looking for some guidance

Witch Doctor
Hello fellow WDs

I am looking for some guidance and/or advice on where to go from here.....

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CsD-1296/hero/29530086

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/csd-1296/Zephe/29530086

I currently run a ZB build and my stats

unbuffed dps 155682

unbuffed ehp 917008

Basically where I am at is that I want to raise my dps for quicker kill time, and higher MP. However I really want to stay at a min of 100k hp if that is possible.

Some of the reasons I have gone the route i have so far is.....i had iniatlly 20k more dps, but around 80k hp, but my survivability was rough, especially on higher MP, so i dropped to 150k dps and 100k hp, and can now survive with very little issue, however when i do die, it is ussually pretty epic. I love to just tank.....run right into the mob and watch my ZB send them flying every which way....I dont like to kite often.

One thing i refuse to add is AS, it obviosly doesnt help with spamming of bears.

The ruby in my weapon does two things, helps overall dps, and actually helps survive RD's better. I noticed a big difference when i faced them with a higher CD. I skipped out on Lacuni's cause my Strongarms are better, minus the mov. speed.

With just a little planning a rarely ever run out of mana, mainly applies to mp6 and higher, i never run out below mp5. I dropped 2.5 CC on my zuni helm recent for better INT and Vit and Life%, hoping to make that back up.

For just everyday farming I usually run MP4-5 for speed and ease, MP3 group for speed and ease.
For fun i jump up to MP6-7 but have solo'd 8 as well. just gets hairy up there as i dont like dying alot.

I am hoping to sell a few things and have roughly 200 mil for upgrades, so any advice for that or for even swiching up a few passives or skills would be appreciated. I dont know if I am at that spot where upgrades are going to be extrememly expensive or not( I hope not), but would really enjoy being near that 200k mark if possible. I dont really want to switch builds, as i have built this doc from the ground up, learning as i went.....I am attached....As i do enjoy 0dog, i enjoy this better. My goal is to be able to do Ubers MP10 one day, group i can do with the exception of SK and Magda

so please critque and help me become better.

Thanks

CsD
I'm not the best person to give you advice because to me you are too defense oriented.

You only have so many character slots to use, and so much gold to spend, and to me your character is way out of balance towards defense.

To me DPS and survival need to be balanced. DPS to kill things. Sustainment/HP to stay alive.

So the first thing I would do is pop all those amethysts out of your gear (except helm) and put topazes in. This would give you 10-15K more DPS. Yes you would lose HP, but as long as it is above 50-60K, with proper sustainment, you will do fine.

Next you don't like attack speed, and you have no use for pickup radius on your mojo, so a life steal Skorn is the way to go for you. More DPS (10K plus depending on what you buy), more life sustainment when you hit things, more mana conservation. Less HP again, but still over 60K total.

So what you are headed for is something like what I have: Almost 200K DPS, 54K HP, 5.3% LS Skorn, 4300 armor, 700 resists. And I only play solo on MP9 now.

This is the difference between a defensive based character and an offensive/balanced one. If you don't agree with it, that is fine with me. As long as you understand what you could do in case you decide to change your strategy.
You only have so many character slots to use, and so much gold to spend, and to me your character is way out of balance towards defense.

To me DPS and survival need to be balanced. DPS to kill things. Sustainment/HP to stay alive.

Yep. You only have so many affix slots, and you have chosen to fill all of yours with EHP stats. I feel where you are coming from though, as I have tried to raise my EHP and DPS "equally" as well. I have far less life than you do at 70k+, and perform perfectly fine at the highest MP levels.

I think you need to worry less about a huge health pool, and more about being able to sustain your Life, as Skywalker described.

In addition, think critically about the skills you choose, and what they allow you to do:

"Is there a way that I can structure and use my skills to help me avoid damage, like through SW and Crowd-Control skills, rather than having to mitigate all of it?"

"Can I find room for skills that will allow me to down my enemies more quickly, thereby making an enormous health pool redundant?"

WDs are fortunate in that we have two skills that allow us to address both questions in one package: Hex + Jinx and Mass Confusion + Paranoia. Both are Enemy disablers coupled with debuffers. Give them a whirl and see what you think. Either together or in isolation, they help us to avoid damage altogether. This is also what our Pets are for. These types of skill choices allow us to free up more affixes for offensive stats, as we don't need to mitigate damage that we aren't taking. One harsh reality that I have had to learn, as I tend to take each and every death seriously, is that you will die sometimes. No matter your defensive stats, there is something that can come together in a perfect storm to kill you. The trick is to 1) kill before they can, 2) avoid damage completely, 3) be able to mitigate what damage is dealt until you can A) kill, or B) avoid the damage.

In short, balance and moderation are key. If you have too many EHP boosting affixes, then you are short-changing the damage you deal, which paradoxically, will lead to you taking more damage, as enemies will be alive longer to deal it. Likewise, if you are too heavy on the damage affixes, then you will dead before you can deal all that damage you are capable of. There is no "magic number" for either DPS or EHP stats, as it really depends on your style of play.
Good advice there Eddard on the Hex/Mass Confusion. I'm a hex person myself. Love that skill.

Anyway, I did want to mention that you should get 24 movement speed.

Now this will really upset you, and you probably don't want to do it because you will lose a good chunk of HP. But 24 MS is almost required when playing high MP. There are so many nasty "perfect death storms" that you need to run out of on higher MP, I would say having 24 MS is worth at least 30-40K HP in terms of survival.
Also, 24 MS is also offensive. As a bear user you want to constantly re-position to use your bears the most damaging way possible. So 24 MS is almost invaluable to a bear user.

But you will not enjoy having to use Inna's pants or Lacuni bracers as you will take a shot to HP, but it is very worth it to do so.
Now this will really upset you, and you probably don't want to do it because you will lose a good chunk of HP. But 24 MS is almost required when playing high MP. There are so many nasty "perfect death storms" that you need to run out of on higher MP. I would say having 24 MS is worth at least 30-40K HP in terms of survival.
Also, 24 MS is also offensive. As a bear user you want to constantly be in position to use your bears the most damaging way possible. So 24 MS is almost invaluable to a bear user.

But you will not enjoy having to use Inna's pants or Lacuni bracers as you will take a shot to HP, but it is very worth it to do so.

Indeed. Skywalker is essentially telling you to up your "avoidance."
03/15/2013 09:59 AMPosted by EddardStark
Indeed. Skywalker is essentially telling you to up your "avoidance."

And don't forget the offensive repositioning part. See Eddard's ZC - Zombie Bear Basics and Techniques - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222741 for more information on the best way to use bears. (Free plug. :)
03/15/2013 10:05 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
(Free plug. :)

Always appreciated <3.
Thanks a bunch guys, i agree I am very defensive. I like everything you guys have said here and am willing to try just about all of it. Putting in topaz is a quick and easy thing to do, that i can do right away. However with the movement speed.....Not quite sure if i should look at Lacuni or Innas. both have benefits and disadvatges....ill plug them into a calc to see which one could help the most.

Super excited to try some new skills, see if they help more...Love the fact that WD has that ability. Thanks so much for the advice so far, and if anymore comes in. Appreciate it and appreciate the community that we have here.
03/15/2013 09:08 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
Next you don't like attack speed, and you have no use for pickup radius on your mojo, so a life steal Skorn is the way to go for you. More DPS (10K plus depending on what you buy), more life sustainment when you hit things, more mana conservation. Less HP again, but still over 60K total.

@skywalkerfx

I actually have a nice skorn i scored a month or two ago (i think it works)
44%damage
336 int
160% CD
5.6 LS
OS

the only thing that makes me nervous about using is i lose 8.5 cc. i have kept the mojo around for my hunt for the 1 percent acheivment but defintley need to replace it with something stronger. I am going to play around a bit with the skorn and changing the gems for now, until a few things clear to upgrade to innas or Lacunis......choices, choices.
03/15/2013 11:21 AMPosted by CsD
he only thing that makes me nervous about using is i lose 8.5 cc.

Well the 8.5 cc is about equivalent to 100% CD. But you will still have to try it out to see how your damage turns out. I just thought you might like a Skorn seeing how you were describing your play style and because you would like the extra damage mitigation.

But it was just a suggestion, and as always there are many ways to get to the same place with a WD. Give some of the things we suggested a try and see how you like them.