Tricky monk question.. thanks in advance.

Monk
Does the element on a SOJ matters when using the skill "fist of thunder".
And if it is not, does the cold dmg stack with any other lighting dmg % affix. example WKL. I am trying to do a tricky build. Would like to confirm before I start my journey. Thank you in advance.
Anyone, please I need a responds from apparently a blue. Thanks Blizz love ya. <3
You'll get the elemental DMG if that's what'd you're asking.

Will you get the cold snare on FoT? No.
you get the cold snare on sweeping winds.....
05/05/2013 08:37 AMPosted by jynxedmonkey
you get the cold snare on sweeping winds.....
Depends on the rune. Like you won't get it on Fire Storm or Cyclone as they're elemental already.
This is the way I've come to understand it: if you use a non-elemental damage skill, the + to elemental damage from your SOJ will be added on top of your regular (physical, black) damage, because the elemental damage % is added to your weapons black damage.

If you use a elemental skill, all of the damage dealt with that skill will be of the associated type, regardless of any +x% to elemental damage affixes.

Thus, using a cold SOJ, your FoT will deal lightning damage, as will your cyclones; however your sweeping winds aura will deal physical + 5/6% cold damage and will thus apply the snare effect. It should be noted that a WKL:s +%to lightning skills will thus affect SOJ + to elemental damage on your lightning skills, regardless of what element it is.

-->
1. Using a lightning SOJ with a WKL will not give you more damage than using any other element SOJ.
2.Using a cold SOJ will give your sweeping winds aura the snare effect, unless using Fire Storm rune.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong. :)
This is the way I've come to understand it: if you use a non-elemental damage skill, the + to elemental damage from your SOJ will be added on top of your regular (physical, black) damage, because the elemental damage % is added to your weapons black damage.

If you use a elemental skill, all of the damage dealt with that skill will be of the associated type, regardless of any +x% to elemental damage affixes.

Thus, using a cold SOJ, your FoT will deal lightning damage, as will your cyclones; however your sweeping winds aura will deal physical + 5/6% cold damage and will thus apply the snare effect. It should be noted that a WKL:s +%to lightning skills will thus affect SOJ + to elemental damage on your lightning skills, regardless of what element it is.

-->
1. Using a lightning SOJ with a WKL will not give you more damage than using any other element SOJ.
2.Using a cold SOJ will give your sweeping winds aura the snare effect, unless using Fire Storm rune.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Thank you so much, this has cleared up a lot. The reason I ask, is because I am trying to do a crazy monk build. I am pretty much stacking Tals Set to get the bonus 3% dmg. The pieces consist of the ammy (which will be 6% lighting dmg), belt and chest piece to obtain the bonus. Pretty much I am trying to stack as much lighting affix as possible with FOT dmg as well. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks for your answers everyone, this is very much appreciated.
05/05/2013 09:55 AMPosted by Timmy
Hmm. I just tested. Regardless of rune SW does not snare w/ a Cold SoJ. Took off my Zuni boots and used a Skorn and the SW aura would not snare.
It should be noted that a WKL:s +%to lightning skills will thus affect SOJ + to elemental damage on your lightning skills, regardless of what element it is.

-->

This is what I would agree too as well but here is a closely related tidbit I found in the Wiz forums that is interesting as well.

There's one other elemental related gear affix. Look at Frostburn Gauntlets for example: "Cold skills deal 15–30% more damage."
So what does this apply to? A "cold skill" is everything that deals cold damage. So for Ray of Frost, you get 30% more damage. Who would've thought...
But here's the interesting part: Base attack / Spectral Blade with cold damage from gear partially also counts as a cold skill.
That means when using Spectral Blades with 100 avg non-elemental damage, and Frosties with 30% +cold skills and 6% +cold damage, you actually get 100 * 0.06 * 1.3 = 7.8 additional cold damage instead of 6. The "cold" portion of your damage mix is increased by this affix. And you end up with 107.8 total damage.

The skills do % more dmg affixese scale the elemental dmg from SOJs and the likes on skills that display those affixes.

from https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237#3
K I don't know why I'm having such trouble understanding but I am currently trying to find an SOJ and I have a WKL are you saying I shouldn't search for a lightning % + damage soj but rather any element and just try to search for the other attribute I want (sweeping wind or FoT)? At least that's what I'm getting sorry haha.
Yes, FoT/Cyclone makes the whole attack lighting(fire for firestorm) so it doesn't matter what element is on the SOJ.
05/05/2013 10:42 AMPosted by LegitBeastin
Hmm. I just tested. Regardless of rune SW does not snare w/ a Cold SoJ. Took off my Zuni boots and used a Skorn and the SW aura would not snare.

I see cold snare when I use circlular breathing.... and a SoJ cold 6%