D3 vs. other games on the market

Games & Technology
Combat is better in D3?...... jesus christ, have we been playing the same game?

It's SLOW, you run slow, you hit slow, there is no difference if you have a dagger, a sword, a mace, whatever. No difference.

In D2 items had different specs (maces did +50% dmg to undead etc etc), you had to take them all into account.
In D3 it's HUURRR DUUURRR DPS.

But what bugs me the most it's the PACE. It's SLOW.
Your casual walk in D2 is now the running speed in D3.
Im just looking for something simple, sit down crushed a few monsters loots or not I don't care. Chat and co-op with friends. Laugh when we die to maniacs ....

Diablo 3 fits my requirement.
This is exactly my perception!

Combat is better in D3?...... jesus christ, have we been playing the same game?

It's SLOW, you run slow, you hit slow, there is no difference if you have a dagger, a sword, a mace, whatever. No difference.

In D2 items had different specs (maces did +50% dmg to undead etc etc), you had to take them all into account.
In D3 it's HUURRR DUUURRR DPS.

But what bugs me the most it's the PACE. It's SLOW.
Your casual walk in D2 is now the running speed in D3.
Although I feel as if I only got a playable demo with d3, and it has huge balance issues, sucks playing online in !@#$ laggfest I got 400 hours out of it so money well spent
Of course D3 's combat is better than poe's and Torchlights *looks at budget*

the issue with that is poe and torchlight should not be comparable to D3 as it is D3.. if ford suddenly started making a car with no budget that retailed at say 5k and it was nearly the same standard as a ferrari worth 150 k , would you say ford excelled or ferrari just made a bad car ?.

The fact of the matter is POE & TL2 are close to d3 in terms of fun and walk all over it in terms of itemisation & done so with no budget.

D3s combat is good, but come on something had to be with the budget they had. Everything else is exceptionally poor no random dungeons no end game no pvp no atmosphere no fun affixs run speed caps no skill trees gold as a currency. All the d3 team need to do is play poe and see a few items to realise they messed up so so bad with this game.
04/17/2013 03:55 PMPosted by Glock
"it was stated"...

By far the best response I have seen on the forums!!
do not compair d3 vs poe post will get deleted lol
Only thing you have to consider is the existance of "accuricy" in the recipe of PoE.
If you miss your shots, it's not game engine, your accuracy is low. Just like in D2.

Graphics don't make a good game. In the genre of ARPG, what matters is the sole satisfaction of finding useful, mind-blowing gear fall when you brutally kill a grotesque monster.

D3 is "ARPG-lite". Doesn't fit to the genre. People who are not into ARPG titles or RPG titles might start to like the genre with D3, but it's a blasphemy to the genre for ARPG or H&S fans. Simple as that.
Only time I play D3 is to check out recent patches and then get bored of it.

For myself I was really anticipating Diablo 3 but when it came out it just became disappointment after disappointment.

Tried TL2 and I didn't quite like the look of it, PoE... look was a bit bland and combat was kinda hard to enjoy, Marvel Heroes is a bit fun but the crafting level progression is quite strange and level design isn't exactly flavorful.

Anyways I'm playing Titan Quest: Immortal Throne with the mod Soul Vizier and so far it's quite enjoyable considering TQ came out in 2006/07. Enjoying my crazy summoner far more then any Witch Doctor lolz.

In a few weeks Grim Dawn (some of those who created TQ made GD and it has the TQ system) will finally come out in alpha and I'll probably forget about Diablo 3 for some time.
What exaclty is making D3 boring?
04/18/2013 07:48 PMPosted by Dragoon
What exaclty is making D3 boring?

Hmm... for me it's that their is no replay value at all. Oh sure I can farm the same thing over and over and hope that RNG not only gives me the right kind of legendary, but to also give me the correct stats.

The Diablo 3 team stated that the most important thing is the loot which is clearly what they are focusing on, though doing a terrible job at it.

Itemization is terrible because of imbalanced items, rares being 99% terrible, legendary items that are designed for failure, and that the only way to buff any skill build is with items but even that to an effect is super low.

Compare D3 to D2 or Titan's Quest when it comes to replay ability.

Diablo 2 you have a bunch of characters where they have plenty of builds that involve either the skill build or revolving around a certain item(s). Titan Quest is the same generally, except you have the option to choose 2 out of 9 classes (mastery's), so replay value is even higher.

I suppose I just expected too much from the Diablo 3 team and hoping that the franchise would take the next evolutionary step when it comes to major chances (D1-->D2 was huge).
all this about combat, D3 combat sucks and is bland, combat feel on the other hand is good, but that's just due to sound effects, and animation. as for anythign to do with combat it's tasteless and mindless and stats are boring. shame it's even called an RPG.
04/20/2013 02:15 AMPosted by KradisZ
all this about combat, D3 combat sucks and is bland, combat feel on the other hand is good, but that's just due to sound effects, and animation. as for anythign to do with combat it's tasteless and mindless and stats are boring. shame it's even called an RPG.

Yea I can agree with this. The fluidity of the combat system is great and how it looks. But the skill/rune balance and how it connects to itemization is rather bland.
In TL2 what weapon you are using actually means something unlike D3. Basically D3 screwed up on gear period. D3 combat is still fun though, just not as good as it could have been.
It was stated that [Dark Souls] was unlike (superior to) other games and will be played for years to come.

How do you think it compares?

Fixed the OP.
It's obvious that Blizzard has a top notch development team. Graphics are solid, gameplay is fluid and satisfying, and very few 'glitch' bugs. It's the management and design that fell flat. JW and crew attempted to create something they could call their own, but in the process they became myopic and missed the point of an arpg.
"nails the combat" Can you elaborate?

Is there precise timing needed to tackle different opponents?
Is one offensive skill more apt to kill a phaser vs. another?
Is a mace any different from a sword if they have the same stats and attack speed when clearly maces were once used for different reasons than swords?
Is weapon type for that matter even important as long as it has the stats and attack speed?
Is a defensive skill that allows you to stand amist a throng of opponents really a difference if everybody uses it and uses it in a spawning fashion?
Is it the speed at which you can run in and back out of a croud to lay a trap against an extremely difficult opponent and barely escape with your life?
Does your characters life even matter when you can be back in the battle in 15 seconds with little or no penalty for it?
Why do our characters even die?
How did death become annoying?
Is it the mess of graphics from your skills to where you can't even see where you are clicking or what enemy you are hitting or which enemy just crushed your character?

Please be my guest and explain why the combat is so superior . . .

Diablo 3 is vastly superior because it nails the combat.
Since the games are essentially 95% combat it puts Diablo over the competition.

This surprised me considering Torchlight 2 was almost universally better reviewed by both critics and fans as well as considered to be the true Diablo 2 sequel.
Despite all the overwhelming praise I just can't get into it. Got bored with the game within a couple hours and forced myself through about 10 hours before I just couldn't do it anymore.

Some people consider PoE to be just as good but once again the combat just fails by comparison. I intend to revisit PoE when it gets out of beta but this process could be another year away for all I know.

Diablo 3 also stands out in that it actually tries something new. It's clearly not just a copy-pasted Diablo 2 clone with a few revamped mechanics. We've seen that game done a dozen times over the years and Diablo 3 gives us something unique on the market. This makes the title inherently special even if you consider the choice to remove skill trees a complete failure.

Did you honestly just ask how they nailed the combat? Go kill some mobs in tl2 or poe then kill some !@#$ is diablo 3. It's pretty obvious they nailed it without you trying to act like some stuck up know it all because someone actually likes the game,
05/02/2013 03:48 PMPosted by CroNo
Did you honestly just ask how they nailed the combat? Go kill some mobs in tl2 or poe then kill some !@#$ is diablo 3. It's pretty obvious they nailed it without you trying to act like some stuck up know it all because someone actually likes the game,

And how did they nail it exactly? You seem to be throwing baseless obnoxiousness and dodging the person's question of whom you're quoting.

You described absolutely nothing and called them stuck up know it all when all they are doing is inquiring for details.

I just played TL2, yeah my wands feel like wands, my swords feel like swords smacking into things really hard.

D3 my sword, wand, axe, one hander etc. all emit a magic missile and that magic missile feels like a magic missile. My weapon is meaningless. Get the point?

So based on this Diablo 3 completely flopped it then? Because that seems fairly accurate based on this information. But you're defending the one who say they "nailed it". What exactly did they get so spot on? If you can't describe it then you have nothing. If it's a lame "combat feels good" give me a break, everyone complains it's slow as constipated crap leaving your !@#. Might as well play an RTS

There I gave you an example of how to describe something.
You can go and try now.