybabies and stupid 10 yr olds whining in the forums.
Cann't sell?

It is the demand!

Market is fair any where. Just drop ur price, there are people buying. What u get is what it worth now. U think ur item is good enough? There are thousands better than yours.

Try HC kids. There are never enough items. Nothing can keep in HC really long NOTHING!!!

Then u will turn back to me say:""I got nothing to sell, all sold!""

In HC you buy or find good gear then you make one little mistake like playing HC while your are tired
and all that good stuff is gone for good
03/10/2013 07:17 PMPosted by Utukka
D2 lasted years without a ladder reset. Why is that? People had a reason to make more than 1 character per class. Why is that? Itemization and skill balance. Fix itemization and better skill balance and you'll see a much improved economy. That all being fixed, blizzard could then expand the amount of characters per account.

They could still put in a ladder. Itemization has problems obviously, but a ladder is still a good idea.
The problem is nobody wants the low end items. A lot of peeps already have their decent gear already. Also, when there are hundred, if not thousands, of people trying to unload their decent gear at a price they bought them 1-2 months ago and the item doesn't sell it's because they are not listing the price correctly. Prices have dropped and people need to list their prices better if you they want their items to sell. I probably could have got more for this SOJ but it sold today....

http://s11.postimage.org/pfbvicwj7/SOJ1.jpg

Items are selling. You just need to farm for the high end items. I know finding those high end legs or rares is going to take a huge amount of time. We just need a better item sink to get rid of the inflation of decent, low-end gear. I believe Blizz has to make salvaging decent items more beneficial to make people get rid of them. Either this or a ladder where people start over again. I am not sure how else we can sink all these items.
Any economic system is based on availability and demand. The issue is that there are certain pieces of gear that are BiS for every class and those pieces are what everyone wants. Drop rates with MP and NV affect availability to the point where the rare BiS is increasingly common, but demand isn't increasing due to both the player base shrink and players leaving the market because they no longer need an item upgrade.

The only way for the economy to evolve in a state where availability has increased and demand has decreased is to either 1) adjust pricing to align with demand 2) hold inventory until demand surpasses availability or 3) introduce a new "product" - ie. new BiS gear - into the system that is in greater demand that what is available.

We can't accomplish the last option; only Blizz can, which they need to do. Immediately. The only solution for the player is to realize that those Vile Wards that would have flown out the door for 45M two months ago are only going to fetch a few million today. Or hold on to them and hope the market realigns to a more favorable market for sellers. And the option to let the AH work in your favor with a low starting bid and no buyout can be viable. Yes, you may not hit your target on some but you may be surprised what other pieces end up netting you in a fierce bidding war.

Supply of items will always increase as they are durable goods. Demand for items will always decrease as players progress further in the game. Given the player base is falling, we can say that both supply and demand for goods and gold are falling and will not have an impact but perhaps on the volume of trades. The overall trend will probably be one where supply of high tier items and demand (measured in gold) reach some sort of equilibrium.
The problem is more and more items are being added every day and there is no item sink for top tier gear. As more and more people get these items, the value of them decreases, but people don't seem to realize that they need to lower their prices. They think something that cost a billion gold 3 months ago should still be worth that much and the truth is, it's not.

You can't have a great economy when nothing ever disappears, because there is always going to be more supply added and demand is going to drop off. Items will just continue to get cheaper and cheaper throughout the life of the game.

The hardcore economy is always going to be quite a bit better because people are constantly losing their items, making the demand higher and the supply smaller.

Basic economics.

+1! This was really well written and spot on. I completely agree with your post.
Only the BIS items are holding their value steady...very few items have increased b/c of their PvP usefulness...but in general since 1.07 GaH selling has slowed down to a crawl for me and my friends in general. Nice items and relatively cheap, like witching hour, blackthorne pants, inna's pants, nice Andariel's Visage (low fire dam taken socket etc), good SoJ's, good Stormshields, etc all tough to move unless u have near perfect stats on them these days.
Personally I think the D3AH has ruined the game...

There needs to be that time where you farm for items for yourself as otherwise as farming gold and/or items to sell on the AH. Buying gold for real life cash is a big turn off. Paying for higher up gear is a turn off as well. You should be able to farm for your items, skilling pages, items to salvage for mats etc. By yourself. For yourself.

I think Blizzard looked at the bigger picture and maybe tried to bring the community into a non-community game? Diablo 3 is not that social unless playing with real life friends, by then you're all working together for gear WITHOUT the use of the AH. Grinding is a hot topic for any game... The style just needs to be spiced up, the big picture? Diablo 3 needs more content to reduce repeat grinding... It kills people's drive to keep moving forward. After a month of farming, you've seen each dungeon/cave/main story so many times it makes you sick and you just don't even play anymore...

People aren't playing. People aren't selling. People aren't buying. Plain and simple.