shall i go the WKL way?

Monk
WKL is getting more popular again recently. my double axe setup is doing fine now (criusing thru mp10 without much difficulty) but im thinking whether to replace my offhand with a WKL instead to boost my dps speed.

any advice will be helpful
Well, WKL is hot up long time ago. Of course it is a good weapons. But I like WKL with LS, but it is really pricey.
There is no doubt about it, WKL's are good but IMO are not BIS. There are many swords around 1100k dps out there which will give you what you want for a cheaper price then a high end WKL.
Depends whether u go for WKL with CD or LS. CD WKL are generally cheaper? I have been using WKL for a long time and it hits really hard.
If you intend to keep a dual LS setup than youre going to lose some paper sheet DPS switching to a WKL due to the fact that it cant roll LS/CD/Socket at the same time. I imagine youd go with a LS/Socket setup.

I just got back over 200K unbuffed with my dual LS ( Dagger/WKL) setup but if stat sheet DPS matters to you it might not be the best path. Damage wise though - I dont think it can be beat.

http://d3up.com/b/382258#gear
04/06/2013 05:49 AMPosted by oldman54
There is no doubt about it, WKL's are good but IMO are not BIS. There are many swords around 1100k dps out there which will give you what you want for a cheaper price then a high end WKL.

BiS has nothing to do with price. If you're using anything close to Old Reliable, then WKL IS still BiS. There's no debate, it's math.
I'm forever getting slammed by not agreeing with everyone who uses a WKL. You have to understand i had 1 and used it extensively (around 830dps, socket,LS) so you can imagine how much real world testing i gave it before i moved on. BIS maybe should read "bang for buck". Maybe they don't shine as a single weapon or something but i will stick by what i said 100%.
WKL really is getting more popular - i've been making a lot flipping these recently.
I moved from a a WKL ages ago. I felt it was holding me back, and to get what I wanted, it has and always will be way overpriced.

Its absolutely true that for the same paper DPS value, the WKL use will have a much higher eDPS value. But if you're wanting to go much higher DPS, then you'll have to drop the WKL. Only a small percentage can wield a WKL and have such high pDPS (200k+). BiS? Only till you grow out of it (i.e its useful to a certain point)
For anyone that doubts the WKL in high damage pDPS builds...

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/edzmond-1708/lulu/19714428
04/06/2013 05:49 AMPosted by oldman54

I had the following sword. 1156 dps, 67% crit dmg, 187 dex, 2.8 LS and socket. I'd call it an ok sword. Sold it last night for 2b. I changed to my current WKL (when I no longer needed 2x life steal) and I gained 14% dps (testing eDPS on Ghom etc.).

There is only 1 sword I know that can compete with an ok WKL and that is this one: http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/22041295

Gl finding one :)

To get back on track: Yes. Go WKL and never look back.

PS: you will not gain life from the bonus lightning skill dmg that WKL gives you. Beware of this.
Its absolutely true that for the same paper DPS value, the WKL use will have a much higher eDPS value. But if you're wanting to go much higher DPS, then you'll have to drop the WKL. Only a small percentage can wield a WKL and have such high pDPS (200k+). BiS? Only till you grow out of it (i.e its useful to a certain point)

This is 100% incorrect.

Using the best WKL in the world according to DP:

http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/29745230

And using his spear:

http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/29633319

Comparing the approximate (underestimating) edps figures for both him and myself comparing his spear to WKL give us these results:

spear:

him = 440k pdps ◄► 440k edps
me = 176k pdps ◄► 176k edps

wkl:

him = 411k pdps ◄► 493k
me = 164k ◄► 197k

As you can see, regardless of character quality, the best WKL outperforms a similarly insane rare weapon in the edps category. Like I said in my last post, it's not really open for debate that WKL IS still BiS if you are still using some form of build that revolves around TC and Cyclone as your damage sources. It really is just simple math.
04/06/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Cayzer
WKL really is getting more popular - i've been making a lot flipping these recently.

Yes, all the rich noobs and other class converters are making it popular >:) what oldman side has lots truths in it. Cheers!
I moved from a a WKL ages ago. I felt it was holding me back, and to get what I wanted, it has and always will be way overpriced.

That's why i think now people buy a LS WKL they pay extra gold for it's name whether than it's performance..>;)
04/06/2013 06:25 PMPosted by BONEYARD

Yes, all the rich noobs and other class converters are making it popular >:) what oldman side has lots truths in it. Cheers!

I find the best flip is the 98+CD and 2.9+LS - people tend to undervalue them and they are a quick flip.
Yes, i've noticed too, so glad i got my just before all the flippings begin... It is a good weapon but now most of them are overpriced >:'(
The biggest thing most people seem to not understand about WKL, is how to prioritize the affixes it can roll with. I've learned over the months of theorycrafting it, that it's really not what most people think. This is how I would do it:

1. lightning skills damage - most important affix, 25% is obviously ideal
2. open socket - you need this for 100-110% crit damage
3a. crit damage - you need this as close to 100% as possible
3b. life steal - you need this as close to 3% as possible
4. weapon dps - not as important as you may think, since the real value comes from #1
5. dex - since the range is so small
6. lightning damage - since WKL itself is not entirely black damage
Hi guys, I am new to monk. Will a good wkl as an oh an upgrade for me? Currently using a 1.2k dps fist weapon.
04/06/2013 07:07 PMPosted by Shopan
Hi guys, I am new to monk. Will a good wkl as an oh an upgrade for me? Currently using a 1.2k dps fist weapon.

You'd wanna check d3up and do a little math. Check this out to figure out whether you'd gain edps:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7383708483

Most likely though, you would gain EDPS from a good cd+os high lightning skills damage WKL.
I would wait on the WKL. When the itemization patch hits they'll supposedly roll ilvl 63 stats instead of their current ilvl62, the current WKLs could very well end up being obsolete.