Red gem in helm

General Discussion
Just curious as to what you think of players having a red gem in their helms?

I have used one while leveling my characters to level 60 (paragon 0) which I think is sensible.

But lately I've noticed many players in pub games MP8 to 10 clearly undergeared with red gems in their helms, predictably they die a lot, sure the experience must be great but all that dying cant be much fun of an experience.

I have seen paragon 100 players in MP10 who would be best suited to MP5, I suspect this is the end result of having a red gem in your helm too long, too much " bonus experience" not enough real experience.

Doesn't bother me apart from slowing down to revive, but it really cant be much fun for them.
I use a ruby in my helm and have no trouble running MP 9 solo. Mp 10 I sometimes skip the elites.
In multi-player I can run with MP 9 & 10 so long as each player in the group can carry their own weight.

Players who run in the higher MP's and die often (With or without a ruby in the helm) are there to be carried by others so they can get experience and drops. They are unable to contribute to the slaying of monsters and don't belong in the run. When I see this I leave the game, and fiind one where the players are able to be a contributing party member.
Before the patch, I had an exp gem in my helm as well, but now with the new multiplayer buff, and the added exp bonus for higher MP levels, the extra 30-40% exp is worthless when you are getting 1200% plus exp at the higher MP levels.
still use it solo'ing, call me old fashioned bros
I think if you're in mp10 before you are pl100 you're doing it wrong. If you still have experience to gain then you should be running an efficient MP with a ruby in your helmet. Between your helm, your hellfire ring, your companion's hellfire ring, the MP4-6 xp bonus, and 5 stacks of valor you will gain xp way faster than you would without a ruby in your helm on MP10. Or even with a ruby.

Because MP10 monsters have like 8 times the health of mp5 monsters and the killing is just too slow.
Pretty simple, I used a red gem on all solo xp or multiplayer xp runs with friends.

If I was doing ubers or high MP runs, I'd pop it out and throw my purple one in as you're not getting much xp on uber runs anyway.

This is a case when you should tailor your gear to what you're doing. Way to easy to swap gems - no excuse not to be doing it.
My take on helm gems is based entirely on resource scarcity.

There are lots of things to kill, granting experience. Very few areas where you have to work at finding something to kill. Experience is not a scarce resource.

Darned near everything you kill drops some gold, and finding things to kill is easy, so gold is not all that scarce of a resource.

At lower levels especially, you get more benefit from vitality in a non-helm socket than a +%, but there is a tipping point. So at higher levels, an amethyst is a reasonable choice.

That leaves magic find. Sure, must things drop items. While experience and gold increases are more tangible, magic find is not. A little extra magic find tips the scales from finding whites and blues to finding golds and blues to finding mostly golds. And the way items are checked, better items are more likely. Sure, the item rolls will still be unaffected, but you get more chances. Good items are the scarcest resource. At lower levels you need better items for gear check advancement, at higher levels for refinement.

Rubies and Emeralds in helms just do not make any sense. Gold and XP are everywhere and easy to find. At lower levels an amethyst in a non-helm socket is better life benefit, so in a helm it doesn't make sense. Items are the most scarce resource, only a Topaz makes sense until you hit Magic find cap. In my opinion, a Topaz in the helm makes sense until you can hit the Magic Find cap without it, then an Amethyst for life %.
Some food for thought.
The biggest bonus of hitting p100 is finally dumping the red gem and getting a boost in hp. With multiplicative xp in a group game, the xp boost can be worth more than double... 60%xp is small compared to 1k% but it still adds up over the course of 100 paragon levels.
[quote="88732291649"]Items are the most scarce resource, only a Topaz makes sense until you hit Magic find cap. In my opinion, a Topaz in the helm makes sense until you can hit the Magic Find cap without it, then an Amethyst for life %.

I disagree with this. Open sockets are a resource as well. Why not use the socket in your helm more efficently? Once you hit a certain point, 31% magic find is negligible. Magic find suffers from diminsihing returns. Emeralds in helms are mostly useless, as the buff to gold find just isn't that effective either. Because of this, I feel like the % life or % bonus XP is a more valuable way to use the socket in my helm. If i'm not P100, I use a ruby unless i'm doing high MP or ubers, then I use an Amethyst.

Also, you can make a pretty good case for a ruby being straight up better than a topaz in a helm, for anyone under I dunno, like paragon 70 maybe? 31% magic find is approximately ten paragon levels. Depending on where you're at, getting XP faster to level faster will get you to the same MF level. Like if my MF is +100%, I can either buff it to 131%, or I can level up faster with a ruby to achieve the same MF. And you get a free coupe stat points along the way.
Also, I say 31% cause i'm not putting a marquise in my helm right now. I don't have an extra one lying around and 2% bonus XP isn't worth 20 mil to me right now. I'm curious to know how many people wear Leoric's Signet in addition to HF ring and helm ruby. And how deep into MP they've made it before it stops being effective.

I haven't done any math to back it up, but around MP 5 I tend to take off the signet because it feels like I gain XP faster by ditching the XP bonus for a better ring like a trifecta. The increase in DPS seems to more than make up for the Signet's XP bonus, anybody else experience anything similar with Leoric's Signet? Mine is only 23% bonus XP, f.y.i
Also, I say 31% cause i'm not putting a marquise in my helm right now. I don't have an extra one lying around and 2% bonus XP isn't worth 20 mil to me right now. I'm curious to know how many people wear Leoric's Signet in addition to HF ring and helm ruby. And how deep into MP they've made it before it stops being effective.

I haven't done any math to back it up, but around MP 5 I tend to take off the signet because it feels like I gain XP faster by ditching the XP bonus for a better ring like a trifecta. The increase in DPS seems to more than make up for the Signet's XP bonus, anybody else experience anything similar with Leoric's Signet? Mine is only 23% bonus XP, f.y.i

IMO the idea is to make the rest of your gear make up for the loss of an effective ring. It is entirely possible to farm mp5 without decent rings and a 20-30% bonus is enormous. Most people dont think it is, but it is.

To illustrate this, lets make up some numbers.

Lets say it takes 1,000,000 xp to get from PL0 to PL100. Lets also say every monster in the game is worth 100xp base and you are farming mp5, giving you 60% bonus. You are also wearing a 30% signet and a 35% hellfire and a 31% ruby in your helmet for a total bonus of 156%. Now all monsters are worth 256xp.

Without bonus xp from gear, it would take you 6250 kills to get to pl100. With the bonus it takes you 3907 kills. By wearing the xp gear you are cutting your leveling time by 38%. Thats pretty enormous. Essentially, by the time you hit pl100 with your xp gear on, you would only have been pl62 without it.
This is a great topic, and something I've recently been thinking about too. I'm guilty of habitually using red gems for my helmet, but recently my buddies have been trying to get me into MP10 games where I'm dying more frequently than I'd like. I know I should swap to an amethyst, but I'm reluctant to give up that XP boost.

I think I'm just going to buy another version of my set helm for low MP farming, and put a ruby in that. Anyone else buy two helms as a solution?
I use different helms. a main (amethyst) and an exp farming. (ruby of course)

edit i also have an emerald'd helm for GF
This is a great topic, and something I've recently been thinking about too. I'm guilty of habitually using red gems for my helmet, but recently my buddies have been trying to get me into MP10 games where I'm dying more frequently than I'd like. I know I should swap to an amethyst, but I'm reluctant to give up that XP boost.

I think I'm just going to buy another version of my set helm for low MP farming, and put a ruby in that. Anyone else buy two helms as a solution?

As other people have stated: you should be having - on solo games - no trouble surviving on the mp you want to play on pubs. An Ameth isn't going to really be a game changer in terms of EHP. You should've been surviving on that mp without it in the first place.
I have a yellow gem in my helm because......well, why not? It's 1 free paragon level in terms of magic find.

It really depends on a few factors. How is your overall vitality with the ruby in your helm now, and will the Amethyst add that much more vitality to help you survive ?

We we need to know all your stats, and character to see if it would make an appreciable difference in your particular case.