Will D3 support OpenGL4 with OS X Mavericks?

Mac Technical Support
Running D3 on mavericks but cannot get it to fullscreen on my secondary display and in fullscreen windowed mode the top bar takes up real estate now, hope there is a fix for this.
Wow ok so apparently this "1 guy" to rule them all graphics dude is actually going to drop 10.6.8

Its in a blue post on the wow forums

"You can just try to install the update from the App Store, it will tell you if your computer is not supported. Maverick should show up in the "Updates" tab if your computer is supported.

We very strongly suggest to everybody who can update to do so.
If you are still on 10.6.8 then you should absolutely update since we will be dropping support for 10.6 completely soon. (WoW will not launch)

The fact that Maverick is free also means that we will accelerate the adoption of new features on OSX. So you don't want to stay behind."

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10312101288

This has got to be good news for Open GL4 support on d3 right?
Hmmmm...so I wonder if that means that the Diablo 3 update for Mavericks will be happening soon as well?
I totally support Blizzard moving their system requirements up to Mavericks if that's the only way. Mavericks is likely going to be the fastest adopted system upgrade in history, because it's FREE. I mean seriously...come on guys. If that means we can't play D3 on older OS software, then that's fine by me. Apple has just changed the game in a big way by offering their OS as a free upgrade. Not to mention Mavericks supports system hardware from 2007 for crying out loud!

I have heard a few people have tried playing D3 on Mavericks already, but one person said their fan speed increased and there was a lot of lag.

Mavericks also has the highest system requirement of any OS released yet. Any Mac that can run ML can run Mavericks, but there are still plenty of powerful Macs out there that can't run past Lion (natively) due to having 32-bit EFI. Making the game inaccessible to that many players would sink Blizzard fast on the Mac side. So they have to balance by supporting the three most current OS releases, the oldest of which becomes the one on "life support" as Apple no longer updates it at all and thus fixing bugs in it is problematic at best.

10/23/2013 12:52 AMPosted by Jsuggs01
Running D3 on mavericks but cannot get it to fullscreen on my secondary display and in fullscreen windowed mode the top bar takes up real estate now, hope there is a fix for this.

This would require a reworking of all Blizzard games to support multi-display fullscreen mode. Currently the best they can do is blank one display while the other has the game. They probably can't make this change until Mavericks becomes the "on life support" OS version because players on previous systems would find fullscreen potentially broken by the update.

10/23/2013 03:36 AMPosted by Azra
Wow ok so apparently this "1 guy" to rule them all graphics dude is actually going to drop 10.6.8

S4d1k is likely doing this out of necessity since there are still a not so insignficant number of users that can't upgrade to Lion or whose workflow is disruptd by Lion badly enough to not permit it (autosave/resumes/versions, none of which can be defeated in Lion but can in ML). The necessity part being that Blizzard can't continue supporting an operating system that will never see another bugfix again and whose mere presence is dragging down all of their games. So Blizzard is choosing the lesser of two evils and trying to make good with the soon to be majoirty and eating whatever losses in players it incurs in the short term.

It is simply mathematics. Cold, hard numbers.

10/23/2013 11:30 AMPosted by Omek
Hmmmm...so I wonder if that means that the Diablo 3 update for Mavericks will be happening soon as well?

For now I would bet on an update to Core Profile and a slight improvement on asset loading, but not much more in the short term. S4d1k has his plate full, in addition to several other plates he has to deal with at the same time. He's going to lay the foundation for future improvements first, and then work on the good stuff when he has the time to do so.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
So we probably can't expect huge improvements until RoS then?
10/25/2013 08:57 AMPosted by Omek
So we probably can't expect huge improvements until RoS then?

TBH I don't expect any significant changes here at all. RoS is a content extension primarily. It still uses the same engine. Changing it significantly would require too much work and probably put things at risk by not working correctly which was previously cautiously taken care of during the development process over a couple of years.

I mean - there are still know issues on disappearing mouse cursors during boss fights listed. You think they would ignore that but instead rewriting the engine to use OpenGL 4 instead of OpenGL 3 (does it even use OpenGL 3 specific features as of now? The engine development was probably done before OpenGL 3 spec was finished - or at least the decision on which standard to rely on probably was..)

My hopes are up in different areas. When RoS goes "Open World" they will hopefully address assets loading. This really seems messed up right now in Diablo. It is equally awful on OS X as it is on Windows and usually causes a few deaths you first start up the game.

Then there is the CPU bottleneck because of the current physics(? maybe it is something else) implementation. Maybe this can be threaded or moved on the GPU or whatever. But the performance hit right now by using different CPUs is insane.

At least I don't know that OpenGL 4 would magically solve for us out of the box or with reasonable effort. Not mentioning the likelihood of these efforts - OS X is not on top of their priority list - is it? And not fall for Apple when they advertise OpenGL 4 as "The next big thing" just because they don't have anything else..
It would be nice to hear an official response about Mavericks support somewhere in the D3 forums now. It's been almost a week with no response.

I agree with all the server problems you mentioned. I thought it was just my machine though. So all those issues happen on Windows machines too?

I always notice that weird slow down right when you port somewhere in the game, and then it speeds up and everything is fine. It's usually just the first port that does it though.

I think OpenGL 4 would bring much better performance. It wouldn't be as good as directX, but it would at least be an improvement I think.
There was a build of Mavericks during its DP cycle that had OpenGL numbers matching DX11 numbers in Windows for both OpenGL 3 and 4 tests. Unfortunately the launch version of Mavericks saw a 10-40% drop in performance on 6xx/7xx nVidia cards and all recent AMD cards vs. 10.8.5. People are hoping it's a bug, but some believe that it is Apple purposely crippling the current crop of cards to make the FirePros look decent for the Mac Pros that are coming out. I'm really really really really hoping it's the former, because the latter reeks of desparation, much like how the cell phone carriers built specific optimizations in for benchmarks that are autodetected and unnaturally ramp up CPU/GPU usage instead of letting them occur organically.

I'm hoping the 10.9.1 seeds resolve this very significant performance issue, because it brings down performance a ton, to the point where you might as well just use 10.8.5 and a 5870 instead of a 7950 and Mavericks.

That said, there's exactly one person who's writing the Mac clients right now for all Blizzard games, and he's got his plate full with other projects too. All the developers are going iOS and nobody's filling the open Mac programming positions. So don't expect OpenGL 4 support soon. However, you can expect 10.6.8 support to go bye bye soon. Very soon. The next major patch for WoW will likely end SL support, and I wouldn't be surprised if D3's support ended there too. And by end, I mean the game won't even launch under SL.

That being the case, Gigabyte is my new best friend. Hackwell Pro FTW.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Wow, well good to know. OMG, would Apple really do that just to make the Mac Pro look better? They're kind of ticking me off lately with making their entire product lineup non-user upgradable. Everything is starting to be glued together.

I'm thinking of just making a Hackintosh with a Windows partition for just playing games. This is getting ridiculous.

I guess I'm sticking with Mountain Lion until I hear otherwise.