About the Value of Gold

General Discussion
Will it keep falling perpetually like this or will something some point in time change? i.e mass ban, expansion, major patch that brings players back.
Without a proper level of gold and item sinks the value of Gold will always go down. Its why the Hardcore economy is so different.
i find the game more enjoyable when i dont think about gold for things other than repairs, crafting

items (hopefully itemization patch helps this)
Gold will continue to fall in price as long as there remains some profit (however small) for the botters.
None of these people are correct. The the way the loot system works in Diablo, item value depreciation is built into the system. As the item economy is populated with more and more items, the value of items depreciate. Therefore, even if you have the best possibly item rolls in the game... your items will still decrease in value over time.

So, depreciation is nothing new in a Diablo game. What I think you might be referring to OP is the rate of depreciation... and I don't see why the current rate is of concern. Until an item that has a 0.00001% chance of dropping is worthless, what's the issue. If a good item drops, you are going to be happy with the gold you get, no? You will be able to by other items, no? Gold value is relative. If you find items that people want, you will be able to trade said items. So until it becomes harder to find items... than the items are worth (do people want/need them). And usually an expansion happens before this point is ever reached.

Items will continue to depreciate in value until new items are added. If you don't believe me just look back to every patch in this game or Diablo 2 concerning item buffs/nerfs.
Blizzard should just let the price of gold on the RMAH be determined by the market instead of artificially holding it up by creating a floor. Let the value of gold find its own value. This way at least it would price 3rd parties out of the market.

This way the RMAH would be competitive (and safer) compared to buying gold from a 3rd party.
3rd parties would lose business because I'm sure most people would rather buy from the RMAH than 3rd parties. If there is less demand for 3rd parties, botters would be in less demand unless they wanted to sell on the RMAH, which I don't think so because of the 15% tax (well it depends on how much the 3rd parties pay them for their gold). If the price of gold crashes, well maybe botters will stop, eventually if gold becomes worthless who is going to bother farming it? Then the price might finally normalise.
Blizzard should just let the price of gold on the RMAH be determined by the market instead of artificially holding it up by creating a floor. Let the value of gold find its own value. This way at least it would price 3rd parties out of the market.

This way the RMAH would be competitive (and safer) compared to buying gold from a 3rd party.
3rd parties would lose business because I'm sure most people would rather buy from the RMAH than 3rd parties. If there is less demand for 3rd parties, botters would be in less demand unless they wanted to sell on the RMAH, which I don't think so because of the 15% tax (well it depends on how much the 3rd parties pay them for their gold). If the price of gold crashes, well maybe botters will stop, eventually if gold becomes worthless who is going to bother farming it? Then the price might finally normalise.

If you didn't have to wait 5 days to get your gold I bet more people would use the RMAH for gold. I bet if you ask most people that use third party sites... they will tell you its because some dude logs on and gives you your gold in a matter of minutes. Ask most people about the RMAH and they will tell you it takes days. The fact that gold websites have gold for a fifth or sixth the price is just a bonus.

Gold won't be worthless as long as there are players who want to buy items. As long as players are trading items for gold... it doesn't matter what the gold is worth or how much of it is in circulation. The gold isn't the issue. The issue is the "items" that bots farm. If a bot or quadboxer can farm items at a faster rate than a single person... that is a problem. This means you need more people buying items than farming items. So if the botters and quadboxers get to high, there would be an issue. But as long as item prices don't bottom out it's safe to say that isn't the issue.

Again... how much gold you trade for an item is relative... unless you are trying to invest in gold or something. If you find an item... trade that item for gold... buy an item you do want. Stop piling gold is the worst thing you can do. Items are what have value. Stock pile decent items. When you need something you can always trade. If people really think there is an issue with bots and farmers and gold... then just don't stock pile gold.
04/17/2013 08:46 PMPosted by Glock
Items will continue to depreciate in value until new items are added.

By this a assume you mean new = stronger items because nobody will spend time or $ on weaker or equivalent items.

However...
If stronger (better default rolls) items apear only the most efficient farmers (and the ocasional 1 in a mill lucky person) would be able to get them. They would keep the items and sell their current items, at lower price. If they do sell the stronger item, it would be for more than the current best item... 10 bill perhaps....

All the cases above however do not actually remove gold from the system. Gold merely transfer hands while the total gold in the system steadily increase over time as per normal farming + selling.

So while i can see the economy gaining some temporary life and excitement, i fail to see how this will increase the value of gold. At best it will slow the depreciation of gold for a while.

Perhaps if you provided some information on how you think new items will help? Also i fail to see how you can use D2 as an example because D2 doesn't have RMAH. Every patch in D3 hasn't helped the value of gold as well, so i dont know what you want us to look at.
Items will continue to depreciate in value until new items are added.

By this a assume you mean new = stronger items because nobody will spend time or $ on weaker or equivalent items.

However...
If stronger (better default rolls) items apear only the most efficient farmers (and the ocasional 1 in a mill lucky person) would be able to get them. They would keep the items and sell their current items, at lower price. If they do sell the stronger item, it would be for more than the current best item... 10 bill perhaps....

All the cases above however do not actually remove gold from the system. Gold merely transfer hands while the total gold in the system steadily increase over time as per normal farming + selling.

So while i can see the economy gaining some temporary life and excitement, i fail to see how this will increase the value of gold. At best it will slow the depreciation of gold for a while.

Perhaps if you provided some information on how you think new items will help? Also i fail to see how you can use D2 as an example because D2 doesn't have RMAH. Every patch in D3 hasn't helped the value of gold as well, so i dont know what you want us to look at.

Are you sure people wouldn't want items that are equivalent in power? That is exactly what the itemization changes are all about. Options. There are plenty people who would want to collect the various items sets for the various builds for various classes.

And I never implied anything would "help the value of gold". By new items I mean an expansion comes out and all new items come out. New levels... new acts...new maps and monsters... new skills and builds...etc. There have been posts by Blues that they would likely raise level cap with an expansion. That's new items. The economy is cleaned. The race starts over. Fresh economy.

There is no reason to control the "value" of gold in this game. It's completely relative. Go back and read my post, I think I may have edited some more in after you read it.

D2 economy worked the on the exact same core principles. It is a random loot system. Items are tradeable. The only difference is gold is a currency in Diablo 3. But... it's basically no different than any other duped item currency from Diablo 2.
04/17/2013 09:09 PMPosted by Glock
Are you sure people wouldn't want items that are equivalent in power? That is exactly what the itemization changes are all about. Options. There are plenty people who would want to collect the various items sets for the various builds for various classes.

I dont think they will be options in this game. They wont deviate from the single efficient build per character and two stat approach (DPS / EHP). Did the current PTR change anything? (not rhetorical or sarcastic) People just want a one hand with 2k damage, and a 2 hand with 3k damage with the right stats, you cant deny that.

And I never implied anything would "help the value of gold".

I see why your argument doesn't make sense then. You said people here were wrong i assumed you were talking about the same thing. The topic of the discussion is the Value of Gold. You were talking about what you want in the expansion. Nevermind.

New levels... new acts...new maps and monsters... new skills and builds...etc.
Glock, You are right about the delay in buying gold from the RMAH. That's probably a big influence as to why people use 3rd parties. Blizzard take note :P

Nothing else you said I would disagree with, however I think you miss my point. You said it yourself, there is no need to control the value of gold. So remove the floor, let it find it's own value, even if that means it's monetary value (real money) falls through the floor. Eventually it will come back and find a happy medium. Might piss alot of people off because the real money value of their items will go down, but is it already through depreciation as the pool of 'perfect/near perfect' items grows bigger.

Btw, there are many (I hope) more people playing than bots so that sort of counters what you said about bots farming items. There would have to be more bots farming than players playing for that argument to work. But surely they don't help the economy.