Guide: Ruby vs Emerald for WW Builds (d3rawr)

Barbarian
Should you use a Ruby or Emerald in your mainhand weapon? Below is a step by step guide (on the request of my fellow barbs) that will help make that decision for you.

Note: It is important to note that this is for whirlwind/rltw based barbarians ONLY as tDPS applies differently for Hota/Rend barbarians. This calculation may also not fully reflect the tDPS when combined with hybrid ww builds that include skills such as Rend or other skills that are mainhand damage dependent. This site is used to reflect the additional damage gain for tornadoes dropped from Sprint:Run Like The Wind.

1) Go to the following website: d3rawr.com/d

2) Click "Profile Import" button on bottom left of screen.

3) Enter in your information

4) Select your champ once the box pops up. And import into profile 1

5) Should give you a message saying "Char successfuly imported" or something to that effect.

6) Hit OK.

7) Your gear should now be viewable on the screen. On the left there are a series of drop-down boxes. In the first box, select tDPS vs Elites. In the second box select EHP.

8) Go to the bottom of the left hand side. You should see something that says "Copy Set" Click it.

9) Copy Set from Profile 1 (you just imported) into Profile 2. Enter "1" in the first box and "2" in the second boxes that pop up respectively. This makes an exact copy of your current gear set into "Set 2"

10) Once completed, it will say "copied successfully" or something to that effect.

11) On the left now, go to the section that says "Active Skills". Click in there and select the active skills you wish to be "active" for your comparison i.e. wrath of the beserker, battle rage, etc.

Note: For fully buffed traditional build ww barbs select Wrath of the Beserker, Battle Rage, and Overpower:Killing Spree. If you mainly play solo games, you may also elect to activate your "Follower Buff" in the box below Active Skills.

12) Hit calculate. You should see your tdps values jump a bit because of your selected buffs. If you pick war cry, you will see your EHP jump a bit.

13) NOW...scroll down to your mainhand weapon. Select the "Add a ruby" function. Select the ruby you can afford and hit okay. Notice you should be doing all of these changes in "Set 2"

Note: If you are looking to compare other gear changes (i.e. weapons/armor etc) make those changes in this step. I would suggest only changing one piece of gear at a time so you can truly see what each piece is offering to your set. The exception to the rule is that If you are doing a massive stat shift (i.e. shifting IAS on more than one piece or AR on two or more pieces) then it makes sense to update all of the gear changes at once and see the combined effect.

14) Calculate.

15) You should see a difference on the left between Set 1 (original set you imported with emerald in mainhand) and Set 2 (updated set with Ruby in main hand). If the ruby has a higher tDPS vs Elite value, then go with it...if not...ruby is not for you.

There it is!

SCIENCE! :D

Gearing smart = Gearing cheap...

Good luck and have fun!
Amen!
Beautiful.

That last quote "Gearing Smart = Gearing Cheap"
Excellent :D
Awesome guide Thanks.
One thing, when running rend/WW build, I think having the extra damage range on your MH really benefits the rend attack. Definitely hits harder, and since doing that build, most things die from your rend rather than your nados, I find it helpful. I should note, I run DW rend/WW.

Thoughts?
One thing, when running rend/WW build, I think having the extra damage range on your MH really benefits the rend attack. Definitely hits harder, and since doing that build, most things die from your rend rather than your nados, I find it helpful. I should note, I run DW rend/WW.

Thoughts?

I think it depends on what where one wants to apply that 'dps/tdps' figure. To accurately account for what Pri's guide taking rend/ww into account would be very time consuming.

E.g. on an uber or kd2 legendary run it makes sense to min/max gear accordingly as the run is more consistent but when comparing to the popular reverse Arreat Core 2 paragon 100 spider run it makes little given actual game play.

Future patches (or 1.08) may include changes to existing mobs hp. The xp to hp ratio for mobs needs will probably be revised (and not to mention nerfs etc).
Added a quick note to indicate what you fellas are referring to.
Hey Pri. With the incoming console release (since I have tons of friends with crap PCs lol...) I've been thinking about playing something other than Monk. And with the direct control that version will have, I'm pretty sure the melee classes will potentially have an advantage so I've started reading up on Barb the last couple days :)

Anyways, questions:

1. By "tDPS" you mean the same as "eDPS" right? Never seen that term before XD

2. Does d3rawr have any Barb specific advantages over d3up? Cuz I've prefered that for Monk and WD.

3. Is there any case with Skorns where a ruby can outperform an emerald, or is it only important to check when DW? Kinda think I wanna give 2H a go since I've mostly DW with Monk.
1. tdps is a mathematical formula to estimate effective dps.

for effective dps, you go kill azmo or ghom and compute the actual dmg you do.
tdps factors your information and does this for you.

my effective dps is actually a little high than my tdps #'s. but its a well rounded estimation. you're not always going to fight enemies who pretty much sit still the whole fight.

2. i'm not sure but i use both sites. the numbers are close but dont always match. more barbs seem to use d3rawr so that's kinda been the standard. i do feel though that d3 up is easier to use though.

3. imo, a skorn user should not be used for a ww build. a skorn ww build will generally never come close to the dmg output of a dual wielder. with that said... a hota barb should always have an emerald in the weapon. although, i think i read if you're doing rend trash mob run, ruby might be better.
Hey guys, just a quick question. How would I subtract a ruby from a weapon to see the base DPS?
04/05/2013 08:39 AMPosted by Venruki
Hey guys, just a quick question. How would I subtract a ruby from a weapon to see the base DPS?

Take the gem out? lol..

I'm guessing you are talking about on d3rawr? Never really tried. My guess is to swap the ruby to an emerald in d3rawr then take the emerald out (basically no gem) Not sure if this can be done...lol just a theory.

2. Does d3rawr have any Barb specific advantages over d3up?

I have used both and i feel that d3rawr is a more accurate depiction for ww barbs when compared against eDPS. Also, d3rawr was specifically designed for ww barbs which also helps.
04/05/2013 06:32 AMPosted by MiSo
1. tdps is a mathematical formula to estimate effective dps.

Oh that's interesting, never heard of that before either! Where can I find this formula? I love math!

04/05/2013 10:10 AMPosted by Pri
I have used both and i feel that d3rawr is a more accurate depiction for ww barbs when compared against eDPS.

Oh, I didn't realize anybody was using the sites to calculate eDPS. I've always just done a couple Ghom MP10 runs to check it.

04/05/2013 10:10 AMPosted by Pri
Also, d3rawr was specifically designed for ww barbs which also helps.

Roger roger, I'll try to give it another chance then :)

Thanks for the help!
Ive used both and love the ruby when it comes to HOTA/Rend.
Ok so I went the ruby way because my tdps jumped substantially on the ef ,problems are:
My paper dps dropped about 15k, and ef is a pain on MH.
When I swap the weapons on the site there is no difference in DMG but I have read somewhere that the heavy hitter should be on the MH, because that is what affects the dmg of the tornadoes.
I tested it and the damage seems to be better with the ef as MH.
Any comments about it will be greatly appreciate it.
thank you
04/05/2013 01:41 PMPosted by d2JUNKIE
I have read somewhere that the heavy hitter should be on the MH, because that is what affects the dmg of the tornadoes.

Correct. The average damage range of the mainhand weapon is what determines the damage of the tornadoes.

Any comments about it will be greatly appreciate it.
thank you

Mainhanding an EF is an option that some choose not to exercise due to the fear proc. The tornadoes will actually proc fear in addition to melee swings. In the offhand, only the melee swings and the occasional ww hit will cause the fear to proc.

I personally don't like mainhanding an EF...but I am trying different set ups with my experiment barb (Butch). It really is a personal decision.
Mainhanding an EF is an option that some choose not to exercise due to the fear proc. The tornadoes will actually proc fear in addition to melee swings. In the offhand, only the melee swings and the occasional ww hit will cause the fear to proc.

I personally don't like mainhanding an EF...but I am trying different set ups with my experiment barb (Butch). It really is a personal decision.

I just did a couple runs with the ef as MH and is just terrible with that fear proc activating so often, even with the scoundrel and buriza is just too much.
So the question is will it benefit at all to leave the ruby on with the ef as OH, or just reverse to both emeralds and try to find a better MH?
I just cant find any maces or axes with a decent avarage dmg, CD,LS and LS anywhere : (
And awesome thread it help me a lot thank you
So the question is will it benefit at all to leave the ruby on with the ef as OH, or just reverse to both emeralds and try to find a better MH?
I just cant find any maces or axes with a decent avarage dmg, CD,LS and LS anywhere : (
And awesome thread it help me a lot thank you

Searching for LS on a weapon naturally gimps the average damage when searching with the other stats you mentioned. Having an item roll all of those high stats occur...but extremely rarely.

That's why many mainhand an EF. I would suggest getting an offhand LS EF and going with a high average damage main hand instead.

I
Thanks Pri I took on your advice and runs are much better now.