What exactly do the devs accomplish in one work week?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
I think you're grossly trivializing the amount of work and planning that goes into game of this nature. Blizzard, and other big AAA developers, are always in a damned if you / damned if you don't situation. If you push patches / tweaks / fixes too early, the entire player base whines that it wasn't properly tested. If they take the time to test it, the entire player base whines that it's taking too long.
04/29/2013 06:16 AMPosted by omniwank
And not only that - with the upcoming changes to monster density, Blizz has completely ignored the fact that single target skills are going to be rendered next to useless. What Demon Hunter is going to use Impale when there are 20 mobs swarming him? Across the board, single-hit skills need to buffed to 2x to 3x their aoe counterparts to be even remotely effective.

I know this isn't the main point of your post OP but single target skills are still very much viable with increased mob density ie. Elites/Rares/Bosses/Goblins. It's also effective for downing the straggling survivors of a big group of trash as opposed to wasting resource on an AoE strike when one isn't needed. And how would buffing single-hit skills 2-3x work by your logic of the proposed issue? They'd still be single-hit skills. The majority of them do damage just fine.

As for the rest of your post I somewhat agree despite the fact that you're overacting a bit. I'd like a bit more transparency as to the progress that is being made or even just more constructive posts from blues/devs.
OP... Have you ever wrote code before? It isnt easy... It can take forever to figure out a bug in code... Have you seen the movie the matrix? The code that they saw when you were just seeing normal reality? It is kind of like that.. You see this pretty polished game... They see code... Lots and lots of code... The sad thing is there can be hundreds of thousands of lines of code and all it takes to make the whole game stop working could be someone actually putting an a instead of an A....

It is always funny to see people like yourself who have no clue what it takes to make the IT world go round and round.. You have no patience when patience is a MUST in the IT world.

I challenge you OP.. Learn to write code.. And then write a game that looks and plays as well as D3 does...
ITT a bunch of people that think the current diablo 3 dev team is hundreds of people large.
OP... Have you ever wrote code before? It isnt easy... It can take forever to figure out a bug in code... Have you seen the movie the matrix? The code that they saw when you were just seeing normal reality? It is kind of like that.. You see this pretty polished game... They see code... Lots and lots of code... The sad thing is there can be hundreds of thousands of lines of code and all it takes to make the whole game stop working could be someone actually putting an a instead of an A....

It is always funny to see people like yourself who have no clue what it takes to make the IT world go round and round.. You have no patience when patience is a MUST in the IT world.

I challenge you OP.. Learn to write code.. And then write a game that looks and plays as well as D3 does...

I agree with you and don't mind waiting for patches but it begs the question; how the hell does the grinding gears team behind Path of Exile release new skills, class balancing, improved graphics and whole new events every 2-3 weeks? Keep in mind they are a very small indie team as opposed to the AAA+ big shot Blizzard league.

Like I said I don't mind waiting, I'd just like some more transparency on where they are at and what they are currently working on. It's not much to ask for. How long would it take for a CM to write up a Daily Development post in a no-reply sticky thread?
04/29/2013 06:16 AMPosted by omniwank
I just don't get why the devs are at such a disconnect when it comes to changes that need to be made to skills

I don't get it either. Skill adjusting doesn't take months.
04/29/2013 07:53 AMPosted by Dpdk
In before a blue responds with "guys coding takes time ok its really super hard and takes a lot of time."

The funny thing is that excuse doesn't wash with people like myself who have actually programmed games. I'm not a hobbyist, either, I'm talking full games. I've added entirely new features in a week. Blizzard takes over a month to implement obvious number changes. It's astonishing.

What's even more curious is that they only make a few number changes at once, needlessly stretching out patch notes across 5 or 6 achingly spaced out patches.

If any of the games I've made were popular enough that I had people on our forums literally doing the thinking for us and telling us how to balance it, we would double check to make sure they'd be good changes, then change the damage/cooldown/cost levels etc. in an afternoon and dispatch the update the same day.

My theory? Like someone else said, there are very few actual programmers (possibly just 1) and everyone else just sits around a table philosophizing and wasting time.

Just for instance, pick a random rune in Diablo 3 that is useless. How about Toad of Hugeness? It's not even a debate, it is literally pointless. Everyone knows it. Everyone has known it for a year now. Blizzard must know it.

So what has stopped them from going "Let's just add 100% more weapon damage to it", just for the heck of it?

Answer: Because before they would ever do that, there apparently needs to be a week's worth of round table discussion about the philosophy of toads and whether increasing its damage fits with the philosophy of the game, with the philosophy of the skill, with Travis's philosophy, Travis's dog's philosophy, the philosophy of his next-door neighbor... so much fluff is in the way of just making an obvious change and rolling it out.
In before a blue responds with "guys coding takes time ok its really super hard and takes a lot of time."

The funny thing is that excuse doesn't wash with people like myself who have actually programmed games. I'm not a hobbyist, either, I'm talking full games. I've added entirely new features in a week. Blizzard takes over a month to implement obvious number changes. It's astonishing.

What's even more curious is that they only make a few number changes at once, needlessly stretching out patch notes across 5 or 6 achingly spaced out patches.

If any of the games I've made were popular enough that I had people on our forums literally doing the thinking for us and telling us how to balance it, we would double check to make sure they'd be good changes, then change the damage/cooldown/cost levels etc. in an afternoon and dispatch the update the same day.

My theory? Like someone else said, there are very few actual programmers (possibly just 1) and everyone else just sits around a table philosophizing and wasting time.

Just for instance, pick a random rune in Diablo 3 that is useless. How about Toad of Hugeness? It's not even a debate, it is literally pointless. Everyone knows it. Everyone has known it for a year now. Blizzard must know it.

So what has stopped them from going "Let's just add 100% more weapon damage to it", just for the heck of it?

Answer: Because before they would ever do that, there apparently needs to be a week's worth of round table discussion about the philosophy of toads and whether increasing its damage fits with the philosophy of the game, with the philosophy of the skill, with Travis's philosophy, Travis's dog's philosophy, the philosophy of his next-door neighbor... so much fluff is in the way of just making an obvious change and rolling it out.

Haha nicely said, I really like Diablo 3 in its current state, but I have to agree with everything you stated. :)
The time it took for 1.08 to come out should have been enough to implement the sweeping itemization changes to be honest. At this rate we are talking years before we see them, let alone pvp :'(
OP kinda reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gFL7FBe_PA
Haha nicely said, I really like Diablo 3 in its current state, but I have to agree with everything you stated. :)The time it took for 1.08 to come out should have been enough to implement the sweeping itemization changes to be honest. At this rate we are talking years before we see them, let alone pvp :'(

Who gives a crap about pvp! Blizzard needs to sit down and work on the actual game first. When the games finished and actually enjoyable. Then it's time to develope some awesome pvp. Not this bandaid after bandaid junk coming out. I just would like to actually have to use my brain in this game rather then whirlwind around the screen without taken any damage... There's no player progression development for the player to choose. You're being spoonfeed through the whole game.

No Stats choice system in a diablo game?!?!
No Skill Tree system in a diablo game?!?!
Only 4 players per game?!
Can't use your companion in a multiplayer game.. umm why?
AUCTION HOUSE?!
Some blues I find are better then LEGENDARYS I FIND? HOW? (being addressed finally)
Most event spawned monsters give you no kill bonus's or loot?!
Most event spawned boss's give you terrible loot or nothing?!?
Most events aren't worth even completing. (800 to 1600gold for completing??? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!)
No Offline gameplay?!
Content is unbalanced with monster spawns (being addressed finally)
Content is way to short and not enough places to go farm
Content zones need to be enlarged with more monsters in all of them. ALL THE ZONES ENLARGED.
No reason to farm bosses (Lets be honest.. they give you crap 90% of the time and elite farming is the only way to go)
So...too many chiefs, not enough indians, progress-adverse group dynamics and a widespread attitude of indifference whilst being locked inside the cozy dev bubble... and also busy on finishsing the console version.
Sounds about right.
Final verdict: Too sloppy, too slow, too autistic. Blizzard is officially not cool anymore.
Day 1: Someone comes up with an idea and tells boss.
Day 2 Boss tells employee to start working on it while he gets approval
Day 3 Boss informs his boss of idea
Day 4 His boss thinks on it for a day
Day 5 His boss tells him that it's a !@#$ idea because it makes no money.
Day 6 Original employee is informed that his work needs to be scrapped because it makes no money.
Day 7 Who works on Sunday's?
Well as former employees pointed out, there is a lot of senior staff there that do next to nothing. Way too much politics there (which I suppose you'll find in most large businesses).

I don't believe there a lot of people there right now that are specifically designated to work on the Diablo team. As former employees have also pointed out, when they are working on a new game, their hours are beyond ridiculous, so in all likelyhood, employees that are working on other games, are not touching D3. The very few that are working on D3 probably have to go through senior staff to get anything done, which as we now know.. they don't do much.
Last I checked you do not pay a monthly subscription for this game. They can do whatever the hell they want in whatever time frame they want and you really can't do anything about it. If you are unhappy with the game, leave. No one is stopping you.
04/29/2013 08:09 AMPosted by ZOMGWTFBBQ
Sometimes you be surprise how long it takes the wheel to move. I work in a small company so things goes fast but I was contracted out to a bank last winter and it took 3 weeks to add a button to their iPhone app doing mortgage calculation. Just one freaking button. I was in disbelieve until I finally see it. So I would assume Bliz is not diff from that bank I worked in last winter. You can't compare their dev speed with indie gamer's dev speed.

I also work for the government, which is the pinnacle on being slow. Even they can crank out more work at a faster pace than Blizzard.

As another poster pointed out (which makes sense), perhaps they didn't actually code their own game; perhaps it was a copy from something else. So when it comes time to tweak things here and there.. they really don't know how to because they don't understand it.

I'm no programmer, in fact I hated it back in school, but I do know it's common for code to be "borrowed" so to speak, so this very well could be a case of code they borrowed that they don't know how to adjust without messing things up.
04/29/2013 06:21 AMPosted by BoNeCrUsHeR
Somebody mad.

A lot of people been playing since release. PoE is further along than D3. Why shouldnt we be upset?