Heroes and USB Sticks: Cheating Concerns

Console Discussion
What security precautions are in place to prevent cheating, exploiting, and editing heros/items equipped?

Also, how will blizzard deal with those who do such things if and exploit is found?
The console iteration will be played on the respective manufacturer's native online hub (PSN and XBLive) so Blizzard will have little control over how hacks and edits are detected and dealt with. It is primarily the responsibility of Sony and Microsoft to implement anti-cheating measures onto their game servers.

Considering player characters and profiles will be saved to HDD (wherein they would be altered) as well as the server (cloud), it's actually not unrealistic to expect Microsoft and Sony to implement such measures. It would require a simple comparison of the HDD files to the backed up server files, if any alteration is found appropriate action can be taken.

A scenario to better explain this;

PC Version: Blizzard sells you a RC car to play with but you can only play with it in their private park (Battle.net). Blizzard have control over the park and can enforce their own set of rules, this means you can't make alterations to the RC car.

Console version: Blizzard sell you a RC car to play with and you say goodbye. You play with the RC car in a different park (PSN and Xbox Live). Sony and Microsoft have control over the park and can enforce their own set of rules, this means depending on those rules you may or may not be able to make alterations to the RC car.
I doubt that either Sony or MS would go out of their way to implement any kind of Diablo-specific anti cheating measures. It's just one of many games being played on their networks, and I'm aware of no other game that's received special treatment.

There are probably systems in place to prevent hacks being used during game sessions, but there's very little to be done to stop a player from tinkering with a save file on a USB stick.

Considering player characters and profiles will be saved to HDD (wherein they would be altered) as well as the server (cloud), it's actually not unrealistic to expect Microsoft and Sony to implement such measures. It would require a simple comparison of the HDD files to the backed up server files, if any alteration is found appropriate action can be taken.

As far as I know, cloud storage is an option. Any player who chooses "HDD" instead of "Cloud" when the XBOX asks where to save will not have a cloud file. And, even if it did work as you say, this would prevent players from progressing offline, and would also not prevent players from dropping items on the ground and disconnecting before the system updates either the local save or a cloud save.

There will just probably be some cheating. We'll survive, don't worry.
Just encrypt the saves. I always love to share my saves with friends or people over forums such as seven sins and TTG and i encrypt them to where they can't exploit the stuff i have on them such as leaking items ive made myself and stuff etc. also to where they can't mod them and stuff. ive boasted it and have yet to see anyone argue against it and if i can do it over a tut i watched, blizz im sure can implement it in some way.
D2 has closed and open realm mode where closed realm is server only so your character is protected from being hex edited.

I wonder if the drops are determined client side as imo its easier for one person to figure out an exploit to drop godly items on demand.
It will sure be annoying grouping up with people doing 99999dps with their hacked items
Lol just like how PC has the Self-found leagues, we will probably have to make the "pure" leagues for those who play un-hacked.
06/26/2013 02:11 PMPosted by Velisael
Lol just like how PC has the Self-found leagues, we will probably have to make the "pure" leagues for those who play un-hacked.