Elite timings?

Witch Doctor
Hi guys, I'm currently experimenting with higher MPs for now, and while I can survive on MP7, elites take a rather long time to kill, something like 90 seconds or so.

WHile ehp and dps might not be a good indicator since playstyles differ, what is a comfortable and normal time for an elite kill? Average mobs of course, not terrible things like shielding occultists that hide away and refuse to die.

I know the most godly of the geared take 30-60 seconds for MP9 kill and of course im not near that, but I would really like to know what's efficient.
Who can say on high MP how long it takes to kill an elite pack. It all depends on:

1. What is the base monster.

2. What the affixes are of the monsters.

3. If the monsters have the extra health affix

4. If the pack has some kind of bugged or super nasty affix combo.

If the perfect monster crap storm hits, then it becomes a question of how long it takes them to kill you -- which can happen really fast.
Mmm yes, but what on average do you take? Something that has 2 dangerous affixes and 2 not so. Say a pack of 4 fallen hounds with electrocuted,plagued,frozen,reflect. I know you run MP9, how long do you think you would take to take it down?
Usually takes me 20-30 seconds on MP10 elites. ~5-10 seconds on MP8. If the elite is extra health then it takes longer than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0-PmZbYh-8 Here's a quick MP8 run. I think the first elite pack was at 2:15 and think they are dead by 2:19. So that's about right. I'll put together an MP10 run for some people if they want to see me solo MP10.
I think the best judge on whether you have enough smack to take down elite packs with bears on a given MP is if you can usually take down at least one member of an elite pack before your bear stream dries up.

It's a very subjective test. But its what I more or less used for climbing MPs. Also, if I wasn't being killed in say an hour of play, I knew it was time to move up.
@ofgortens: So roughly 30 seconds for non shielding and extra health ones? I'll use my soul harvest stacks to judge then.

@damian0216: Not sure if you saw the MP1 gear or the higher MP gear, not much difference, but I'm sure 90k to 110k at the expense of 20pickup that I dont use anyway when I run higher MPs should improve things

@skywalkerfx: I see. Have you tried using the mana haunt rune while climbing MPs to keep up the bear stream? I don't have the moolah to ah a -ZB cost mojo or soj yet, so I was thinking of using that to boost my mana regen to about 100-120.

On a separate note, how often do legs drop for you? Might be a fluke but in an hour where I played for about 40+ mins and spent the rest tinkering skill builds I had 3 drop. Brimstones, but still much better than what I normally get.
03/19/2013 05:07 AMPosted by DANERD
@skywalkerfx: I see. Have you tried using the mana haunt rune while climbing MPs to keep up the bear stream?

No I haven't. It's against the Proc Doctor's Union Rules to use Haunt. But I do use RoT to apply proc effects while my mana is regenning.

Matter of fact, I do not use any of the spirit skills except SW. I'm trying to maximize my poisonous side for Bad Medicine, so spirit spells are a no go. But I really like Locust Swarm/Devouring Swarm for generating mana.
Now if I had a good Locust Swarm mana engine going that would reduce my elite kill time considerably, but then someone like Orfgortens would accuse me of cheating the question, so I'll stay with my original answer.

I recently had 8 or more legs drop in an hour, and they were all total junk.
There's a Proc Doctor Union? 0o And isn't soul harvest spirit :p

Anyway, with all the damage reduction passives MP9 hits feel like what, MP7?
03/19/2013 06:19 AMPosted by DANERD
There's a Proc Doctor Union?

Of course there is! If you were a Proc Doc you wouldn't need to ask. ;)

Anyway, those damage reduction passives are courtesy of the Skorn. Skorn's being naturally good at conserving mana, requiring 40% less bear casts than an equivalent MCK knife (if one with that kind of DPS even existed) to do the same or more damage.

Of course when the one hand / two hand discussions are going on, the fact that you can free up a passive or two from mana generation are not often discussed as benefits of using a Skorn.

03/19/2013 06:19 AMPosted by DANERD
Anyway, with all the damage reduction passives MP9 hits feel like what, MP7?

Edit; Certainly they are probably worth an MP level. but even with all the DR, I can still get smoked by bugged elites pretty hard in MP10.
03/19/2013 05:32 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
Now if I had a good Locust Swarm mana engine going that would reduce my elite kill time considerably, but then someone like Orfgortens would accuse me of cheating the question, so I'll stay with my original answer.

I wouldn't term that as cheating. I would term cheating if you were to count downing an elite pack with an empowered shrine your 'standard elite kill time' :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNsGh0SzKc

Video I made the other day showing my essence farming technique on mp10. I don't have as much dps as ofgortens but I know how to micro and line my bears up very well. As you can see at the highest mp levels, different combos of affixes drastically changes the amount of time it takes to down them. I find things like extra health, shielding, arcane and frozen really increase the amount of time to kill things. Nightmarish can be annoying as hell too.

Edit: That video is just a few runs back to back that I decided to record. I didn't really look for any specific affixes to record myself fighting, but personally I think that reflect damage, arcane, plagued, vortex is the worst combo of affixes to face on mp10.
Nice video Mike! That TotD is sure nice sometimes when you are wedged into a corner and want to pick up some globes. Elite times definitely vary depending on the affixes that they have paired together.
Thanks man. I have you to thank for finding bandicam. Rakim told me about it after you told him, so I tried it and it works great. Runs so much better than FRAPS. Honestly it's night and day.