No incentive to play

General Discussion
Hey everyone. I suppose you could define me as a "serious casual player" - I've leveled multiple characters to 60, have some paragon levels, have a hardcore 60... I'm not a "hardcore" player in that I grind for hours on end, nor am I someone who tried the game out and put it away.

I just logged in for the first time in nearly a month, did about 45 minutes of play on my 60(6) HC barb... and I feel like I wasted 45 minutes. Here's what I got out of playing:

--about 60 blues, 10 yellows, a few crafting items - all but the crafting items are sold
--100k gold. The problem with this is that if I really want to play/maximize my time, I should buy gold because it is cheap as dirt on the AH and it takes me forever to grind gold, as I am not an AH master.
--3 bars of paragon experience.

That's pretty much it. So I ask myself, "Do I want to do this for another 45 minutes?"

The answer is no. That is what is wrong with Diablo III.

I think the thing that kept people coming back to Diablo II over and over was that the game's greatest items could always be right around the corner. In Diablo III... you find such a large volume of items, but it's almost entirely vendor trash.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's said this, but if there was a resonable expectation to occasionally find "awesome set item X" or "ridiculous legendary item Y" there would be more excitement associated with playing... As it stands now, when a legendary/set item does make an appearance, you hope to yourself, "I hope this amazing legendary Wizard's Hat doesn't roll 300 strength."
+1

Could not have said it better myself. Items in this game are garbage, drop rates are garbage, the RMAH is garbage.
D3 is a experiment gone way wrong.. D2 had built itself on ideas brought to us by Diablo classic. The reason as you know is development staff (being totally different) and design model surrounding a AH/RMAH. They simply could not give us a loot find game that was self found and rewarding and have a lucrative AH.

Another thing.. Diablo 3 failed in the development of their randomized level system. The game really feels boring and obvious. Not sure how this happened or if that can even be fixed now? It is the biggest reason for a cry out for endless dungeon.

I just hope that Bliz reads posts like this...
I agree with the above posts. I am a lvl 95 WD with over 1,800 hours of play time. (my RL circumstances gives me lots of time to play). But I am just about through with this game. Sure I will drop in from time to time because I do still find the combat fun and like the graphics. And I am not stopping because I have already played so many hours. I played D2 endlessly for years into the wee hours of the night. For several seasons my Javazon, "Deerdancer" was on any given day for a period of time within the top 5 on the West Ladder, occaisionally for very brief periods she was No.1. I never got bored. I loved hell cows but most importantly I loved seeing the fascinating variety of weapons that dropped there. I was not looking to improve my gear I just really enjoyed seeing the wild items that dropped in the cow level.

I also really enjoyed starting a new character just for kicks. Starting bare, maybe picking up some armor and weapons in the early stages of Act I, but always consistently improving my character through drops. Each item I picked up may have added only 5--10 damage or 3-7 resistance, but the drops were frequent and consistent and the majority improved my character until you suddenly realize:"Hey, this is a real viable character now."

None of the above is present in D3. At some point the "legit" player runs into a brick wall. I see nothing wrong with using the GAH. But "Iegit" players have always considered buying items with RL money to be cheating. Perhaps not in a moral sense but more so in terms of fair play. Just because Blizzard has included a mechanism for buying items in game does not make buying items any more legitimate. Blizzard's RMAH is a profit center for it that attempts to legitimatize and promote cheating. "Legit" players believe that in the fantasy world of hack and slash where achieving power and status is a typical goal for young players, all players should be on a level playing field and not one tilted in favor of those who have more RL disposable income.

So I have a WD ceremonial knife that's just OK, not great. I bought it 2 months ago for 18 Mil g. Yesterday, the only ceremonial knife that would be an improvement over mine was listed at an asking price of 2 BILLION gold. We all know that the drops/rewards in D3 totally suk. Barring an incredible lucky streak of finding Legendary Lottery items ( I have done that only once for $400 Mil after 1,700 hours played) it would take me years to farm 2 billion gold and by that time the same knife would probably cost 20 billion gold. To my mind, growing out from the most inapropriate loot design in gaming history (in effect, a loot hunt game with no loot) the botters,the dupers, the RMAH and those whose actions support them have totally corrupted this game. And the truth is the people who buy items have only cheated themselves out of the game.

Because it has such great graphics,animations,and combat it is a shame to see this game we waited years for degrade in only one year to a level of corruption that it took D2 years to fall to.

And that's why its game over for me, at least until an itemization patch if it ever comes.

Save your time kiddies, I have already seen thousands of the immature "don't let the door hit you on the way out","can I hax yur stuffs", "LTP" posts.

That's all folks...Happy gaming and may the Spirit of the Legendary Lottery shine his/her light upon your heroic path.
Be well, hawkeye.
So you come back after a month and played for like an hour and didn't find anything so you're quitting?

05/19/2013 10:08 AMPosted by Rar
I think the thing that kept people coming back to Diablo II over and over was that the game's greatest items could always be right around the corner.

Did we play the same D2? I can remember going an entire ladder season without finding a gg item.
So you come back after a month and played for like an hour and didn't find anything so you're quitting?

I think the thing that kept people coming back to Diablo II over and over was that the game's greatest items could always be right around the corner.

Did we play the same D2? I can remember going an entire ladder season without finding a gg item.

Right, but you didn't need a gg item to enjoy,complete,farm for the best items in D2. Success in D2 basically boiled down to hours put in and knowing how to play your character.( I never PvPd in D2) Not on someone's psycho idea of an RNG loot system with limited range, variety,and powers that forces players to have to buy items to progress.

I really do not condemn those who buy items in D3 -- most of it is the result of the very bad loot system. It's a kind of "The Devil Made Me Do It" kind of thing.
OP:

Yeah, this is the exact reason I only play this game once every few months, and only with friends or to mess around with builds at low MP levels. Just for fun, because the moment to moment combat can be fun. But that's honestly the only reason I play D3. There's no real reward for my time invested. Items are junk, no real progression (paragon levels are nice, but still not enough), there is very little content, and what content there is is very linear.

So, I play every once in a great while, until I get bored again, and wait for an expansion or some big update to the game.
05/19/2013 12:14 PMPosted by VitaminEZ

an AH based game is probably what you prefer

in a ladder season I would find a hr every 3-6 days, a sweet charm every 1-2 days, a unique like HoZ or shako or SoJ every 2-3 days, a unique like CoA or windforce every 1-3 months, an open socket item worth 1 hr every 5-7 days.

you either didn't play or didn't know what you were doing
I remember calculating the insane amount of hours I'd have to play just to gear up past Ghom in inferno, I made the decision to buy gold because I figured my time was worth more... biggest mistake I ever made. Now I run a self found hero and hundreds of hours with no upgrades makes me question my own sanity! Help!!! There is NO incentive period
05/19/2013 12:14 PMPosted by VitaminEZ

No, that's not it. I didn't say I was quitting. I said I put in 45 minutes worth of time and it did not seem worth it to put in another 45 minutes worth of time.

Part of the trouble is the combination of Nephalim Valor and the timeout clock that kicks you out of the game after a half hour of inactivity. You need to invest about a half hour to get your Valor stacks, then you can "truly" begin to farm. If life calls you away, the time you invested in getting your Valor stacks is gone. In Diablo II, you could go in for just a few minutes of demon-killing and potentially be rewarded. You could go away for an hour or more and return, finding the gamestate exactly where it was when you left. In contrast, Diablo III demands a time investment, and if life pulls you away, your time investment ends up wasted due to the timeout clock.

Frustrations like the above make hopping in for 45 minutes and coming out with nothing of value unappealing. It becomes less of a game and more of a grind... and the casual gamer (me) does not like to grind; he likes to play.
Hey dood, YOU pick the fun things you wanna do in games, if you cant find it in d3. maybe the answer ur looking for is in other games!

If your frustration is in loot. well I'm sorry RNG is... RNG. I play HC too, and i've had no problem since the beginning ;x
I've taken breaks actually to play SC with friends, or lvl up mp10 toons self found, and went back to HC back and forth, to pace myself.
~~
Happy hunting in-game!