Was D2 more balanced?

Games & Technology
D3 is the only one I played in the series

Right now, there is obviously work to be done in diablo 3.

Ho was d2? Did they have one cheap overpowered class (barb) or could other classes actually compete?
In D2 theres never really any overpowered class, Theres like 3-10 ways to build each class. Throw in extra interesting builds from rune words.
Theres always a counter to a certain build, even if its a bit overpowered, it is still very beatable with with the right skills.
Diablo2 had a better sense of balance until Enigma Runeword came along.
03/27/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Chillaxin
Diablo2 had a better sense of balance until Enigma Runeword came along.

Enigma created alot of new builds. Its a overpowered armor, but since it bought so much diversity, which creates more balance
I would say the balance was much more interesting in D2, with less of boring linear hierarchy.

In D2 the bad-gear sorceress was vastly better than the bad-gear other classes but scaled poorly and was pretty bad at high item/character levels. (Especially after the others got teleport.)

The amazon was kinda junk in most ways, but was the fastest farmer, especially in the cow level.

Paladins were super expensive, but were the only class that could really solo the ubers.

Necromancer were nearly unkillable, and completely incapable of killing anything.

Barbs were barbs. They spun a lot. Generally fine at everything.
D2 did not have such high disparity in terms of DPS and EHP.

The top and mid range gear differs only by a few points here and there.

So a godly player is probably at most 50% stronger than the average player (of the same class and build) in D2.
D3 is the only one I played in the seriesRight now, there is obviously work to be done in diablo 3.Ho was d2? Did they have one cheap overpowered class (barb) or could other classes actually compete?

D2 classic was not greatly balanced. Unless you wanted to endless Chaos runs though , Lack of balance between classes was not necessary. Basically only 2 builds of 2 classes was good for chaos runs. Hammerdin pally and WW barb. Other builds even within those classes were not good for chaos runs.

D2LoD changed things greatly. What the expansion does is make balance completely unnecessary!
Oskills - skills of one class can be used by another class. That and the large diversity in things like runewords, especially Overpowered runewords like enigma and BOTD meant that many builds of ANY class could do not only baal runs but even ubers.

Certain items like 40-15 jewels and high powered blue items like JMOD meant that PVP chars would be geared very differently from PVP chars.

TL;DR Balance? what balance?
From what I hear (I wasn't a D2 player either), every third person was rolling with a sorceress.
the barbarian is not overpowered
03/27/2013 05:33 PMPosted by Reignmaker
From what I hear (I wasn't a D2 player either), every third person was rolling with a sorceress.

Correct! Especially in classic, but it wasnt because of "balance". It was because of the Teleport skill which allowed a sorc to move so quick they could skip content and get to the "important" stuff. meaning certain areas to farm could be ran very quickly. Sorc is very efficent at Farming.

In classic one could get a little bit of tele skill on say a paladin but doing so would really gimp the pally.(amulets)

LoD "engima" runeword gave just about any build of any class lots of tele skill, without gimping the char at all.
03/27/2013 05:33 PMPosted by boygeorge92
the barbarian is not overpowered

lol yes it is.

ok after looking yours may not be but majority of others are.
Paladins were super expensive, but were the only class that could really solo the ubers.

What?
My Frenzy barb solo'd Ubers just fine :)
Diablo 2 wasn't balanced either.

Each class had a build or two that got the job done but there were clear standouts.
It's really the same thing we have here.

It's pretty disappointing when you think about it because D3 has much higher potential for serious build diversity.
Diablo 2 wasn't balanced either.

Each class had a build or two that got the job done but there were clear standouts.
It's really the same thing we have here.

It's pretty disappointing when you think about it because D3 has much higher potential for serious build diversity.

Depending on the definition of balance. If considering what D3 try to achieve, then D2 is balance.
Enigma runeword is lame since almost every non sorc class use it. This is what I don't like to see, identical gears in majority of the class.

At least in D2, every single class get the chance to become severely powerful with mana pot spam, and they are balance in that sense.

In D3, each of their own classes feel that they're weak compared to other classes. Quite balanced too, lmao.
more balanced? no not really

more fun? yes x 100

only thing I hated was the hammerdin, but they didnt exist until later in D2's life and I had a lot of fun #*$%ing with them.
Balance wasn't an issue because the hardest level of difficulty still was not difficult. Even with a bad build, anything was doable with good gear.

you where saying?

necro solo ubers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNQ2fCngwtM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2aGhOB2Vk

Amazon solo ubers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im-ZbEqi1w8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQHCw6neDiw

druid solo ubers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwqgy8OINmo

assasin solo ubers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipsuSEKyo6k

but yeah. In your world maybe only the Paladin was able to beat them ...
Teleporting hammerdin bots.
Paladins were super expensive, ..................................

?? Zealer aint expensive.

You can uber with a fairly CHEAP smiter.

Sure I have built expensive pally's, but they dont have to be expensive to beat the game or to uber!
^
This

Really surprised about how many people throw around "Paladin ruled all" and "enigma for everyone!". Curious if people even played Diablo 2 and actually tried to look outside the box. Enigma was not the only runeword, and for some builds it was not even the best runeword. Like Heart of the Oak or fortitude.

The only reason why the enigma was so overused was because of the teleportation (interesting for bots and with map hacks) and because duping made runes cheap as dirt.

Seriously, without duping, like where you try to do it self found or trading geting an enigma was THAT easy. Self found even almost impossible, someone did it in 6 months playing day and night.

But, and that was the GOOD thing about Diablo 2, you had alternatives. Some which have been very close to enigma, and cheaper, and in some cases even flat out better options as far as power goes - but well, no tele. Still, you had more defence and offense with some runewords.

So no, Enigma was definitely NOT the best choice for everyone. Unless you hated walking.