Demon Hunter eDPS (effective DPS) Issue

Demon Hunter
Prev 1 5 6 7 95 Next
I have all classes at 60 with varying paragon levels but I play DH and WD the most. I can definitely say that Barbs are the strongest (dont play the Wiz often and just started the TR Monk style)

Having played DH the most since launch I can say it is the weakest class of all five right now. Feel free to look at my DH gear and you'll see it's not complete because some are being borrowed by the Monk/Barb. My barb now farms the fastest on higher MP running on borrowed and cheap AH purchases; much less spent on him than either DH or WD.

I'd be happy with a buff for DH but I dont see it happening anytime soon as blizz doesn't seem to understand how to balance the class as history dictates. They either buff it too much (3 sec SS + old NT) or nerf too much to the point of uselessness (RIP NT and ToC).

It's funny reading all the non-DH mains come to DH threads and try to preach how to play the class when they barely have any mileage on it. I'd love to see a video of how to "properly" play DH if in fact we have all been doing it wrong. Only one person has attempted and it failed massively.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568987779

Having played DH and WD the most, its definitely way behind the other three right now.
Bump! DH Buff, seriously. Having dex as a main stat is ehhhh. OH great I get to dodge like never while other stats have constant usefulness.

I didn't spend billions I can emphasize as much as I want. In fact since my last posts I was farming MP10 and picked up 2 legendaries in that time frame.

video or it didn't happen.
Did you die 15 times before finally killing the pack?
Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Logical fallacy. I didn't die at all. In fact I didn't kill any elite packs. Don't you know that in MP10, you don't kill elites? You just kill trash for legendaries. LMAO

But remember that in order to do this, I do have to take damage from elites running away from them.....

I don't make it a habit of making videos to prove myself anymore, there's no point to it. You'll just commit another logical fallacy and move the goal posts to further dismiss my claims. You can keep rotting in your ignorance, that's fine with me.

video or it didn't happen.
Did you die 15 times before finally killing the pack?
Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Logical fallacy. I didn't die at all. In fact I didn't kill any elite packs. Don't you know that in MP10, you don't kill elites? You just kill trash for legendaries. LMAO

But remember that in order to do this, I do have to take damage from elites running away from them.....

I don't make it a habit of making videos to prove myself anymore, there's no point to it. You'll just commit another logical fallacy and move the goal posts to further dismiss my claims. You can keep rotting in your ignorance, that's fine with me.

lol. so you flee from elites and you kill the easy trash mobs.
Pro player we have right here!

lol. so you flee from elites and you kill the easy trash mobs.
Pro player we have right here!

Yep, that's what we do. And yes, pro. All the pros are doing it actually. Because it is more effective than anything else. All you do is kill trash mobs at mp10 @max MF (in which I clearly have) and if you are efficient enough, you can farm up to 4 legendaries per hour. That is a better output than anybody else can achieve on a lower MP.

So yes, pro indeed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/195nev/barb_in_mp10_7_legendaries_per_hour/
I thought it was common knowledge by now that DH's eDPS needs major revision... I don't really care about total class balance but there should be a certain standard that all classes can meet. Currently, the issue is that the DH kind of has "the worst of both worlds", low natural eHP (forces most builds to use Gloom) and low eDPS. Even out highest DPS skill, Spike Trap - EB, has a 1.2s delay, making the true effectiveness of the skill deteriorate when without other crowd controlling party members like a CM Wizard. Bola Shot also comes with delay.

I think DH eDPS is not so bad when with the right party (Cyclone Strike Monk and CM Wiz come to mind). In fact, in my party runs, the DH's skillset works fairly well. The problem is mostly when DH's farm solo where we lack the crowd control to effectively use our burst damage skills with much effectiveness. Because our skill's damage modifiers are quite low we are forced to try and maximize DPS to keep up. This makes gearing considerably more expensive than other classes since we are innately more squishy as well. Couple that with a slowly regenerating resource pool and you can see why the DH is underpowered at the moment.

For myself and a lot of others, I continue to play my DH because its fun. I realize its not the best class, I could probably invest my gear into a monk and clear mobs much faster but I think there is some fundamental appeal to a "ranged" class that uses bows and crossbows and such. Even in D2 my favorite class was the Amazon... Even in LOTR my favorite character is Legolas (LOL). For me, theres something about this class that appeals to me, I just hope that Blizzard has atleast recognized that the DH needs some TLC.

Anyways, blabbered on, hope some of you got my point.
+1 OP. The damage just does not scale with the other classes.
I love my DH but my monk is in a class by itself when it comes to efficiency. Better than my Barb....
So OP the fact that DH can damage from the other side of the map isn't to take on the balance?

Or how to compare tomatoes and potatoes.

Monk have to go on close range do deal damage, DH is a ranged class.

So a melee class should do more damaged than a class that by design should be the dps class (in my opinion at least).
So OP the fact that DH can damage from the other side of the map isn't to take on the balance?

Shhh They don't want facts. Just buffs. They don't care that monks have to stand in all kinds of ground crap to do damage. Then usually have to leave a room or area for a serenity cool down or die. Often times when leaving a room in the keeps I see a demon hunter outside the room continuing to fire while my monk basically stands there and can't do anything. Or monks have to waste a ton of time chasing down kiting elites to do any damage. No, its video after video of people hitting a punching bag that barely moves.

And all this "my DPS sheet is higher then that monk" and he farms faster then me. News Flash! Its easier to get higher DPS with a Demon Hunter. 300k unbuffed gets you to number 585 or so on the DH charts for the Americas. 300k unbuffed for a monk gets you all the way up to 130.

I'm not saying DH's don't need a damage buff but some of these obvious BS arguments undermind their valid points.
Nice video! DH needs a buff for sure. It is very easy, in 2 ways, either is good.

1 resource regeneration, double the hatred cap to 250, or double the self regeneration rate from 3 to 6.

2 buff the damage for hatred spending skills. Just like how the wave of the light got tripled damage%.
I would actually change some skill if I had more hatred to spend.....

Shhh They don't want facts. Just buffs. They don't care that monks have to stand in all kinds of ground crap to do damage. Then usually have to leave a room or area for a serenity cool down or die. Often times when leaving a room in the keeps I see a demon hunter outside the room continuing to fire while my monk basically stands there and can't do anything. Or monks have to waste a ton of time chasing down kiting elites to do any damage. No, its video after video of people hitting a punching bag that barely moves.

And all this "my DPS sheet is higher then that monk" and he farms faster then me. News Flash! Its easier to get higher DPS with a Demon Hunter. 300k unbuffed gets you to number 585 or so on the DH charts for the Americas. 300k unbuffed for a monk gets you all the way up to 130.

I'm not saying DH's don't need a damage buff but some of these obvious BS arguments undermind their valid points.

DJ, if you read my post, I did mention that the disparity between class eHP improves with the proper team. The reality is, although we can attack from a distance, in higher MP's we are just as well in melee range as the rest of the classes. If we try to distance ourselves, all we end up doing is running around trying to avoid damage while other classes are busy dealing damage. The argument that 'we are a ranged class' is pretty moot when you run solo MP10 where thing don't get one shot and are chasing you down. Generally the way the game is designed, we are forced to stand our ground and deliver damage just as much as the rest of the classes. If not, we would just be like headless chickens and no one would want to party with us.

A well geared Monk should barely need to kite, I rarely need to kite with my demon hunter either . Range in MP8-10 is barely an advantage, what are the most popular high end builds for each class? Facetank builds because they are generally the most effective. The people making these comments have 30K+ elite kills have experimented with multiple builds and tried to find effective combinations that will at least shorten the gap and to no avail. As far as this being only against single targets, members of the DH community have done KD2 and VoTa comparison with Monks and Barbs with similarly geared players and the discrepancy is still there. The facts are you do not have the experience with the DH class that a lot of the posters on here have and that's why you can't see some of the points we are trying to make.

Well the issue here is that, 300k unbuff monk will out dps a 300k unbuff DH. Paper Dps is meaningless. WDs come to me and tell me "my 200k WD will out dps a 400k DH, DHs are a joke". So yes, you are right, 300k dps is doesn't get you high in rankings, but who cares? The topic here is effective DPS, and that's what matters in this game. Barbs only need 200k unbuff dps to faceroll MP 10 with WoTB, CM wizs only needs about 200k unbuff DPS to kill elites on mp 10 in 10 seconds. I want to kill elites on high MPs for Demonic Essences, because frankly, thats pretty much the only thing i do in this game now, so i am not going to kill scorpions on MP 10 and pray for a leg. Yes, killing efficiency matters a lot, as i want to gather as many essences as i could in the limited time frame i have to play this game. I can re-roll another class, which I did, but why can't I be efficient playing a DH? Why must I roll another class?
This is very true. With similar gear, my DH has like 60k more dps (110 to 175, or something like that) and my monk definitely kills faster. Wave of Light, Cyclone and Fists of Thunder just do crazy damage.
DH needs buffs, but this video shows what is obvious: DH with 2 sources of damage or +dmg buffs will kill stuff slower than monk with 5 sources of damage or +dmg skills. anyone pretending to be surprised is well.. slow.
Weapon damage increased from 430% to 914%
Weapon damage increased from 390% to 829%

the above monk buffs were given in 1.07
increase spike trap from 275% t0 800%
increase Fan of knives from 320% to 914%
Im sure everyone would be happy then right?
No one would be jealous? I'm suuuuure no other classes would complain then right? (ha)
that's so true
there are getting less and less player who wants to play with DH
If blizzard won't fix it, the game will not have DH player anymore
For that We do not think it's cool and We are not thankful