Are character name changes possible?

Technical Support
i second that!!
the thing is what on earth would stop the devs from putting this option in from the start? a lot of D3 has been an exercise in... but why? so many parts of the game are either worthless, changes for no real good reason, or stuff just left out that is staple in online gaming now. The two biggest being AH/ability to trade items and offline... people piss and moan about d2 online, but code the characters differently and have clientside offline, and serverside only online... no reverse engineering of the clientside will help hack the serverside characters, cloudlock the world and use internet to authenticate the games files before and after clientside play and a quickcheck when people join someone elses game and there you have it. Other companies have systems set up something like this already... I'm tired of all the pisspoor excuses to take options and features away from the customer. Plus without any real PVP and the ability to not have to play with any one person at any time with world instancing... not sure what the problem is. Seems to be just laziness... 'hm rather than work on making this game super awesome and keep what diablo is alive, let's just take away features and bastardize the character customizability'... It's fun, but it's just a fancy gauntlet now.
well after the hackers destroyed my account they left my monk lvl 52, and the name is changed so somehow it's possible
My name is bunch of random letters now. used to be cool
It seems weird to me that people are willing to pay hard earned $$ for the ability to change a single field in a database. Because that is what you are asking for here, basic data entry capabilities.

There are two places character names show up:
  • In my in-game interface.
  • In my profile on battle.net
  • They don't have to be unique across a server or even across an account so I am not sure why I can't just have a text field that lets me change the silly thing anytime I want.
    05/02/2013 07:18 PMPosted by Omrakos

I'm afraid changing a Diablo III character's name isn't an option built into the game currently. That isn't to say it won't ever be, but I've not heard of any plans to make it available.

Why Not?
    05/02/2013 07:18 PMPosted by Omrakos
    I'm afraid changing a Diablo III character's name isn't an option built into the game currently. That isn't to say it won't ever be, but I've not heard of any plans to make it available.

Microstransactions at some point may address.
    I know it's been a couple of years but, is the "character name change" option now available? M~
    08/17/2016 05:18 PMPosted by Kitevex75
    I know it's been a couple of years but, is the "character name change" option now available? M~

No it is not and there are no plans to make it an option. Take off all the gear and put it in the Stash, delete the character, make a new one, get power leveled, put gear back on. That is the only way to do it right now.
    jsut take your gear off delete and make a new one
    Sigh...
    The joy of deleting a character with my ex'es name on it is tempting in its own right...However as I do not play this game as regularly as I used to and lost my power leveling friends. Alas, I will have to wait till this has been made an option...
    09/16/2017 12:45 PMPosted by StuddlyPig
    The joy of deleting a character with my ex'es name on it is tempting in its own right...However as I do not play this game as regularly as I used to and lost my power leveling friends. Alas, I will have to wait till this has been made an option...

I am afraid to tell you there are no plans to make this an option. Deleting may be best for you in all aspects. Maybe when Season 12 starts which is estimate to be the end of October or early November. That is a perfect time to make a new Char.
    It's no big deal to just recreate your character. Paragons levels, Gems, and Gear all transfer over. Achievements are account based, so all you'd have to do is create a new character with the desired name, and level it to 70. Then you just reequip your gear, and Wallah! You have successfully changed your characters name.
    i love my warrior but not as much as my ex now, whom shared the same name...
    05/25/2013 08:42 PMPosted by LadyRohan
    I would like to add my voice to those who would wish for such a service to be introduced. This is not a technically difficult feat, it adds an extra source of income for Blizzard if launched as a paid service and it would greatly enhance the gameplay of those of us who chose a less than ideal name when the characters were made. I agree with the original poster that while this might not be a large issue, it is a feature that would be appreciated and used by many players, myself included, and as with when the feature was launched in World of Warcraft, will give an incentive to revamp a character one might be interested in playing, and renew the interest in the game.

If this feature is possible to add to the game in an upcoming patch, I'd surely appreciate the idea being given to the designer team and launched as a feature, paid or not, for the active playerbase of Diablo 3.
    05/25/2013 08:42 PMPosted by LadyRohan
    I would like to add my voice to those who would wish for such a service to be introduced. This is not a technically difficult feat, it adds an extra source of income for Blizzard if launched as a paid service and it would greatly enhance the gameplay of those of us who chose a less than ideal name when the characters were made. I agree with the original poster that while this might not be a large issue, it is a feature that would be appreciated and used by many players, myself included, and as with when the feature was launched in World of Warcraft, will give an incentive to revamp a character one might be interested in playing, and renew the interest in the game.

If this feature is possible to add to the game in an upcoming patch, I'd surely appreciate the idea being given to the designer team and launched as a feature, paid or not, for the active playerbase of Diablo 3.
    I completely agree
    Can you take your normal a player and switch to a seasonal player.
    No. You can rebirth a Normal character as a Seasonal, but it will start as a fresh level 1.
    This is not a Tech issue, nor does it have anything to do with the OP about name changing.
    Please post these questions in New Player Help forum and don't be surprised if the Mods lock this thread.