[Suggestion]: The Mystic [Pt.1] - Seals

General Discussion
Hi guys!

Here's my idea:

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/95131-suggestion-the-mystic-pt-1-seals/

I'm sorry for the cross-link but the post contains a lot of images and I think the reading is much more enjoyable on Diablofans.com

Like if you like! :)

Edit: Highly Rated achieved! Thanks for supporting my ideas! This repays me of all the effort I put into these ideas! Thanks again everyone!
Mistic will join us in the expansion, same as Larzuk did in D2.
05/27/2013 07:00 AMPosted by Evantis
Mistic will join us in the expansion, same as Larzuk did in D2.

Yeah, probably.
wow,props for the work done...impressive
As I said on the DFans topic, this is a great use of the Mystic that was taken out before the game's release.

If the developers were looking for a way to add in the mystic with more depth than just "Change a skill on my item," this is definitely it!

Well thought out topic for sure.
OMG PLEASE BLIZZARD FFS, HIRE THIS GUY

Combine exactly what this guy is talking about (in all of his dream posts), with some endless dungeons, new areas, new monsters, new affixes, and you can EASILY breathe new life into Diablo 3 without having to try to jam it all in (that's what she said) when it comes expansion time.
Wow...... is all I can say!! Great work and great idea's.....keep up the good work and I really hope something along these lines gets implemented.
Thanks guys :)
Brilliant post Edriel! :D

Unfortunately 90% of the people that post here to the official forums won't bother reading it as they'd prefer to troll and/or whinge for nerfs. :P

EDIT: Also, although personally I'd love a feature like the one you described, the development team have a strict philosophy about keeping everything overtly simple in the game. Wyatt, Travis and Jay in the past, have all stated they hate the idea of too many options that clutter the UI. Personally I love the idea of more options though! It's a shame they assume their playerbase is so easily disconcerted by a detailed UI. -_-
pay attn to this type of feedback blizzard!
I know that this idea for the "Diablo 3 philosophy" is too much but I'd like a deeper-depth game.

Diablo 3 is a good game and pretty easy to understand with nothing to "learn"... only a click and smash which is ok for the "short term" but not so good for the "long term".

A game with "easy-to-understand-mechanics" is just linear and in my opinion is not what Diablo 3 needs right now.

I'm not saying to implement things that are very complicated to understand but this game needs some more depth and "linearity" is not doing the job.
I know that this idea for the "Diablo 3 philosophy" is too much but I'd like a deeper-depth game.

Diablo 3 is a good game and pretty easy to understand with nothing to "learn"... only a click and smash which is ok for the "short term" but not so good for the "long term".

A game with "easy-to-understand-mechanics" is just linear and in my opinion is not what Diablo 3 needs right now.

I'm not saying to implement things that are very complicated to understand but this game needs some more depth and "linearity" is not doing the job.

I 100% agree! If only the dev team understood we can handle mechanics with a bit of complexity.
Wow, suggestions complete with UI. Nice job OP.
05/28/2013 02:18 AMPosted by snowybell
Wow, suggestions complete with UI. Nice job OP.

Cheers :)
Any other comment on this idea? :)
bump for the time, effort and great work! Speak up peeps!
as nice as this Idea sounds, but this is a no go:

What is the purification of the seal?

If the player reaches a point where the percentage of "breakability" is high he can decide to use the seal for an enchant so he can avoid to break it prematurely.
To be able to use the seal the player has to purify it by freeing and destroying the evil souls trapped into it.

Basically when the evil souls are free, the seal will disappear from the altar (more on this later) and some elite monsters will appear.
These monsters will be as powerful as the seal was.
Once the player has killed every monster of that elite pack, the last one killed will drop the seal in its purified form.
The purified seal allows the player to enchant a white item (more on this on the fourth part).
Elite monsters can also appear when the seal breaks prematurely, so it is important to handle these new items with care!

Another very important thing: if the player is not able to kill the spawned elite monsters the seal is lost forever!

So the player has to be careful to not make the evil souls too powerful!

So you have a chance to lose content you worked for for ever? Thats maybe something you can do for hardcore.

But for a loot based game like Diablo 3, this is not a good idea. Imagine you would lose the runewords you collected in Diablo 2, and things you might have worked for for several months. This WILL frustrate people and they will stop playing the moment they lost the progress of months. - When people play hardcore they go exactly for that experience, so that doesnt count!

A very nice idea in theory. And I would actualy like to see something similar in the game. But its not the first idea that goes in a similar direction. Remove the losing of "seals" and it could be very great. Its sadly just as silly like people that suggest goblins can steal items from you.

Touching the items of players is a no go in loot games!
Nice work! Here some critics :D

Why white items? We don't pick up blue or yellow items any more and now we should pick up every white item? I think it would be too frustrating to pick up every white item to just check if we could use it. Might be better if we could use rare/yellow items somehow and not white items.

There are some other problems too like people would just use it to build bis items. For weapon it would be: socket, CD, Life steal, Primary attribute and high damage. All other options are good as none. (if it's not possible then there are no reason to use it.) So better option could be just option to re-roll some item affixes. That way we can work our gear and make it better.
@CrniVuk
Yeah I know :)

I just added an edit note to the post.

I will write it here too:

I'm not a fan myself of "break things" mostly if you have worked so hard to obtain those things.
As I wrote in a post on reddit I couldn't come up with anything else other than this "breakability" and I think that some features needs some downsides to make the game less linear.
Of course the "breakability" can be removed and changed to something else so that's why I'm writing here an idea by the player Diablo (EU - EN) that I really liked:
"instead of adding more seal breakability, with every seal lvl, it should add the chance of decreasing the seal of 1 seal lvl, so it would not get destroyed, but just lose one lvl. bcs it would be really annoying and propably really hard otherwise to get a lvl 10 seal."

@ile
Well I thought of white items because I wanted to give them some utility.
Of course, if ever implemented, this is an idea that should be in the game by the time the itemization patch has been live for quite some time.

Mine is just a base idea that can be modified because I know that some things might be unbalanced or too complex.

Well... devs are there for those reasons too eheh :)
instead of "breaking" it in a way that it dissapears let the Seal simply be dissabled unless you can repair it again with some other specific item/seal/what ever.

That way the progress you worked for months doesnt just dissapear, and you encourage players to get out there and do something against it.

This could also work as a gold sink, as the Mystic has to repair it for you of course.