[Video] Farming MP10 CotA (TianZi method)

Monk
Edit: OUTDATED.

New and Improved (~20% better) version can be found here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8704780897

-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDVYCh2kTRs

I was actually going to upload my new exp farming video first, but decided to upload this one because my MP10 CotA farming is SO different from the 3 examples Druin had in his MP10 CotA video. It's not even just the build either, but rather the play style is completely different. It's actually both surprising and refreshing seeing difference in playstyle options when wearing such similar types of gear.

I am playing a much more standard TR/Bells spec, and do feel that it is incredibly efficient for CotA runs. Anyways, I have 10 minutes (7 runs) of MP10 CotA uploaded, showing/explaining how I do my MP10 CotA runs. I do commentate the first half of it, and the second half is just more runs vs different affixes (and getting legendary drops, lol).

I personally feel like most of my legendaries (on both Monk and DH) have come from elites, so I always kill them. I believe both legendary items in this video were off of elites. I also feel like the extra skeletons from rounding up summoners makes up for not killing all the stray trash mobs around the map in terms of trash mob kills, so spending time killing more trash mobs after the elite is dead doesn't feel like it's worth my time.

My average run time for these is generally a little under 1:30 including teleport/load screens. Trash mob kills can range from like 50 to over 100 depending on the number of summoners, and position of summoners.
-----

Did some further testing, and get roughly 52 mobs killed/minute:

Video of an 1hour of CotA at 4x original speed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I2goAMsJEw

I played pretty bad that second half and died a few times. Guess that's why I don't usually play an hour strait without a short break in the middle ~_~
-----

Just to mention some of the differences from Druin's runs:
- I always kill the elite, Druins skips most of them
- I only kill some trash mobs, Druin kills most/all the trash mobs
- I gather mobs before killing them, Druin kills mobs as he gets to them
- I split my DPS to different mobs, Druin focuses them down
- For the Bell spec Druin gets rid of TR, I always use TR
- Druin never uses serenity, I always use serenity
- Druin sounds excited when he talks, I'm more or less monotone :(
Forgot to change back to my D3 Profile ~_~

And also a link to Druin's MP10 CotA thread, just to compare how different it is:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8197762799
03/21/2013 02:16 AMPosted by TianZi

LOL

i actually also prefer the TR/WOL build for COTA farming

EDIT: i do prefer exalted soul over fleet footed though
LOL, 2-H skorns hits so slow, I doubt I can get used to it.
like like like like like!

Just to mention some of the differences from Druin's runs:
- I always kill the elite, Druins skips most of them
- I only kill some trash mobs, Druin kills most/all the trash mobs
- I gather mobs before killing them, Druin kills mobs as he gets to them
- I split my DPS to different mobs, Druin focuses them down
- For the Bell spec Druin gets rid of TR, I always use TR
- Druin never uses serenity, I always use serenity

This .... this made me laugh! :D
While watching that video there were SO many times I wished you had cyclone strike. Any way to build that in there? It is a great way to gain back a lot of health (possible replace serenity?) I think you'd also use less bells (on trash at least) due to them all being in the same spot. Anyway good video, I will try something like this out later :)
Okay, I watched the whole video and I REALLY want you to calc how many kills/hr you get!

I think that your strat is very interesting! You abuse the summoned skeles over the natural packs while I am going to natural pack kills.

With my new spec and gear (thanks Nicho!) I am able to get ~80s average full clears elite included so I will be very interested to see how that compares with a more summoner-farm oriented approach.

If you don't mind overmuch, I am going to give your style a try tonight on stream and run some numbers to see what I come up with! :D

Thanks for the video and I really like your graphics, do you make them yourself? I could really use stuff like that! <3

-Druin, the happy monk
Has anyone figured out whether the summoned skeletons give xp or not?
Seems somewhat important lol... you know... for those of us that aren't already 100 XD
Has anyone figured out whether the summoned skeletons give xp or not?
Seems somewhat important lol... you know... for those of us that aren't already 100 XD

I can't 100% confirm it, but based on the fact that they do (100% tested) drop loot, and every mob in the game that I have found that gives xp also drops loot, it stands to reason that they function in every way like a new-game summoned skele!

Maybe someone who isn't plvl100 can test and confirm? :D
They indeed drop loot and give xp. Summoners are the last thing I kill in the run as well, and i honestly think the high volume of summoners in the small space is what makes the run so good.
OK i'm completely lost here. All agree the best way to get legs is to kill elite mobs right? So it stands to reason the more elites you can kill in a certain time frame is the best way to go. So wouldn't VOTA runs be better?
03/21/2013 04:26 PMPosted by oldman54
OK i'm completely lost here. All agree the best way to get legs is to kill elite mobs right? So it stands to reason the more elites you can kill in a certain time frame is the best way to go. So wouldn't VOTA runs be better?

All do NOT agree that the best way to get legendaries is through elite killing.

Example: in the last 6 hour farming competition between the US and EU in which each participant was allowed to play separately, out of 6 people, 6 of them chose to kill trash mobs in various MP10 zones and skip the majority of elites.

The reason for this: MP10 grants 100% to "double drop" but ONLY when killing trash mobs.
Elites have the exact same chance to drop as they would in MP0 (with higher MF).

Due to exponential scaling of HP, Elites tend to be unfavorable for items/hr.

The only reason TianZi and I are even discussing killing the elite is that it is possible that through some tricky build creation and play-style adjustment, the increase in clear-time WITH the elite would be small enough to warrant killing it. The important factor is still killing the trash though.

VotA has pretty poor trash density and so it ends up being bad for items on MP10 compared to other zones (CotA/A3Keeps2)
OK well explained, i did read that trash mobs get 100% double drop in MP10 in your post, but i think i got lost when you stated that it is still a good place to farm even at lower MP lvls.

P.S. i have done a few hours on this run at MP7 and all but 1 legendary "appears" to have been dropped by the elite or his minions.
How do you guys keep the health bar filled? Life Steal equipments?
Backlash, high dex and APS scales so well. I lol'd last night when I realised I could clear all trash mobs in about 30-40 seconds in COTA using an azurewrath and a decent 1her.

Was just using rising tide to freeze everything stationary, then pump as many EPs as you can - try hitting about 8, pull them in with CS activate cyclone and watch 30++ monstors killed in one blow. I found 7 leg last night playing like this. May have just been RNG though lol.

Only had 147k dps and was clearing the skeletons so fast I had to leave the elite.
03/21/2013 12:38 PMPosted by kukabuka
While watching that video there were SO many times I wished you had cyclone strike. Any way to build that in there? It is a great way to gain back a lot of health (possible replace serenity?) I think you'd also use less bells (on trash at least) due to them all being in the same spot. Anyway good video, I will try something like this out later :)

You can technically build *anything* into the serenity slot, since it's not exactly required for the build to run. However, IMO serenity does help overall run speed since it keeps the mobility going even vs packs with affixes like frozen, molten, nightmare, and jailer. With high enough eHP, that could certainly change to some degree, but still depends on how many packs end up with CC abilities.

The other thing is since the trash mobs are being gathered up anyways, most of them end up dieing when I attack the elite with bells. So cyclone strike might help gather them a tad faster, and will let me kill off summoners faster at the end, but the overall process really wouldn't be much faster.

03/21/2013 01:43 PMPosted by Druin
Okay, I watched the whole video and I REALLY want you to calc how many kills/hr you get!

I'll try maybe 30 min or an hour strait and see the numbers I get. Probably can't do it till later at night though. I usually just make graphics and stuff in photoshop when i have free time.

03/21/2013 04:26 PMPosted by oldman54

Technically a P100 should get highest legendaries off of trash mobs on MP10.

However, I think it shifts towards elites at lower MP, since you aren't getting the double dipping MF bonus like on MP10. I used to do like ~5 minute MP0 Alkaizer runs on my DH when paragon leveling, and got quite a few legendaries from elites that way.

The other thing is trash mobs also favor paragon 100s, due to double dipping MF. So since I'm not a P100 on my Monk, and DH sucks at high MP farming, I stick to killing elites pretty much every time. Which is also why my CotA farming evolved into what it is now, where I'm basically gathering up trash mobs around the elite to make sure I kill the elite every time while still getting plenty of trash mob kills.
can someone explain to me the double drop rate of MP10? I feel as if I've missed something important...

like how? or when or why.
can someone explain to me the double drop rate of MP10? I feel as if I've missed something important...

like how? or when or why.

trash mobs have a bonus 100% chance to drop an item on MP10, so basically all your MF is also applied to that. So killing lots of trash mobs at MP10 has pretty big benefits.
I did 2 hours of testing now (a full hour, which i added to the original post, and a set of 2x 30 minutes), and they all averaged at over 50 mobs killed per minute. The elite kill time was fairly consistent always averaging around 1:30 per run/elite.
I started using your build, but I had to change some skills so I had a bit more survivability.

I also enjoy using cyclone strike and then WoL : EW. If I start to get low on spirit I cast Cyclone strike and just punch a few enemies with Fot: Quickening.