Can someone explain how a free game has less downtime?

Games & Technology
POE.....Just please explain it. Is it the more money a company has the less likely they are to get stuff done in a timely manner?
First rule of fight club
Don't talk about fight club.

/thread
Maybe you should explain why you are trolling here instead of playing POE.
Well at this point because the initial omg better than d3 crowd has left and no one plays it.

Just think of a minecraft server. Pretty easy to maintain with 2 people on it compared to 64.
Difference between companies here

One is dedicated to making a game for gamers

The other is dedicated to making a game for profit

You choose which is which
Well at this point because the initial omg better than d3 crowd has left and no one plays it.

Just think of a minecraft server. Pretty easy to maintain with 2 people on it compared to 64.

You'd be right except even during the POE rush there was hardly any downtime.
To put it in perspective if Kripp isn't streaming PoE it literally falls below Guild Wars 2 on twitch. That's terrible.
Does Blizzard need to redo its server setup? I mean weekly maintenance that last this long has to be partially to blame on having setup inefficiently.
Less players on POE. That's why.
Oh and the fact this is also WoW and SC2 maintenance.

3 of the most popular games in the world versus PoE. Whose servers could possibly be more difficult to maintain? Let's guess.
Then I'll repeat , does Blizzard need to redo their setup b/c I can't think of any digital service that has maintenance weekly that takes this long. I mean how come things like XBOX LIVE aren't down for 6 hours a week? More users, digital purchases, effects all of their games....streaming movies. ect ect ect.
I think a lot of people wonder what is actually being done during all that time. Are they changing hardware every week? Are they testing something? Even if it's hardware related, some servers are designed so you can swap out hardware without even shutting the server down... So what are they doing?

If you look at a game like GW2, when they have a patch they don't have any downtime. They just make everyone restart their client to DL it and maybe restart the server and then everyone logs back in.

Sure those games have a lot less players, but why does that matter? Computers don't get exhausted. It's not like they need a break, so what is it that they're doing that takes so long?

When was the last time you tried to google something and it told you their servers were down for maintenance? Whether it's a game server with few players like GW2 or a popular web server that gets many times the users WoW will ever get, some servers don't go down for maintenance nearly as often.

3 of the most popular games in the world versus PoE. Whose servers could possibly be more difficult to maintain? Let's guess.

Totally this. It isn't just Diablo 3 maintenance. It's maintenance that includes also Wow, Starcraft, and any other perpheries that are contained within the behemoth called Battlenet.

Hopefully one day, if GGG eats all its vegetables, it'll grow big and strong too. But right now, its infrastructure is nowhere near as massive as Blizzards', so it can get away with very short downtimes.

Totally this. It isn't just Diablo 3 maintenance. It's maintenance that includes also Wow, Starcraft, and any other perpheries that are contained within the behemoth called Battlenet.

Hopefully one day, if GGG eats all its vegetables, it'll grow big and strong too. But right now, its infrastructure is nowhere near as massive as Blizzards', so it can get away with very short downtimes.

That still doesnt explain it. There are services out there that are bigger then Blizzards as I have mention like XBOX LIVE....weres the weekly 6 hour maintenance?
05/14/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Kixx
To put it in perspective if Kripp isn't streaming PoE it literally falls below Guild Wars 2 on twitch. That's terrible.

True enough. PoE is just kinda boring to watch and most of the streamers that try to don't have personalities worth watching.

That said something I find interesting is D3 on twitch is the only game that streamers seem to HAVE to advertise a giveaway in their title to draw viewers. I always found it pretty sad that D3 is so terrible to watch that the only way people join a channel is if they're promised a chance at free sh!t. No other game I've seen does that. There may be someone doing a giveaway for other games but it isn't a prerequisite for streaming that game.

I don't hold the same standards for PoE as I do for D3, as most rightly don't. D3 was touted as the 2nd coming of jesus and from a company with so much resource/reputation. The fact it's so boring to play and watch is a pretty big letdown. PoE is a nice little surprise from a small group with a tiny budget. It on the other hand, is amazing what that game has accomplished.
I think the reality of the situation is that instead of implementing an effective model in which all testing is done on separate servers, Blizzard is cutting corners to maximize profits and doesn't care that this detracts from the quality of their service. They care more about maximizing profits then providing a higher quality experience to their customers.

In a perfect world, blizzard would be able to effectively test everything they need to test without touching live servers, then simply release a new build when it's ready. The live servers would say a new build is available, restarting in x amount of time. Servers would restart, downtime would be like 1 minute per new build. Everyone would be happier.

Instead they take their live servers down once a week to do things they shouldn't have to take their live servers down to do. Their model is either outdated or just ineffective and needs to be improved.
05/14/2013 11:42 AMPosted by Borg
Instead they take their live servers down once a week to do things they shouldn't have to take their live servers down to do. Their model is either outdated or just ineffective and needs to be improved.

I become so accustomed to Blizzard maintenances that when I played PoE and a major patch with a whole bunch of changes comes along and takes 1 minute of server downtime... I damn near !@#$%^'d.

Beats the hell out of any patch day I've previously experienced where you're told to wait 8 hours, oh jk it was 12 hours. Did we say 12? 16. Dude we said it was 16 + 14 hours of major server instability and lag.
My impression is that Blizzard is more focused on story line and graphics (which is important) than operating the game itself and having the game work on approved hardware, without fatal errors and bugs. Either they refuse to commit resources to game play and server structure or they just don't get it.

Do they have the right people working on this side of the game and top management is just not listening or do they have the wrong people?

Someone has written off user experience with anything but story line and good images. A business doing this would go down in flames, a gaming company on the other hand thinks it is fine.

Just my 2 cents
I find these threads hilarious. If Store X is doing such a better job than Store Y, why are you shopping at Store Y?