Blizzard why don't you care?

Hardcore
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
Hi Grimiku is there any chance to implement some mechanism that prevent HC charater die because of D/C?

I play on Asian server with my friends. We all suffer from D/C problems. We constantly talk about how to build a character that can survive D/C.

One guy have 7 barb die due to D/C and he create a 8th one but never log in again.

Asian server hosted in Korea, but my friends are from Hongkong/Taiwan/China mainland/Singapore. D/C is inevitable. And ISP provider can't help because it's 'complicated'.

Is it possible to put a game into a pause when D/C happen, and when player reconnected they are able to resume?
Zero I got you bro. D/C is bogus and Blizz doesn't give a fudge about the disconnect timer issue for some reason. But fight on my friend, you have many allies.
I've been playing D3 since late april, HC exclusively as soon as i could. In AUS on Telstra. stable 180-200 ping, haven't had a single D/C. Lost some chars to graphics lockup shortly after 1.08 but that seems to have been resolved.
to oldthunder maybe you have been playing since release but you have only 173k life time kills, keep playing dc will come to you
As a person who lost 3 toons to dc, and after reading the new blue post I guess blizzard really doesnt care
Cookie-cutter response from a blue isn't good enough, I'm sorry. Admit you have lag issues and pursue fixing them. Keep the player-base updated on what you're doing as far as that goes. I haven't lost my new toon yet to hc but me and my friends (7 of us) that recently picked it up have already had to make a resolution to not be mad when we do lose our toons to lag. That's kind of sad. The hc community is one of the best pve communities out there, and d3 players in general (those that even play the game still) have had to be far too patient so far. I don't agree with consistent whining but the bottom line is you sold all of us an open beta to begin with. Matter of fact you knew what it would be like on launch, you gave it to your wow player-base for free.
06/07/2013 12:10 AMPosted by Devangel
and after reading the new blue post I guess blizzard really doesnt care

yea that's what I read too. it's like 'hey it's your problem not mine solve on your own".
06/06/2013 09:51 PMPosted by Grimiku
Good luck with getting the problem resolved, and thanks for your patience!

this must be the first time i c blue post on dc thread and i have to say that i am... DISSAPOINTED..
PLZ PLZ implement a proper dc protection, numerous solutions and proposals have been made in the forums, this issue can't keep on going like this,..

I don't understand why a technical problem (blackout, server lag, provider failure, my cat that pulled the wire, ETs invading from mars) is able TO DELETE MY xxx hours spent on my char.. answer this if u can..

edit, i play eu for the trolls
I find it difficult to believe that Grimiku could be as dense as to not realize that there is a big issue with disconnection deaths. Whether or not they are the fault of the client or server is irrelevant to the matter. They happen and something can be done about it.

The fact that the issue is glossed over with a "cookie cutter" response that evades the true issue tells me one thing. Grimiku has been instructed to not confirm, deny or possibly even discuss DC protection. The reason being that to confirm it is coming could harm console sales. To deny that it will ever come could cause people to quit the game.

In terms of keeping players active it seems it is better to leave them in a state of limbo with a shadow of a hope than disappoint them. I expect the reality of the matter is that the Diablo 3 team is probably running a skeleton crew of programmers who aren't willing or able to risk implementing such core functionality.

It isn't financially viable to invest in implementing DC protection for people who have already paid for the game. This is pretty much the same reason the promised PvP was never delivered on. People paid for the game, there is no more money to be had investing in PvP development. It is a publicly discussed idea that those who control human resources at Blizzard are not interested in satisfied customers beyond direct financial gain.

This is perhaps a pessimistic, but accurate, account. I would be glad to be told I am wrong.
So far all my d/c's have come from my ISP or modem hiccup. Servers seem much more stable than Diablo 2.
i think if you read between the lines that was the blue way of saying "try and make your connection run better, because we have no intention on changing the current mechanic"

which is understandable, its his job to be impartial and relay information (and im sure he has no authority to change something like this on his own, or make that kind of call).
at the very least, theyve read our complaints, and so it is a known issue. lets just not let them forget the blood on their hands ;)

who knows, maybe someone at blizz will have a DC death on their best character, then they'll see, THEN THEY"LL ALL SEE
Reduce to 5 second timer. If your internet is unstable it will DC'ed in 5 seconds no matter what to prevent DC delays of up to 1minute cant be hard right ?
I lost my barb this morning due to D/C.......had been in the same game for an hour, hit the jar of souls, 1 skele pops up, follower quits moving, Disconnect, back to home screen dead. This is not fair for HC players.

~Grumpy
Such is the risk we run in HC, I have never DC'd from a game, only lag every so often and I know that's on my end on the rare days it does happen. Perhaps people constantly DC'ing should start to evaluate there computer, drivers, and ISP. Coming from someone whose never dc'd in ~300 hours I tend to think that people having this issue regularly and will be game breaking for them should take the time to properly troubleshoot the issue

For anyone who lost a character to DC I hope you reroll and get your issues figured out, glory to the fallen, you all fought valiantly

For people who may want solid technical advice I work as a network admin/penetration tester (hoping to go full time pentesting shortly; someone needs to quit!) for a company in the midwest. I can assist with any all your questions and issues and the first thing Ill ask is for you to look into your logs probably similarly to what blizzard would ask. Hopefully they would ask at least...

For those of you curious on windows

Start > Control Panel > Admin tools > Event Logs

-Start with system and network, work out to other critical errors; some may be irrelevant

take a look for any critical error/issues that occurred during or around the same time as your DC. You can't complain about DC unless you do the proper troubleshooting to resolve it; and then you won't have to complain. If its your ISP it will be more difficult to determine the issue since it could be related to network spikes, packet loss, loss of sync, intermittent connectivity or even maintenance (possibly even PPP radius issues if your unfortunate enough to be on PPPoE or PPPoA; typically DSL)

For people running on Mac's the steps aren't much different but all the best information will require a terminal and would prefer to assist on an individual basis instead of writing a book for steps to run the proper commands to access information that may change based on your setup

If your willing to take the time; I'd be happy to help you investigate. I would even be pleased to find it was truly not client side, I personally don't believe that's the case though at this time... Until my information changes

This offer stands for anyone whose interested and takes the time to care about resolving the issue and not just complaining; It's gotten no one anywhere yet.

Lyracx
06/07/2013 03:52 AMPosted by lufia
Reduce to 5 second timer. If your internet is unstable it will DC'ed in 5 seconds no matter what to prevent DC delays of up to 1minute cant be hard right ?

This attempt is quite tempting, but disconnecting after 5 seconds of an unstable line would make it impossible to play for people that have a bad connection in general. They would be kicked every now and then.

The timer should instead start to count the moment the connection is lost completely which seems to happen regularly. It must absolutely be possible to check if the client has stopped doing requests or not.

In D2 you had the possiblity to "chicken out" with alt+F4. Even though this has been misused to get out of critical situation it is still better than having your char standing around without control and waiting to be killed. They should add a little timer that waits 2-3 seconds so you can not use this to escape when you are on low life. This can´t be that difficult!

Right now I have absolutely no incentive to play. SC feels dull and HC senseless because it is the most likely to die from a disconnect rather than by any real threat. When I read such blue-responses my break will propably last several months longer, real changes seem to take forever if they are ever addressed.

06/07/2013 04:35 AMPosted by Lyracx
Perhaps people constantly DC'ing should start to evaluate there computer, drivers, and ISP.

Even if you can figure out where the problems are resulting from you sometimes can´t do anything against it or it would need you to invest a decent amout of money to change the situation. Speaking for myself I am pretty sure my disconnects are coming from my ISP. If i wanted to canged my ISP there is no guarantee that the problem is solved with a new provider but the connection fee is lost and I would maybe even have to pay for a new router (current one is borrowed). My connection is not that bad, but there are disconnects every 2-3 weeks that would have a good chance to kill my char.

Even if there are connection problems this should not make it impossible to play HC.
Even if you can figure out where the problems are resulting from you sometimes can´t do anything against it or it would need you to invest a decent amout of money to change the situation. Speaking for myself I am pretty sure my disconnects are coming from my ISP. If i wanted to canged my ISP there is no guarantee that the problem is solved with a new provider but the connection fee is lost and I would maybe even have to pay for a new router (current one is borrowed). My connection is not that bad, but there are disconnects every 2-3 weeks that would have a good chance to kill my char.

Even if there are connection problems this should not make it impossible to play HC.

Yes. Yes it should make it impossible to play a game where if you die your dead for good. As a consumer you should force your ISP to fix the issue, if your in a rural area and only have a smaller telecommunication company providing service then perhaps HC is the wrong game mode. And this is exactly why blizzard can't fix the issue

I do think it speaks a lot to your character though that you realize the problem is probably on your ISP's end. Most here wouldn't give it the time of day; so even though its a bad situation your honest and upfront about it.

Lyracx
^im gonna try that stuff you suggested when i get home, although i suspect its just a combination of unreliable wireless and my sister logging into the sims 3 DIRECTLY BETWEEN ME AND THE ROUTER.

dumb beaver

(there have been times when ive seen blizz DC everyone in our party, or most of them and the rest of us get severe lag)
Personally as a EU HC player i consider /and i am sure i am not alone/

"a DC DEAD IS THE MOST EPIC FAILURE in this game"

, unfortunately they dont want to fix it because there is no RMAH in HC and softcore people have different problems and priorities...and Blizz dont want paying SC ppl to move to HC of course...
..and just for the arguments that the problem must be allways on a player side,...do you remember the mass EU server crashes from before yesterday? from april ? the big one in February when so many ppl died? is that really on my end if hundreds players post threads about mass disconect and problems with login? really is this on our side also in those cases? ... cmon, so pathetic, but the game is fine, thats why i play it, just that ignorance of HC ppl, thats horrible :-( its killing the game and the name of Blizzard with huge effect :( please change the statement or change people who thinks this is ok, its not, its crazy it changes HC from chalenge to Lottery!,... LOTTERY!!!
I've randomly just stopped my character in a middle of a fight just to see if I can survive 10 seconds - it's usually fine for 10 seconds but any longer than that is pushing death. Only problem is that it's more like 50 seconds downtime as witnessed countless times by others and testing (http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7339954926)

It is annoying that Blizzard specifically programmed this timer as something that supposed to help us HC players but in the long run, it ends up hurting us instead due to the poor implementation of DC detection. They should just fix the 10 second timer on DCs and imo that should be all that's needed - as 10 seconds is what has been designed into the original game specs and not 50 secs.
Yes. Yes it should make it impossible to play a game where if you die your dead for good. As a consumer you should force your ISP to fix the issue, if your in a rural area and only have a smaller telecommunication company providing service then perhaps HC is the wrong game mode. And this is exactly why blizzard can't fix the issue

Forcing my ISP to fix the issue is a bit tricky, as I would have to prove that the problem is within their network and not within the wiring of the apartment house. The hotline of my ISP ensured me that if I call for an employee of the ISP to measure the wiring and there is a problem with the houses wiring or the problem does not occur right then I would have to pay for the measurement and the employees drive.

Besides from playing HC the connections stability is really sufficient, which is why I am not willing to spent money on it and why I am still hoping for blizzard to address that issue in some way. It is just a bit sad that playing HC is impossible for me just because it takes that long to kick the char from the game on DC´s. I haven´t tried it out, but I am pretty confident that I would be able to play HC on D2 without facing such problems. Maybe I should give the new ladder a try ;)

Nonetheless, I want to thank you for your honest response, Lyracx. This is unfortunately not something naturally on this forum :)