Drop rate might need some clarification

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
Here are the exact values for clarification:

The chance for the following monsters to drop loot has also been reduced to better match their HP:
  • By 50% for:
    • Bile Crawlers, Crazed Cultists, Dark Cultists, Dark Zealots, Deranged Cultists, Doom Wraiths, Enraged Zealots, Fallen, Fallen Grunts, Fallen Peons, Fallen Soldiers, Ravenous Dead, Shade Stalkers, Shadow Vermin, Skeletal Crawlers, and Spine Lashers

• By 25% for:
    • Brood Hatchlings, Cavern Spiders, Crazed Summoners, Dark Conjurers, Dark Summoners, Dust Shamblers, Fallen, Fallen Grunts, Fallen Peons, Fallen Soldiers, Foul Conjurers, Hungry Corpses, Retching Cadavers, Spiderlings

wat
    we weren't making any zones in Act I, Act II, and Act IV too OP, or the next must-go-to place for farming, by increasing their density

Oh don't worry it's still VotA and act 3 24/7. You guys forgot about elites remember?

• Experience granted by the following monsters has been reduced to better match their HP:
      • By 75% for:
        • Brood Hatchlings, Cavern Spiders, Spiderlings, Stygian Crawlers, and Tormented Stingers

• By 60% for:
        • Accursed, Betrayed, Blazing Ghouls, Ghouls, Murderous Fiends, Reviled, Savage Fiends, and Vicious Ghouls

• By 50% for:
        • Bile Crawlers, Crazed Cultists, Crazed Summoners, Dark Conjurers, Dark Cultists, Dark Summoners, Dark Zealots, Deranged Cultists, Doom Wraiths, Enraged Zealots, Fallen, Fallen Grunts, Fallen Peons, Fallen Soldiers, Foul Conjurers, Ravenous Dead, Shade Stalkers, Shadow Vermin, Skeletal Crawlers, and Spine Lashers

• By 40% for:
        • Dark Moon Clan Impalers, Moon Clan Impalers

• By 34% for:
        • Blazing Guardians, Charged Constructs, Chilling Constructs, Frost Guardians, Noxious Guardians, Shock Guardians, Smoldering Constructs, and Toxic Constructs

• By 25% for:
        • Dust Shamblers, Hungry Corpses, Retching Cadavers

• The chance for the following monsters to drop loot has also been reduced to better match their HP:
      • By 60% for:
        • Accursed, Betrayed, Blazing Ghouls, Ghouls, Murderous Fiends, Reviled, Savage Fiends, and Vicious Ghouls

• By 50% for:
        • Bile Crawlers, Crazed Cultists, Dark Cultists, Dark Zealots, Deranged Cultists, Doom Wraiths, Enraged Zealots, Fallen, Fallen Grunts, Fallen Peons, Fallen Soldiers, Ravenous Dead, Shade Stalkers, Shadow Vermin, Skeletal Crawlers, and Spine Lashers

• By 40% for:

• By 34% for:
        • Blazing Guardians, Charged Constructs, Chilling Constructs, Frost Guardians, Noxious Guardians, Shock Guardians, Smoldering Constructs. and Toxic Constructs

• By 25% for:
        • Brood Hatchlings, Cavern Spiders, Crazed Summoners, Dark Conjurers, Dark Summoners, Dust Shamblers, Fallen, Fallen Grunts, Fallen Peons, Fallen Soldiers, Foul Conjurers, Hungry Corpses, Retching Cadavers, Spiderlings

These changes were about balancing monster difficulty vs. monster reward. It also helped us make sure that we weren't making any zones in Act I, Act II, and Act IV too OP, or the next must-go-to place for farming, by increasing their density. This way, zones should be more even in terms of reward, which should in turn give players more options when deciding where they want to farm.

it came to our attention that certain players were ENJOYING our game by playing in a way to maximize their rewards by targeting appropriate monsters, to address this we nerfed the loot/exp from them significantly, have a nice day... And remember, if your thinking of having fun in diablo 3 please don't.

• Experience granted by the following monsters has been reduced to better match their HP:
      • By 75% for:
        • Brood Hatchlings, Cavern Spiders, Spiderlings, Stygian Crawlers, and Tormented Stingers

• By 60% for:

• By 50% for:
        • Bile Crawlers, Crazed Cultists, Crazed Summoners, Dark Conjurers, Dark Cultists, Dark Summoners, Dark Zealots, Deranged Cultists, Doom Wraiths, Enraged Zealots, Fallen, Fallen Grunts, Fallen Peons, Fallen Soldiers, Foul Conjurers, Ravenous Dead, Shade Stalkers, Shadow Vermin, Skeletal Crawlers, and Spine Lashers

• By 40% for:

• By 34% for:
        • Blazing Guardians, Charged Constructs, Chilling Constructs, Frost Guardians, Noxious Guardians, Shock Guardians, Smoldering Constructs, and Toxic Constructs

• By 25% for:

• The chance for the following monsters to drop loot has also been reduced to better match their HP:
      • By 60% for:

• By 50% for:

• By 40% for:

• By 34% for:
        • Blazing Guardians, Charged Constructs, Chilling Constructs, Frost Guardians, Noxious Guardians, Shock Guardians, Smoldering Constructs. and Toxic Constructs

• By 25% for:

These changes were about balancing monster difficulty vs. monster reward. It also helped us make sure that we weren't making any zones in Act I, Act II, and Act IV too OP, or the next must-go-to place for farming, by increasing their density. This way, zones should be more even in terms of reward, which should in turn give players more options when deciding where they want to farm.

Thank you for this. It makes sense, and as it is I've noticed such an increased rate of xp in act 1 as well leg drops because of the density and multiplicative xp bonuses, I assume at this point if these changes weren't made it would be completely unbalanced.
    So once again we get the "on one hand see what we did for you isn't it great? "(monster density) then as a side maybe they wont notice "oh by the way no trash mob is worth killing anymore even though there is twice as many"

Why do you insist on giving on one hand and taking away more than you gave with the other? Really a STUPID way of doing things.

The intention was to make all areas as good or on parallel with act 3, not create a new mandatory run, act. spot. Hence the adjustments. Moreover, it to make the grind to para 100 easier, as well.
    Well personally been playing a bit the last few days. I have gotten many leg drops and I am certainly gaining xp faster so I don't think we need to complain about these changes

• By 75% for:

• By 60% for:

• By 50% for:

• By 40% for:

• By 34% for:

• By 25% for:

• By 60% for:

• By 50% for:

• By 40% for:

• By 34% for:

• By 25% for:

you should stop posting if it's not for the matter of AH problems...It's just not the moment to put useless blues
    This only affects whites right? would be really bad if they dropped loot rates on elites.
    05/09/2013 12:51 PMPosted by Råïjïn
    Increase? If you can find an Elite Mob and a regular mob having the same drop rate than you can clearly convince them to buff that specific Elite. Sadly, none of you do a research. So no Buff would be done. Doubt they will release a drop rate chart on every mob.
    At least have them increase the drop % on elite packs then.
    So can you clarify if that means loot has been nerfed on elites of that specific category you just listed?

by the way, way to go you just nerfed the entire a1/a2/a4 mobs so this density buff is useless.
    I knew something was fishy after I did 3 full act2 clears on MP10 with 0 legendaries

the least affected was a3 (only a few a3 mobs got nerfed)

congrats blizzard, you guys once again KEPT A3 as THE PLACE TO FARM.
    Absolutely amazing. you buffed density and then completely nerf the amount of loot we see

you realize that is counter productive?
    So once again we get the "on one hand see what we did for you isn't it great? "(monster density) then as a side maybe they wont notice "oh by the way no trash mob is worth killing anymore even though there is twice as many"

Why do you insist on giving on one hand and taking away more with the other? Really a STUPID way of doing things.

The goal of increasing monster density was two-fold: 1) play up the fantasy of being a barbarian, demon hunter, monk, witch doctor, or wizard by giving players more monsters to kill and 2) provide viable alternates to Act 3.

The first goal is pretty easy to achieve: just up the density. DONE. However, if that's all we did, we would have just shifted where players farmed, not actually created any alternatives -- which didn't really solve any problems. Increasing density was just part of the equation. To make zones more equitable, we also needed to better scale the rewards of the monsters in them.

There were several monsters in the game pre-1.0.8 that were more or less outliers in terms of reward. That is, they provided similar experience and had drop rates comparable to monsters that were much more difficult to kill. What we did is essentially make it so that their rewards now match their difficulty -- and that's something that's just better for game overall. Wyatt provided a relative explanation here, as well. He only focused on scorpions, but the rationale is the same.

(Also, keep in mind that we buffed the hell out of EXP. What's not included in that post is that Enlightened Shrines stack multiplicatively, too.)
    Lol nice clarification blue.... i wondered why haven't 1 leg drop since new patch expect !@#$y hf ring that i made and salvaged but now i know. More nerfs.
    I've had a lot of drops since the patch. Mostly on the first day it was out, got about 12 in 2-3 hours. Toned down some since then. There really does seem to be a pattern of high drops on the first day any patch is released, that's what I've noticed anyway. IDK... love the new patch. Really really siked for 1.0.9 though :) Thanks Blizz.
    05/09/2013 01:18 PMPosted by DRON
    Lol nice clarification blue.... i wondered why haven't 1 leg drop since new patch expect !@#$y hf ring that i made and salvaged but now i know. More nerfs.

Ermmm...I've been getting excellent returns @MP8-10

You are just bad or lying out your !@#. I'm been averaging 2-3 legendaries a run and have gotten a couple set pieces since 1.08. Nothing is nerfed.
    To be honest what you said Lylirra makes sense to me. Especially if you consider upcoming changes to itemization? Correct me if I'm wrong but was that also the intent of lowering drop rates now?

Sacrifice more to the loot gods. Every 4 man group in act 1 I have done people have walked away with multiple legendaries per person, including the last run where one of us found two pieces of IK gear.
    05/09/2013 01:27 PMPosted by CroNo
    Nothing is nerfed.

Not so sure about that.

While the monster density changes to A1, A2 and A3 are somewhat obvious, most people might not realize that there also appears to be a significant decrease in the number of elite packs that spawn in any given area.

Why do you insist on giving on one hand and taking away more with the other? Really a STUPID way of doing things.

The goal of increasing monster density was two-fold: 1) play up the fantasy of being a barbarian, demon hunter, monk, witch doctor, or wizard by giving players more monsters to kill and 2) provide viable alternates to Act 3.

The first goal is pretty easy to achieve: just up the density. DONE. However, if that's all we did, we would have just shifted where players farmed, not actually created any alternatives -- which didn't really solve any problems. Increasing density was just part of the equation. To make zones more equitable, we also needed to better scale the rewards of the monsters in them.

There were several monsters in the game pre-1.0.8 that were more or less outliers in terms of reward. That is, they provided similar experience and had drop rates comparable to monsters that were much more difficult to kill. What we did is essentially make it so that their rewards now match their difficulty -- and that's something that's just better for game overall. Wyatt provided a relative explanation [url="http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1bjorz/developer_journal_multiplayer_improvements/c97i0sm"]here[/url], as well. He only focused on scorpions, but the rationale is the same.

(Also, keep in mind that we buffed the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569328225?page=3#56"]hell [/url]out of EXP. What's not included in that post is that Enlightened Shrines stack multiplicatively, too.)

So basically you have increased the monster density, but simultaneaously decreased their exp/loot rewards, which means that now we get to kill 50 mobs that give the same loot/xp as 10 mons pre-patch.

Makes little to no sense to me.
    05/09/2013 01:33 PMPosted by Bricktop
    Nothing is nerfed.

Not so sure about that.

While the monster density changes to A1, A2 and A3 are somewhat obvious, most people might not realize that there also appears to be a significant decrease in the number of elite packs that spawn in any given area.

lol...no....that's not true. People please stop spreading misinformation.