cheapest computer to run diablo?

General Discussion
whats the cheapest option out there?

im talkin about internal needs, if i bought a computer and just had d3 on it... what would be the cheapest lowest tier computer i would need to get to run hardcore smoothly?

and i dont need wifi id rather have a cord connecting me to the internet.

thanks for the advice
well I spent just under 400 on a laptop for my gf that runs it fine on low settings. so if your a desktop guy cheaper than that I'd guess.

although I have nothing good to say about pre assembled "boxed" computers

if you want something good you assemble it yourself
05/12/2013 12:16 PMPosted by DOWNFALL
although I have nothing good to say about pre assembled "boxed" computers

they are way cheaper, at least here in Canada, than build it yourself parts. Its a trade off between money and quality/customization.
Anandtech.com has some nice budget guides for assembling computers based on budget. Anything they recommend will run d3 well and be top value.

You'll save a ton. Not be full of bloatware and adware from major makers and can get a case you like.
put emphasis on the video card
100gb SSD - partition 90 for the OS and the other 10 for game
Both processors and graphics cards are currently years ahead of games. You don't need top end ones anymore to play games well - unless you want to run it on 6, 1080p monitors :P

I built a desktop last fall for $850CAD that runs every game I've hit it with on max settings without a hiccup.
GIGABYTE GA-A55M-DS2 AMD A Series Motherboard and AMD A4-Series A4-3400 APU and Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM Bundle $99.95 after mail in rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4809450&CatId=14

Seagate 160GB Internal Hard Drive - 3.5" Form Factor, SATA III 6Gb/s, 7200 RPM (ST3160316AS) $34.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7622553&CatId=139

Graphics card off Ebay $10-75 (radeon HD5xxx)

Cords, mounting hardware, tube of arctic silver, fans $10-20

Mount it all open air, and assuming you have keyboard/mouse/display all in price ~$174.94

It'll be a dog, but it'll run D3 in lowest settings.
Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4P
i have an insane computer and still get bad fps in big fights. the game is just broken. i get about 500 fps in other games, but once you start playing with a CM wiz and a monk, Computer Dead.
in general, for cheaper comps, look for AMD processors. They are good, but less expensive. the intel "i" series motherboards are awesome in general, but you will be paying decent dollar for it. Really don't need more than an i5 3570k for any game out now, but spring for i7 if you have the $$ (which judging by the title of this, you don't).

If you don't know how to build a computer, I recommend going to Newegg.com and getting a pc from them. you can find an AMD 4100 or 4300 series motherboard with a good card and 8 gb ram for around $400-$500

edit: Found this comp on newegg.com. Not bad for what you get. Not a huge fan of the case, but the inner computer is not bad at all for the price. Ideally, you'd want a better power supply, more RAM and a better HD and SSD if you can afford it. Otherwise, the motherboard, RAM and video card are solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227472
put emphasis on the video card
100gb SSD - partition 90 for the OS and the other 10 for game

Dude. Diablo 3 takes nearly 13GB. So that won't work. Partitioning on an SSD is dumb anyway.

Better off using an SSD for the OS and drive speed dependent programs, and use a conventional drive for data storage, (documents, movies, music, etc) and programs that don't require a lot of drive load time. I personally use several conventional drives, and a mirror for my data files. D3 works fine, and its far cheaper than SSDs of the same size.

I know I can build a tower for less than 400 that can play the game if I go with AMD. (2GHz dual core AMD minimum, at LEAST a 128bit path (256 or more is better) PCIe dedicated card (with its own power connector), 4GB, at least 320GB drive and Windows 7 or 8 and you're good to go. And a 450-600W PSU would be plenty for that build. Video card would be the most expensive part in that build, probably 90-150 bucks for a decent base card.

But if I want to build someone a reliable and higher performance machine, they easily run 800-1200, even more.
05/12/2013 12:53 PMPosted by danitefox
i have an insane computer and still get bad fps in big fights. the game is just broken. i get about 500 fps in other games, but once you start playing with a CM wiz and a monk, Computer Dead.

That makes no sense. I hear about this issue a lot.

I have an i5 bundled to an nVidia GTX 550 TI. The only time it ever lags on me is on the bridge. I use a CM. I play with several wizards at the same time, one throwing twisters and meteors, one using archon spells, myself using a Feeze based build, and the other just doing whatever. I get no slowdown on that computer. All settings are maxed with the exception of shadows, its one down from maxed, on a single full HD display 1920x1080 res.

Now I see more lag on my laptop (1680x1020) and a 9700mGT coupled to a T9400 Core2Duo. But its infinately more playable than the AMD Phenom quad core running an ATI 4870. That thing is a dog in comparison. Even my Dad's AMD quad hooked to an 8600GT works better.

Anyway. Video cards priced way cheap, are going to have 64 bit paths. THAT will slow you down really badly. You want at a min of 128, but I try to stick to 256bit or higher for good performance. There are some at 192 bit that aren't bad either. But that makes a big difference.
If you are shadowboxing remember that only the primary computer need to be decent so anything else that can handle ok is good enough ^_^
I had very little money when I built this desktop. I spent just under 150 bucks:)
Buy a used 20 inch flat screen($40) Buy a used comp tower with 2 3.0 processors($70) buy a video card nividia 9600 gt ($35) Some speakers ($10) 4 sticks of 1 gig ram 5-10 $ each and walla! Diablo at low settings. you can spend a bit more on the video card and pump the graphics up and I would suggest you do. Getting a bunch of mobs on screen and playing with too many WDs tends to lag you a bit more than you might like.

Cheers
05/12/2013 12:53 PMPosted by danitefox
i have an insane computer and still get bad fps in big fights. the game is just broken. i get about 500 fps in other games, but once you start playing with a CM wiz and a monk, Computer Dead

Can you give us some details? I bought my computer specifically to be able to play D3, and I've never had my problems with FPS during battles. I forget the exact stats because I'm out of town at the moment, but I recall it has a mid-to-high end video card from 2011 and an i7 processor.

My laptop on the other hand, is the cheapest computer I could find with a video card. It runs D3 "fine" but is choppy much of the time.

@OP: Bliz has a list of video cards they have tested it with that it works on. Probably it will run on any computer with one of those cards. I also have friends that ran it on lousy systems. It still runs, the quality of gameplay just goes down.
05/12/2013 02:20 PMPosted by DrPotato
i have an insane computer and still get bad fps in big fights. the game is just broken. i get about 500 fps in other games, but once you start playing with a CM wiz and a monk, Computer Dead

Can you give us some details? I bought my computer specifically to be able to play D3, and I've never had my problems with FPS during battles. I forget the exact stats because I'm out of town at the moment, but I recall it has a mid-to-high end video card from 2011 and an i7 processor.

My laptop on the other hand, is the cheapest computer I could find with a video card. It runs D3 "fine" but is choppy much of the time.

@OP: Bliz has a list of video cards they have tested it with that it works on. Probably it will run on any computer with one of those cards. I also have friends that ran it on lousy systems. It still runs, the quality of gameplay just goes down.

I have an i7, gtx 670, 8 gigs of ram and I drop to 30 fps in big fights. now with the increased density it's basically like that all the time. happens to everyone I know that has a great computer. they always drop to 30 fps or so. On my old computer that wasn't TOO Terrible, I would drop to 7 fps @ stonefort.

I know the streamer Modz has an absurd computer and I asked him to show his fps when he was in a 4 man group and he was at like 40 fps.
holy crap you guys are nerds...

i was hoping some one would say

"best buy this macbook... $1400"

... but someone said partitioning instead.
check out newegg.com they have some laptops that will run diablo3 for around $400. check lenovo laptops out. they have some great specs and aren't too high.
Well to me the cheapest computer would be a free computer :D