Now that Blizz admitted AH is not best idea...

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next
03/30/2013 07:11 PMPosted by Otis
The poor itemization was done in order to facilitate the inclusion and usage of the AH. This is why it hurt the game. And there's your legitimate argument.
While it's rather far fetched to think that Blizzard would intentionally design the game so terribly, as in attempt to get people spend real money of the Auction House. It is still illogical to blame the AH in this scenario. The real culprit would be Blizzard.

Also, you've become quite a bit more jaded!
Jay Wilson and the Diablo 3 Development Team do not believe that the Gold Auction House was a poor addition to the game. What Jay Wilson (and some other team members, most likely) are saying is that the Real Money Auction House did not turn out as intended because many players are putting nearly everything they can onto the RMAH instead of only items that the team thought were good enough to try to sell for actual money.

Of course, this is not the fault of developers seeing as they fixed the horrible problems that are caused by sites that abused credit card information instead of, or in addition to, providing good items for games like Diablo 2 and even World of Warcraft and other MMO's and online RPG's. It is the fault of players being greedy and deciding "Well, this must be worth something!" and throwing their junk in the RMAH. If we or the team is able to figure out a way to stop people from abusing the RMAH (and the GAH a bit too) then they would not need a reason to say they would like to remove it. Perhaps they could make the RMAH function similarly to the sites all over the internet that reliably provide in-game goods then they would have less junk everyone would have to sift through. However, seeing as the market is player-driven I would not like to see Blizzard take my (awful and only) suggested approach to fixing the RMAH.

And, so...there is my Nickel of sense to add to the thread. Looking forward to seeing what some other guys come up with.
Blizzard said nothing. Jay was fired long ago....
Well, they could make all items BoA. Of course by removing the AH, you might as well make the game single player as there is no reason for me to play online except to use that service.

They could implement a gladiator dueling arena where you join games with pre-selected gear, and the ability to mix and match a range of gear, and have FFA/TDM much like a FPS. Have it so that you could earn points to unlike skills or gear...and yet keep it entirely separate from the cooperative game so you would have at least some control.

I'm sure hackers would find a way to abuse some skill or game play aspect, but no game is ever 100% safe.

I'm just thinking about how TES: Oblivion did it where you chose a raiment and you could fight against a bunch of leveled monsters. Maybe add aspects of the Final Fantasy Monster Arena where you fight all champion types to unlock various super/uber bosses.
03/30/2013 11:16 PMPosted by steakncheese
The poor itemization was done in order to facilitate the inclusion and usage of the AH. This is why it hurt the game. And there's your legitimate argument.
While it's rather far fetched to think that Blizzard would intentionally design the game so terribly, as in attempt to get people spend real money of the Auction House. It is still illogical to blame the AH in this scenario. The real culprit would be Blizzard.

Also, you've become quite a bit more jaded!

I just want the young people under the Blizzard spell to understand the truth behind the facade. I'm here to fight for honor and integrity!
I'm not on board with fragmenting the already small player base.

TBH, I think Blizzard is wrong about the AH. The AH really is not the problem. I know this because every game without an AH will end up with a user-run website that hosts a price list for items. Then the community adopts it as law and trades are conducted in online forums. Case in point: D2JSP. This is no different than an AH.

The problem here is that there are no ladder resets, so as players get richer and richer, they end up with near perfect gear and then have nothing left to upgrade. They either stop playing or continue to stockpile enormous amounts of gold.

Jay Wilson's quote about the AH hurting the game is just another example of how ignorant he is about this game. He really has no idea how to design a Diablo game.

03/29/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Bullfrog
The RMAH turned a game into a full time job for some, and made Bots so rampant I think 2/3 of the active players are really bots.

I see how incentivizing people to bot, which is hard to crack down on, could have a negative effect on gameplay and the economy.

Maybe allowing people to buy gold in the GAH and eliminating RMAH would help.

Did Blizz specifically say the RMAH hurt the game, or did they refer to the Auction House to imply either one? The GAH is a way to trade gear and pay for repairs, crafting mats, etc. It hurts no one.

I have looked at many reports and they all seem to take a different slant. I would like to see the original words out of his mouth. He stated that he did not think as many would use it as much as they do. So in his mind that hurt the game in that it was not what they were expecting.

From another viewpoint you could say it was popular. The rmah is not an issue in that it has unofficially existed for over a decade in a manner that actually hurt the game in a negative way. People trading with 3rd party vendors in a way to get accounts compromised.

I view JW statement that the ah hurt the game in the sense that they did not get the play they expected so yes he was disappointed. This is different than it hurting the game in the way of third party sales. They only need to adjust drops to make the ah less needed. I can not see it hurting the game.

The two comments above show how ignorant the people are about the issue. The ah did not spur the bots and such, they are the product of the same thing that haunted D2 for a decade. Yes some may have tried it but in all honesty the real botters do not sell through Blizzard.

I do not think this is a game killing issue. the Fox news type haters will pile on but they are what they are.
03/31/2013 08:09 AMPosted by pronebar
NERD RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously though, every single one of you paid money for d3 and all you ever do is !@#$% about ^-*! you have no control of...the way i see it you have 2 choices, either shut up and play the @#$%ing game you bought or shut up and stop playing. either way you all need to shut up.

This is exactly why this game sucks so bad, right here. This level of emotional and intellectual maturity is what JayBro and his cronies were designing the game around. I bet this guy has a CoD live stream too.

Some sort of refund or compensation would be a 3rd choice but I'm sure you'd just tell everyone to just shut the !@#$ up as JayBro would love your kind of player..
If it were at all humanly possible, I'd have to say that the stupidity level of these forums is at an all-time high. And that really is saying something.

No clue how AH can hurt this game, unless it's gear envy from people who won't use it expecting to be geared just like those who do.

Choose the game you want to play and have fun. We don't need a check box turning it off per player, that's silly...

Are you special? So, you're saying a system that forces designers to lower the droprates of every single drop in-game in order to pretend to try to keep a stable economy in a freakin' ARPG is a good thing?

You're saying a system which, unless ignored, completely and utterly removed the point and enjoyment of finding loot for yourself is a good thing..? Really? Seriously?

I'm not on board with fragmenting the already small player base.

TBH, I think Blizzard is wrong about the AH. The AH really is not the problem. I know this because every game without an AH will end up with a user-run website that hosts a price list for items. Then the community adopts it as law and trades are conducted in online forums. Case in point: D2JSP. This is no different than an AH.

Jay Wilson's quote about the AH hurting the game is just another example of how ignorant he is about this game. He really has no idea how to design a Diablo game.

Because everyone in the game used D2JSP. Because D2JSP was built into the game, shoved in your face, and droprates were designed around its existence. Because D2JSP was infinitely easier to not only buy your own upgrades, but to play and earn gear instead of D2 itself.

Wait, that's not right is it! No, not really. So stop posting nonsense. It couldn't be further from the truth.

Jay made so many stupid mistakes it's not even funny - true - don't think anyone will dispute that point. But I really do believe that his time spent as head honcho was made utterly miserable by the existence of the AHs, and I think that if he were truly allowed to speak his mind, he'd have a LOT more to say about how his hands were tied. And for that I pity the fool.
03/31/2013 08:04 AMPosted by DeadRu
I do not think this is a game killing issue. the Fox news type haters will pile on but they are what they are.

Fox "news"

LoL

Are you special? So, you're saying a system that forces designers to lower the droprates of every single drop in-game in order to pretend to try to keep a stable economy in a freakin' ARPG is a good thing?

But that's not the case. There is zero interaction between droprates and the AH. Furthermore, drop rates were bufffed several times.
Of course AH hurt D3. When you have a game that is designed as an item hunt, and you make the items instantly available, what point is there in playing the game?
Jay Wilson is not Blizz
The fix is simple. Introduce an expansion that increases levels to 80 (this could be as simple as adding one more level after inferno with no new content) and make all level 61+ items bind to account on pickup.
The Auction House forced them to lower drop rates about as much as the large number of pre-order sales, or the alignment of the planets. They simply are using it as a scapegoat to cover bad (subjective) design choices
03/31/2013 02:50 PMPosted by steakncheese
The Auction House forced them to lower drop rates about as much as the large number of pre-order sales, or the alignment of the planets. They simply are using it as a scapegoat to cover bad (subjective) design choices

Your logic behind this statement is..? If droprates were designed around small-scale trading or find-it-yourself gameplay, then the AH would, as Bashiok said, be completely tanked within weeks, and finding your own loot would be even more pointless and eye-gougingly painful than it is at present. Think about it. It doesn't take a genius to work out.

And this is just one of many reasons the AHs stink. Hence my taking the time to write short rebuttals against those select few "special" individuals who're labouring under the delusion that the AHs have no negative impact on the game whatsoever.
Well well, Jay Wilson admits it's the AH's fault? It just goes to show you how ignorant he truly is, which shouldn't come as a surprise if you look at Diablo III in it's current state. If itemization was fixed when we asked for it near patch 1.0.3, then this game would have been much better.

The reason people feel they need the AH to progress is simply because the game is unrewarding and you can't progress without it. I can vouch for that. I have played more than 1400 hours and what have I got to show for it? It's the biggest trolling game I have ever played. Why play 1400 hours then you ask? Because I thought that reaching Paragon 100 would help, which it did not.