Need help!! I keep Dying.

Demon Hunter
Ok. So I just got this game about a week ago. Tried out a DH. Liked it.. they're awesome. Now that Im a level 60 (3) Link to DH http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/EchoIs-1704/hero/32915207 I keep dying. I dont know what im doing wrong. If anyone could give me tips or pointers on NOT Dying. or am I geared wrong? Im confused.

Anyway, any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You need more Armor and Resist All, here's a goal to shoot for 40k life:4000 armor: 400 Res All.
Use Shadow Power - Gloom

P.S. Caltrops is a bit redundant with Entangling, I would ditch it for Shadow Power..
You need more Armor and Resist All, here's a goal to shoot for 40k life:4000 armor: 400 Res All.
Use Shadow Power - Gloom

Awesome, Good to know there's people out there willing to help others.. i appreciate your tips.
Try switching out Rapid Fire with Ice Arrow or Bola Shot. Then lose Sharpshooter passive and get Cull the Weak. View my profile to see what kind of build I use as I run Entangling Shot as well.

Pro Tip: Entangling Shot has a proc coefficient of 1.60! This is very high relative to other skills and works wonders when used with Life on Hit weapons. Very few DHs use LoH bows because of Shadow Power; however, Danetta's Set comes with LoH baked in, so to speak.
Try switching out Rapid Fire with Ice Arrow or Bola Shot. Then lose Sharpshooter passive and get Cull the Weak. View my profile to see what kind of build I use as I run Entangling Shot as well.

Pro Tip: Entangling Shot has a proc coefficient of 1.60! This is very high relative to other skills and works wonders when used with Life on Hit weapons. Very few DHs use LoH bows because of Shadow Power; however, Danetta's Set comes with LoH baked in, so to speak.

Cool, Thanks for the tips as well.. Im gonna try out that Ice Arrow or Bola Shot.. See whats up. and Ill add Cull the Weak as well.. Ill play with it.. appreciate your guys' input.
Suppose I was to ignore your gear completely, you need to make sure that you have skills to prevent you from dying in the first place, at the same time make sure that you can have damage output. First off, why are you dying? What is making you die?

DH has no "fixed" build but has skills which help you out to survive.

Smoke screen -> Very good panic button
Vault - Acrobatics -> Good alternative to smoke screen if used appropriately.
Other vault runes can be used but this one doesn't use discipline at the cost of a small cooldown.
Caltrops - Torturous Ground -> Good way to stay "safe" from monsters. Plant traps, stay back.
The other caltrop runes may be used for similar crowd control for slowing monsters, or you may use entangling shot, or frost arrows in a similar way as crowd control.
Shadow power - Gloom -> Good for the ability to take hits you normally can't, while having life steal too.
Shadow power - shadow glide -> Life steal with mobility while shooting.

All the above is just examples of how you defend yourself. Next you need to make sure you can kill effectively. I'll come back to your gear after I talk about your offensive abilities.

As I said before, DH has no "fixed" build. So you do whatever you what that makes you feel most comfortable. A DH may wish kite and shoot, NOT kite and shoot (tank), or kite and NOT shoot (what?).

- Suppose you wish to kite and shoot. Then your goal is to stay AWAY from your monsters, and shoot from a far distance. One method of preventing elites from coming close to you is to slow them (caltrops, entangling, frost arrow, etc.), immobilize them (torturous grounds), stun them (bola shot rune, cluster arrow rune, stun grenades, etc.). I would personally use caltrops -> torturous ground with preparation and/or night stalker but it is personal preference.

- Suppose you wish you NOT kite and shoot. Then your goal is literally tank out your monsters. The easiest way to do this is by using shadow power - gloom, and life steal your health more than they deal damage, I'm sure you tried this before... To do this properly, you need to make sure you deal enough damage output, which is why I prefer to use spike traps - echoing blast, but personal preference again

Now you want your passives to SUPPORT you. A mix of passives which help your dps, help you defensively, or give support.

As in the above I said, you need to change your gear up. If you started this game a week ago, I have no idea how much cash you have. I wouldn't recommend duel wielding as awesome as it would be to.
- I recommend instead of duel weilding, to use your calamity and get 'dead man's legacy' which would provide you with more HP, attack speed
- I suggest to get a socket for your helm, resist all, or something 'extra'.
- I also recommend looking into set items. Inna's temperance/inna's favor is popular and provides nice dps/attack speed/movement speed. Natalya's bloody footprints along with natalya's embrace/natalya's reflection is good too. Or you may which you get the full 4 piece set....
- Your bracers you should look into either prowlers (i won't recommend), or bracers with all resist, decent vit/dex, and crit chance!! all 4 of those attributes.
- Gloves should have crit chance/crit damage, and a good amount. Along with this, it should have some decent dex too, and possibly if you can afford it, resist all.
- Shoulders -> Buy vile wards. They are tanky/cheap. Yup. Or if you can craft some good DEX shoulders, not VIT shoulders with no dex...
- Amulet is the same issue as the gloves, crit chance/ crit damage, or get lucky with a crafted amulet.
- Rings I recommend crit chance/crit damage/attack speed, some 2 of those, or hellfire ring if you wish to take your time to get one. Other alternates which are cheaper is to buy unity, litany of the undaunted, or some other rings w/ similar stats.

Again many of these suggestions are from my bias viewpoint. You can take them if you wish, or you can add me and I can help you sometime I'm online if you want.

Note: Don't copy my build! lol
A few suggestions:

1. Get movement speed up to +24% (Lacunis on wrist or inna's pants will do that) The faster you move, the easier to avoid all the bad stuff.
2. Get more All Resist (Mempo helm is a great ehp booster with life%+AR)
3. Having either vengeance or nightstalker passive to help replenish discipline (for gloom/vault). You will need to get your crit hit chance up for nightstalker to be effective though.

Good luck!
Suppose I was to ignore your gear completely, you need to make sure that you have skills to prevent you from dying in the first place, at the same time make sure that you can have damage output. First off, why are you dying? What is making you die?

DH has no "fixed" build but has skills which help you out to survive.

Smoke screen -> Very good panic button
Vault - Acrobatics -> Good alternative to smoke screen if used appropriately.
Other vault runes can be used but this one doesn't use discipline at the cost of a small cooldown.
Caltrops - Torturous Ground -> Good way to stay "safe" from monsters. Plant traps, stay back.
The other caltrop runes may be used for similar crowd control for slowing monsters, or you may use entangling shot, or frost arrows in a similar way as crowd control.
Shadow power - Gloom -> Good for the ability to take hits you normally can't, while having life steal too.
Shadow power - shadow glide -> Life steal with mobility while shooting.

All the above is just examples of how you defend yourself. Next you need to make sure you can kill effectively. I'll come back to your gear after I talk about your offensive abilities.

As I said before, DH has no "fixed" build. So you do whatever you what that makes you feel most comfortable. A DH may wish kite and shoot, NOT kite and shoot (tank), or kite and NOT shoot (what?).

- Suppose you wish to kite and shoot. Then your goal is to stay AWAY from your monsters, and shoot from a far distance. One method of preventing elites from coming close to you is to slow them (caltrops, entangling, frost arrow, etc.), immobilize them (torturous grounds), stun them (bola shot rune, cluster arrow rune, stun grenades, etc.). I would personally use caltrops -> torturous ground with preparation and/or night stalker but it is personal preference.

- Suppose you wish you NOT kite and shoot. Then your goal is literally tank out your monsters. The easiest way to do this is by using shadow power - gloom, and life steal your health more than they deal damage, I'm sure you tried this before... To do this properly, you need to make sure you deal enough damage output, which is why I prefer to use spike traps - echoing blast, but personal preference again

Now you want your passives to SUPPORT you. A mix of passives which help your dps, help you defensively, or give support.

As in the above I said, you need to change your gear up. If you started this game a week ago, I have no idea how much cash you have. I wouldn't recommend duel wielding as awesome as it would be to.
- I recommend instead of duel weilding, to use your calamity and get 'dead man's legacy' which would provide you with more HP, attack speed
- I suggest to get a socket for your helm, resist all, or something 'extra'.
- I also recommend looking into set items. Inna's temperance/inna's favor is popular and provides nice dps/attack speed/movement speed. Natalya's bloody footprints along with natalya's embrace/natalya's reflection is good too. Or you may which you get the full 4 piece set....
- Your bracers you should look into either prowlers (i won't recommend), or bracers with all resist, decent vit/dex, and crit chance!! all 4 of those attributes.
- Gloves should have crit chance/crit damage, and a good amount. Along with this, it should have some decent dex too, and possibly if you can afford it, resist all.
- Shoulders -> Buy vile wards. They are tanky/cheap. Yup. Or if you can craft some good DEX shoulders, not VIT shoulders with no dex...
- Amulet is the same issue as the gloves, crit chance/ crit damage, or get lucky with a crafted amulet.
- Rings I recommend crit chance/crit damage/attack speed, some 2 of those, or hellfire ring if you wish to take your time to get one. Other alternates which are cheaper is to buy unity, litany of the undaunted, or some other rings w/ similar stats.

Again many of these suggestions are from my bias viewpoint. You can take them if you wish, or you can add me and I can help you sometime I'm online if you want.

Note: Don't copy my build! lol

Wow, Great essay. I read the whole thing, It made perfect sense. I appreciate you taking the time and writing that out. Ill take some of your tips into consideration. Especially the Armor Sets and Weapon. Ill try all those out.. Once again I appreciate you taking the time and writing this out. Its been of great help.
Here's my recommendations:

Get your all resist up to 300+.

Get your health up to about 50k.

Get 24% movement speed.

Use one primary attack. With Calamity I recommend Bola Shot: Thunderball. Immiment Doom is also good but the stun will help you more since you are having issues staying alive. Alternatively Entangling Shot with Shock Collar is very good with it's high proc coefficient and excellent dot damage, people use it often with Windforce which is something you may want to try.

Use a different secondary attack. Either use Spike Traps with Echoing Blast (Scatter is ok too) or use Elemental Arrow with Ball Lightning although Frost Arrow is also good and might help with your survivability.

Sentry is a good skill. Since you are having issues surviving I'd go with guardian turret. The reduced damage is noticable.

Use vault and use shadow power gloom, and you probably should also use prep to increase your ability to shadow power and vault more often. Shadow power is your bread and butter stay alive skill and you need to be able to use it often.

You need to have a way to regenerate discipline with most builds. Prep is a good start to refill your discipline, but I'd also recommend nightstalker. However, you need to get your crit chance up to 40% or so for it to work. If you can't do that I'd recommend picking up perfectionist, that will improve your defensive stats which will allow you to not need to shadow power as often and will slightly reduce the discipline cost so you can use shadow power more often.

For your gear try to pickup a natalya's set. At least grab a two piece, boots and chest for the excellent 2 piece bonus. You'll also get 12% movement speed from the boots. The four piece bonus for natalya's (boots, chest, ring, helm) is very good, the +20 disc is useful, but some people prefer Mempo of Twilght for the better stats instead of the extra discipline. I prefer the extra discipline. Inna's pants and belt are also very good and commonly used although some people prefer using a witching hour for their belt. I'd definitely start by getting Nat's boots and chest, you'll get the 2 piece bonus plus the 12% movement speed. Then I'd get Inna's pants and maybe belt for the other 12% movement speed. Then just upgrade from there. A dead man's legacy instead of an offhand will also give you a lot of vitality which you need.