Serious Lag issues since patch 1.08

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
That's a fantastic video to highlight the problems leaf!
Does it look like the probs you are experiencing?
06/26/2013 08:04 AMPosted by leaf
Does it look like the probs you are experiencing?

Strikingly similar. I can still play the game, the slowdowns don't appear to be as lengthy in duration as yours. But the video is good in that it shows clearly how poor the title performs. It is not by any metric 'normal'.
The very same though not as bad as yours either.

I'll Try screencasting mine too then, try and include this ctrl-r FPS counter too if you're to do another screecast.
should i just uninstall d3
and try a clean reinstall of it, would that help?
i dont want to do that because it would take many hours to d/l game and re-install it[/quote]

This will not help your situation. I am sorry to inform you but this has been an ongoing problem for a TON of ppl for months now(since 1.08). Same thing has happened with me to the point where I had to stop playing the game. Good luck on your quest, as ive tried literally 1,000s of different ways including a format/fresh install to fix the lag. Nothing has helped at all. Me and a few hundred others finally came to the conclusion that's its NOT on our end. So until Blizz fixes this issue, the terrible lag will remain and they will continue to lose players. Good luck on your "quest"!
The very same though not as bad as yours either.

I'll Try screencasting mine too then, try and include this ctrl-r FPS counter too if you're to do another screecast.

Please do Keao
Having the same issues on a Early 2011 MBP, I have the high performance graphics turned on all the time but I'm getting about 12 FPS just sitting in town? 9 or so when out thwarting ...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f4
Serial Number (system): C02F520GDF8X
Hardware UUID: 3A4CDEB6-CD5D-5A4B-8366-B8218B6ED72B
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.23
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
LED Cinema Display:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: 2A035DMY6JL
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.4.0
Boot Volume: The Vault
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 3:52
UPDATE: Noticeable Improvement

Ok so I'm using on an early 2011 MBP 15" (1GB VRAM), I have a 27" cinema display connected as a second monitor. I've been unable to get my FPS above 10-15 at max since sometime in the past month...

After spending some time yesterday and today researching possible fixes, this is what I found which helped get my average FPS up to around 25-30.

Video Options:

Running in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode.
Set Texture Quality to Low
Set Shadow Quality to Off
Set Physics to Low
Set Clutter Density to Off
check "Low FX"
Max Foreground FPS 40
Max Background FPS 1

Pick the resolution you like, i'm using 1318x742 on my 27" cinema display.

now here's the thing which made a noticeable difference, this url:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/01/improve-diablo-3-performance-in-mac-os-x/

describes how to turn off Trilinear Filtering in the prefs file which gave me easily 10 additional FPS which made the game quite playable.

I've also quite other applications when I play.

Hope this helps anyone having the same issue on a MBP
Here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=NMUp5xog47M

The settings I used you'll get to see in the video, the hardware is a 27 inches iMac with 8GB RAM a standard HDD and a GTX675MX graphic card with 1GB DDR5
Tried installing the game on an external SSD drive and improved the performance a bit.

However the game should run fine on a normal HDD no need for an SSD or Fusion drive.

Again would be nice to have someone from the community team to comment back here.
Tried installing the game on an external SSD drive and improved the performance a bit.

However the game should run fine on a normal HDD no need for an SSD or Fusion drive.

Again would be nice to have someone from the community team to comment back here.

Will fall on deaf ears. I've said the same thing in regards to solutions like above.
I'm having similar issues, and it all started since 1.08.

I can play solo without noticeable lag. But as soon as I enter a public game, the lag is paralyzing. Everything stutters, and it lasts for a long time. The game even freezes for several seconds whenever a player enters or leaves the game.

Wish I could enjoy the multiplayer improvements...
*Update*

Finally made the partition for a Windows 7, Bootcamp. Never looking back, the OSX client has serious flaws which don't exist on Windows. I don't experience 'Stuttering' or debilitating slowdowns anymore.

Disappointed in Blizzard.
Here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=NMUp5xog47M

The settings I used you'll get to see in the video, the hardware is a 27 inches iMac with 8GB RAM a standard HDD and a GTX675MX graphic card with 1GB DDR5

That link didnt work for me Keao, just goes to a youtube file not found page. Would love to see it though... I have tried everything, including submitting a ticket to Blizzard and attempting all of the recommended things to improve performance.
Keao put in the edit URL, only accessible to him. This is the real URL for his video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMUp5xog47M
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Ok, thanks, I watched it... Yeah that looks sort of similiar to my issue, but yours is more of a "choppiness" where mine is more of a "drag". After submitting a ticket to blizz, I got this response:
----------------------------------------------
Howdy there!

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your graphics issues. I've got some instructions I want you to try to make sure that your computer isnt' overheating as This sounds very similar to what happens when your graphics card begins melting. You can check out the instructions here: http://us.battle.net/support/article/6003

In addition you may also want to try these steps here as well: http://us.battle.net/support/article/8900093. Resetting the SMC can also help make sure that the voltage going out to all of your devices is the right levels and can also help prevent overheating as well.

Should neither of those help you simply reply back with another system info file for us to see the changes on our end as well ^_^ If there’s anything else we can assist you with, please open up a support ticket. <https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/contact> - Warmest Regards, Game Master Ethimedwarus
--------------------------------------

I did the things that he mentioned, and it actually really helped the issue. I still get pretty !@#$ty FPS when i go into serious battle in a full server, but that's always been the case. A while ago I started putting my laptop on a towel because I was placing it on a surface that I didn't want to damage... According to the article above, this could have been causing some overheating..... I'm going to try a cooling surface or run a fan on it too. I also reset the SMC, so I am not sure what is making the difference, but I can play again. Best of luck to you guys, I hope this helps!
I always was interested in a comparison between Windows and OS X performance. So decided I make a small video as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ZspywJBTg

So in general I guess it is ok-ish. On OS X the performance really can go down the drain quickly. Dropping the FPS counter from around 50 down to single digits. I have no idea if that is a general Diablo performance problem or if it is an OS X OpenGL bottleneck though. On Windows the impact at least is much less. Which is a pity since I think the OS X client itself feels much better than the Windows one for me - unless the performance hit kicks in.
Nice video Tuna.
I always was interested in a comparison between Windows and OS X performance. So decided I make a small video as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ZspywJBTg

So in general I guess it is ok-ish. On OS X the performance really can go down the drain quickly. Dropping the FPS counter from around 50 down to single digits. I have no idea if that is a general Diablo performance problem or if it is an OS X OpenGL bottleneck though. On Windows the impact at least is much less. Which is a pity since I think the OS X client itself feels much better than the Windows one for me - unless the performance hit kicks in.

I would say it's both Tuna. Neither client is optimized very well - the physics having its own thread on a separate core would help with the constant framerate spikes immensely. But OpenGL on OS X is several generations behind the current (which is at 4.2 I believe). Mavericks finally gets that put in, but it is unclear whether or not it is properly done, and only partial 4.2 compliance is in AFAICS.

It's a shame really since OS X handles multiple CPUs far better than Windows does, yet the performance lags so far behind because Apple can't get its head out of its rear end and put in proper OpenGL in currently supported OSes. OpenGL 4 has been out for over three years now and even though we're finally going to get some love in that area in Mavericks, it's still not complete. It almost feels like Apple only puts effort into the parts of the OS that can be iOSified.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
OS X was always a little behind performance wise on games so I kind of expected that. I think the current OpenGL version on OS X should be fine to get decent performance. But I imagine that the graphics driver by NVIDIA/Apple probably gets 1/10th of the attention of the Windows counterpart.

But in general I actually was hoping to perform better on that hardware. I'm not that well educated on current GPU hardware but I kind of hoped that while the 640 is not the biggest muscle player on the market (I chose that one to have a passive cooled GPU) that it would handle close to 60 FPS at the lowest graphics settings. Too bad it doesnt though. Lowering resolution just doesn't cut it from a picture quality point of view. Non native resolution is just 'meh'.

I also kind of noticed that switching from Ball Lightning to Bombardment seems to cause a lesse performance hit. But may just have been an impression.

It might indeed also be the physics of debris that is flying around while creating havoc. I thought this stuff would have been disabled at "fast" mode or whatever option it was in the menu.. Maybe having more tuning option to reduce some things a little more would be nice. Maybe there is another trick like the trilinear filtering thing in the prefs file to play around with? For me smooth gameplay is key even if I would miss the killing blow gibs and blood stains in my face..