DPS vs EHP

Witch Doctor
Hello everyone, I looked around briefly but failed to find a recent thread on how these two compare to each other. I recently discovered d3up.com. After putting my character in and messing around with stuff I have a few questions on what it all means.

Is there a guide to how these two compare? As an example, if I switch all my flawless star topaz gems in my marrow for all flawless star amethyst gems I lose 6 271 DPS and gain 51 636 EHP. Now that seems like a good trade but how do I know? Is it just a case of if you find you die a lot it is wise to make the switch and the numbers be damned?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice
I was trying to stick to a ratio to a point. Something like 1:3 DPS:EHP. So I did have 200k DPS and around 600k EHP. But it really depends on the MP you want to play. For MP 1-5 you can go more DPS heavy but for anything higher I would recommend looking to get some more EHP while getting DPS up....that is where it gets expensive.
^^yeup^^ Try to aim for 1:3 ratio (dps:eHP) after MP7+. Anything under MP6 and lower I think you can get away with 1:2.

I just looked up your character and you can get a lot of eHP by replacing your helm, chest and mojo with ones that have more vit. I think your helm and chest would benefit the most.

Both your rings don't have vit on them as well.

I'm a little scared for you with 42K health.
My marow and rings are next on my list of items to replace. I think marrow first, pox second. Mojo will be a later down the line wishlist item when I have gold to spend. I'm rather broke to be honest. I do have a specific set of stats I am looking for on a mojo though and without 100m it is difficult.

Just found my new Witching Hour recently. It seems rather good. Should I try and sell it so I can buy a few items that are good rather than keep one that is great? Anyone have an idea what I could get out of it?
That's a very nice WH. I have no clue what it would go for if you were to sell it. I know for 60-80M you can get a Marrow with more Int and tons more Vit on it along with some armor. I would think you could get at least 60-80M for that WH, if not more. But I'm at work with no access to the game.
I have 1 : 1.27 dps : ehp and run MP10 without any issues at all. I would not look to any ratio of dps to ehp as a guideline by any means. It depends on your build, playstyle, life sustainment (LS / LoH), etc to determine really how much ehp you need.

Some people obsess with eHP which I think is wrong to do. You just want enough eHP to sustain yourself without dying and being able to dish out as much dps as possible. If you are dying a lot... then perhaps raise your eHP... but there is no set number to be successful at.
2 cents here. I would suggest you focus on edps rather than dps. Calculate your actual in game damage, because that's what you're actually using. Paper dps is almost useless. Ehp on the other hand is not (unless you counter with some sort of sustainability like LoH or LS or sacrifice/for the master.) Sustainability still doesn't keep you from getting one-shot by mp10 Skele-king 'rage walk'. That's the ehp... Anyway, I have 1.2 million ehp vs elites unbuffed and a measley 85k dps. However, my edps is around 880k dps vs 1 enemy. I'll put my mp10 gear on a little later. I just think the ratios are pretty and all, just don't find them very useful.
In other words, I agree with ^ofgortens. Sup man?!
03/14/2013 10:23 AMPosted by Bujitsa

Good to see you put your gear back on. Scared me for a bit.
LOL! Every once in a while, I'll try the other classes. I.....just....hate all the others. So boring. Yeah, WD isn't the best in many areas, but they're like the woman you fall in love with but KNEW she was the wrong one in the beginning, lol! I love both my WDs!!
Versus elites I'm more like 1:2 DPS to EHP. (~170k : 335k)

I assume since you're worrying about EHP you want to play high MP levels.
DPS to EHP is fine, but you have to be able to maintain life (lifesteal/LoH) which requires you to maintain mana.

DPS and EHP are a part of the picture, from a gearing perspective at least.
03/14/2013 10:26 AMPosted by ofgortens

Good to see you put your gear back on. Scared me for a bit.

Ahhhh yeah, but ofgortens is a unique case. Not many people have 280K+ Unbuffed DPS. For the regulars I think a 1:3 ratio will suffice.
It's actually quite amazing to play with ofgortens. Especially when he's being fed globes, lol. And yeah, because of his damage, his 'ratio' will be a little off.... But, you don't think my 1:14 case is odd? lol
It's actually quite amazing to play with ofgortens. Especially when he's being fed globes, lol. And yeah, because of his damage, his 'ratio' will be a little off.... But, you don't think my 1:14 case is odd? lol

My bears are happy when they are being fed constantly :P
^^ This is the reason why I came back to WDs. They are so damn diverse. My poor monk is starting to collect dust.
1:3.14 on Pi day, without buffs.
1:3.14 on Pi day, without buffs.

Lol didn't realize that was today. I also had my Calc final today. What a coincidence.